• 73 results
Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#51  Edited By Extremis

@colanicole: I think it's just people on here who grew up reading Flash when Wally was the speedster. Considering that wasn't that long ago, and most people on here are fairly young (teens and twenties), I'd say that's why.

I didn't grow up with Wally so I don't really care. I wish there was just one Flash. But they always got to fake kill people and then it becomes a cluster fu^& with legacy heroes.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I grew to like Wally because the JLU cartoons got me into comics, but once I actually started reading New 52 Flash; Booch and Manapul won me over to Barry's side. Barry is a true hero, I don't see why they couldn't co-exist.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By tigerkaya

I grew to like Wally because the JLU cartoons got me into comics, but once I actually started reading New 52 Flash; Booch and Manapul won me over to Barry's side. Barry is a true hero, I don't see why they couldn't co-exist.

Co-exist yeah right, unless the characters are from a Bat Family and Green Lantern there can be only one. Plus Barry's no true hero he's a sanctimonious hypocrite that deserves his punishment to returning to his final rest where he belongs.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

I like Wally because I grew up with him on the JL shows. But Barry is cool as well. I like them both. I don't see why one has to die for the other to be around.

This x1000

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MetalJimmor

@papinacho said:

Ideally yes, they could co-exist. But the problem with that is the Flash is not a Green Lantern, of which there are hundreds in the galaxy, or a Bat Family member of which each one can grow up into their own identity and adopt their own gadgets and tactics. The Flash comes with a fairly specific powerset. Superspeed, and is defined as being the fastest man alive.

Only one of them can be the fastest man alive. So you run into the problem of one Flash just being faster than the other, making the less fast Flash unnecessary and overshadowed by the other. This set up works for the Super Family, Superman is the top and the others, Supergirl, Powergirl, and Superboy, have the same or similar powerset but are less powerful than Superman himself. Supergirl and Powergirl are ladies, so they automatically have an aspect that separates them from Superman and gives them their own identities. Superboy has a slightly different powerset than Superman and a different backstory, so he has his own identity.

Barry and Wally co-existing as Flashes don't have much to separate them, especially with Barry adopting more of Wally's personality to make him stand out as a character. You end up with two equally fast Flashes with different hair colors and one having a slightly more laid back and whimsical personality than the other, or you have one completely outstrip the other in speed making fans of the slower Flash unhappy.

Wally can certainly show up as Kid Flash, but if he ever tried to branch out and become a hero on his own he'd end up as just a weaker, more watered down barry Allen.

That is why the fans fight. Barry fans want Barry to be the Flash and Wally fans want Wally to be the Flash. But if they co-exist, one of them has to give up being the Flash, and either get a new name and become the weaker of the two, or one has to die or retire leaving only one Flash again.

So I guess to sum it up... THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tigerkaya: Barry single handily saved the Silver Age of comics.

He was an inspiration to Wally and his actions as the Flash made Wally start up his own fan club, Wally was obsessed.

Without Barry there is no Wally, he is the mentor, he taught Wally how to be a hero & how to use his powers. He is one of the father figures in the Flash family, alongside Jay.

Barry embraces the scientific side of the Flash abilities, he uses his knowledge of chemistry and physics to use his powers smarter, not harder. A lot of what Wally knew was because of Barry. He doesn't run into problems head first, he thinks about them, analyzes them.

He's a fantastic friend & is willing to listen to anyone and everyone if they're having problems, and then he'll try & loosen people up with some sort of corny joke or dorky comment. Barry was there during the hardest times in Wally's life and helped him get through each one, he's a shoulder to lean on.

The guy was dead for 23 years, it's difficult to find good stories with Barry when all you've got to go off of are anything in the Silver Age & then whatever he's done after Rebirth, if you dislike Silver Age stories then you're most definitely not going to like Barry. Heck, it's about time Barry got to have the spotlight.

I mean, if you still dislike him I understand but to just toss him in the garbage and call him a "sanctimonious hypocrite" is a bit.... harsh. Without Barry there is no Wally, show some respect to the 2nd Flash.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:

As for what's wrong with Barry: There is a REASON why upon his return, he was noted as behaving more like Wally and Bart. He just wasn't as interesting as they were. Hell, why do you think in the recent Justice League animated movies, the Flash may be called Barry Allen, but he talks and quips like Wally?

Oh MY GOD

THIS!

When I watched the new Justice League animated movies, I thought that Flash was Wally West. Then, I see them calling him Barry, having blonde hair, and I'm like WHAT the FFFFFffrfrfrfrfrfrffrrrrrfrfrfrff ROCK man? That's how Wally acts not Barry.

and @tigerkaya

I find it funny when people quote JLU Wally as how Wally always acts. In the show they took Bart's personality and Barry's backstory, villains, occupation, and city and gave it to Wally. So there's nothing wrong when they try to pull something like that in the movies. Also, if you payed attention during Justice League Doom, you could see that the Flash here (even with his quips) was a considerably smarter and more analytical Flash than the one in JLU. Even Michael Rosenbaum mentioned that in an interview:

Loading Video...

And that's exactly how Barry should be portrayed. A guy who is smart but has a sense of humor and is down-to-earth. He's not like Superman or Batman where he has to be serious all the time. He's a normal guy who accidentally got struck by a bolt of lightning and now has these amazing powers. Even in the New 52, they portray him in this light.

So please don't jump to conclusions and claim Barry is taking from Wally's personality.

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wally is the flash I grew up with.

But he can't be Flash now. So.....Impluse?

I vote Impluse. And a sleek new costume.

And a team book with Dick & Donna please :)

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally took the Flash mantle for Barry's legacy to live on in post-COIE. Barry was always mentioned as a reference for Wally's depiction as his mentor and motivation for who he is. Wally has better character development, been around longer post-crisis and more identifiable, since he's been the main Flash for decades before Barry's return. Wally was and will always be my Flash.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm not really buying the whole "he was Flash for 20 years and people grew up with him and not Barry" crap. I'm 17 and MUCH prefer Barry Allen over Wally West any day of the week!

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

barry over wally anytime. barry is a smarter character and a different speedster he is more of a thinker and analyser, wally in j.l.u jumps into action before thimking just like in secret origin. but i like him as a jokster

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#62  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By fodigg

Wally West is the definitive Flash to many readers, with Barry Allen simply being a part of his origin story. That's the status quo we grew up reading. Also, he's simply far more entertaining than Barry unless Barry is being written to be more like Wally (e.g., DC: The New Frontier).

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wally was the greatest example of legacy. all the way from his starts as flash his story has been interesting and entertaining. unlike barry wally had flaws. his powers came at a price, he was a bit selfish, he was lazy, and he kept holding himself back because he didnt want anyone to surpass barry. wally eventually grew into one of the greatest heroes and we got to see every step of his journey. now i like new 52 barry but pre 52 i thought he was dull and boring. so i cant wait for wallys return in april

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wally was the greatest example of legacy. all the way from his starts as flash his story has been interesting and entertaining. unlike barry wally had flaws. his powers came at a price, he was a bit selfish, he was lazy, and he kept holding himself back because he didnt want anyone to surpass barry. wally eventually grew into one of the greatest heroes and we got to see every step of his journey. now i like new 52 barry but pre 52 i thought he was dull and boring. so i cant wait for wallys return in april

This post makes want to re-read Wally's run in The Return of Barry Allen.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: I'm actually a fan of the Silver age my favorites being so far Thor and Fantastic Four. As to Barry I tolerated him at first but found him overrated. His personality made him to Superman for me that and that awful my parents were killed that motivated him to being a cop seemed contrived and force just make him like Batman. But than I started hating him more in the epilogue of Cry for Justice he was berating Arrow for killing Pronethues even thoughAroow defended him when he kills Zoom making me find Allen to be a total sanctimonious hypocrite. What really made me hate further was when he created Flashpoint and the New52 making me hate him even further. He alters everything out of selfishness and no punishes him for it. So yes I do hope he goes back to being dead so we can all remember him for being the hero that sacrificed himself to inspire others.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya: You're kidding right?

You're actually blaming Barry Allen for the New 52, you're hating a character because DC decided to reboot their Universe?

Also, Barry's parent's weren't actually killed in his original origin story, that was the new Origin story created for him during Rebirth, if you actually remember Barry's parents are both present during the Trial of the Flash.

Barry berating Oliver during Cry for Justice is probably just incredibly poor writing.

He's one of the most unselfish heroes I've ever seen, he sacrificed his life to save the Multiverse, he came back to help Wally during the hardest times of his life, and he always works to make sure that everyone is okay in the end.

Anyways, I guess it's your opinion and I'll let you continue hating Barry because DC decided to reboot their Universe & give him a new Origin Story.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Like many others, I grew up with Wally West so I'll always be biased towards him, but that doesn't stop me from loving Barry as well. And since Wally is going to be Blue in the New 52, perhaps this means he might get his own superhero identity (in other words he could become the Flash's Nightwing).

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

He was my favorite member of the Teen Titans and his Kid Flash costume is one of the best in the history of comics but beyond that I don't see it.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By tigerkaya

So for Barry fans how would you like Wally to die and for Wally fans how would you like to see Barry die?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So for Barry fans how would you like Wally to die and for Wally fans how would you like to see Barry die?

Barry doesn't have to die, he just has to be absorbed permanently into the speed force and never, ever return. That's all.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: Great idea Barry always did suit the role of ghostly mentor far better than hero or husband.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a flash fan, and someone who actually grew up with his parents comics starring Barry as Flash and Wally as KF, I actually do like Wally significantly more than Barry. He's more interesting and personable, and I just outright like that character better.

I love the n52 Flash run, and I do think Barry is an awesome character, but I also like Wally quite a bit. I am, however, totally nostalgic for the Justice League TV show, so that's likely skewing my viewpoint.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't like to see either of the Speedsters die.

Being a fan of the Flash means that I enjoy the entire Flash Family.

• Jay
  • Barry
  • Wally
  • Bart

They're all great and nobody has to die.