What the Frack just happen in Invincible?spoilers issue 110

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Black_Arrow

Too many things happened in this issue. Mark and Eve broke up and I think this is extremely serious this time. And then one of the most disturbing scenes in Invincible happen Mark got raped by Anissa . My god I realized this when they started to fight but I was hoping that he would have killed her but instead this happened.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler

I'm waiting for Corey's review to further discuss this topic but yeah, this issue sure was... something.

EDIT: Duh. Nevermind me.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I'm so behind on Invincible but still, stuff like this should not surprise people. This is Kirkman we're talking about.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I'm so behind on Invincible but still, stuff like this should not surprise people. This is Kirkman we're talking about.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

I honestly hadn't expected that when reading the comic.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Black_Arrow

Yeah but the book was so suppose to be a family book. If this were Walking dead, I wound t be surprise at all.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Arrow

This is issue was really crazy.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but the book was so suppose to be a family book. If this were Walking dead, I wound t be surprise at all.

Family book? Right at the beginning of the series Invincible pounded a man's skull to goo. Invincible only started with a vague pretension to be family friendly as a vehicle to deconstruct kid hero stories.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow said:

Family book? Right at the beginning of the series Invincible pounded a man's skull to goo. Invincible only started with a vague pretension to be family friendly as a vehicle to deconstruct kid hero stories.

Kirkman said it specifically that Invincible was a family book. You see violence in everything now a days. So as disturbing as it sounds It is ok to have tons of violence. But since issue 108 they are going for something more mature than the thing that Kirkman previously said that he wound t do with the book. (Most of what I am saying is the explanation that Robert gave)

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kirkman said it specifically that Invincible was a family book. You see violence in everything now a days. So as disturbing as it sounds It is ok to have tons of violence. But since issue 108 they are going for something more mature than the thing that Kirkman previously said that he wound t do with the book. (Most of what I am saying is the explanation that Robert gave)

Eh, if Kirkman's says it started off as a family book. Then this man doesn't know what a family book is. Early issues had teenagers kidnapped and turned into super zombies, had people turned into bombs, had cannibalism. Honestly, Invincible has been pretty hardcore since the beginning as far as mainstream super-hero comics go.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow said:

Eh, if Kirkman's says it started off as a family book. Then this man doesn't know what a family book is. Early issues had teenagers kidnapped and turned into super zombies, had people turned into bombs, had cannibalism. Honestly, Invincible has been pretty hardcore since the beginning as far as mainstream super-hero comics go.

Well he is saying what he considers what is ok for society. I agree It is pretty delusional but he kinda said that things like what happen in issue 108 and 110 weren't going to happen.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crom_cruach: I did some research in other interviews he says that it is a book for mature people. And then in other responses of emails he reenforces this. I think that he contradicted himself .

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@black_arrow: I feel your topic is the best one so far to place this, I been having lots of arguments lately about this showing thanks to issue #118 kinda addressing it. I recently caught up with Invincible reading, and issue #110 and #118 strike me in ways that make no sense. I know I am not the only person on this site or others that feel the Rape scene was justified, or even a real rape scene. many people below in the review feel this was poorly executed as a rape.

http://www.comicvine.com/reviews/invincible-110/1900-2903/

Since the review came out some people felt the way I been feeling about this attempt at sales. No way could Mark not have fought off Anessia. The only context provided by Kirkmen in the comic pages is Mark was emotionally unhinge at the time. Kirkmen further states this about his "Rape" scene.

No Caption Provided

Kirkmen likes to think himself the rape was clear cut, and that was his intent. However 18 issues later he finally writes something more about issue 110.

No Caption Provided

In his breakdown, he tells Eve everything, and portrays the emotions Rape victims might have. It was my fault and such comments. He also states he could have stopped her, and after his ability to beat Conquest, and beat down other male Viltrumites in fights, it seems the idea of him being forced is absurd. Sadly for us, the only real context is the breakup with eve before the "rape".

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It was clear that Mark was emotionally compromise, and more so his decisions making like wise not in order. The guy was a emotional wreck, much like Nightwing was in his allege "rape". Lets compare that in fact. Further more Kirkmen is not the only guy to attempt female on male rape.

No Caption Provided

Devin Grayson did the same thing before Kirkmen, only he labels it as "Non Consensual" rather than specifically stating rape. Reading what he wrote, and how the comic played out, seems like Kirkmen is practically ripping Grayson work off lol.

To me it seems that Kirkmen is out of his depth here, and did this rape topic only to stir controversy to sell comics. It does not help Invincible comics were at a all time low before this "rape" happen. Kirmen is a bit of a hypocrite as others point have out in interviews he has done before, and here it strikes me the same when he wants to state people who dont agree with his work as being ignorant, when he wrote a unclear context on Mark's rape. Which was further made questionable with his talk to Eve. There is no excuse for a person of Marks accomplishments, and stats to been rape by a weaker foe. The bad breakup with Eve adds more doubt to him being overpowered and raped.

In short to me anyway, Mark was raped in the fact that rape is the term we would use to describe what happen to him as far as law is concern, but is was poorly done when Mark was more than powerful enough to stop it, which is the point of the whole argument of Mark on a personal level truly being raped.

Anyway, I want to know what others think after all this time. Was this Rape really executed well, or a mess for Kirkmen to stir up sales?