Edited 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Whats your favorite Before Watchmen series? (19 votes)

Rorschach 16%
Comedian 11%
Nite Owl 5%
Silk Spectre 0%
Ozymandias 11%
Moloch 0%
Dollar Bill 0%
Dr. Manhattan 11%
Minutemen 21%
I don't read Watchmen 26%

I've only read the first issues of Rorschach, Nite Owl, Comedian, Silk Spectre, and Ozymandias. I think Ozymandias is my favorites so far, and Rorshach is a close second.

1. So which is your favorite series?
  2. Is the other series worth collecting?
  3. What happens after Before Watchmen, is Vertigo/DC planning a new Watchmen series?

#1 Posted by ccraft (5169 posts) - - Show Bio

Geez this is the second Watchmen thread I created that bombed, does anyone on the vine have anything they would like to say?

You interested in Watchmen? Which is you favorite? Add comic panels as long as it doesn't spoil too much.

#2 Edited by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the Minutemen books. The rest are ok reads. Those and the Dollar Bill one shot I think really add to the lore.

#3 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard Rorschach was the only thing worth reading. But I haven't read any of them.

And any thread that doesn't concern Marvel or DCU superheroes generally dies a horrible death. It's pretty sad.

#4 Edited by ccraft (5169 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard Rorschach was the only thing worth reading. But I haven't read any of them.

And any thread that doesn't concern Marvel or DCU superheroes generally dies a horrible death. It's pretty sad.

Yeah I noticed that... Not too long ago Batman and Superman threads stayed in their own section, now their in Gen Discussion...

Well if you like the Watchmen characters, the solo issues that I tried were really good.

Rorschach, Nite Owl, Comedian, Silk Spectre, Dr. Manhattan, and Ozymandias

#5 Posted by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker said:

I heard Rorschach was the only thing worth reading.

Really? Because I heard that Rorschach was average at best and that the Minutemen and Silk Spectre books were the best ones. Not planning to read any of these.

#6 Posted by dondave (36054 posts) - - Show Bio

Ozymandias was pretty good & Dr Manhattan was alright

#7 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Never actually read but I should sometime.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Not reading Before Watchmen, I feel like the original story pretty much said everything that needed to be said about that world.

#9 Posted by ccraft (5169 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker said:

I heard Rorschach was the only thing worth reading.

Really? Because I heard that Rorschach was average at best and that the Minutemen and Silk Spectre books were the best ones. Not planning to read any of these.

I've read Silk Spectre, I love the art, it shows great emotion in it. I keep hearing minutemen is good so I'll check it out.

Not reading Before Watchmen, I feel like the original story pretty much said everything that needed to be said about that world.

Then you'd be wrong! lol I haven't read the original Watchmen, but this Before Watchmen series is really new reader friendly.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: 9 times out of 10 when something is described as "New Reader Friendly" its pretty much guaranteed to piss off old readers like me, so really all me reading it would do is cause me to feel even more distant with current comics.

#11 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

They were all pretty good with silk spectre, minuteman and manhattan sticking out

#12 Edited by ccraft (5169 posts) - - Show Bio

@binski said:

They were all pretty good with silk spectre, minuteman and manhattan sticking out

Do you know if Watchmen is getting a new series after Before Watchmen?

@ccraft: 9 times out of 10 when something is described as "New Reader Friendly" its pretty much guaranteed to piss off old readers like me, so really all me reading it would do is cause me to feel even more distant with current comics.

I don't get why comic readers look at comics that way. Some things need a fresh start, a reboot or whatever you call it.

#13 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I'm an old reader. Watchmen is one of my favorite novels, of all time. Regardless of the half ass'd "THEY'RE BASED OFF OTHER CHARACTERS."complaint [ when infact the characters tend to be completely different in their actions].

Before Watchmen is great, and gives a great backstory to add more depth into the characters. I think they're all great, but if I had to go off the ones I enjoyed most.

1. The Comedian [I really wanted to know more about this guy.]
2. Minutemen. [Gives a great backstory on all of them.]
3. Silk Spectre [I loved the art, and the fun story it gave.]
4. Rorschach [Another great story. Doesn't go over his early actions, before he went vigilantie at least.]
5. It's a tie between Ozymandis and Dr.Manhattan.

I read them all, and the ones I listed are the characters I wanted to know more about anyway.

#14 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: they talked about it, so it's up in there I personally wouldn't mind one the comic sales were good and if the graphic novels sell well I'd count on a after watchmen series.

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: There's nothing wrong with change its just when they try to fix what isn't broke that turns off old readers

#16 Posted by ccraft (5169 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: There's nothing wrong with change its just when they try to fix what isn't broke that turns off old readers

I read that Before Watchmen is actually a prequel, so it's not necessary a reboot...

@binski said:

@ccraft: they talked about it, so it's up in there I personally wouldn't mind one the comic sales were good and if the graphic novels sell well I'd count on a after watchmen series.

Thanks for the info man! I hope they do an ongoing of some sorts.

@joshmightbe

: I'm an old reader. Watchmen is one of my favorite novels, of all time. Regardless of the half ass'd "THEY'RE BASED OFF OTHER CHARACTERS."complaint [ when infact the characters tend to be completely different in their actions].

Before Watchmen is great, and gives a great backstory to add more depth into the characters. I think they're all great, but if I had to go off the ones I enjoyed most.

1. The Comedian [I really wanted to know more about this guy.]

2. Minutemen. [Gives a great backstory on all of them.]

3. Silk Spectre [I loved the art, and the fun story it gave.]

4. Rorschach [Another great story. Doesn't go over his early actions, before he went vigilantie at least.]

5. It's a tie between Ozymandis and Dr.Manhattan.

I read them all, and the ones I listed are the characters I wanted to know more about anyway.

1-5 are all the reason why I liked their issues, I liked Ozymandias the best, but so far I only have read the 1st issues. I'm a digital reader so I might actually collect this in tpb.

#17 Posted by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by ccraft (5169 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

Then why are you reading this? Why not read the only story that's worth reading?

I'm going to read Watchmen, but I'm going to collect Before Watchmen 1st. By the looks of it, looks like the movie Watchmen was base on the comics