#1 Posted by SangriaMuffin (30 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people have been saying that DC can't do a Justice League movie featuring Darkseid because people will think he is a ripoff of Thanos who is going to be in Avengers 2. I don't know a lot about either characters but are they really so similar that it would be impossible for them to both exist in the movies? I know they look fairly similar, but is everything else about them so similar that they couldn't do a Darkseid movie?

General discussion of their similarities and differences, but more specifically why you think a Darkseid could or couldn't be the villain for a Justice League movie.

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (38932 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is pretty much an exact rip off of Darkseid albeit a few slight differences. So the general audience would probably look at Darkseid as a rip off of Thanos if they see Thanos first.

#3 Posted by Strider92 (16154 posts) - - Show Bio

They have different names!

#4 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

One is the greatest villain ever created, devised by a comic genius to be an evil so great that the character reached mythic proportions, in his universe. This is Darkseid, a character so superb in his nuances and intricacies that the writers who understand the character and have written him well can be counted on less than one hand. Most recently ruined by Geoff Johns in Justice League, the character has long been suffering from jobber-status largely due to Jeph Loeb, and before that, Dan Jurgens.

The other is Thanos, who is a Villain Sue rip off because Jim Starlin wishes he was Jack Kirby.

#5 Posted by Saren (25326 posts) - - Show Bio

Their motivations are pretty dissimilar. Thanos is fascinated by death, in love with the literal personification of Death, and wants to offer all life on a silver platter to Death to prove his love. Granted, his motivations aren't always constant but that's a rough summary. Darkseid on the other hand doesn't want to end the universe, he wants to stomp it beneath his heel and force it to conform to his will. He sees things like love, life and liberty as precursors to chaos, and his way of bringing order to the chaos is to remove any independent will and give all living beings only one purpose: live, breathe, and die for Darkseid.

#6 Posted by SangriaMuffin (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think there is anyway they could do Darkseid and make sure he doesn't feel like a ripoff of Thanos for the averaged movie viewer? Their physical appearance, and power sets are pretty similar but I think those things could be fudged a little for the movie. As long as their story line, personality, and minions are different enough I think it could work.

#7 Edited by AnyWhichWayButUp (760 posts) - - Show Bio

@sangriamuffin: I think they could, they just have to make their motives different. Anyways I thought Baron Zemo was going to play a big part in the next movie, they even placed him at the end just so it'd be Thanos?

#8 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos began as a rip-off of Darkseid and Metron, but obviously the average moviegoer will have no idea. Both are great characters in my opinion. Would love to see Darkseid on the big screen.

#9 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

The other is Thanos, who is a Villain Sue rip off because Jim Starlin wishes he was Jack Kirby.

BUT THANOS WITH THE HEART OF THE UNIVERSE AND INFINITY GAUNTLET AND COSMIC CUBE KICKS DARKSEID'S BUTT BECAUSE HE IS THE MOST POWERFUL THING!!!!!

#10 Edited by kgb725 (6030 posts) - - Show Bio

thanos may have been a rip off but him and darkseid are in the same class

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (81700 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid is the original.

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is obsessed with the idea to win Death's love and does everything for her.Everything that Thanos has ever done was done because he wants Death to love him.While Darkseid does everything because he wants to see everything beneath his heel.He wants to rule and see chaos everywhere.That's kinda the biggest difference.

#13 Posted by Franchise1590 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

If Darkseid was a pu$$ywhipped betamale, he'd be Thanos

That's the difference.

#14 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Their motivations are pretty dissimilar. Thanos is fascinated by death, in love with the literal personification of Death, and wants to offer all life on a silver platter to Death to prove his love. Granted, his motivations aren't always constant but that's a rough summary. Darkseid on the other hand doesn't want to end the universe, he wants to stomp it beneath his heel and force it to conform to his will. He sees things like love, life and liberty as precursors to chaos, and his way of bringing order to the chaos is to remove any independent will and give all living beings only one purpose: live, breathe, and die for Darkseid.

I agree totally. Thanos may be a general ripoff, but I find him much more interesting. Darkseid motives are more cut and dry, nothing terribly deep, ambitious but meh. Thanos is a nihilist, in love with death. His random attempts at universal domination sort of seem to have different motives each time he takes a whack at it. He also has no problem reversing what he's doing if it seems to no longer make sense or it's getting detrimental or empty. Like he's figuring life out, albeit on a really big scale. Plus he seems to value intelligence more

#15 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6154 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid is badass. COME AT ME, THANOS FANS!

#16 Posted by lilben42 (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid is cool.

#17 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I care little for this Thanos fans vs Darsied fans bull crap. But to choose I say Thanos. I find it funny that people call him a mary sue when freakin Batman is the biggest sue with him knowing every little detail how to defeat everyone. But enough of that I always loved Thanos more for his simple motivation of love and willing to do anything to gain her love even if it means genocide on a universal scale. Despite his planning and cunning intellect Thanos has a character flaw to him I enjoy over all the big megalomaniac lords, doubt. He steps back to consider the large error he makes and becomes a temporary yet efficient force of good. He shows disconsolate over the teammate that died during Marvel's The End, and his openness of contempt while working with heroes in Infinity Watch. He's evil yes but much like Doom I'm a fan of Thanos for his multi facet character of treading his line of good and evil yet ultimately his constant goal is still to win Death's love.

#18 Posted by JediXMan (29672 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid is a sadist who wants to see people suffer as he conquers the universe.

Thanos is a masochist who is addicted to rejection.

#19 Posted by ComicStooge (12051 posts) - - Show Bio

One is the greatest villain ever created, devised by a comic genius to be an evil so great that the character reached mythic proportions, in his universe. This is Darkseid, a character so superb in his nuances and intricacies that the writers who understand the character and have written him well can be counted on less than one hand. Most recently ruined by Geoff Johns in Justice League, the character has long been suffering from jobber-status largely due to Jeph Loeb, and before that, Dan Jurgens.

This.

#20 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

The general audience will be confused, but Darkseid has had more representation thanks to JLU and Superfriends

#21 Edited by The_Titan_Lord (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

One has an incoming movie and the other doesn't.

or...

One is cooler than the other.

I like Thanos better compared to DS. His more developed compared to DS. IMO his just being written better than DS. No offense to the fans.

#22 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5187 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

I agree totally. Thanos may be a general ripoff, but I find him much more interesting. Darkseid motives are more cut and dry, nothing terribly deep, ambitious but meh. Thanos is a nihilist, in love with death. His random attempts at universal domination sort of seem to have different motives each time he takes a whack at it. He also has no problem reversing what he's doing if it seems to no longer make sense or it's getting detrimental or empty. Like he's figuring life out, albeit on a really big scale. Plus he seems to value intelligence more

^THIS

#23 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Perethorn (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is pink and Darkseid is grey.