#1 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

I couldn't help but notice that no archers I know of have any superpowers. Should they? If they did..what would be some good ones?

Obviously you don't want to overpower the archer, as otherwise why are they relying on a bow and arrow?

So this is a create a superhero..archer edition.

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

If I recall correctly, Ultimate Hawkeye has optic enhancements that allow him to aim better. Here are some other superpowers that come to mind as being useful for an archer:

• Chameleon eyes (If each eye operates independently and can go in separate directions, the archer can hit and keep track of multiple targets)
  • Eidetic memory (keep track of number of arrows, and also able to instantly recall which arrow does what for trick arrows)
  • Invisibility (Arrows have the benefit of being silent, so this could come in useful for hits)
  • Enhanced strength (A more powerful high-tech bow that's too heavy to be operated by normal humans could be used by a superhuman)
#3 Edited by AllStarSuperman (22963 posts) - - Show Bio

^this, enhanced speed would help to.

#4 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:
  • Chameleon eyes (If each eye operates independently and can go in separate directions, the archer can hit and keep track of multiple targets)
  • Eidetic memory (keep track of number of arrows, and also able to instantly recall which arrow does what for trick arrows)
  • Invisibility (Arrows have the benefit of being silent, so this could come in useful for hits)
  • Enhanced strength (A more powerful high-tech bow that's too heavy to be operated by normal humans could be used by a superhuman)

For an example of how powerful an archer with all these powers is, play Crysis 3! Where you can one shot a warrior breed of aliens who are light years ahead of humans technologically with A BOW AND ARROW. And for once, it's completely justified, due to the suit's powers and the bow modified for said powers use.

#5 Posted by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@veshark said:

For an example of how powerful an archer with all these powers is, play Crysis 3! Where you can one shot a warrior breed of aliens who are light years ahead of humans technologically with A BOW AND ARROW. And for once, it's completely justified, due to the suit's powers and the bow modified for said powers use.

I have got to play this game if you can kill highly advanced aliens with a bow and arrow. Sounds awesome!

#6 Posted by ArticulateT (189 posts) - - Show Bio

Manticore in City of Heroes was an Archer with the ability to teleport himself and objects, namely his arrows which he used to avoid hitting allies and getting very accurate shots (game-wise, the version of him that was in the end-game PvP area had a devastating attack that could never miss.) It helped with mobility a lot.

Manual quickness would be a good power, being able to rapidly aim and fire arrows Legolas-style, and telekenisis would help with accuracy.

#7 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7498 posts) - - Show Bio

wall crawling

super senses

maybe some minor telepathic/empathetic powers

enhanced strength (1-2 ton range) so they can use more powerful bows

super durability

#8 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

vision powers

enhanced physicality

mobility or camouflage powers (telport, invisible, camo, shapeshift, flight, etc...)

#9 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

Haki

points for anyone who knows what that is =D

#10 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

Haki

Lolz you'll be giving out a lot of points.

#11 Posted by dtschemmel (504 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprised nobody has said speed force.

#12 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

Haki

Which one? We talking Observation, Armament, or Conquerer's? I want to say Observation, but powering up ones arrows or briefly stunning your target on sight would also be useful skills for an archer.

Surprised nobody has said speed force.

Picture this: You nock an arrow, go into super speed perception mode, and let go of the bow string. In normal circumstances, this would cause the bow string to snap forward, projecting the arrow towards your target. But you're in super speed mode, from your point of view, neither the bow nor arrow are moving at all. They're just frozen there. You would have to manually maneuver the bow AROUND the arrow so as not to mess with it's trajectory. Very unwieldy for the purposes of an archer, see?

#13 Edited by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

In addition to those already said, an enchantment powers could be quite handy. Instead of needing a quiver full of trick arrows, the archer could have one type of arrow that can be enchanted with the different affects of most of the trick ones. This would save space in the quiver, avoid problems of taking the wrong arrow and be cheaper for the less well off archers.

#14 Edited by olbassey (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Archer would make a great Drunken Boxer. If Jackie Chan can do it, Archer sure as hell could. (Edit: Oops, I thought this was about the animated series "Archer")

#15 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (20217 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo: You should try ishida uryu from bleach. He has quite interesting powers.

#16 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6460 posts) - - Show Bio

Probability Manipulation

#18 Edited by russellmania77 (15806 posts) - - Show Bio

enhanced strength

wings

super vision

healing factor

#19 Edited by cbishop (7418 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the suggestions before my post would make cool enhancements to an archer, but the thing is: why do that?

In comics, the point of an archer is that the bow and arrows are his power - he/she is the best danged archer you've ever seen, and can stand shoulder to shoulder with supermen and galactic guardians. If they've got any superpower, why are they going to bother with the bow and arrows? More than likely, they're going to find a way to work that superpower to its fullest potential.

Now, you could go the Hitman route, and give him a few powers to go along with the weapon, but frankly, you've got to have a compelling character to make that work, or really compelling villains so that readers don't think about how lame your hero is. Hitman works with a few powers and guns. Hawkman with a mace is a little harder to make work, for some reason. If you gave Green Arrow the same telepathy and x-ray vision as Hitman, I don't think the character would be as interesting. It should still work, but for some reason, I just don't think that it would.

#20 Posted by RustyRoy (13839 posts) - - Show Bio

Enhanced Vision.

#21 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I know your idea is not to make your character some kind of demigod, but wings would work for some characters.

#22 Posted by blackwolf0925 (149 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really know, my idea of archers always seem to be rulers of the forest type of deal. Assassins of the forests who uses every bit of wit to take down their targets. Whether by traps, poison, or clever misdirection. My ideal archer would be one who either controls the elements or communicates with the wildlife.

#23 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

h2h

daredevil senses

stealth

average smart

THOR wise

other weaponary skills (sword, guns, sticks)

#24 Edited by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

light feet

invisibility

Enhanced physical abilities.

Slow Motion Vision

Ability to slow time.

#25 Posted by ssbm (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: i think only the last two are relevant the reason we have our eyes where they are and the are fixed is so we can accurately gauge distance if the work interdependently we lose that ability and most of the archers we have don't seem to ever have a problem remembering which arrow is which though that would make for an interesting issue at the very least green arrow mistakes his boxing glove arrow for his exploding one

#26 Edited by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssbm said:

most of the archers we have don't seem to ever have a problem remembering which arrow is which though that would make for an interesting issue at the very least green arrow mistakes his boxing glove arrow for his exploding one

Actually, Hawkeye has that problem in his current run: He keeps meaning to label his arrows, but gets interrupted by individuals of a disreputable sort. His movie version does it smarter: He has buttons on his bow he can hit to make his quiver change an arrowhead to the type he needs. That way, he just has to remember where the altered arrow IS, which is much easier than which arrow is which. If an individual had the eidetic memory thing, they wouldn't need the quiver-tech or a label.

#27 Posted by judasnixon (7176 posts) - - Show Bio

Never Missing......

#28 Posted by comicace3 (6584 posts) - - Show Bio
@veshark said:

If I recall correctly, Ultimate Hawkeye has optic enhancements that allow him to aim better. Here are some other superpowers that come to mind as being useful for an archer:

pretty much this with enhanced speed.

#29 Posted by dtm1980 (240 posts) - - Show Bio

I imagine the ability to think at an incredible speed - to in effect slow down time from their own perspective - and be able to control their heart rate would come in handy. And the instincts of a bird of prey or another predator would help them to naturally calculate their actions during the hunt and give them a sense of direction. Give an archer those and they won't need much else, I'd imagine

#30 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

The ability to see really far away/through walls. (The arrows could in turn go through said walls that are in the process of being seen through.) Maybe transfer their consciousness into the arrows, like see/hear/feel what it's going through. I guess that could just be done with recording devices/cameras, however.

I guess a camera is a recording device, actually... ;-/

#31 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

how about super human aiming skills