• 72 results
#1 Posted by ColaNicole (592 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a serious question btw, and not hating. I've seen the news and obviously people want him back but why is liked so much? What's wrong with Barry? Also, if he's as powerful as he was before, isn't it gonna be a bit...boring?

#2 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

@colanicole: He doesnt exist currently unless im missing something. So he may not be as powerful when he returns

#3 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

C'mon man,really? The big deal is that he's a character people grew up. He was the flash for 20+ years and people have an emotional connnection to him. Nothing is wrong with Barry, but both characters have fans. Power levels don't have anything to do with a good character, and plenty of people told good Wally stories before, so why would he be boring now?

#4 Posted by Lvenger (20234 posts) - - Show Bio

C'mon man,really? The big deal is that he's a character people grew up. He was the flash for 20+ years and people have an emotional connnection to him. Nothing is wrong with Barry, but both characters have fans. Power levels don't have anything to do with a good character, and plenty of people told good Wally stories before, so why would he be boring now?

This x100%.

#5 Edited by youknowwhattodo (1231 posts) - - Show Bio

There's nothing wrong with Barry but there are many people out there that believe that Wally West is the superior version of the Flash compared to Barry, not just in terms of power, but also in terms of character development.

Also, let's not forget that Wally West was the Flash in the JL animated series, and there are a LOT of people that are very nostalgic to the show and sees the main team in that series as the definitive Justice League (ala Stewart as Lantern, no Aquaman etc).

#6 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a serious question btw, and not hating. I've seen the news and obviously people want him back but why is liked so much? What's wrong with Barry? Also, if he's as powerful as he was before, isn't it gonna be a bit...boring?

Oh, thank goodness. I've been reading the Wally West era of the Flash comics and was just WAITING for someone to give me an opportunity to post this. From the mouth of Wally West himself, I bring you:

As for what's wrong with Barry: There is a REASON why upon his return, he was noted as behaving more like Wally and Bart. He just wasn't as interesting as they were. Hell, why do you think in the recent Justice League animated movies, the Flash may be called Barry Allen, but he talks and quips like Wally?

#7 Edited by ColaNicole (592 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose I never really thought about the fact he was around for a long time. Also, I wasn't suggesting it was going to be boring, but I don't know how you can write a good story for a character that practically stomps everyone in the battle forums.

#8 Posted by ColaNicole (592 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually really like Barry.

To each their own, but from what I've read of the New 52, and pre-Flashpoint Barry, and from what I'm reading of Wally, Wally seems a lot more interesting. And entertaining. To me.

#10 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@colanicole: People told good wally stories for 20+ years like I said. You could always try reading one

#11 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11738 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@peppeyhare said:

This x100%.

These.

@jonsmith said:

Oh, thank goodness. I've been reading the Wally West era of the Flash comics and was just WAITING for someone to give me an opportunity to post this. From the mouth of Wally West himself, I bring you:

As for what's wrong with Barry: There is a REASON why upon his return, he was noted as behaving more like Wally and Bart. He just wasn't as interesting as they were. Hell, why do you think in the recent Justice League animated movies, the Flash may be called Barry Allen, but he talks and quips like Wally?

Justice League: Doom was Barry Allen but they wrote him AND voiced him as if it was Wally -- perfect example for your post :P

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally is loved so much because he is the Flash most people grew with.He's fun,interesting and a great character as a whole and also he was the one that was in the Justice League animated show.People have a stronger connection to him.Barry also has his fans and Wally has his own.No one is getting left behind or being forgotten.

#13 Edited by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

Same thing with Barry what's so great about him. Hell his personality is so boring they needed to give him Wally and Bart's personality in humor. That's pretty sad, DC should have left Barry to his noble death he is what Captain Marvel is to Marvel, remembered for dying. That's it.

#14 Edited by Catsnlynne (1034 posts) - - Show Bio

I read some old Flash comic books (before the New 52) and Wally was Kid Flash and I thought he was so boring. Also I watched Justice League Unlimited on Netflix and I thought adult Wally didn't take being part of the JLA seriously without all his wisecracks and joking around. Barry is the Flash that I stand behind.

#15 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

So it's settled Wally fans wish Barry dead and Barry fans wish Wally dead. Seems legit and reasonable.

#16 Posted by Cloakx14 (3228 posts) - - Show Bio

i grew up watching wally west on the justice league show, plus he's funny. barry is too boring for me.

#17 Posted by Catsnlynne (1034 posts) - - Show Bio

So it's settled Wally fans wish Barry dead and Barry fans wish Wally dead. Seems legit and reasonable.

That's the conclusion I came too also.

#18 Edited by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@catsnlynne: Wonderful glad were all in agreement. Let the flame wars begin!

#19 Edited by GeekyEverAfter (346 posts) - - Show Bio

When it comes to the DCAU I'm a Wally guy, but when it comes to comics I'm a Barry guy :P

#20 Posted by frogdog (3252 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally actually had character development in 20 years

#21 Posted by MaccyD (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

It's bad that people are more happy about Wally returning than a stable creative roster for the Flash title...

#22 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

I do hope DC kills off Barry for his crimes.

#23 Edited by MarcosVergara14 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

I do hope DC kills off Barry for his crimes.

People like you disappoint me

#24 Edited by MarcosVergara14 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

It's bad that people are more happy about Wally returning than a stable creative roster for the Flash title...

Have you read the Wally West come back article?

There are a lot of persons who are gonna start to read the Flash beacuse of Wally and didn´t give a chance to Barry, and missed Manapul and Brucellato amazing work.

It annoys me, i´m really sure that if Wally don´t recive a principal role on the series his fans are gonna push until he do.

If that happens i´m done with DC beacuse Barry is my favourite Flash by far.

#25 Edited by MaccyD (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

@marcosvergara14: It's ironic really, comic fans rant about the use of gimmicks in the industry but yet fall for them every time. Sometimes they even cause the gimmicks, in the first place.

#26 Posted by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally's fun, watch him animation he lights up the screen whether he's Kid Flash or The Flash. Barry's the straight man Flash, he gets things done. I love them both equally. It's just the legacy of The Flash title, a bit like the Green Lantern title, somebody loves Hal, hates Hal, love John, Hates John etc.

#27 Edited by MarcosVergara14 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

@marcosvergara14: It's ironic really, comic fans rant about the use of gimmicks in the industry but yet fall for them every time. Sometimes they even cause the gimmicks, in the first place.

You are absolutely correct i would have welcome Wally in issue #50 (o much later) but it´s really clear they brig him now to try to rise Barry sales (who sold 40,000 copies per month)

#28 Edited by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@marcosvergara14: And people like you disappoint me for not letting go of Allen. He had a glorious death that was remembered fondly and it was ruined for his crimes of creating Flashpoint and The New52.

On top of that Barry's a fricken hypocrite for being an asshole to Green Arrow for killing Prometheus. Thinks he can all act sanctimonious after killing Zoom and Arrow. defended him for that murder. Barry's the definition of douche.

#29 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

There isn't a big deal about him. Like, at all.

#30 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

Barry Allen!!!

#31 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@marcosvergara14: So you're annoyed that Wally fans wouldn't give a Barry Allen book a chance, but you (a Barry Allen fan) won't give a Wally book a chance. Makes sense

#32 Posted by MarcosVergara14 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: You are the definition of douche. You don't seem to understand that theres people who likes Barry (if you look at the sales 40,000 monthly) by his pesonality and who he is, and likes having him back as the Flash. If Wally were the one that have make the Flashpoint happend all the hate that you are giving surely would be on him. You seem to forget that was Barry who raised Wally and withou him Wally wouldn´t as his fans call hi "The gratest Flash of all". So if you don´t like him don read the Flash and put your hate on other character

#34 Posted by MarcosVergara14 (451 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by MarcosVergara14 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare said:

@marcosvergara14: So you're annoyed that Wally fans wouldn't give a Barry Allen book a chance, but you (a Barry Allen fan) won't give a Wally book a chance. Makes sense

I would give Wally a chance with any other identity like Blue Flash, Cobalt Blue, Hot persuit or whatever he is gonna be now but in a diferent book (like they did with nightwing or arsenal) as long as Barry isn´t pushed aside to put Wally back as the Flash after only 30 issues. For me more Flashfam books are better thats the pricipal reason i started reading earth 2

#36 Posted by RetconCrisis (3935 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, Barry was the original wise-cracker. It's just that when Wally came along, he was a wise-cracker but was a bit more goofy and likeable. Also, Barry's run before his death was a really long time ago (30+ years), and most people who read comics now had been doing it during Wally's run. Also, the Justice League and JL Unlimited show made him even more clueless and likeable.

#37 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4808 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

Oh MY GOD

THIS!

When I watched the new Justice League animated movies, I thought that Flash was Wally West. Then, I see them calling him Barry, having blonde hair, and I'm like WHAT the FFFFFffrfrfrfrfrfrffrrrrrfrfrfrff ROCK man? That's how Wally acts not Barry.

Also

Rey Reynolds was acting like Kyle Rayner and not Hal Jordan in my honest opinion.

Wally West > Barry Allen (but I have grown to love the simplistic calm fellow he is instead of the charismatic speedster.)

Kyle Rayner and/or Jon Stewart > Hal Jordan.

(+)

#38 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6350 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk. I prefer Barry.

#39 Posted by Al_capOWN (534 posts) - - Show Bio

wait wtf, wait a minute, you means theres 2 flash's, da f4*k???

This whole time I thought flash was flash.

#40 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: You are the definition of douche. You don't seem to understand that theres people who likes Barry (if you look at the sales 40,000 monthly) by his pesonality and who he is, and likes having him back as the Flash. If Wally were the one that have make the Flashpoint happend all the hate that you are giving surely would be on him. You seem to forget that was Barry who raised Wally and withou him Wally wouldn´t as his fans call hi "The gratest Flash of all". So if you don´t like him don read the Flash and put your hate on other character

Thank you for the insult gives me a better impression of Allen fans in general. Barry's only contribution was his sacrifice and through that sacrifice inspired many others to strive for something greater. His resurrection ruined it with his sanctimonious BS on Arrow and his irresponsibility for screwing over the timelines giving us pointless turtle neck and costumes trying to hard to look like armor.

#41 Posted by MarcosVergara14 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya I’m going to stop talking to you

#42 Posted by JulieDC (976 posts) - - Show Bio

Thankfully, I'm one of those people that likes both Barry and Wally and can read stories with either one of them as the Flash (although I can't stand reading Flash between the 1950s and 1980s). But I imagine some of the excitement has more to do with the idea that if Wally is coming back, that DC may actually be fixing the problems that people have been experiencing with New 52 and so he is a sign of hope for some people that their favorites will return.

#43 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

Oh MY GOD

THIS!

When I watched the new Justice League animated movies, I thought that Flash was Wally West. Then, I see them calling him Barry, having blonde hair, and I'm like WHAT the FFFFFffrfrfrfrfrfrffrrrrrfrfrfrff ROCK man? That's how Wally acts not Barry.

Also

Rey Reynolds was acting like Kyle Rayner and not Hal Jordan in my honest opinion.

Wally West > Barry Allen (but I have grown to love the simplistic calm fellow he is instead of the charismatic speedster.)

Kyle Rayner and/or Jon Stewart > Hal Jordan.

(+)

I know even in Young Justice they have no idea how to give Barry a distinct personality that they have rely on using Wally's personality. Its because of this I ask whats the point of Barry being relevant if DC is unable to give him a personality that isn't a human version of Superman in morales.

#44 Edited by JulieDC (976 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: From my perspective, the relevance of Barry at least prior to the reboot was that he was Wally's mentor and helped build a foundation for Wally and the Flash family as a whole. For me, Wally just isn't Wally without his connection to Barry. I remember reading a Flash comic where Wally and Dick talked about the different kind of relations they had with their mentors. So I do think Barry is important and needs to be established if they are ever going to make Wally the Flash again in the future. But I do agree that trying to give him a personality of his own has been a struggle. But I'm not complaining, I still like both of them and hope that DC doesn't screw up Wally like they did Bart.

#45 Posted by SOG7dc (7321 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Wally because I grew up with him on the JL shows. But Barry is cool as well. I like them both. I don't see why one has to die for the other to be around.

#46 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (5312 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally is loved because Barry Allen was absent from comics from 1985 - 2008 ( I think )

The only real "Barry Stories" are mostly Silver Age which is what I'd consider to be an accquired taste, some people love it, some people hate it.

It's been difficult to give him his old methodical & calculated ways in the New 52, he had been slightly impulsive & joked a lot, but Barry was a joker himself, he and Hal always took digs at each other when they'd hang out.

Anyways, Wally will return and hopefully the two can work together in the spotlight, not rule the other out.

#47 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4808 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: "that isn't a human version of Superman in morals."

I've always viewed Barry Allen as being more calmer and definitely more timid than Superman. However, when Superman is Clark Kent, his demeanor does match Barry Allen. But, I view Superman's Clark Kent identity to be mostly a act. He acts more timid, awkward, and polite than he normally would so that people won't ever think he's Superman. Thus, why he wears glasses and hunches.

I think they can make Allen and Supe's different enough to not be exactly identical when it comes to their personalities. I just think most writers prefer to make Flash the flamboyant speedster so... they should use West not Allen.

(+)

#48 Posted by JediXMan (30706 posts) - - Show Bio

This.

#49 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

wait wtf, wait a minute, you means theres 2 flash's, da f4*k???

This whole time I thought flash was flash.

There has been four. The first was Jay Garnick he was Flash of the golden age of comics then come Barry Allen the flash of the Silver and bronze age comics then come Wally West for the modern age (earlier been the kid flash). Bart Allen (grandson of Barry Allen) became the Kid Flash under Wally West and became the flash for a short period of time before it was given back to Barry Allen.

#50 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

So what exactly does make Barry great aside from being the next generation of heroes coming from the Golden age. To me his personality is almost identical to Superman or Clark, he killed Zoom, went to court, retired to the future than sacrificed himself in a heroic manner befitting a heroes death. Only Wally, Jay and Bart were the real interesting people to carry on the Flash legacy. To me Barry was better off dying the noble death.