What was the last death you believed to?

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Talking about superhero franchises that are decade long money machines, here. Of course I'm not talking about actual stories with a beginning and an end.

So mainly DC and Marvel. When was the last time that you saw a superhero die and you went "Oh my God! He/she's dead? I can't believe it? How will the other characters do?"

I'm talking about that time you said that instead "Oh, they made him die? Wonder when he/she will come back."

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well not really a superhero but a supporting character Karen Page I still believe it will be this way and if not then I will probably drop Daredevil as a character if the character does return. If I have to choose a real superhero it most be colossus when he killed himself with the antidote for the mutant plague (or whatever it was called) some 10+ years back. Was it doing Morrison's run? That was back when Joe Quesada's "dead means dead" policy was still new and I was knew to comics and therefore naive so I believed him.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: uh, didn't think about her. Althought she's not really the main character I guess it would still count as a permanent death. Colossus's death, you say. That was a good one... would have been even better if it had been permanent...

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tupiaz

@matteopg said:

@tupiaz: uh, didn't think about her. Althought she's not really the main character I guess it would still count as a permanent death. Colossus's death, you say. That was a good one... would have been even better if it had been permanent...

Yep. Especially since it was pretty emotional and a self sacrifice.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PeppeyHare

Probably when Cap died, but I didn't really know how death worked in comics at that point

SirMethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colossus' death, when he sacrificed himself.

It was shortly after Quesada had recently made an announcement along the lines of "from now on, death is permanent.".

I was already fairly disillusioned about death in comics at that point, but with Quesada having taken over relatively recently at the time, I figured that he might actually stick to his word.

That's also why Colossus' eventual return from death, is the only character revival that actually upset me. Because it was Quesada breaking his word, on top of Marvel essentially pissing on Colossus' sacrifice.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

I thought having Professor X, Jean, And Cyclops die in the X- films was a bit much

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirmethos: @peppeyhare: seems like Colouss's demise was the magic one for a lot of people. I didn't read it after some years later, so for me I guess would be Cap's as well.

I wasn't really new to comics, but I was like "ok, they made it clear, the body is there, every kind of superpowered perception was used on it... they want it to be meaningful."

I was kind of a fool, appearently. Also, I think that his resurrection was one of the lamest ones ever. The spirit-time-travelling bullet.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Rex-splode :(

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: ouch! Still hadn't read that one, I'm catching up on Invincible... remember to spoiler block, please?

But I wouldn't count Invincible as your standard Superhero comic like those from DC and Marvel. From the point where I am now, it just seems that Kirkman's stuff is ongoing, possibly for a long time, but characters do evolve, situations do change and time does matter. Just think at how different Nolan's character has become over the first 10 volumes.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colossus' death, when he sacrificed himself.

It was shortly after Quesada had recently made an announcement along the lines of "from now on, death is permanent.".

I was already fairly disillusioned about death in comics at that point, but with Quesada having taken over relatively recently at the time, I figured that he might actually stick to his word.

That's also why Colossus' eventual return from death, is the only character revival that actually upset me. Because it was Quesada breaking his word, on top of Marvel essentially pissing on Colossus' sacrifice.

Indeed. It was doing Morrison's run right?

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

@fallschirmjager: ouch! Still hadn't read that one, I'm catching up on Invincible... remember to spoiler block, please?

But I wouldn't count Invincible as your standard Superhero comic like those from DC and Marvel. From the point where I am now, it just seems that Kirkman's stuff is ongoing, possibly for a long time, but characters do evolve, situations do change and time does matter. Just think at how different Nolan's character has become over the first 10 volumes.

hey. it happened 4 years ago. If you still haven't read it, SHAME ON YOU!!!

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: I know, but it's not that far away. We spoiler blocked the first death mentioned (not Colossus', but it wasn't me). I know I am a little behind, but I started reading Invincible only like three months ago...

Still, it's no trouble, stuff like this can happen with events that are getting old. Absolutely no worries, all is chill!

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

@fallschirmjager: I know, but it's not that far away. We spoiler blocked the first death mentioned (not Colossus', but it wasn't me). I know I am a little behind, but I started reading Invincible only like three months ago...

Still, it's no trouble, stuff like this can happen with events that are getting old. Absolutely no worries, all is chill!

you gotta catch up. imo Invincible is way better than Walking Dead. head and shoulders.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Prof x, maybe? Probably because it's one of the only deaths that fans don't seem to winge about, so the publishers don't have to bring him back and that his death actually had a effect on the X-universe (from what I read).

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MatteoPG

@maccyd: interesting. It would make sense but I am kind of disillusioned about the whole thing. I give it one-two years ;)

@fallschirmjager: I will, I am hooked! Just waiting for my next paycheck!

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@matteopg: In slott's most recent interview about Superior, he stated that he actually didn't know how long it'd last at first, since it depended on fans' reaction.

The only major hero to get a permanent death that I can think of is the original Captain Mar-vell. Any more?

SirMethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: I honestly don't remember, it was so long ago, and at that point I didn't really pay much attention to the writers.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tupiaz

@fallschirmjager: Is there a reason not to spoiler block? Some death a still kept a secret and are unknown by many no reason to spoil it for anybody. HeckKaren Page'sis 15 years old and is still unknown to many comic book readers.

@maccyd said:

@matteopg: In slott's most recent interview about Superior, he stated that he actually didn't know how long it'd last at first, since it depended on fans' reaction.

The only major hero to get a permanent death that I can think of is the original Captain Mar-vell. Any more?

Bucky…oh wait never mind.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightcrawler had an really awesome death i really believed that one now i am incredibly upset and disapointed with marvel with the whole x-men going to heaven to bring him back this is just utterly stupid.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I had to cry when Resurrection man died I didn't expect him to die luckily he came back to life (JK)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantomex in Uncanny X-Force.