#1 Edited by Dayvid3 (815 posts) - - Show Bio

Now we have the planet x notion, beautiful, whole planet of mutants who don't fear sentinels and can use their powers in the open, not be ashamed, yada yada yada. I wonder though what would a society of all mutants really be like? Will the stronger just take over? They say their powers are gifts not curses, fine, but just how are a lot of them gifts to society? Will people be expected to use their 'gifts' for the common good? Colossus would be handy on a construction site, Sunfire forced to be a spot welder? Maybe instead they have Roman Colosseum type games. Perhaps the world devolves into roaming gangs.

I'm curious how they would set up society, while packing some rather dangerous powers, and keep the system running. Will they suddenly start regulating powers? Who wants psychics mucking around in their heads? I didn't read anything of the Genosha stories, but the wiki makes it sound riddled with problems from humankind. On this world there are no normal humans to fight, and blame for their problems. Just superpowered beings letting it all hang out. What kind of scenarios can you imagine?

#2 Posted by LP (675 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be more or less the same. Except now, there would be descrimination between betas and alphas, mutants that alter reality and others that just shed their skin. Do you see what I mean? We'd still have to deal with racist mutants, homophobic mutants, megalomaniacs (which there seems to be a lot of in the mutant community), and troublemakers in general.

In addition, mutants would be assigned rather than hired for jobs based on their superpower which could cause a whole new type of class warfare as certain mutations will now be more valuable than others. You mentioned this.

#3 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@lp said:

It would be more or less the same. Except now, there would be descrimination between betas and alphas, mutants that alter reality and others that just shed their skin. Do you see what I mean? We'd still have to deal with racist mutants, homophobic mutants, megalomaniacs (which there seems to be a lot of in the mutant community), and troublemakers in general.

In addition, mutants would be assigned rather than hired for jobs based on their superpower which could cause a whole new type of class warfare as certain mutations will now be more valuable than others. You mentioned this.

Yuppers

#4 Posted by Wolverine08 (43808 posts) - - Show Bio

@lp said:

Quoted for the truth.

#5 Posted by Dayvid3 (815 posts) - - Show Bio

@lp said:

Kind of figured the hate part. They make it seem like without normal humans life will be all puffy clouds and jolly ranchers, but they'll be just as bad to each other. But really, everyone thinks they'll just settle into a moderately stable society? Everyone with powers, all different types, seems like a huge new dynamic to toss into the mix of everyday life. Thought there'd be more theories

#6 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6111 posts) - - Show Bio

@lp said:

#7 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

We already live in one. Technically, or rather biologically, all humans are mutants in at least some way or another. I know what you mean, though. Probably not too much different, as people are definitely getting more tolerant and progressive. We'd still have the bigoted backwards countries, though.

#8 Posted by XImpossibruX (5180 posts) - - Show Bio

@lp said:

Well said.

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (85105 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be like Attilan (the city of the Inhumans) only on a larger scale.

#10 Posted by Dayvid3 (815 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a surprised everyone thinks people will just keep their powers in their pants and live normally, but maybe. Certainly boring and not the utopia they envision. I still can't help but think they'd need some regulation on psychic and chronal mutants at the very least, which would take them down a nasty road, but ok meh.

#11 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

There would still be mutant police and things of that nature ...... but in all seriousness Apocalypse would gather his mutants and wage war against the rest and Namor would hate everyone