#1 Posted by TheGeekCritique (26 posts) - - Show Bio

This question has been asked over at our blog but we thought we'd post it here. Now that Wonder Woman has been run through the ringer over the past several decades thanks to sexism in the 1950's, a 1970's television show that can't meet the expectations of today's moviegoers and Hannah Barbara's interpretation of the Amazon as depicted in the animated Super Friends cartoons, what will it take to make Wonder Woman a successful Hollywood contender like Batman and Superman?

If we had won the Mega Million lottery like we'd intended we would have made a Wonder Woman movie with the following points:

1) Play the Amazon thing to the hilt! For Wonder Woman to make the transition from comic page to the big screen she needs to be placed in an environment similar to the films 300 and Clash of the Titans.

2) Give the woman some battle gear! More leather and metal like a warrior would wear to battle, not stars and striped boots.

3) Give her empathy! The reason audiences like Wonder Woman is because she's a strong woman with a strong belief in justice, but she also empathizes to the plight of the needy.

4) Give her bracers not bracelets! Show her using her wrists to stop swords and axes instead of bullets.

Anyway, that's our two cents. Your thoughts?

#2 Posted by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

Give her flight(no invisible jet) and big flying and land monsters to fight.

#3 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Get Lucy Lawless into a regeneration chamber and turn back the clock about 20 years. That's what it will take to make a great WW flick.

#4 Edited by LaserLambert (635 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGeekCritique: Brilliant ideas! also super powers? ridiculous! just grit and determination! and that title "Wonder Woman"? pssh just completely unrelatable!

#5 Posted by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

@LaserLambert said:

@TheGeekCritique: Brilliant ideas! also super powers? ridiculous! just grit and determination! and that title "Wonder Woman"? pssh just completely unrelatable!

Then its not Wonder Woman

#6 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Takes place mainly on Themyscira (also some scenes on Earth)

Cheetah and Ares as the main villains

Beautiful female lead who can ALSO ACT

NO INVISIBLE JET

#7 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Kickass actress
kickass villain
kickass plot.

#8 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Nolan

#9 Posted by The Stegman (22710 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, I'm going to keep it simple, a few years ago they made an animated Wonder Woman movie. It basically served as an origins story as well as her developing into a great hero, it starred a recently imprisoned Ares trying to envelop the world into war to spread his power. It had great action, great funny moments between Steve Trevor and Diana, and a great telling of her mythos. I propose the LITERALLY take that script, and make it into a live action film, starring Tanit Phoenix. It would be amazing, after all if Thor could be made into a film, Wonder Woman can. 

The animated Trailer 

Tanit Phoenix as Diana
#10 Edited by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd focus on her mythic status. She's a demi-goddess with a massive magical arsenal and she's best off fighting hydras and modern-day equivalents. She should bethe eye of reason and compassion in the storm of fickle gods and goddesses tormenting humanity. Feminism and personal liberty should be huge themes, but the core should be bringing a sense of justice to a ruthless and barbaric world. Every cackling villain and salivating monster she defeats should be a metaphor for the ills of modern society.

#11 Posted by Malonius (883 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if it's possible. Her costume would look ridiculous in real life. She's incredibly dull and lacks any personality. "Wonder Woman" is an idiotic name. She wasn't particularly inspired when she was created and all the reboots over the last 70 years haven't managed to deepen that. She's a female Superman who stands up for justice and goes on adventures.The only way this would be a good movie is if they made it for little kids.

#12 Posted by JediXMan (29245 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius said:

"Wonder Woman" is an idiotic name.

Because Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man are just brilliant...

#13 Posted by TheGeekCritique (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, Batman and Spider-Man are brilliant because their movies are less about the special effects and more about the humanity of the characters. For instance, consider how many times Spider-Man's identity is revealed in the movies. He can't keep a mask from being ripped to shreds to save his life! And in the Iron Man movies, did you ever notice how the camera is STILL able to get a shot of Tony Stark's face while he wears the Iron Man armor? It's because people want to look into the eyes of their heroes, they want that human connection.

Sadly, that's why Michael Bay gave his version of the Transformers eyes. Bumblee and Optimus Prime's faces rarely look like they did in the cartoons.

Wonder Woman can be brilliant, too, if developers give her a chance to be human. It's not difficult. Have her start the movie by being this merciless warrior who's lost her humanity long ago when she lost her crown defending Themyscira from an opposing tyrant's army. Then let her become the guardian for the opposing tyrant's daughter who was going to have her sacrificed as a pawn for some political purpose that would destroy the Amazons. BOOM! Done. The rest of the movie is character development, plot twists, giant creatures, epic battles and some resolution where Wonder Woman/Diana is the fallen hero who is banished from Themyscira and sent to Earth (setup for a sequel).

#14 Posted by LaserLambert (635 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGeekCritique: I was being sarcastic, saying that the character you describe is not Wonder Woman, and my suggestions going that extra-mile.

#15 Posted by BurningDoom1 (187 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't pay to see a Wonder Woman movie (at least not in the theater, I'll RedBox it when it comes out), and I'm a huge comic geek. If I won't, how many casual people do you think would? And therein lies your problem. The character of Wonder Woman just isn't that appealing to a lot people. There's not anything you can do to it really if no one cares about the main character.

#16 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan:

LOL

#17 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

the flim should probably be like xena or 300, it would have wonder woman fighting armies and magical monsters.

#18 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

actually, i don't know if the film should be be a horror movie like wonder woman's current story or a superhero movie.

#19 Posted by JediXMan (29245 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

the flim should probably be like xena or 300, it would have wonder woman fighting armies and magical monsters.

This would work best for an origin movie.

#20 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@moywar700 said:

do you think a wonder woman movie would work best as an origin movie?

#21 Posted by CATPANEXE (9367 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with fodigg and mywar700 more or less. Keep her away from society at least for the first film, and keep it in a more mythical atmosphere. I think that's a much more attractive concept than running around a city or related, and clearly her roots need to be seen before moving her character into other playgrounds. The audience needs to know who she is first, then they care, and then she can featured in later films. Not unlike how Captain America was worked, but of course in a different season all together. Past that an enormous budget, a team of people that takes it seriously and wants to do the project in the hearts (the only one I've seen display fanatical interest off the top of my head is Robert Rodriguez, but would this be in his element? He could draw a lot of resources and that budget, that much I'm certain of). The main thing is, and noting a comment or two, get people to know and care about Wonder Woman. She can't just be tossed into the middle of somewhere based on the fact that comic fans know her story while millions of movie goers only know she has a lasso. Once a solid foundation is established much of anything can be done from there. Likewise mythical stories in large scale sets are very lucrative currently.

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24434 posts) - - Show Bio

Step one convince the Fanboys who are terrified of any woman who isn't a cheesy bad girl cliche or a damsel in distress, that Wonder Woman isn't a threat to their manhood

step 2 great writer

step 3 great director

step 3 great cast

everything else will fall into place from there

#23 Posted by JediXMan (29245 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

@JediXMan said:

@moywar700 said:

do you think a wonder woman movie would work best as an origin movie?

I think so, if done right. I just don't want it set in the US. It should be restricted to Themyscira or other similar areas. Also, I really don't want a forced romance with Steve Trevor. I guess it can work, but it always seems to come across as corny to me.

#24 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

Kickass actress kickass villain kickass plot.

this

#25 Posted by The_Tree (7044 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Ok, I'm going to keep it simple, a few years ago they made an animated Wonder Woman movie. It basically served as an origins story as well as her developing into a great hero, it starred a recently imprisoned Ares trying to envelop the world into war to spread his power. It had great action, great funny moments between Steve Trevor and Diana, and a great telling of her mythos. I propose the LITERALLY take that script, and make it into a live action film, starring Tanit Phoenix. It would be amazing, after all if Thor could be made into a film, Wonder Woman can.

Agreed on making the DVD live action. Wonder Woman is hard enough to make for a movie, and this animated DVD was done excellently. And that's coming from a guy who's not even really into WW.

#26 Posted by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

Give her an interesting villain. That's always been the one of the character's major flaws: lack of truly interesting villains.

#27 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

i will never forgive hollywood if they make wonder woman into a comedy movie.They would parody her invisible airplane and her lasso of truth and her coming into the man's world. sweet jesusugh

#28 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

What would it take to make a really great Wonder Woman movie? People can't even figure out how to make a really great Wonder Woman COMIC.

#29 Posted by Th3DarkKn1ght24 (88 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers said:

Christopher Nolan

agreed!

#30 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery said:

What would it take to make a really great Wonder Woman movie? People can't even figure out how to make a really great Wonder Woman COMIC.

are you saying the current one isn't good?if so, what don't you like about it?

#31 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (493 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she's had a lot of great run's in the comic books.

Anyways as far as plot goes I think it would be a bad idea not to have her go into the modern world. I think her reaction to the the world is one of the main things that shows her humanity. Still use Ares as the villain though. The movie still needs to tie to her greek roots, and needs a villain that will make the movie as epic as Man of Steel.

#32 Edited by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

The same thing it takes to make any great movie:

Good cast, good writing, good directing, etc.

#33 Posted by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't know. I can't get the idea that a live action superhero movie with a female lead wouldn't be all the good out of my head. I really want someone to fix that mindset.

#34 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

A miracle.

#35 Edited by impossibilly (883 posts) - - Show Bio

1. A talented screenwriter

2. A director who has a vision for the character

3. As few nonsensical studio notes that will sink the project as possible

4. A decent budget

#36 Edited by Batman242 (4860 posts) - - Show Bio

1. A dark overtone for a plot

2. Circe as the villain

3. We don't need Steve Trevor