What's the difference between Thanos and Darkseid?

• 100 results
SangriaMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A lot of people have been saying that DC can't do a Justice League movie featuring Darkseid because people will think he is a ripoff of Thanos who is going to be in Avengers 2. I don't know a lot about either characters but are they really so similar that it would be impossible for them to both exist in the movies? I know they look fairly similar, but is everything else about them so similar that they couldn't do a Darkseid movie?

General discussion of their similarities and differences, but more specifically why you think a Darkseid could or couldn't be the villain for a Justice League movie.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thanos is pretty much an exact rip off of Darkseid albeit a few slight differences. So the general audience would probably look at Darkseid as a rip off of Thanos if they see Thanos first.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

They have different names!

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

One is the greatest villain ever created, devised by a comic genius to be an evil so great that the character reached mythic proportions, in his universe. This is Darkseid, a character so superb in his nuances and intricacies that the writers who understand the character and have written him well can be counted on less than one hand. Most recently ruined by Geoff Johns in Justice League, the character has long been suffering from jobber-status largely due to Jeph Loeb, and before that, Dan Jurgens.

The other is Thanos, who is a Villain Sue rip off because Jim Starlin wishes he was Jack Kirby.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Their motivations are pretty dissimilar. Thanos is fascinated by death, in love with the literal personification of Death, and wants to offer all life on a silver platter to Death to prove his love. Granted, his motivations aren't always constant but that's a rough summary. Darkseid on the other hand doesn't want to end the universe, he wants to stomp it beneath his heel and force it to conform to his will. He sees things like love, life and liberty as precursors to chaos, and his way of bringing order to the chaos is to remove any independent will and give all living beings only one purpose: live, breathe, and die for Darkseid.

SangriaMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you think there is anyway they could do Darkseid and make sure he doesn't feel like a ripoff of Thanos for the averaged movie viewer? Their physical appearance, and power sets are pretty similar but I think those things could be fudged a little for the movie. As long as their story line, personality, and minions are different enough I think it could work.

Avatar image for anywhichwaybutup
AnyWhichWayButUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AnyWhichWayButUp

@sangriamuffin: I think they could, they just have to make their motives different. Anyways I thought Baron Zemo was going to play a big part in the next movie, they even placed him at the end just so it'd be Thanos?

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos began as a rip-off of Darkseid and Metron, but obviously the average moviegoer will have no idea. Both are great characters in my opinion. Would love to see Darkseid on the big screen.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

The other is Thanos, who is a Villain Sue rip off because Jim Starlin wishes he was Jack Kirby.

BUT THANOS WITH THE HEART OF THE UNIVERSE AND INFINITY GAUNTLET AND COSMIC CUBE KICKS DARKSEID'S BUTT BECAUSE HE IS THE MOST POWERFUL THING!!!!!

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kgb725

thanos may have been a rip off but him and darkseid are in the same class

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Darkseid is the original.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Thanos is obsessed with the idea to win Death's love and does everything for her.Everything that Thanos has ever done was done because he wants Death to love him.While Darkseid does everything because he wants to see everything beneath his heel.He wants to rule and see chaos everywhere.That's kinda the biggest difference.

Franchise1590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Darkseid was a pu$$ywhipped betamale, he'd be Thanos

That's the difference.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their motivations are pretty dissimilar. Thanos is fascinated by death, in love with the literal personification of Death, and wants to offer all life on a silver platter to Death to prove his love. Granted, his motivations aren't always constant but that's a rough summary. Darkseid on the other hand doesn't want to end the universe, he wants to stomp it beneath his heel and force it to conform to his will. He sees things like love, life and liberty as precursors to chaos, and his way of bringing order to the chaos is to remove any independent will and give all living beings only one purpose: live, breathe, and die for Darkseid.

I agree totally. Thanos may be a general ripoff, but I find him much more interesting. Darkseid motives are more cut and dry, nothing terribly deep, ambitious but meh. Thanos is a nihilist, in love with death. His random attempts at universal domination sort of seem to have different motives each time he takes a whack at it. He also has no problem reversing what he's doing if it seems to no longer make sense or it's getting detrimental or empty. Like he's figuring life out, albeit on a really big scale. Plus he seems to value intelligence more

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkseid is badass. COME AT ME, THANOS FANS!

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkseid is cool.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I care little for this Thanos fans vs Darsied fans bull crap. But to choose I say Thanos. I find it funny that people call him a mary sue when freakin Batman is the biggest sue with him knowing every little detail how to defeat everyone. But enough of that I always loved Thanos more for his simple motivation of love and willing to do anything to gain her love even if it means genocide on a universal scale. Despite his planning and cunning intellect Thanos has a character flaw to him I enjoy over all the big megalomaniac lords, doubt. He steps back to consider the large error he makes and becomes a temporary yet efficient force of good. He shows disconsolate over the teammate that died during Marvel's The End, and his openness of contempt while working with heroes in Infinity Watch. He's evil yes but much like Doom I'm a fan of Thanos for his multi facet character of treading his line of good and evil yet ultimately his constant goal is still to win Death's love.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18 JediXMan  Moderator

Darkseid is a sadist who wants to see people suffer as he conquers the universe.

Thanos is a masochist who is addicted to rejection.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

One is the greatest villain ever created, devised by a comic genius to be an evil so great that the character reached mythic proportions, in his universe. This is Darkseid, a character so superb in his nuances and intricacies that the writers who understand the character and have written him well can be counted on less than one hand. Most recently ruined by Geoff Johns in Justice League, the character has long been suffering from jobber-status largely due to Jeph Loeb, and before that, Dan Jurgens.

This.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The general audience will be confused, but Darkseid has had more representation thanks to JLU and Superfriends

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

One has an incoming movie and the other doesn't.

or...

One is cooler than the other.

I like Thanos better compared to DS. His more developed compared to DS. IMO his just being written better than DS. No offense to the fans.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane said:

I agree totally. Thanos may be a general ripoff, but I find him much more interesting. Darkseid motives are more cut and dry, nothing terribly deep, ambitious but meh. Thanos is a nihilist, in love with death. His random attempts at universal domination sort of seem to have different motives each time he takes a whack at it. He also has no problem reversing what he's doing if it seems to no longer make sense or it's getting detrimental or empty. Like he's figuring life out, albeit on a really big scale. Plus he seems to value intelligence more

^THIS

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanos is pink and Darkseid is grey.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos puts the pussy on the pedestal.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SilverPool
Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People will see similarities and non comics fans will say he is a ripoff, however this won't stop DC from doing it. Also the omega beams and lack of want for the infinity gems are a big difference. Darkseid being king of Apokolips is anothr big difference. So actually there should be enough to differentiate the two.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DBVSE7

Thanos may be a rip-off but he's more badass.

O-Beams are overrated.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another redundant "Darkseid is the original OG" here.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Prefer DC to marvel (like both) but I really dislike Darkseid whereas Thanos hasn't annoyed me yet. So if Darkseid doesn't get into a Justice league movie I wouldn't be upset.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Thor-Parker

Thanos is a better character.

Thanos is badass.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos is pink and Darkseid is grey.

Star_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One have the boring Omega Beam, the other have the amazing Pimp Slap that can defeat God itself

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos is a better character.

Thanos is badass.

Nope

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

one is highly overrated the other isn't

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Difference between Darkseid and Thanos

a) Darkseid chasing an equation whike Thanos chasing a jewellery

b) Darkseid don't have lame brother while Thanos have lame brother (cough cough Starfox)

c) Darkseid never become a farmer while Thanos have become a farmer

d) Darkseid never get rejected by lady while Thanos is get rejected by lady which he try to impress her (cough cough Death)

d) Darkseid never get beaten by Squirrel Girl but Thanos get beaten by Squirrel Girl

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@saren said:

^_^

Avatar image for theultimatetitan
TheUltimateTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember reading somewhere that Thanos was basically a mixture of Darkseid and Metron, as to the traditional equalism.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I care little for this Thanos fans vs Darsied fans bull crap. But to choose I say Thanos. I find it funny that people call him a mary sue when freakin Batman is the biggest sue with him knowing every little detail how to defeat everyone. But enough of that I always loved Thanos more for his simple motivation of love and willing to do anything to gain her love even if it means genocide on a universal scale. Despite his planning and cunning intellect Thanos has a character flaw to him I enjoy over all the big megalomaniac lords, doubt. He steps back to consider the large error he makes and becomes a temporary yet efficient force of good. He shows disconsolate over the teammate that died during Marvel's The End, and his openness of contempt while working with heroes in Infinity Watch. He's evil yes but much like Doom I'm a fan of Thanos for his multi facet character of treading his line of good and evil yet ultimately his constant goal is still to win Death's love.

This

Harriso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On one hand we have pimpin Thanos who is one of the greatest villians of all time, and on the other hand we have Darkseid, a non original run of the mill villian who is basically just dark superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-6137545428734
deactivated-6137545428734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Darkseid belongs to DC, created by Jack Kirby. Thanos belongs to Marvel, created by Jim Starlin.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Difference between Darkseid and Thanos

a) Darkseid chasing an equation whike Thanos chasing a jewellery

b) Darkseid don't have lame brother while Thanos have lame brother (cough cough Starfox)

c) Darkseid never become a farmer while Thanos have become a farmer

d) Darkseid never get rejected by lady while Thanos is get rejected by lady which he try to impress her (cough cough Death)

d) Darkseid never get beaten by Squirrel Girl but Thanos get beaten by Squirrel Girl

a) Thanos got his jewelry everytime he wanted, while Darkseid didn't

b) Darkseid has a son that travels with a flying scooter

c) You win this time.

d) While Thanos tries to win a lady's heart, Darkseid force them for slavery cause he is too ugly for anything else.

e) Darkseid didn't get beaten by Squirrel Girl but he got beaten by STAIRS.....

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cream_God

Thanos has a police record and Darkseid is terrible at trust falls

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the topic, while Darkseid is the cliche Evil guy with no depth just want evil stuff because he likes evil stuff. Thanos is one of the most unpredictable character because of his big depth and sophistication.

antimutant001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@sangriamuffin: Darkseid game first.The difference is that Thanos is a super Op alien, while Darkseid is a God of Evil.

antimutant001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By antimutant001

@marlboroman: .Your augments for Darkseid are funny.There are plenty of characters(pretty much all) in comics are in depth. You just never noticed or even cared.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By SoA
No Caption Provided