What's the point of having legacy characters anymore?

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

With reboots, retcons, and just bringing a character back to life what is the point to having legacy characters anymore? Tim Drake, Rachel Summers, Wally West, Kate Bishop, Stephen Brown, X-23 (Just to name a few)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

X-23 isn't a legacy character.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

X-23 isn't a legacy character.

She could be if Marvel had the balls to leave Wolverine dead........

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Only problem with Tim Drake is that there are too many former Robins and lack of vision on DC's part to find use for each character. And when they brought back Barry Allen, I found the exile of Wally West to be lost potential for great characterization for both on DC's part. Legacy characters can work, the problem is that the company in charge just lacks any imagination.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon: Yes, she could be, but then again, so could anyone if they ran around calling themselves Wolverine. Which she's never done, to my knowledge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is a legacy character.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JulieDC

@jayc1324: When a hero dies or retires someone else will take up their identity and replace them (example, Dick was the first Robin, then Jason, then Tim etc). Thus turning it into a legacy.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

What is a legacy character.

Derivative heroes. Superman has Superboy and Supergirl. All the secondary Flashes. Stuff like that.

And speaking of Legacy heroes, I've never liked them. It takes the unique factor away from our favorites. How many times has it been shown our favorites are unimportant in the bigger scheme of things? If Superguy dies, Superdude, Swell Boy and Better then Average Lass can draw straws and see who will replace him until he comes back from the dead in a year or so.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@judasnixon: Yes, she could be, but then again, so could anyone if they ran around calling themselves Wolverine. Which she's never done, to my knowledge.

Ok. Maybe I'm being to liberal with my phrasing of "legacy characters", but if you have the same power sets, and base their costume on one's character..... What's in a name? (I'm talking about the brown and tan costume. Not the X-Force one)........

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

Ok. Maybe I'm being to liberal with my phrasing of "legacy characters", but if you have the same power sets, and base their costume on one's character..... What's in a name? (I'm talking about the brown and tan costume. Not the X-Force one)........

What's in a name? Most of the premise behind being a legacy character.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-23 should change her name to Wolverina.

Beata

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By the_tree

With a decent-sized history established, the story made way for more characters to become involved in the central character or mantle's legacy. With a reboot, there isn't necessarily a point to having them around, but they're given a chance to stick around because they've established a fanbase. That fanbase can keep them alive by being composed of people that will not only buy books with them in it, but by also being composed of creators that want to work with them.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Blah..... You win. X-23 being a legacy character wasn't even my point. I'm just going to get drunk and watch portlandia. You can even spray paint "Suck it Nixon" on top of my grave........ Just bring a step ladder.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sigh* Wally is the Flash for 25 years and he's just considered a legacy character.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

With reboots, retcons, and just bringing a character back to life what is the point to having legacy characters anymore? Tim Drake, Rachel Summers, Wally West, Kate Bishop, Stephen Brown, X-23 (Just to name a few)

They sometimes add a superhero "family" thing, which I usually love.

Avatar image for giantmonstersrule30
GiantMonstersRule30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greatcaesarsghost: technically speaking Barry is a legacy character and so is Hal.

Yes, technically. Barry and Hal were both originally from separate universes from their predecessors though, and in Hal's case his powers came from a completely different source.

Avatar image for giantmonstersrule30
GiantMonstersRule30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greatcaesarsghost: but Barry was inspired by the Golden Age Flash comics

Yeah, but Barry is the Flash they pushed, unlike some characters this is a real reverse where Jay Garrick is only only around for the most part because of legacy.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no need for most of them but some could work and if they are rebooted then they can be given another secret identity, at least that's what I wanted for Wally.