#1 Posted by conorbas440044 (23 posts) - - Show Bio

any information on sigils would appreciated

#2 Posted by darquehex (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@conorbas440044 said:

any information on sigils would appreciated

Hey. I don't remember where exactly I read this but I do remember Grant Morrison saying that to create a sigil you can: Write down exactly what you want to happen using the most succinct phrasing you can. Remove any vowels and repeated consonants from each word. Take the letters that are left and rearrange them into a symbol, an image that you can keep in your mind and really focus on. Once you have that you need to charge it by performing some type of emotionally stirring event. I think Morrison said he went bungee-jumping to charge one of his. Glad to see someone interested in his pop-magic!

#3 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

Forging a sigil is actually more complicated than it might appear, at least if you want it to work and stay powerful for any length of time. Like any magick working, be specific and be careful what you wish for.

#4 Posted by JediXMan (30608 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod:

This is usually true. Though for the Endless, they treat their sigils as mere symbols of power. Death replaced her silver ankh with a common metal one she bought off a vendor. The person who stole her original one assumed it held her power, which it did not.

Though Dream's sigils actually held power. So it's likely a personal thing

#5 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: And the Endless are..?

#6 Posted by JediXMan (30608 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod said:

@JediXMan: And the Endless are..?

Death, Destiny, Dream, Desire, Despair, and Delirium of the Endless - powerful mystic entities.

#7 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: Entities in which mythos?

#8 Posted by JediXMan (30608 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod said:

DC. Specifically, Vertigo, but they have appeared in the main universe. It's just implied that they sit in the shadows without ever interacting with the main universe - except for Morpheus (Dream), who occasionally hooked up with some mortal girl, or Desire who did things to screw with Morpheus.

#9 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@satyrgod said:

DC. Specifically, Vertigo, but they have appeared in the main universe. It's just implied that they sit in the shadows without ever interacting with the main universe - except for Morpheus (Dream), who occasionally hooked up with some mortal girl, or Desire who did things to screw with Morpheus.

The excellent Sandman series...one of my favourites.

@darquehex said:

@conorbas440044 said:

any information on sigils would appreciated

Hey. I don't remember where exactly I read this but I do remember Grant Morrison saying that to create a sigil you can: Write down exactly what you want to happen using the most succinct phrasing you can. Remove any vowels and repeated consonants from each word. Take the letters that are left and rearrange them into a symbol, an image that you can keep in your mind and really focus on. Once you have that you need to charge it by performing some type of emotionally stirring event. I think Morrison said he went bungee-jumping to charge one of his. Glad to see someone interested in his pop-magic!

From what I remember GM said, this is indeed true ^^

Though I can't give you the issue number without some serious rifling around in my long-boxes....but, I'll try and find it.

#10 Posted by darquehex (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod said:

Forging a sigil is actually more complicated than it might appear, at least if you want it to work and stay powerful for any length of time. Like any magick working, be specific and be careful what you wish for.

I echo those sentiments. So much of the pop-magic, as Morrison explained it, is dependent on intent. You need to understand what you want and what it is, conceptually.

I've never tried any of this myself but thinking about helps me think about other aspects of my life more clearly, and more fully. Reading the Invisibles was a real eye opener. Anyone else a fan of Moz?