Whats so great about The Dark Knight Returns?

flashrobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why exactly is it considered one of the greatest Batman comics of all time? I don't understand it all...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's more because of how influential and game-changing it was than anything.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Superguy1591

They get worst as the books go on.

Book 1 was great. The idea that both Two-Face and Batman are monsters that neither Bruce and Harvey can shake or be cured of is great. Both will continue to be consumed until nothing is left of their other personality.

Book 2 is good because it showcases that Batman is willing to do anything in the name of justice. Showcasing his will, determination, willingness to pull back and find another gear and, quite literally, fight dirty.

Book 3 and book 4 are where it stops being about Batman and all about Frank Miller's sh!t opinions that no one asked for.

Book 3 is Miller's critic on the American Justice system HIS opinions on parole. Book 4 is just God awful, it's Miller's dumb idea on "what's wrong with Superman," but it only helped create the image that people associate with Superman now.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@marvelicious: I think that it marks the beginning of darker more mature Batman as opposed to the campy 60s Batman.

No, it doesn't. Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams started that more than a decade before Dark Knight Returns.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Good storytelling.

BB

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By I_Am_Lightning

Good storyline :)

Also, Superman taking a beating was priceless.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It was a breathe of fresh air at the time, and it still holds up as one of the best Batman storyline EVER. It brought sense of realness to the Batman persona, he was no longer 2 dimension goody two shoes but rather layered and complicated individual whose story and character development was enchanting to read, it made you want to read more about him.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally just love how ruthless Batman is in it. He was just epic in it.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

@flashrobin: I watched the films instead of the comics but it was very enjoyable. Not really sure why its still talked about if i'm honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

Book 1 was great. The idea that both Two-Face and Batman are monsters that neither Bruce and Harvey can shake or be cured of is great. Both will continue to be consumed until nothing is left of their other personality.

Book 2 is good because it showcases that Batman is willing to do anything in the name of justice. Showcasing his will, determination, willingness to pull back and find another gear and, quite literally, fight dirty.

Book 3 and book 4 are where it stops being about Batman and all about Frank Miller's sh!t opinions that no one asked for.

Book 3 is Miller's critic on the American Justice system HIS opinions on parole. Book 4 is just God awful, it's Miller's dumb idea on "what's wrong with Superman," but it only helped create the image that people associate with Superman now.

This

DKR should have just been books 1 and 2, but that is just my opinion.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Leatherface003

Because it's one of the greatest story ever told in history of comics...Plus it's a totally different Batman we see..

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why exactly is it considered one of the greatest Batman comics of all time? I don't understand it all...

Because it was an amazing story? I don't have an answer really, could be all the Frank Miller fan boys too. (Me being one of them.)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

It gave Batman his balls back. Since the comics code came along, Batman had been nothing more than a joke and a "role model" for the entire Silver Age. This showed Batman as a dark, brooding creature of the night again.

So, it's more to do with a shift in tone and attitude than anything else.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Nothing imo. I prefer O'Neal's run to anything Miller did.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It gave Batman his balls back. Since the comics code came along, Batman had been nothing more than a joke and a "role model" for the entire Silver Age. This showed Batman as a dark, brooding creature of the night again.

So, it's more to do with a shift in tone and attitude than anything else.

Didn't O'Neil do that before DKR?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause Nazi tits

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

@joeagentofhand1: I think O'Neil did a brilliant job with it, but TDKR was the one that caught the public's eye. It made the biggest splash.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 1 and 2 are REALLY good, specially 2, the Mutant Leader arc is one of the best arc's I've read from Batman.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good story, original idea for the time.

But the second part is horrible.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wbr17 said:

It's a good story, original idea for the time.

But the second part is horrible.

what happened in the second part?

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

his return to being batman

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes: I mean The Dark Knight Returns 2

It's version of Cap. Marvel, J'onn and Dick is pretty bad. And the way it's end... If you didn't read it, don't bother to do it. It ruined everything.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

TDKR has been adapted in to 2 animated movies,an episode of BTAS,a loose adaptation in the "Batman" cartoon, it had considerable influence on The Dark Knight Rises and obviously on the upcoming Batman v Superman movie. There MUST BE SOMETHING great about it.

Hipsters just refuse to see it.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does everyone hate Frank Miller?

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has it's moments, it's overrated though. It was much more shocking when it came out.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a great story, one of the best comic books ever written.

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its one of the best Batman storues i ever seen. Batman is ruthless and is old so has to use brutal methods. His confrontation with Joker was awesome as it showed he blame himself for all the deaths Joker did becuz of his rule. REAlly a very well written and executed movie.

His fight with Superman was amazing. Superman fanboys are just jealous cuz their fav. hERO got his ass kicked by an old man.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been a huge fan of it. Like others have said here, I enjoyed books 1 and 2 but the rest sort of lost me.

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinntek1 said:
@flashrobin said:

Because it was an amazing story? I don't have an answer really, could be all the Frank Miller fan boys too. (Me being one of them.)

I agree but i am no frank miller fan boy.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Kairan1979

@superguy1591 said:

This

DKR should have just been books 1 and 2, but that is just my opinion.

Seconded.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing storytelling and Amazing story.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Spambot

I'll just say anything that's considered ground breaking and influential at the time it was done always seems far less so when you start with everything that came after it and then go back to the thing that was considered seminal to what came after because it won't seem nearly as new to you as it would have at the time. Same holds true in film, music and other areas.

ThePieter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beats me. I wasn't impressed with it.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

I like the movies...

I think the fact that they're some of the best animated CBM's of all time has a lot to do with it.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem a lot of people have with not being impressed with it now is that all the themes, techniques, and attitudes from Batman that were so fresh, new, and in your face when it came out have been done to DEATH now.

It IS a great story with lots of dynamic, and moody art, well crafted dialogue, and pacing. I agree 3 and 4 weren't the best. But the first book, where Batman comes back..you don't see him at first, just his aftermath and the affect he has. And book two with the whole Mutant Leader arc, just nuts.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDKR is credited with changing Batman from homo-erotic camp to a goddamn legend of badassery.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

Beats me. I wasn't impressed with it.

Avatar image for supremeintelligence
supremeintelligence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nothing

Steelflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Steelflame

It was influential. Like many influential works it doesn't necessarily seem that special, when looking back on it, because the formerly revolutionary ideas a from todays perspective not that special anymore.

@venomoustaco said:

Why does everyone hate Frank Miller?

He is mysoginistic, homphobic, racistic hack, who can't write worth shit anymore, but continues to get work simply because he wrote a couple of influential stories many years ago and his name for some reason still isn't associated with the complete garbage he is pressing out of his asshole by now.