What will be the first Marvel movie to fail?

• 107 results
_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If ever?

I'm talking both critically and financially.

Who will it be about, how far down the road will it be, and why will it fail? All speculation, obviously.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

The Incredible Hulk was mediocre critically and failed financially.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@eyedcyou: And I believe that's what scared Marvel away from deeper films. People reacted positively to Downey's one liners and negative towards a deeper more introspective character.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: That was an actual MCU film?

Huh, the more you know.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@eyedcyou said:

@guardiandevil83 said:

@eyedcyou: And I believe that's what scared Marvel away from deeper films. People reacted positively to Downey's one liners and negative towards a deeper more introspective character.

Lol, so true.

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Dude. Our society is four steps away from either being like Idiocrosy, or The Universe of Demolition Man.

We get dumber and softer every year.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@petey_is_spidey: Dude. Our society is four steps away from either being like Idiocrosy, or The Universe of Demolition Man.

We get dumber and softer every year.

guardian has a point there, petey.

As for the question, unless Inhumans is portrayed much like 300, I don't think it will do that well, IMO. Like the comic readers will be ok with them but for the not so average followers, Black Bolt not talking probably will throw them off...unless they do telepathy

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@eyedcyou said:

You talking about the Ed Norton one or the garbage movie before Norton's???

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boschepg: He won't be the only one in the movie and I doubt I'd fail critically

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boschepg: The Norton.

Both were good in my opinion though.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boschepg: Both of them failed, but the Norton Hulk is what he's referring to.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

it might be black Panther, but i hope not. Also, i agree with Guardiandevil83

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@eyedcyou said:

That was before Marvel really hit it big.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If fantastic four counts, then that. If only counting marvel studios movies, then I could see black panther or inhumans failing critically and financially

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: I know, but it fit the criteria haha.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: I think BP will be a smash. I mean obviously the actor needs to pull the character off and the director needs to do his job but I think BP will do well if they do it decently. Like $600mil+.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StardustCrusader

@boschepg said:
@eyedcyou said:

You talking about the Ed Norton one or the garbage movie before Norton's???

Both would fit, but he's talking about Norton's since that is the only one called "The Incredible Hulk"

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: yeah, but BP doesn't have a director and i don't know if the general audience will buy into a Black Panter movie. I think they will compare him too much to Batman.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But of the future Marvel movies, Antman & Doc Strange are the sketchiest. Honestly I don't think any CBM will bomb for the foreseeable future unless they're absolute garbage.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Spambot

@cloakx14: I don't think being compared to Batman is a bad thing. He is basically a bad*** looking black Batman. I think audiences will eat it up. Getting a decent story/villain will be a bit trickier but that's why I said it has to be decently done.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap 1 wasn't financial success either...can't say

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Dr. Strange actually has alot going for it.

Beata

GreeenDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it'll be Ant-Man but we'll have to wait 2 days and see. Otherwise I feel like Spider-Man will flop critically for being THE 3RD DAMN SPIDEY REBOOT.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: I know, but it's way different than anything Marvel has made.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sachmoo

Neither Thor nor Captain America 1 were successes really. Not great at box office and received mild to negative reviews.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: well, we will see in 2017. i just hope its good !

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I feel bad I liked both Hulk movies lol. Go figure. I do not intend to see the somewhat four , They changed to much , I have no desire to see Civil War what so ever as I did not like the comics with that story line. Ragnarok has no draw for me since they have rushed the whole matter. I am looking forward to Dc Batman vs Superman. I did like Man of Steel both of those movies are DC of course. I found Thor 2 ok but the end with Loki as Odin I hope he is just walking about do not see Odin falling for the tricks he himself taught Loki.

Spiderman was awesome but they killed the whole thing when they let Gwen die made for no reason to watch it twice. Lesson learned in this as in the last matrix movie. Do not kill off the major love interest of the movie and think people will enjoy watching that movie more then once.

Avengers 2 was good but again bad ending. I watched it at the movie house and had no intent to see it twice. Two things that have to go over well. Beginning and the end.

Draw me in and you have me for how ever long you play the movie.

End it well and you have me watching it over and over.

They ended it all wrong with the Hulk acting like a coward something I prefer never to see a hero do. Run away from those they care for.

They are good with the villains but I suggest using the same villain in a three movie arc. Did they not learn anything from Harry Potter. You can make this better by not trying to make it fit into the comic world.

Why kill off Gwen when people know nobody wants to watch something again that simply is depressing.

Why show the hulk save the girl then run away? Strong in muscle weak in mind. This is not something people wish to see.

I can really only speak for myself but classic movies that you can still watch today follow these same rules.

Who does not love to sit back and get lost in some of the classics I mean they had something that worked. If it works do not fix it.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Marvel has already had failures.

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke52: He means financial failures. But I know what you mean. All I wanted for Thor Dark World was a dark, sword and sorcery epic.

I wanted Trolls, Golems, Swords and Spears. Instead we got a movie that played out like it was written by a 13 year old female LARPER.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Several have already failed critically (Thor 2, Iron Man 3). Financially Ant Man will be a failure financially by Marvel standards, after that their lineup looks solid without knowing more. No way Black Panther fails, Andy Serkis as the villain and the massive Civil War screen time already set it up for success. Plus he is aesthetically a super cool character, which sells well. I could also see Spiderman being a relative failure considering expectations, I don't expect it to do any better than the last reboot.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGrandSage23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sachmoo: which Cap movie are you talking about? The First Avenger received a 79% rating. And that's just RT. It was well received

Where are you getting your info from?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who thinks it'll be Infinity War?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Spambot

@thegrandsage23: ya, I agree. CA1 was definitely mostly well received critically. It was about everything you would want/expect from a Cap movie. WS just built on that.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inhumans

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black panther.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Blackdog2009

Plenty of bad Marvel movies out there...

Thor (funny, but really a bad movie with bad special effects and bad acting). Part 2 wasn't good either. They pushed the comedy even more in that one)

IM 2 and 3 (especially part three. What a disaster. RDJ annoys the $&& out of me)

The Incredible Hulk ( just an awful villain, that actor sucked balls and that Betty was horrible. The 2003 Betty was way superior at acting, looks and charisma)

I haven't heard good things about Avengers 2 or Ant Man.

This is the part where all of you that drink the Marvel koolaid get into a hissy fit but that myth that Marvel only produces gold is just that, a myth.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sachmoo: which Cap movie are you talking about? The First Avenger received a 79% rating. And that's just RT. It was well received

Where are you getting your info from?

The RT rating is different than actual rating. Besides, that rating also includes every 15 yr old kid who knows how to internet. The actual rating from credible reviewers is about a 6.6. That equates to slightly less than 3.5 stars.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I think Marvel has such a dedicated following right now that it'd be next to impossible for Marvel to put out a financially failing movie, and with their decent track record of directors, it would take an absolutely awful movie for them to lose any of the status that they have right now.

McMuffin_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr: lol I like dark ending, gives it that thrill. Not everything always ends well

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@xwraith said:
@eyedcyou said:

That was before Marvel really hit it big.

And even then I don't find Incredible Hulk to be that bad. I think the casting was shoddy though, and that killed it.

If Marvel puts out a hype train for Inhumans like they did for GotG then it'll get people to see it, but if not I could see Inhumans falling 'below expectations'. Not failing mind you, but not being a box-office breaker.

Thor 1 wasn't a critical hit, and personally I didn't find it all that great. Thor 2 was a little better, but still nothing spectacular. Iron Man 2 was fun, but doesn't have a lot of re-watchability (is that even a word?) for me. Cap 1 was good, but looks bad when viewed through Winter Soldier tinted glasses.

And I, for the record, am a fan of Marvel's movies (and I say this because people always rage and call each other haters and fanboys, etc). Winter Solider, GotG and Iron Man 1 are amazing. Avengers and Age of Ultron are good movies. But Marvel has put out some less than stellar ones if I'm being honest. Most of them aren't even 'bad' though, but compared to the quality they can put out they seem like it.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth people.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@spambot said:
@eyedcyou said:

TheGrandSage23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheGrandSage23

@sachmoo: "the actual rating"

You're trying too hard to lowball. You have a critics score and an audience score for RT. You have imdb cinemascore and other critics from different companies placing their reviews(IGN Screenrant etc.)

Unless you have valid proof my point stands. Cap 1 was well received

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All their movies make more than most so they aren't really failing. Maybe by marvel standards some of the movies didn't hit the mark.

RenaissanceMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black panther.

Not if they get Will Smith to play Panther. I'm not completely sold on Boseman.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Critically speaking, not sure how well-recieved either Thor movie was or the CA: First Avenger (Which I really liked btw) Ant Man is a 72 on RT and a 66 on Meta. I guess not a"flop" but not overwhelming successes either. Financially? Maybe never. Unless we want to use MOS logic where a movie that makes $200 mill more than it cost to make is considered a "flop" simply because expectations were higher.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr: lol I like dark ending, gives it that thrill. Not everything always ends well

not a huge fan of bad endings when its in a book I feel as if I wasted my time. A movie not so bad but hell if I will read a writer that does bad endings in books. You get me once never twice.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#50  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@manwhohaseverything said:

Critically speaking, not sure how well-recieved either Thor movie was or the CA: First Avenger (Which I really liked btw) Ant Man is a 72 on RT and a 66 on Meta. I guess not a"flop" but not overwhelming successes either. Financially? Maybe never. Unless we want to use MOS logic where a movie that makes $200 mill more than it cost to make is considered a "flop" simply because expectations were higher.

That whole MOS thing was purely based on some comic vine poster completely misrepresenting an article about how MoS was "expected" to make 750m. In reality, the article linked was just some random dude, with no credibility on a blog, guessing the movie would make 750.

660 is more than enough to be profitable, even after marketing costs.

And given that we saw the news that WB is invested like 5 billion dollars or whatever into this new slew of films up to 2020, they clearly weren't disappointed.