#1 Posted by Army2442 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically what story had the most emotional impact on you guys?

For me it was the death of spider-man because it was really well written, I also thought the death of superman was a great story as well and was a great for super-man to go out even though they brought him back it was still a great story.

#2 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Death of Spiderman and Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)

#3 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

mmm define "impactful"

Do you mean which comic book death had the most impact inside the comic book universe, or in reality?

#4 Posted by Army2442 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lion_Heart22:I meant which one had the most emotional impact on you

#5 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

@Army2442: Oooh... well that's much better actually.

I was real young when I read Superman's death... not only that, it was all over the news and everything, and for years I didn't get to read the subsequent comics where he comes back... so being a kid, it really feels real to you.. I guess that one would be it.

But Stephanie Brown did upset me when she died. Ditto for Blue Beetle and Ultimate Spiderman. Since I was a grown up by then, they should count too.

#6 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Death of Johnny Storm, mainly before issue 600 came along.

This cover of Amazing spider-man just gets me every time. Spidey is just sitting there reminiscing about his friend and the past. Beautiful cover from Marcos Martin.

#7 Posted by Army2442 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lion_Heart22:Those were some good ones too and I also felt that the death of Captain America was well done as well even though bringing him back felt very out of place.

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

Colossus' death during the Legacy Virus arc. The fact that he died sacrificing himself to save all of mutant kind stayed with me for a long time.  Also, Magik's death to the Legacy Virus was also sad.

#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman from DC

Spiderman's "temporary" death at the hands of Morlun.

#10 Edited by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman absolutely no doubt

even Batman agrees

Ignore the PWNED I'm being serious

EDIT: the point of this picture was to show how inspired people were by superman's death (the death I truly feel to be the most impactful), however it seems like people aren't interpreting it that way..........

#11 Posted by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio

I always felt sorry for Elongated Man when Sue Dibny died...

#12 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

even Batman agrees

OUCH!

... Is that true?

I thought that Superman was DC's Captain America? Isn't he suposed to say something cool every event?

#13 Posted by nickthedevil (11622 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

even Batman agrees

LOL

Anyway, The Death of Captain America was a really big one.... for me I guess.

#14 Edited by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool: Eh, you could argue that Death of Superman was the last time we really saw a large mass of people be inspired by Superman alone, but it would probably be more accurate to say that they just wanted to give Batman a zinger. We've seen tons of individual people be inspired by the man of steel since he died and even medium sized crowds but the last time I can remember them having Superman inspire hundreds of on panel (as opposed to vaugley referred to) people was at his funeral

@nickthedevil: Lol, thanks for helping me be serious :p

#15 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Wow, that is harsh. That poor baby :(

#16 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

The death of the Question

'Like a butterfly'

#17 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@Afro_Warrior: ... Vic.

@BlackArmor said:

@Deadcool: Eh, you could argue that Death of Superman was the last time we really saw a large mass of people be inspired by Superman alone, but it would probably be more accurate to say that they just wanted to give Batman a zinger. We've seen tons of individual people be inspired by the man of steel since he died and even medium sized crowds but the last time I can remember them having Superman inspire hundreds of on panel (as opposed to vaugley referred to) people was at his funeral

I see.

#18 Posted by The Stegman (23162 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman

#19 Posted by The_Tree (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

Vic Sage and Ted Kord got me the most emotional.

#20 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1668 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I have to say Superman and Dark Phoenix. But if it were more open, I'd definitely say Batman's broken back. I can't read knightfall ever again...

#21 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman

#22 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

Rorschach. No idea why but it was my favorite...

#23 Posted by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Sue Dibny... in terms of impact her death was a trigger which changed the entire DCU forever.

#24 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio
Gwen Stacy
#25 Posted by progenitor (7532 posts) - - Show Bio

The "death" of Captain America, for me.

#26 Posted by Saren (25315 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncle Ben

#28 Posted by JediXMan (29663 posts) - - Show Bio

@Afro_Warrior said:

The death of the Question

'Like a butterfly'

Man. You know, I knew it was coming. I had heard the spoilers before I read 52, and I was still heavily impacted when that scene came. So well written and paced.

You don't happen to have the second page or the page leading to that, do you?

#29 Posted by 0blivion_ (623 posts) - - Show Bio
Copycat dies in Deadpool's arms...
#30 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing how those that did survive react throughout the whole ordeal, from Santo's inability to move to Josh and him trying to save a lost cause, to Hellion attempting to save Tag but being too late as another explosion rocks the bus. These deaths truly ended the childhood of the New X-men.

#31 Posted by TDK_1997 (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Spider-Man,Sue Dibny(it was really sad) and maybe Johnny Storm but I didn't like it that much because I knew he would return in the near future.

#32 Posted by Battlepig (214 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, it was and probably always will be the death of Ringo Chen in Hitman. Before his death, he was almost a threat to Tommy Monaghan and seemed to have a very flexible view of morals and loyalty. But during the torture and everything, he revealed that not only did he know about Tommy's run-in with the Bloodlines-guys but he also kept quiet about it and was fiercly loyal to the guys at Noonan's, having escaped China and found some kind of family in them.

And while that's not an epic speech of monumental importance, like the stuff Superman or Captain America say, it's still a very fitting speech for a man like Ringo. In case you want to read this storyline but not the entirety of "Hitman" (which I would recommend, actually), it starts with issue #39.

#33 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

#34 Posted by Army2442 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#35 Posted by Lvenger (18429 posts) - - Show Bio

Gwen Stacy as that was the death of the first major character in a superhero comic and marked the end of the SA. Also Barry Allen's sacrifice was incredibly moving and meaningful to me in COIE. In terms of the death that probably had the most effect in reality, it would have to be Superman. No one expected DC to kill off their star character even if it was temporary. It doesn't have any emotional for me since I was born in 1993 so I wasn't even aware of Superman let alone his death.

#36 Posted by Army2442 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#37 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Gwen Stacy

#38 Posted by redhood21 (774 posts) - - Show Bio

ben reilly, ted kord, superboy, and archangel

#39 Posted by EugeneSaxe (227 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncle Ben, he had the decency to stay dead.

#40 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by darkwolverineUSMC (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure, hard call. So many have taken me by the bobo's. Nightcrawler, Cable, Pheonix, so many have made me say WHAT....!

#42 Posted by Paracelsus (1517 posts) - - Show Bio

Madame Rouge's in Teen Titans. I especially liked her deathbed repentance speech in which she thanked her "killer" Gar Logan , saying that she "died" as a person many years ago and was glad to die physically, esp when she urged him and his fellow Titans to flee the scene before the explosion killed them both.

Terry

#43 Posted by karrob (4278 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Uncle Ben
#44 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

The Death Of Superman, by far for me.

#45 Posted by Slaze (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to say Sue Dibny, Rorschach and weirdly enough, the original Terra in New Teen Titans.

#46 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to go with Sue Dibney as well.  Bad things happen to headliner characters because they're expected to happen.  Sooner or later the book needs a boost in sales and a character dies, loses a power, gains a power, or ends up in a wheelchair for a few issues (or years).  We expect these cycles from publishers.

Sue was so different.  She wasn't a main character.  In many ways, she wasn't even a principle supporting character.  She was married to a guy was a member of Flash's supporting cast.  We never expected anything to happen to her.  Ralph had no vindictive arch-nemesis, so she was supposed to stay safe in her role.  Even more disturbing was the circumstances of her death: killed by someone who was a long-time friend.

Makes me wonder if Ralph hated Plastic Man even more after Identity Crisis.  Plas got to have a kid.  Ralph lost his.