X Men

X Force

Avengers

Illuminati (New Avengers)

Justice League

Justice League Dark

Teen Titans

Guardians of the Galaxy

Which current team book is your favorite and why? This list is not exhaustive by any means so feel free to elaborate on any others you enjoy. I'm new to reading team books in general and want to find some others to get into.

There's no Team Book Guide of any sort so I was hoping people's comments on their own favorites could help me understand what sets each book apart from the rest. I look to forward to reading some comments. Thanks!

#2 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8753 posts) - - Show Bio

Guardians of the Galaxy.

I like them because they're a small team, meaning there's time for character, as well as plot, development and and you get to know those certain character, and get to like them. That's what's more enjoyable for me. Whereas Teams like Avengers have such a huge cast of members it gets confusing and its hard to relate to them because there's so many! You end up getting so smothered in fast-paced plot that there's no time for character development, and understandably so.

I think that's one of the main reasons that I dropped the title but kept Guardians.

#3 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

None listed. I'd say BPRD.

#4 Edited by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League has nice pictures.

#5 Posted by ThexX (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Avengers.

#6 Edited by The Stegman (26114 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League, let people hate on it, it's been good, and Shazam! has been fantastic.

#7 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really enjoying GOTG and New Avengers. Been on the fence with Uncanny Avengers since ish number 1 lol.

Still haven't found my team book for DC in the new 52 yet. I'm not particularly finding an interest in JL right now, and I had hopes for JLA but the whole premise of that book doesn't make any sense. Also, I don't know why Green Arrow is not an official member. I mean how could they not utilize him?

Anyone know how Teen Titans is? I've never even read a Teen Titans book before. Worth picking up? I really want to find a team book I enjoy from DC.

#8 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers and Uncanny Avengers (I'm a pretty big Wasp and Scarlet Witch fan), also Cable and X-force is pretty good.

#9 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

At the present? I'd say New Avengers.

On a whole, Justice League probably has my vote.

#10 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

New Avengers. Most appealing, unique team book of the bunch, imo. These are people who don't have any problems with doing what needs to be done. While dealing with the biggest problems in the universe using only their intelligence for the most part. Makes things much more interesting.

#11 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: @novi_homines:

Loooove New Avengers. It's moments like this that give this apocalyptic book its grandeur.

#12 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis

Indeed. In a sense, it's almost not a team book - just an assembly of the MU's leaders fighting on an epic scale.

#13 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny Avengers

#14 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

None of those, they're all awful. Every team book by Marvel and DC is painfully bad, atm.

So I guess none. Unless you count something like Star Wars: Empire as a "team" book.

#15 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League

#16 Edited by The_Tree (7990 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been enjoying the Avengers a lot lately. It's got great art, Hickman's writing is excellent, and it's building up to be another high scale epic a la his Fantastic Four run.

#17 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@extremis

Indeed. In a sense, it's almost not a team book - just an assembly of the MU's leaders fighting on an epic scale.

I would slightly disagree on them not being a team. I don't think this is a comic book team in the sense that the others in this list are. Some of them are clearly closer to each other than others. Creating a core team of T'Challa, Stark, Black Bolt, Richards, and Doctor Strange. But with the whole AvX last year, there's bad blood between panther and namor. And CAP got taken out very quickly because he simply didn't belong. But yes, they are much more serious in getting things done, than actually caring about each other and being a team in that sense. If someone were to mess up, the team would act appropriately and address the person as well as that issue without a hint of bias or remorse, like the whole CAP scenario. So no, they are not a team in a sense of being best pals, and being extremely close as other teams may be. But they are an extremely effective team when it comes to working together, and accomplishing a goal. But hey, they might build a personal bond as time progresses. Its still very early in this series.

This book is very unique, I can't put it into words, but its very blunt, realistic, and simply without hope at all (I tried). I don't think i've ever read a comic book so successful in being so grimm using dialogue and text alone. Every time I read it its almost as if these guys know whats at stake, and aren't pretending to be hopeful because the odds are simply not in their favor. As how many scientists, physicist, etc. should think and behave. It is very realistic and when reading this, it impacts me more than any other comic book team series i've ever read.

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though it has some really bad moments also,New AVengers.

#19 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@veshark: @novi_homines:

Loooove New Avengers. It's moments like this that give this apocalyptic book its grandeur.

Perfectly stated. And I didn't even touch on the art in this book. Its breathtaking. I honestly don't know why it isn't more popular. Maybe it has something to do with the cast of characters.

#20 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines

I think we're arguing semantics at this point, but basically what I was trying to convey was that the Illuminati aren't a conventional superhero team. They don't team up together to have witty banter and fight super villains. These are essentially the most powerful men of the Marvel Universe, engineering the fate of the universe in secret. As New Avengers #2 puts it, "In secret, they rule". They work well because the world needs them to, but beyond that - the Illuminati relationship is strictly professional. They might have bonds outside of the group (Reed and Black Bolt, T'Challa and Stark), but when it comes to the Illuminati, it's all business - which is what I find so unique about this book.

I believe Jonathan Hickman himself said that they're not a team - but a group of egos, almost.

#21 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@novi_homines

I think we're arguing semantics at this point, but basically what I was trying to convey was that the Illuminati aren't a conventional superhero team. They don't team up together to have witty banter and fight super villains. These are essentially the most powerful men of the Marvel Universe, engineering the fate of the universe in secret. As New Avengers #2 puts it, "In secret, they rule". They work well because the world needs them to, but beyond that - the Illuminati relationship is strictly professional. They might have bonds outside of the group (Reed and Black Bolt, T'Challa and Stark), but when it comes to the Illuminati, it's all business - which is what I find so unique about this book.

I believe Jonathan Hickman himself said that they're not a team - but a group of egos, almost.

Oh I definitely agree with this. Maybe I wasn't clear. They definitely aren't a conventional superhero team, and they're certainly strictly professional. I simply added their ability to work together effectively as part of the definition of a "team". But we essentially agree on all terms.

#22 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by judasnixon (7252 posts) - - Show Bio

#25 Edited by sinestro_GL (3323 posts) - - Show Bio

From the above list, Justice League for sure.

Other teams I like include Justice League International, and Green Lantern Corps (if you can call them a team), but more specifically, the human Lantern team-up (Hal, Guy, John and Kyle)

#26 Posted by bob808 (6785 posts) - - Show Bio
Justice League Dark

#27 Posted by Girth (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite team books.

• All New X-men
  • Uncanny X-men
  • Justice League
  • Justice League of America
#28 Edited by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers (New, Non-Adjective)

Fantastic Four (Both)

I was reading Demon Knights before I had to drop it

I hate Bendis' Guardians

Uncanny X-Force

#29 Posted by TimeLordScience (1426 posts) - - Show Bio

FF

#30 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm highly interested in Guardians of the Galaxy so that one.

#31 Posted by Xwraith (21645 posts) - - Show Bio

I've said it before, but I'm waiting for this one: