When has your comic fan heart been broken?

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

So good ol' Tom gave another great article about the best crossovers which you can check out here.  But for me it stirred something up I thought I had long gotten over. I hadn't.

I was reading through the article when I saw her.  There she was.  It's been years, what do I say? Lord, it's been years but it's still too soon.  I still remember her name. 

JLA/Avengers

JLA/Avengers is a particularly sore point for me.  As the UK contingent of CV will probably know, we have this strange parallel publisher called Panini Comics which has the rights to reprint Marvel and DC comics, usually a few months after the original but it would contain three issues for a bargain price of two pounds forty! (So in Panini's Wolverine and Gambit you would usually get an issue of Wolverine, an issue of Gambit and a 'classic' at the end, usually bronze age to 90's stuff) 

Anyway, an advantage was that most corner shops or magazine shops would stock these, even if it was just one or two.  To be honest I'm not sure the city I grew up in even had a comic book shop at the time.  At that point, Panini was only printing Marvel, i.e. Wolverine and Gambit, Astonishing X-Men, Amazing Spider-man and The Avengers.  So when the 'Coming up next month!' showed Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and (at this stage in my comic book knowledge) some weird green guy with a big brow and a cool looking red guy (I mean, he had a Lightning Bolt on his chest) standing beside Marvel's guys... 

My eyes lit up. My jaw dropped. My heart pumped. My body popped.

That month was a long wait but finally the day came.  I adored the first couple of months seeing these epic battles between these titans. Then it happened.  That amazing cover with seemingly hundreds of heroes jumping out at you.  It was what superheroes were all about. I mean even if you don't read comics, you could appreciate the beauty, the power. In the truest sense to my little eyes, it was awesome. 

So much win, so little room

And that was the problem.

So great was this cover that even if you didn't read comics, you'd want to read this.  I searched high and low, going shop to shop, dissapointed at every turn (raining heavily, of course) I remember walking roughly a 5 mile round journey around my city with a heavy heart, truely dissapointed.  I remember getting home, soaking, my mum asking where I had been and I just gave back a little murmer of "Nowhere. The shop." She wouldn't have understood. To this day, the closest I got to owning that cover lies in my Comic Vine profile, as a neat background and a little reminder. I still don't even know what happen in that third part.

Thus ends my spiel and thus begins my tears.

But what about you? There's bound to be people out there who's experienced this pain, unique to us Viners. What should we call it? Comic Envy? Obsessive Comic Disorder? Cape syndrome?

Has somthing similar ever happened to you?  Ever waited in the rain for an issue only to have it leave with someone else? A favourite issue lost / stolen / ruined? When has your comic book fan heart been ripped out?

Let it out, let it all out.  Remember, this is a safe place.  Today, the Vine will be your rock.
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By turoksonofstone

I had 5 longboxes of Silver/Bronze age DC/Marvel get destroyed by a flood.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Amegashita

My heart sunk when I read Trials of Shazam.  =[  

I can't remember if I cried, I probably did.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By pixelized

No Emma in MUA2

And Morrigan Aensland still using the same moveset since her debut

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

Joe f^^kin Quesada does it every chance he gets, seriously Joe F^^K you

The Gray Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By The Gray Fox

Look in the spoiler...

Drayco90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Drayco90

Civil War. Between the actual sadness of watching a true hero beat down by Iron Man and security winning over true freedom, the wasted potential and some terrible writing really rub salt in the wounds.
-chapel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By -chapel-

When Barbra Gordon got shot. 
When Bruce Wayne said he "Financed the Batman."
Avatar image for silver_knight75
Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Silver Knight75

the death of Spider-Man and Nightcrawler

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty
@turoksonofstone said:
"I had 5 longboxes of Silver/Bronze age DC/Marvel get destroyed by a flood. "

Ouch.  Sorry to hear that... :(
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By turoksonofstone
@xerox-kitty said:
" @turoksonofstone said:
"I had 5 longboxes of Silver/Bronze age DC/Marvel get destroyed by a flood. "
Ouch.  Sorry to hear that... :( "
Thank You.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

EVERYTHING from Marvel in the last 5 years.

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ~The Wanderer~

The announcement of Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds made me happy...until I heard that Superboy Prime was going to be featured in it.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@~The Wanderer~ said:
" The announcement of Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds made me happy...until I heard that Superboy Prime was going to be featured in it. "
It could have been worse. He could have been retconned into being one of the Legion's classic foes.

Oh wait.
rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By rogue_mar1e

the x-men lately :(

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@FadeToBlackBolt: Haha, that reveal was (IMO) fairly well done, that is, until next issue when even the older Prime reverted back to his 5-year-old berserk self...
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@~The Wanderer~:  Haha, I love DC, and I like Johns, but the retcons do wear thin; no matter how well pulled off they are.
.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.
@turoksonofstone:  Those words actually hurt to read, really sorry to hear that.
@Silver Knight75: Elf =(
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By longbowhunter

I took it pretty hard when Agent 355 took a bullet to the head at the end of Y: the Last Man. Really upsetting.
Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Theodore

When Superboy died.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Eternal Chaos

One More Day.

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By Final Arrow

The Death of Bart...they never even gave him the chance to be Flash... F@ckers

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By csimon

When superman came back from the dead after Dooms day killed him. (Yes i wanted him to stay dead. 

When magneto took out Logans adamantium . 

When Spiderman showed to the world who he was in civil war     

Oh Forgot two after the 1st Hulk Movie (Ang Lee Hulk that is) 
And i know i man be the only one But  after Dark knight (Man I hate that movie)
Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Baron_Emo

Valerie's letter in V for Vendetta

csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By csimon

I was pretty sad over Kurt Wagner Death. Yes I seen it coming but still why did he have to Go??? ;*(
Avatar image for silver_knight75
Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Silver Knight75
@csimon said:
" I was pretty sad over Kurt Wagner Died i seen it coming but still why did he have to Go??? ;*( "
I know, it hurts me, too
weaponxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By weaponxxx

When Kitty Pryde phased the giant bullet from Breakworld through the planet and was seemingly lost forever. That was a moment of sadness but also a moment of realization that Kitty was a total badass.
Also when Aunt May got shot because Peter revealed himself as Spidey to the world.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Final Arrow said:
" The Death of Bart...they never even gave him the chance to be Flash... F@ckers "
That was twisted imo. Why DC felt the need to kill so many kids was beyond me. I loved Wally's revenge on Zoom though.
lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By lastdrag0n89

Spider-man 3. and all the Xmen movies...

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.
@FadeToBlackBolt:  Is there a trade that covers all this? I'd really like to read this story. The "I really liked the revenge on zoom" part has my interest. No spoilers please!
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i literally laid down and wept at the end of Marvels: Eye Of The Camera aka Marvels 2.
such a perfect book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@CATMANEXE said:
"i literally laid down and wept at the end of Marvels: Eye Of The Camera aka Marvels 2. such a perfect book. "

How that book didn't get more praise I will never now. It was simply amazing and probably the best book I've read this year.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@.o0Johnny0o. said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt:  Is there a trade that covers all this? I'd really like to read this story. The "I really liked the revenge on zoom" part has my interest. No spoilers please! "
Woops, sorry, it's Inertia that gets owned not Zoom. I only read about it on summaries, not the actual trade, since money's been tight and my stupid constitution requires that I eat rather than buy comic books. But the Flash: the Fastest Man Alive: Full Throttle covers Bart's death, but I'm not sure if it covers Wally owning Inertia. Sorry.
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@.o0Johnny0o. said:
"So good ol' Tom gave another great article about the best crossovers which you can check out here.  But for me it stirred something up I thought I had long gotten over. I hadn't.

I was reading through the article when I saw her.  There she was.  It's been years, what do I say? Lord, it's been years but it's still too soon.  I still remember her name. 

JLA/Avengers

JLA/Avengers is a particularly sore point for me.  As the UK contingent of CV will probably know, we have this strange parallel publisher called Panini Comics which has the rights to reprint Marvel and DC comics, usually a few months after the original but it would contain three issues for a bargain price of two pounds forty! (So in Panini's Wolverine and Gambit you would usually get an issue of Wolverine, an issue of Gambit and a 'classic' at the end, usually bronze age to 90's stuff) 

Anyway, an advantage was that most corner shops or magazine shops would stock these, even if it was just one or two.  To be honest I'm not sure the city I grew up in even had a comic book shop at the time.  At that point, Panini was only printing Marvel, i.e. Wolverine and Gambit, Astonishing X-Men, Amazing Spider-man and The Avengers.  So when the 'Coming up next month!' showed Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and (at this stage in my comic book knowledge) some weird green guy with a big brow and a cool looking red guy (I mean, he had a Lightning Bolt on his chest) standing beside Marvel's guys... 

My eyes lit up. My jaw dropped. My heart pumped. My body popped.

That month was a long wait but finally the day came.  I adored the first couple of months seeing these epic battles between these titans. Then it happened.  That amazing cover with seemingly hundreds of heroes jumping out at you.  It was what superheroes were all about. I mean even if you don't read comics, you could appreciate the beauty, the power. In the truest sense to my little eyes, it was awesome. 

And that was the problem.

So great was this cover that even if you didn't read comics, you'd want to read this.  I searched high and low, going shop to shop, dissapointed at every turn (raining heavily, of course) I remember walking roughly a 5 mile round journey around my city with a heavy heart, truely dissapointed.  I remember getting home, soaking, my mum asking where I had been and I just gave back a little murmer of "Nowhere. The shop." She wouldn't have understood. To this day, the closest I got to owning that cover lies in my Comic Vine profile, as a neat background and a little reminder. I still don't even know what happen in that third part.  Thus ends my spiel and thus begins my tears.  But what about you? There's bound to be people out there who's experienced this pain, unique to us Viners. What should we call it? Comic Envy? Obsessive Comic Disorder? Cape syndrome? Has somthing similar ever happened to you?  Ever waited in the rain for an issue only to have it leave with someone else? A favourite issue lost / stolen / ruined? When has your comic book fan heart been ripped out? Let it out, let it all out.  Remember, this is a safe place.  Today, the Vine will be your rock. "

OMG. Now I want to read JLA/Avengers. Include X-men with them and awesome but that banner really wants me to reaad it.
Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

When Spider-girl got cancelled and the whole issue of Spider girl the end was just so sad and meaningful. That is when my comic book heart broke into a million pieces. 

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jake Fury: agreed. i blame it part on late shipping, but a larger part on the fact they didnt advertise more that it was the official sequel and conclusion to Marvels.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Superman losing Jonathan Kent and tim Drake losing Jack Drake

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By InnerVenom123
@Baron_Emo said:
" Valerie's letter in V for Vendetta "
God that was so sad :(
.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.
@Son_of_Magnus:
Oooh Jack Drake, that definitley pulled on the heart strings.
Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#42  Edited By Deadcool
@.o0Johnny0o. said:    
When has your comic book fan heart been ripped out?
Well...
Never...
I mean, a lot of times I have been dissapointed about a comic issue, but I dont care that much all that I say is:

Oh well, it could have been a better issue...

Sometimes I espect a lot of things about a storyline, but at the end, it was:
No Caption Provided
But all I have to do is not buy that issue, but I don't feel sad about it...