gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

You've heard the news. Comic Vine and Giant Bomb have become part of CBS Interactive. This is great news for us. This is going to make this great site even greater. When we first started out, it was me, Dave and Ethan. Just three dudes running the site. Then Whiskey Media formed and we became part of that family. This is just another step up.

I am still the Editor-in-Chief. Sara and I have already been talking and we're making plans to give you guys even more of what you love. We will now have more resources to do what we love doing.

I saw a few of the comments in the thread on the forums. Let me just reassure you guys this is going to be a great new chapter for us.

If you missed the original announcement when we livestreamed from Dave's house, you can check out out here. While most of the talk dealt with Giant Bomb, the message is the same. We're not changing. No one is coming in and telling us what we need to do or change. We will just have a new space to work in. And again, this isn't the first time Comic Vine has moved.

== TEASER ==

For subscribers, you aren't losing anything. Sara and I have already started talking about new ideas so stay tuned as we get settled in here. Dave also posted a message that I will copy and paste below. Pretty much all your questions should be answered. He will update over there if anything new comes up.

Psst... Big changes happening at Whiskey Media. Don't panic. The answer to most of your questions are likely below. This isn't a goodbye post or a hey, thanks for joining us on this awesome journey, but we're outta here fabrication. It's a general trumpet call to let you know that we're working with two separate companies to build even bigger sites. For those of us at Whiskey, that means we'll spend all of about a weekend celebrating before we jump back to our jobs of building, creating and making you laugh. We'll make sure to keep you in the loop along the way.
Two companies?
Yes. We wanted to make sure our separate brands and employees ended up with companies that best fit their strengths. Here's the scoop...
Giant Bomb and Comic Vine are now in the same family as GameSpot and GameFAQs. The entire editorial teams from those sites are coming over, as is Dave. This marks a reunion of sorts as we’ll get to work with our friends over at GameSpot again. Giant Bomb will continue to operate as its own unique site.
Tested and Screened, along with all other things Whiskey Media are being acquired by BermanBraun. They've got big plans too, as you've likely seen on Tested already. Andy and his TOP MEN (our engineering team) are going to be busy building a whole slew of new sites that carry our mark of community first philosophies.
I'm a premium member, what does this mean for me?
Nothing for the moment. Your services continue as normal across all of the Whiskey sites as well as on Roku, Boxee, iTunes... etc. On April 15th we will migrate the billing for premium memberships to Giant Bomb and Comic Vine so that we can separate them from Whiskey Media proper. Don't worry, features on the other sites will continue to work, as will your username as passwords, but you will only billed by Giant Bomb. No split billing will occur.
We made this decision based on the fact that 98 percent of our subscriptions originated with Giant Bomb and the vast majority of our premium content has focused on that site. However, we also recognize our users have their own ideas about the value of their premium plan so we wanted to make sure you had a full month to sit with these details and use the same billing tools you're used to using. It is very important to us that we don't sucker punch anyone and that you can cancel your plans easily at any time.
Got all that? OK, well there’s more. Those members that do stick around past April 15th will immediately receive GameSpot Total Access memberships for free as a thank you for continuing to support Giant Bomb and Comic Vine. These will be distributed through email as a gift code, so their redemption is optional.
We'll also send out a general email as well as other announcements before April 15th so you're not left with any surprises.
What about the Whiskey Media store and my coupons?
They will continue to be valid. You can use them now, or at anytime. The store isn't going anywhere.
What about my wiki points?
Your points will continue as normal. Past April 15th your combined Whiskey points will be used for your submissions across all our sites. But any points earned after that date will only increase your total on the specific site you earn them on.
Hey, this has me worried. I've seen others sites get purchased and become
pretty crappy. What makes this different?
It's a valid concern. But if you've made it this far (let's be honest, some of you have been supportive of us for years) you know that beyond the logos on our sites are a group of people who have committed their lives to building a better Internet. Our sites will continue to thrive because quite honestly, it's what keeps a lot of us going every day. And as hokey as it may sound, we want to continue having an audience that trusts us as stewards of our respective expertise.
Continue to keep us on our toes. Now let's start building.
I have more questions!
I (Dave) will be around personally to answer all questions late tonight and throughout the weekend either on this thread or through twitter (@enemykite). As you'd imagine it's a busy day and I've still got to run to the city this afternoon to meet some peeps so thanks ahead of time for being patient as I go through your questions later today.

And just a note, we will not have a podcast this week. Sara and I will be down in Anaheim at WonderCon. If you're there, keep an eye out for us!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlKusanagi

The only thing that saddens me is the Whiskey Media split. I hope you guys can still have a chance to do things together.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By papad1992

Cool... can anyone say upgrades? I hope that "Quests" will be back in action because I miss those!!

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chris2KLee

Yeah, sad to see the WM crew being split, but everyone seems to be moving onto some very greener pastures (the Tested team probably had the biggest news). Looking forward to what this all means in the future, it's gonna be a crazy ride for sure!

sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sinful

Take Care and good luck.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

It's kinda sad to see the Whiskey Media family split...Giant Bomb and Comic Vine in one direction. Tested and Screened head off in another. But, I wish everyone the best and will continue to follow all of these sites as I always have.

It's like that sad final episode where all the characters start going their separate ways...except sadder. XD

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

"once more into the breach dear friends, once more"

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

@papad1992 said:

Cool... can anyone say upgrades? I hope that "Quests" will be back in action because I miss those!!

I am totally with you on that one. I hope they return.

Hoping we do indeed benefit from this new move, and that may seem "selfish" to a degree, yet a lot of us have helped contribute to this site and others, so anything provided will be welcome indeed.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#8  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

I got some questions:

1. Is Ethan leaving?
  2. Is gpbmike leaving?
  3. Is the wiki safe? and will it continue to be free to edit or a new paid feature?
  4. Will the engineering staff that is staying be rebuilding the site or will it be a new inexperienced team?
  5. Since this has been known for a while has work on the new site already started? if not what is the ETA for the platform changeover?
  6. Are there any user generated content areas on this site that we should be backing up in preparation like blogs, lists, posts, rpg's, pm's, etc.?
  7. Will CV and GB stay separate sites? No chance of them merging right? cause that would make one crazy wiki.
  8. Will the multi-pass be removed or would it still be interchangeable between CV and GB?
  9. Will we have to create new accounts on the other three sites or will it have its own independent multi-pass?
  10. Is there any particular reason why AnimeVice went with the other sites? There has been zero mention of it anywhere really other then it is going.
Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mokey

I really do not like Giant Bomb and Gamespot being in the same family.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Can't wait to see what this leads to, maybe this could become like an online comic book tv show. Like G4 for comics. Can't wait. See you at the Wonder Con.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I really wish Anime Vice had joined on to Comic Vine, they are like two peas in a pod :(

Avatar image for virginiaforniquer
virginiaforniquer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there going to be better coding on the webpages? No offense, love the site but being continually told my browser does not support our text editor just sucks

HeroMuseum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HeroMuseum

So many questions.... Just have to see how it plays out I guess.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Firstly, I want to say how really happy I am for the Comic Vine Staff. It's always great to hear that things are gong well for them.

I'm also still confused about what this means for Anime Vice (as well as the other sites being split). I've been writing news, editorials, and reviews for Anime Vice for a while now. The community there is very involved in the site. I've been writing the Community Spotlight for AV exclusively for a while now, but I'm not sure who I should be submitting it to now.

This sadly seems like the splitting of what was the greater Whiskey Media Family.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@FoxxFireArt: Hopefully you'll get upgraded to official editorial staff :D

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This can mean only one thing: Becker threads.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

How comes it say's GB will remain independent but not Comic Vine?

thanosrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#18  Edited By thanosrules

Congrats! :)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@spiderbat87 said:

How comes it say's GB will remain independent but not Comic Vine?

It's been speculated that that was only worded that way because it was posted on the GB site and they were re-assuring their own users with that statement, it was mentioned in the livecast that both sites would be independent.

boopie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By boopie

I thought I had something to say but I don't.

dcfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dcfox

I guess this probably means Norm will never be on the podcast again.

All joking aside I do hope everything works out well for you guys. I'm just worried that comicvine is sort of an odd duck in this new Giantbomb, Gamespot, Gamefaq family.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Bestostero

congratulations! i hope things only change for the better!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By sora_thekey

I am very happy for both Comic Vine and Giant Bomb! Like everybody else I am also sad to see the Whiskey Media sites split.

Weary of where the future will take all of my favorite websites but optimistic as well.

HashbrownsCV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HashbrownsCV

If this means more video content for Comic Vine, I could not be happier. Let's have 3-Minute-Expert and Garage Reviews videos out the wazoo!

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Adnan

Giant Bomb and Comic Vine are now in the same family as GameSpot and GameFAQs

Comic Vine in the same family as GameFAQs

I know I probably have nothing to worry about,  but for some reason I don't like the sound of that...
LordTaronji101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LordTaronji101

wow thats wonderful...congrats, comicvine...once again you have outdone yourself.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

I was pretty bummed when I first heard about this I was bummed, but I'm optimistic now. I hope this site sticks around for a long while and hopefully this is able to provide that. Goodluck guys.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#28  Edited By gmanfromheck
@dcfox Norm is actually meeting us at WonderCon this weekend. He's not allowed to escape.
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
No Caption Provided
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@G-Man said:

@dcfox Norm is actually meeting us at WonderCon this weekend. He's not allowed to escape.

"You'll never see Norm again."

rts375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rts375

I hope this means more videos.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32  Edited By jakob187

@FoxxFireArt said:

Firstly, I want to say how really happy I am for the Comic Vine Staff. It's always great to hear that things are gong well for them.

I'm also still confused about what this means for Anime Vice (as well as the other sites being split). I've been writing news, editorials, and reviews for Anime Vice for a while now. The community there is very involved in the site. I've been writing the Community Spotlight for AV exclusively for a while now, but I'm not sure who I should be submitting it to now.

This sadly seems like the splitting of what was the greater Whiskey Media Family.

Tested, Screened, and Anime Vice were all picked up by BermanBraun, and they are continuing to work closely with Shelby to extend those brands and make them noteworthy. Tested has already announced their partnership with the Mythbusters. I don't really know what Screened is going to be doing, especially since I don't think Rorie has said much at all since the announcement. As for Anime Vice, I'm curious what Tom is going to do, whether he's going over to the site or if they are absolving it into a different property or whatever.

colinjw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By colinjw

I hope this is a great move.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It's the end of an era

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@pikahyper said:

@spiderbat87 said:

How comes it say's GB will remain independent but not Comic Vine?

It's been speculated that that was only worded that way because it was posted on the GB site and they were re-assuring their own users with that statement, it was mentioned in the livecast that both sites would be independent.

I see, I wish we would have a list of what WILL change 
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By csl316

If all goes well, this'll be like an underground band getting major label backing with full creative control.

Or it could crash and burn all the sites.

Hopefully the first one!

ollie_arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ollie_arrow

Comic Vine finally sold out to the man, man.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Fantasgasmic

So is Whiskey Media no more? If Comic Vine and Tested aren't owned by the same company does that mean no more Norm?

I'm excited and scared at the same time.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FoxxFireArt
@pikahyper
That would be really cool to get added as official editorial staff for AV. It would be nice to work as a community liaison to post community articles. Though, even if that was possible. It would still be sad I wouldn't be a part of the Whiskey Family with Tony, Sara, and the rest.
Avatar image for gentleman_of_the_bedchamber
Gentleman_of_the_Bedchamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@FoxxFireArt: You'd still be part of the Whiskey family, Whiskey is on your side of the break up :P

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

So, when will we start seeing ads for Ashton Kutcher's latest venture into the awful side of television?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Illuminatus said:

So, when will we start seeing ads for Ashton Kutcher's latest venture into the awful side of television?

Did you watch the interview over at Gamespot an hour ago? GB/CV are wrapped into the Gamespot fold so CBS won't have anything to do with the ad's here most likely, it was said that the ad team/marketing department at Gamespot would be handling that to better target the ad's at the specific communities.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@pikahyper said:

@Illuminatus said:

Did you watch the interview over at Gamespot an hour ago? GB/CV are wrapped into the Gamespot fold so CBS won't have anything to do with the ad's here most likely, it was said that the ad team/marketing department at Gamespot would be handling that to better target the ad's at the specific communities.

Wasn't even aware of that video.  But still, the possibility is still there.  

I would be interested to see Image put up some marketing though. 
Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

YAY Guys can't wait to see improvements to the site. Will this mean we will see video reviews again? That would be cool.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#46  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

I'm curious about Ethan...What about Red LAMP??!!

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Congrats, but you better not change too much. I left Neopets pretty much because they got bought by a big company.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@The Poet said:

I'm curious about Ethan...What about Red LAMP??!!

I think he is gone along with gpbmike :( Their names were not mentioned anywhere in the various streaming shows and posts so I'm guessing they are staying with the publishing platform (which was bought) since it is their baby and all. So far the only engineers I know are coming with CV/GB are Crusader and alixsg.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CATPANEXE

Congratulations. I hope this opens up many new opportunities and resources to you people. You worked years on your craft and deserve to move upward and upward.

I would cheer you proper, but all I have is this cup of soy milk. Well, I'll pretend it's Cristal. Cheers!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@CATPANEXE: how in the world do you drink that stuff? just the smell of it makes me want to vom x.x