When Critics Say Fanboys Will Love This Terrible Film But...

scuzz2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By scuzz2.0

Anyone else get bothered when film critics say something like "the fanboys will love this terrible movie but everyone else will hate it"?

In my experience that means I have much higher standards for these films, not lower. In a lot of cases what are probably impossibly high standards. I am a Marvel fanboy and I have only ever been really happy (never completely happy) with 2 Marvel movies. X-men: First Class (only after it followed films I thought were terrible and were barely X-men adaptations at all. I did enjoy X2 but again, only after the original had left me so disappointed) and Captain America: The Winter Soldier which was excellent. Although I do wish they saved Buckys' return until a later film.

I also thought that the Daredevil show was [frick]ing spectacular. (No caveats.)

So this notion that I would somehow be more easily pleased than the average movie goer insults me. It’s not like it's even that seldom a used argument. It pops up in some variation in at least a few of the negative or even average reviews of every cbm or genre sequel that I have ever read. Or any type of adaptation movie review for that matter. How difficult is it to grasp the concept of higher expectations=lower results?

Are a large portion of critics stupid (I don't mean "this person doesn't like a movie I liked" stupid. I mean regular stupid.) Or am I the only one who feels this way?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

"Are a large portion of critics stupid, or am I the only one who feels this way?"

Yes, most critics are stupid, and I couldn't care less what they insinuate about fanboys. There are more pertinent problems going on in the world that deserve my outrage.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

One one had, 'fanboys' tend to refer to rabidly brand loyal followers who will accept anything a certain brand gives to them without critism. Think Star Wars apologists who will defend the prequels to their deaths.

On the other hand, many critics have a inflated sense of superiority against anything popular. Nothing new, really. Comic books have been the target of such people since their inception. Same thing has happened with video games. There's even literary critics that look down on fans of sci-fi and fantasy.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They're critics, being critical is what they do.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

critics have always rated transformers bad despite a bucket full of money the films make

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

there's a difference between a film that entertains you and a true work of art which has something to say, is shot or written exceptionally well or has other unique quality that is not seen most often.

most films are the former and most of the most successful films are the former. the later is what critics are trying to find.

that's not to say one is better than the other, just the way it is. its like the difference between a toyota corolla and a lamborghini sesto elemento. The corolla has been in constant production since 63' and has sold upwards of 50 million units world wide. It has made them money hand over fist and lots of people love it.There are 20 Elemento's in the world and they are pristine works of art. But only a few people will ever appreciate them and understand their beauty.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Critics are haters.

scuzz2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By scuzz2.0

critics have always rated transformers bad despite a bucket full of money the films make

That is ...the exact opposite to the point I was trying to make.

My problem isn't that critics seem to look down on genre films. That is to be expected and although it annoys me, I have gotten used to it.

My problem is that critics think fanboys like awful genre films just because they are fanboys. Take Amazing SM 2 as an example, most will agree that it is a pretty terrible movie but a critic would say "Spider-Man fans will like this but for everyone else, expect to leave the theater disappointed"

Why as a Spider-Man fan would I like a shitty Spider-Man film? I would judge it more harshly and would therefore be far more disappointed than the average movie goer who would expect nothing more than a fun and entertaining film. Like I am some idiot child who should be so grateful that a spider-man film has been made that I will be willing to overlook the fact that it's awful. Like all I look for in a film is bright colours and punchy punchy super-people.

When a critic says this what they are really saying is "The simple wont mind that it's bad but anyone with a brain, look elsewhere". I'm sure in most cases they don't realize and it's just a phrase they use to fill out the word count but nevertheless, it's usage betrays the disdain they feel for us deep down. (not so deep in some cases I'm sure.)

It annoys me.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Money =/= Quality

Do you actually like Transformers...?

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Critics mainly just speak from their point of view, so when they say fans of something will enjoy it, you as fan will have a different opinion on the movie.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

@lamdaddy20: yeah I like transformers

their story may not be the best but the action scenes say otherwise......that's how the majority of the world works

let's face it......avengers attracted massive fans due to their action and it was great

but on a plot perspective I can understand why movies critics or any of my previous english teachers don't like it as much

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers