#1 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

So, my brother - A fan of Mike Mignola - has a birthday coming up soon. I would get him a few Hellboy books, but he just finished his collection a few days ago. So, I've been thinking about getting him a volume or two of Abe Sapient or Lobster Johnson. I've also heard about a book called Witchfinder that I think he might like.

Anyway, if a few of you wouldn't mind giving suggestions it would realty help me out.

His birthday only comes once a year so I'm willing to splurge.

Thanks for reading. :)

#2 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Mignola's got other non-Hellboy works if you wanna check them out. I heard Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment is pretty good.

Oh, and the Amazing Screw-on Head

#3 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: He's never been a huge fan of Dr. Strange, or Doom, but I'll look into that.

Also, the Amazing Screw-on head sounds fun. I bet he'll like it.

#4 Edited by mikex20 (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic Odyssey, The Amazing Screw-On Head, Rocket Raccoon, Gotham By Gaslight

#5 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikex20: I meant comics written by Mike Mignola, not just drawn. Sorry. I know I wasn't clear on that.

#7 Posted by Squares (8024 posts) - - Show Bio

Lobster Johnson is awesome, that's a good choice.

You can also find stuff like t-shirts and belt buckles with the BPRD logo on them (like here).

#8 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you considered getting him a Hellboy trade signed by Mignola himself?

#9 Posted by Middenway (1 posts) - - Show Bio

There's an original graphic novel coming out next week on Wednesday, Hellboy: The Midnight Circus. It's a hardcover, and only a short, 50-page story, but if he has Hellboy: House of the Living Dead, it's likely he won't be waiting to buy this one when it's eventually collected in a trade or library edition.

If he's a fan of Hellboy and doesn't have B.P.R.D. yet, then the hardcover B.P.R.D. Plague of Frogs omnibuses are definitely a great place to start. Otherwise, there's all the other series in the Hellboy Universe. There's about 40 trades of material there, and lately there's been a new trade every month, so you should be able to find something he doesn't have yet.

Beyond that, The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects, is an excellent book. Or if you want to introduce him to a new series, there's Baltimore. The novel is the best place to start, but it's made so that you can launch straight into the comics with no prior knowledge too.

#10 Posted by Billy Batson (58271 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll second the B.P.R.D. omnibuses, Amazing Screw-On Head and Baltimore.

BB

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Kidnap Mike Mignola and present him to your sibling as an offering of good will.

#12 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: hey, how about an art print of Mignola's work on Hellboy?

click here

not sure how much you're looking to spend but if its in the $150+ range you could even get him a Mignola sketch or nice litho or something like that.

#13 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8477 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: The thought did cross my mind to get him a signed trade, but I don't know what the chances are of it being faked. I don't want to get him something like that and it ending up not being the real deal, you know? It's just a little too risky for me.

Thanks anyway, though. I appreciate it. :)

#15 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: Yeah, unfortunately that's true. It really is a shame that you have to worry about people faking signatures...

#16 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8477 posts) - - Show Bio