Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23637 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Whats your opinion on Batman: Earth One

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

After finishing up Batman Earth One Volume 1 and 2 I though it was just ok.

It had some things I didn't like and some things I did.

What do you guys think about it?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Mediocre attempts at realistic stories by a writer who cant write realistic stories to save his life. I guess Johns gets some credit for stepping out of his comfort zone but it's clear that he's not the Rucka,Brubaker,Azzarello type. What makes it worse is that his realism obsession starts and ends with Batman,I'd be far more impressed if he wrote realistic Flash or Green Lantern stories,he'd actually be adding something new to those franchises and the industry as a whole.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk.....hard to make words......give a writer who neither respects or (apparently) likes a character the chance to write a story about them and you get Batman: Earth One.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Batman: Earth One is a failed attempt at a grounded Batman, which is an entirely redundant premise to use considering Nolan already nailed it.

Bruce was characterized poorly, his incompetence made him completely unlikable.

Bullock and Gordon were handled extremely well, though. The book should've starred them in a Gotham Central-esque series.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Anjales_II

Volume 2 is much stronger than Volume 1.

V1 wasn't bad at all, but it characterized Bruce poorly. But other than that, the art was wonderful, the mood and tone are delightfully dark, the characterization of other characters was extremely well done in a way that added new twists to the character while maintaining a certain appeal, namely Alfred, Gordon, Bullock, and Penguin.

V1, Bruce was still learning the ropes but in V2 he progresses so much and is basically on his way to becoming the Batman we know. Batman becomes much more competent on the crime fighting side, though he still needs to learn more stuff on the detective side of things. V2 asks the question, is beating up mooks enough to save Gotham? What happens when you face a villain who doesn't use his fists? In this story, Batman goes up against The Riddler, and this is where he put that brain of his to the test. It also explores Batman's resolve and no killing rule. What I enjoyed about this story is that it shows Bruce is still learning, it shows the Bruce learns from his mistakes to become better. This story also has an interesting take on several characters, including Killer Croc, Riddler, Harvey Dent and his sister, whose also a love interest for Bruce.

It was a truly strong story and I can't wait for V3 where Selina Kyle may appear.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Didn't think they were that bad, the stories were interesting. However, Bruce was pretty unlikable in V1

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, looks like i'm the odd man out who enjoyed it, though i've only read volume 1. I enjoyed the different interpretations of Bruce, Alfred, and Jim respectively.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both brilliant.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Volume I was just awful across the board. A lot of people have already touched upon how much of a moron Batman is in this, and how Geoff Johns seems to love deliberately humiliating him (ha, ha, Batman thinks he's scary, but he's not! Ha, ha, Batman just got a brick to the back of the head!), but what really annoys me is how much of the plot seems like a generic B movie from the 90's. Alfred and Harvey Dent were really the only good parts of it. Also, so many goddamn plot holes.

Volume II is marginally better, but again, Batman comes off as a moron, and Johns seems to love humiliating the guy (ha, ha, Batman's a shitty driver! Also, way to go Bats, just jacking some random dude's car and then crashing it. See what I mean about this being a generic B movie from the 90's?). Again, Alfred is the best part, and I sorta liked the twist on Killer Croc, even if it doesn't make sense how Batman is totally OK with him murdering like, what, six people, even in "self-defense"?

I'd give it about 3 more volumes before Batman gets to Nolan levels of competency, and infinity until we get a good story out of it.

SMGameHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of it, Bruce and Alfred aren't very likely at all. Gordon is cool and that's about it.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@anjales said:

V1 wasn't bad at all, but it characterized Bruce poorly. But other than that, the art was wonderful, the mood and tone are delightfully dark, the characterization of other characters was extremely well done in a way that added new twists to the character while maintaining a certain appeal, namely Alfred, Gordon, Bullock, and Penguin.

V1, Bruce was still learning the ropes but in V2 he progresses so much and is basically on his way to becoming the Batman we know. Batman becomes much more competent on the crime fighting side, though he still needs to learn more stuff on the detective side of things. V2 asks the question, is beating up mooks enough to save Gotham? What happens when you face a villain who doesn't use his fists? In this story, Batman goes up against The Riddler, and this is where he put that brain of his to the test. It also explores Batman's resolve and no killing rule. What I enjoyed about this story is that it shows Bruce is still learning, it shows the Bruce learns from his mistakes to become better. This story also has an interesting take on several characters, including Killer Croc, Riddler, Harvey Dent and his sister, whose also a love interest for Bruce.

It was a truly strong story and I can't wait for V3 where Selina Kyle may appear.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm the only one who liked Vol 1 over Vol 2. I liked that Vol 1 was very different from most Batman stories. Vol 2 was kind of run of the mill Batman story and had apmost the same twist ending as Vol 3 of Superman E1. I think the Superman E1 stories were better, aside from Vol 3.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I liked E1 but I totally agree that they should go for realism with a new character aside from Batman. A grounded Flash E1 would be very cool to see. And with his popularity increasing from the show it could be a success.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I liked them

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Don't care for them

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed them. They had their flaws of course, but I don't think you can fault them for being too realistic cause I think in a sens every story is trying to be a realistic. I kind of enjoyed that we got a Bruce who really was what I think a real life Bruce Wayne was, especially in a take where he doesn't take off and train like he did in Batman Begins or any other Batman origin. He's a punk and rightfully so. The characterization of Alfred and Bullock were great, and I think Gordon was handled well as well if not a little heavy handedly. These books have also been the first time in a long time I've enjoyed seeing Killer Croc or Catwoman as much as I did. There were some legitimately good parts to these books and I hate how people write them off.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he didn't have the skill to pull of some of the stuff he was attempting, both fighting and detective wise. It was to make him more realistic I assume, but he would have died in the first few moments of his career.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales said:

I agree Volume 2 was stronger than 1.

I still find Bruce to be poorly characterized (although I am happy he is growing), and the supporting cast is the best thing in the book.

The thing with Croc was cool, Riddler I found to be kinda lame (he was ok), and I found the Two Face thing as meh.

Overall I am looking forward to reading volume 3, but the first two volumes were ok.

I enjoyed them. They had their flaws of course, but I don't think you can fault them for being too realistic cause I think in a sens every story is trying to be a realistic. I kind of enjoyed that we got a Bruce who really was what I think a real life Bruce Wayne was, especially in a take where he doesn't take off and train like he did in Batman Begins or any other Batman origin. He's a punk and rightfully so. The characterization of Alfred and Bullock were great, and I think Gordon was handled well as well if not a little heavy handedly. These books have also been the first time in a long time I've enjoyed seeing Killer Croc or Catwoman as much as I did. There were some legitimately good parts to these books and I hate how people write them off.

They were ok, I liked them.

I like that they try to be realistic.

I like that we see a Bruce that has to learn how to be a better hero and a better person, but there are times I find him to be mischaracterized.

I dislike this origin of Batman.

Yeah Croc and Catwoman were cool, cant wait to see how they interact with Bruce in Vol. 3.

I think I'm the only one who liked Vol 1 over Vol 2. I liked that Vol 1 was very different from most Batman stories. Vol 2 was kind of run of the mill Batman story and had apmost the same twist ending as Vol 3 of Superman E1. I think the Superman E1 stories were better, aside from Vol 3.

Volume 1 was ok, I didn't like alot of things about it such as Bruce's Origin.

I think Superman Earth One captures Superman better than Earth One Batman captures Batman

I liked them

What did you like about the?

I liked seeing Bruce grow as a character. I liked the twist with the Croc. I also still love the supporting cast.

The things I didn't like were the Origin for Batman, that the supporting cast is somewhat better than Bruce, Riddler (he was meh) and the rip off ending involving Two-Face

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl
    @entropy_aegis said:

Mediocre attempts at realistic stories by a writer who cant write realistic stories to save his life. I guess Johns gets some credit for stepping out of his comfort zone but it's clear that he's not the Rucka,Brubaker,Azzarello type. What makes it worse is that his realism obsession starts and ends with Batman,I'd be far more impressed if he wrote realistic Flash or Green Lantern stories,he'd actually be adding something new to those franchises and the industry as a whole.

I somewhat agree. I did like the idea of a realistic Batman but I didn't really like the execution of this Batman. I enjoy seeing Bruce grow, but man sometimes he is written stupid.

@onemoreposter said:

Idk.....hard to make words......give a writer who neither respects or (apparently) likes a character the chance to write a story about them and you get Batman: Earth One.

Really well I can see where your coming from, there were times in Batman E1 where I thought the Batman as a character was being made fun of or needlessly dumb. I though it was ok though.

@playswithsquirrels said:

Batman: Earth One is a failed attempt at a grounded Batman, which is an entirely redundant premise to use considering Nolan already nailed it.

Bruce was characterized poorly, his incompetence made him completely unlikable.

Bullock and Gordon were handled extremely well, though. The book should've starred them in a Gotham Central-esque series.

I though the realistic Batman in E1 was just ok, nothing to amazing. Yeah realistic wise Noland nailed it

Yeah Bruce was characterized poorly, although I enjoy seeing him improve.

Yeah Gordon and Bullock were. I find the supporting cast of the book to be better written than Bruce.

@lamdaddy20 said:

Didn't think they were that bad, the stories were interesting. However, Bruce was pretty unlikable in V1

I agree, didn't like Bruce in Volume 1.

@nathaniel_christopher said:

Damn, looks like i'm the odd man out who enjoyed it, though i've only read volume 1. I enjoyed the different interpretations of Bruce, Alfred, and Jim respectively.

Nah your not the odd man out If you liked it you liked it.

I though it was just ok, not super revolutionary or the definitive Batman like a few people say it is.

I dislike the interpretation of Bruce alot (in the beginning), I find as Bruce grows as a character I grow to like him a bit more. Everyone else was great.

@orangebat said:

Volume I was just awful across the board. A lot of people have already touched upon how much of a moron Batman is in this, and how Geoff Johns seems to love deliberately humiliating him (ha, ha, Batman thinks he's scary, but he's not! Ha, ha, Batman just got a brick to the back of the head!), but what really annoys me is how much of the plot seems like a generic B movie from the 90's. Alfred and Harvey Dent were really the only good parts of it. Also, so many goddamn plot holes.

Volume II is marginally better, but again, Batman comes off as a moron, and Johns seems to love humiliating the guy (ha, ha, Batman's a shitty driver! Also, way to go Bats, just jacking some random dude's car and then crashing it. See what I mean about this being a generic B movie from the 90's?). Again, Alfred is the best part, and I sorta liked the twist on Killer Croc, even if it doesn't make sense how Batman is totally OK with him murdering like, what, six people, even in "self-defense"?

I'd give it about 3 more volumes before Batman gets to Nolan levels of competency, and infinity until we get a good story out of it.

Yeah Volume one while I though it was just Ok, it had a ton of flaws. And yeah there were a lot of times in volume one where I thought Bats was being made fun of. I though the plot was wrapped up decent

Volume two I agree a heck of a lot better. I still felt Bruce was mischaracterized in it. The supporting cast is somewhat better than Bruce which is a shame in a story about Bruce Wayne.

I do hope Volume 3 makes a lot of improvements.So far Batman Earth One is just ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.