what visionary director do you want to see make a comic book movi

JackieEstacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JackieEstacado

Ridley Scott can do no wrong. kevin smith, joss whedon, george lucas, steven spielberg, quentin tarrantino, james cameron, peter jackson, jj abrams, and john woo would all also be awesome DO GI JOE AND TRANSFORMERS COUNT? CUZ IF THEY DON'T THEN I'D ALSO LIKE TO SOMMERS AND BAY MAKE A COMIC BOOK MOVIE and why not McG while were at it? IT WOULD ALSO GET SICK TO GET JACKIE CHAN TO BOTH WRITE SHANG CHI AND PLAY HIM.

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mutant X

I wouldn't mind seeing James Cameron direct a superhero movie. I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan, but his style wouldn't work with a superhero movie.

...and McG is a d!ck.

JackieEstacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JackieEstacado

i would also like to see Gore Verbinski do one
AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By AngelFrost

I'd like to see Tim Burton return (: I thought he did an excellent job in the Batman series,  especially for that time period.   M. Night Shyamalan would be interesting to see, I loved Lady in the Water, Unbreakable and the Happening. & David Slade, he is just a pure visionary director, his work is really good, like 30 Days of Night and Hard Candy.

Avatar image for blackandredflag
Blackandredflag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Blackandredflag
@AngelFrost: I dont think M.Night Shyamalan's style would work for a super hero type (I keep thinking of Ang Lee's Hulk), but ya Unbreakable was awsome take on super heroes! Id love to see Tim Burton do anything to do with Gaimon's Sandman, that would be perfect.
Also since when does anyone like Michael Bay, he sucks! keep him away from anything I like!
AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AngelFrost
@Blackandredflag:   I don't know, M Night Shyamalan's style is sorta dark and mysterous, which would work well with a dark-comic style.  And yes, Michael Bay is terrible.
Avatar image for blackandredflag
Blackandredflag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Blackandredflag
@AngelFrost: yup

JackieEstacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JackieEstacado
@Blackandredflag:
michael bay rocks the transformers and bad boys movies were amazing!
JackieEstacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JackieEstacado
@AngelFrost:
umm hello? 30 days of night is a COMIC BOOK MOVIE !!!! the question was who would you like to see direct a comic book movie you diot!
AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AngelFrost
@Blackandredflag:  Yes, Michael Bay can't direct ... but he is incredibly hot. PHWOARRR.
Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By MysterioMaximus

Joss Whedon is responsible for some of the worst sequels in the history of cinema, so I’d pass on him touching…any film ever again. Not to mention he’s a complete and total walking copyright violation. I don’t think he has an original bone in his body and I stand by that even when confronted by his drones. He’s terribly overrated for what he is. Cult following is more then he deserves.

Peter Jackson has potential, but he really shines more so in the (clichéd) “high” fantasy adventure and horror genre. But Del Toro and Jackson have an awful lot in common, it’s really no wonder why he was chosen to direct the Hobbit, and Toro did a wonderful job on the Hellboy films. So I’d give Jackson the vote of confidence that he could pull a comic flick off well.

Kevin Smith has already said he’ll never do a superhero movie. It’s not his style. He’s too lazy, he joked. Something about Green Hornet and Tonto and how they’d be chilling on the side of a building, hanging out and talking about pussy, and you’d hear some explosion or action off-screen, they’d run off…and you’d just hear the noise. They’d then walk back on-screen, a little scuffed up but alright, and continue talking about chicks. He’s also told quite possibly the greatest story ever about his potential Superman sequel with Tim Burton. I can’t see him ever actually doing anything with a superhero film outside of scriptwriting or guest appearances.

George Lucas lost his talent somewhere between Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Phantom Menace. I think it got stuck in his neck or something, because he’s turned into some sort of bullfrog with the personality of a film-directing Donald Trump. His best route is to retire, if he has any self-respect, before all his fans turn on him. I can just imagine him doing Batman or Spider-Man. A decade later he CGI’s the crap out of it to reflect his “original vision”.

Spielberg is better with pulps and serials. Give him The Shadow, The Spirit, The Spider, Tarzan, or especially Doc Savage and I think you’ll have gold! Though Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull left a lot to be desired in the eyes of many, I chalk that up to Lucas forcing the 50’s B-movie themed script on Steven. Exclude George from the project and you’ll be safe and sound!

I know James Cameron was attached to Spider-Man in the early 90’s, but his ideas seemed bizarre. I know the reasons the 90’s Animated Series didn’t ever use the Sandman or only Electro (whom only appeared in the last season for a single episode) once was because of something to do with rights some studio owned for the potential live-action film. Cameron wanted to use those villains, which begs the question…why? Odd choices to me, even after Raimi too used Sandman it left me wondering. I wouldn’t deem them significant enough to Spider-Man to be worthy of film appearance. So that makes me wonder if he’s really able to pull off superheroes. Still, I’d have a lot more confidence in him than most other big-budget directors today.

Christopher Nolan isn’t a “super powered” superhero kind of guy. I think that’s obvious. And let’s face it; there are few characters that can get as dark and real-world gritty as Batman, where he really excels.

Whoever said Tim Burton for Sandman is a genius! I think that would be freaking fantastic, I actually describe Gaimen to those unfamiliar as the Burton of comics, and I agree with whoever it was who said his Batman ventures were great. I’m not as wild about Returns, though his Catwoman was awesome and makes me weak in the knees, but Batman (1989) is a freaking masterpiece (in my mind) that I find criminally underrated and misunderstood these days.

Ridley Scott…and superheroes? He’s a genius and visionary, but he’s kind of stuck up. Notoriously so! Harrison Ford said the Blade Runner shoot was one of the worst experiences of his life. I can’t see Scott viewing tights and capes as anything more then children’s stuff, though we all know differently. I think he works best in the historical or sci-fi genre. I could see him maybe touching something like Conan or Flash Gordon, but not the superhero genre itself.

Michael Bay Spider-Man – Webbing explodes! That guy is a joke…Transformers was good…that is if you don’t like thinks like scripts and plots and dialogue and acting and…

Tarantino I could see maybe doing something more violent like Ennis-style Punisher. Face fact, that’s his mark – violence.    

MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MysterioMaximus

Joss Whedon is responsible for some of the worst sequels in the history of cinema, so I’d pass on him touching…any film ever again. Not to mention he’s a complete and total walking copyright violation. I don’t think he has an original bone in his body and I stand by that even when confronted by his drones. He’s terribly overrated for what he is. Cult following is more then he deserves.

Peter Jackson has potential, but he really shines more so in the (clichéd) “high” fantasy adventure and horror genre. But Del Toro and Jackson have an awful lot in common, it’s really no wonder why he was chosen to direct the Hobbit, and Toro did a wonderful job on the Hellboy films. So I’d give Jackson the vote of confidence that he could pull a comic flick off well.

Kevin Smith has already said he’ll never do a superhero movie. It’s not his style. He’s too lazy, he joked. Something about Green Hornet and Tonto and how they’d be chilling on the side of a building, hanging out and talking about pussy, and you’d hear some explosion or action off-screen, they’d run off…and you’d just hear the noise. They’d then walk back in-frame, a little scuffed up but alright, and continue talking about chicks. He’s also told quite possibly the greatest story ever about his potential Superman sequel with Tim Burton. I can’t see him ever actually doing anything with a superhero film outside of scriptwriting or guest appearances.

George Lucas lost his talent somewhere between Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Phantom Menace. I think it got stuck in his neck or something, because he’s turned into some sort of bullfrog with the personality of a film-directing Donald Trump. His best route is to retire, if he has any self-respect, before more (if not all) his fans turn on him. I can just imagine him doing Batman or Spider-Man. A decade later he CGI’s the crap out of it to reflect his “original vision”.

Spielberg is better with pulps and serials. Give him The Shadow, The Spirit, The Spider, Tarzan, or especially Doc Savage and I think you’ll have gold! Though Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull left a lot to be desired in the eyes of many, I chalk that up to Lucas forcing the 50’s B-movie themed script on Steven. Exclude George from the project and you’ll be safe and sound!

I know James Cameron was attached to Spider-Man in the early 90’s, but his ideas seemed bizarre. I know the reasons the 90’s Animated Series didn’t ever use the Sandman or only Electro (whom only appeared in the last season for a single episode) once was because of something to do with rights some studio owned for the potential live-action film. Cameron wanted to use those villains, which begs the question…why? Odd choices to me, even after Raimi too used Sandman it left me wondering. I wouldn’t deem them significant enough to Spider-Man to be worthy of film appearance. So that makes me wonder if he’s really able to pull off superheroes. Still, I’d have a lot more confidence in him than most other big-budget directors today.

Christopher Nolan isn’t a “super powered” superhero kind of guy. I think that’s obvious. And let’s face it; there are few characters that can get as dark and real-world gritty as Batman, where he really excels.

Whoever said Tim Burton for Sandman is a genius! I think that would be freaking fantastic, I actually describe Gaimen to those unfamiliar as the Burton of comics, and I agree with whoever it was who said his Batman ventures were great. I’m not as wild about Returns, though his Catwoman was awesome and makes me weak in the knees, but Batman (1989) is a freaking masterpiece (in my mind) that I find criminally underrated and misunderstood these days.

Ridley Scott…and superheroes? He’s a genius and visionary, but he’s kind of stuck up. Notoriously so! Harrison Ford said the Blade Runner shoot was one of the worst experiences of his life. I can’t see Scott viewing tights and capes as anything more then children’s stuff, though we all know differently. I think he works best in the historical or sci-fi genre. I could see him maybe touching something like Conan or Flash Gordon, but not the superhero genre itself.

Michael Bay Spider-Man – Webbing explodes! That guy is a joke…Transformers was good…that is if you don’t like things like scripts and plots and dialogue and acting and…

Tarantino I could see maybe doing something more violent like Ennis-style Punisher. Face fact, that’s his mark – violence.    

JackieEstacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JackieEstacado

john woo
lozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lozer

I'd like to see David Fincher

MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I'd love to see David Lynch do Batman...you may as well just drop acid before seeing it because it'll make zero sense.

OhTru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OhTru
@Mutant X said:
" I wouldn't mind seeing James Cameron direct a superhero movie."
He has publicly stated he's sick of seeing comicbook movies

"Cameron:  too many superhero movies. "
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Waters and Lloyd Kaufman

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mutant X
@OhTru said:
" @Mutant X said:
" I wouldn't mind seeing James Cameron direct a superhero movie."
He has publicly stated he's sick of seeing comicbook movies

"Cameron:  too many superhero movies. " "
Yeah, I know. Just saying, it'd be cool.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Caligula
@Mutant X said:
"I wouldn't mind seeing James Cameron direct a superhero movie. I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan, but his style wouldn't work with a superhero movie.  ...and McG is a d!ck. "

I actually think Kevin Smith would be the perfect director for a Plastic Man, Deadpool, or anyother comedic hero. 
If I chose a director for a movie though, I would go with George Romero for a "Walking Dead" movie adaptation, or Stanley Kubrick for a "Sweet Tooth", "Chew", or "Captain America".
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Caligula
@MysterioMaximus said:
"I'd love to see David Lynch do Batman...you may as well just drop acid before seeing it because it'll make zero sense. "

oh man Eraserhead flashbacks!
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MysterioMaximus said:
" I'd love to see David Lynch do Batman...you may as well just drop acid before seeing it because it'll make zero sense. "
dopplegangers. pandoras box. these are really the only things you need to focus on to make sense of
Lynch's work.
TheGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGuy

Tarantino should be attached to anything written by Garth Ennis, that or Miller's better work.

Cellywyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cellywyn
@TheGuy said:
" Tarantino should be attached to anything written by Garth Ennis. "
I have to agree with that statement. I would love to see a movie based on The Boys!
MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MysterioMaximus

Didn't I already say that? ;]

Cellywyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cellywyn
@MysterioMaximus said:
"Tarantino I could see maybe doing something more violent like Ennis-style Punisher. Face fact, that’s his mark – violence.  "
You did. My apologies good sir. I bow down to your directorial choice wisdom. :P
MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MysterioMaximus

Hah! Well thank you, sir! I'm just jagging, I'm bored. Hah! But I just couldn't help but think that Ennis and his pretty over-the-top dark humor works so damned well for Tarantino.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By MrMiracle77

None of the above. 

While I like seeing a nice comic book flick from time to time, repeated disappointments have left me almost devoid of the enjoyment of anticipation.  While many of the aforementioned directors could probably direct a very good comic based movie, one that I'd probably enjoy seeing, I'd still rather just read the books.  And if the movies were never made?  I'd still just read the books.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Caligula
@CATMANEXE said:
"John Waters and Lloyd Kaufman "

Lloyd would be awkward, I love the Troma films but I can't really think of a comic-book movie he would do well. (although his own super-hero the Toxic Avenger, is classic. as well as Nuke'Em High, and Terror Firmer) 

and I think John Waters could do a good job with something like "Invicible" or mabye a "Teen Titans".
Cellywyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cellywyn
@MysterioMaximus: I think it would be a match made in heaven. A movie directed by the man who lives for the over the top. Ah perhaps dream that will come true one day, eh?
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula: 
Troma= Deadpool, Lobo, anything along those lines.
Waters= The Boys or more specifically Herogasm.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Caligula
@CATMANEXE said:
" @Caligula:  Troma= Deadpool, Lobo, anything along those lines. Waters= The Boys or more specifically Herogasm. "

Troma would't of had the budget for those movies even if they were still around, Troma is bankrupt now though, it made me sad when i heard the news. Poultrygeist was to be their last movie for awhile. 

they are still around technically they just don't have the money to make any new films currently, James Gunn (who used to work for Troma) has spoke on possibly giving Lloyd and company a helping hand, being that he got his start with them, and then went on to do Scooby-Doo and Slither. 

Troma is still re-leasing re-issues of DVD's and such merch, to try continue making films again, but at the moment they are on shakey grounds.
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula: 
yeah, but i was more for the production team, as saying like Lobo, they would be commissioned by WB
for it, who would also provide the budget. they did get a bit of cash from the Toxic Avenger Broadway Musical
to my understanding though that theyre not dead in the water, but they were always just struggling to breath as it was.
if they go under i wont be surprised, they had problems even selling the VHS f Toxic Avenger when it was a known movie.
ill still watch the original over and over, right along with Tromeo And Juliet. (and yeah, caught that Melvin the mopboy scne
in Slither, good times)

cant believe it but this actually reminded me i made a Mark Torgl appreciation thread here a long time ago
(yes, i was very drunk then)
yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By yodagod
@MysterioMaximus:
I agree with most of what you said.  Espescially Ridley Scott doing Conan.  As for comic books, I loved how Robert Rodrigues did Sin City.  If I had my way, he would do every comic movie ever.  Then we would never end up with a Wolverine Origins, X-men 3, or Gi Joe catastrophy again.  There are more, but those are the worst rape of story for any story transferred from one medium to another I think I've ever seen.  Rodrigues at least is true to the origional writer's conceptualization and doesn't feel the need to fill his own ego with some misplaced artistic experimentation.
Avatar image for captaincockblock
CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By CaptainCockblock

Ridley Scott could make a bad-ass Moon Knight.

Kevin Smith is the kind of cynical comic-book lover for a Deadpool movie

Tarantino/ Zombie for Hellfire (I'm assuming his movie is a long ways off, he ain't even on comic-vine yet)

Speakin' of Rob Zombie, I'd like to see him do Spawn right

Oliver Stone, Captain America. "Why didn't you tell me what it was like, Fury?"

Zack Snyder, Ghost Rider reboot ( Someone like Sam Worthington this time, at least have him fit the roll)

Avatar image for deathstroketheterminator
DeathstrokeTheTerminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JackieEstacado:
The director Hot Fuzz doing a Deadpool movie.
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
@CATMANEXE said:

" @Caligula:  Troma= Deadpool, Lobo, anything along those lines. Waters= The Boys or more specifically Herogasm. "

LoL. BUT. What would Lloyd do with all that money to make a BIG budget film with??...perhaps...a masterpiece? lol
Avatar image for bearded_justice
Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bearded Justice
@CaptainCockblock said:
"Ridley Scott could make a bad-ass Moon Knight.  Kevin Smith is the kind of cynical comic-book lover for a Deadpool movie  Tarantino/ Zombie for Hellfire (I'm assuming his movie is a long ways off, he ain't even on comic-vine yet)  Speakin' of Rob Zombie, I'd like to see him do Spawn right  Oliver Stone, Captain America. "Why didn't you tell me what it was like, Fury?"  Zack Snyder, Ghost Rider reboot ( Someone like Sam Worthington this time, at least have him fit the roll) "

wow read my mind on that one.
Avatar image for themarvelfanboy
TheMarvelFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheMarvelFanboy

After seeing the trailer for Avatar: The Last Airbender i would love to see M. Night do a comic book movie
Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Avantar

Roman Polanski.. He could do a film that contained the scene of Sentry and  Rogue's tryst.
Kynikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Kynikos
@lozer said:
"I'd like to see David Fincher "

agree, but ya can't stick him with an optimistic character or comic.
darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By darkcloakx

spike lee for black panther  i think he do the character justice or edward zwick the guy that directed blood diamonds. 
craig brewer for luke cage  he's   also directed hustle & flow 
joe carnahan for deadpool he directed smokin aces  
peter jackson for silver surfer movie 
matthew vaughan for cloak & dagger movie