#1 Posted by blackdemon (1199 posts) - - Show Bio

You know how, in Family Guy, Peter Griffin has that short stay on the news with "What Really Grinds My Gears"? Well, because it's so hilarious and fun to watch, and because I feel I'll make a brand new kind of thread(at least I think it's brand new), I'm gonna make a thread in which, after I say what grinds my gears about comics, anyone who replies can state what grinds their gears about comics to their heart's content. Anyhow, let's begin. When it comes to comics, you know what really grinds my gears? The fact that Marvel has not already shut down, with all the bullshit they've pulled, Marvel's continuity butchered beyond recovery and their sales tanking like they are, and how DC just couldn't face the fact their company would shut down, so they took the easy way out and performed that cowardly reboot, all to escape the fact that their sales were at an all time low and it was their fault for pulling so much crap. Pathetic. Beneath contempt. Not to mention that there are some people on some comic book sites who just can't seem to pull their heads out of their asses, or who say or do stuff which makes you just want to call them the worst of offensive words in the nastiest possible tone of voice. Especially if what they do or say suggests hypocrisy, fanboyism and/or stupidity. And that, fellow Comicvine posters, is what grinds my gears. So, what is it about comics that really grinds YOUR gears? Have fun, all!

#2 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

What grinds my gears, is that comics are still failing to adapt to the changing trends of the world, and while first steps like digital comics are taken, monthlies still exist. I think in order to establish a successful selling product with quality and freedom, trades should be marketed as the premier product.

Another thing, is how they don't ADVERTISE! COME ON! You're a part of Disney and Time Warner, and you aren't advertising? What is wrong with them? Put some ads in TIME, or in movies...come on, get the word out!

#3 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio

The fans.

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5672 posts) - - Show Bio

What grinds my gears about comics is how they fail to follow continuity anymore, especially when it deals with the histories of the characters and they don't seem to try and bring in the characters' past histories to tell newer stories.  Also, I'm starting to get tired of Marvel always posting up a new event every month or so without finishing the last event and then once the event is over, everything just goes back to normal without any mention of the event that took place.

#5 Edited by blackdemon (1199 posts) - - Show Bio

To continue this thread, you know what else grinds my gears? Some of the people on Comic Book Resources. Not all by any means, but a few. For instance, Brian M has lots of contempt for almost all of the X-Books board, which he's mainly part of, but he not only is one of those jerks who "sees what he wants to see" and thinks everything is disgusting(right down to considering a piece of Lion King fanart a "sexual image" which looks like "animal orgy", and saying that it's considered one on the X-Books, when no one else thinks of it that way), but he doesn't care about anyone but himself, and if he doesn't like something, he acts like no one should. Plus, he's been banned for being a jerk to people, and doesn't learn from it. Plus, he's a coward and a moron, despite his undesirably attitude, and frankly is as pathetic as he is stupid and annoying. Then there's the likes of Valeria Kementari and Swashbuckler on those same X-Books, the former of whom is sarcastic a lot and appears to like to look for excuses to insult and/or explode at people, and who, very ironically, has moments where she doesn't pay attention, and the latter of whom, along with whining at one point because he didn't like someone's idea(along with Valeria Kementari, who said she'd have a heart attack if that particular thread wasn't closed)said that he was to be contacted through PM or Dirty Deeds with Feral before a thread was made about her, just because he didn't think the poll options were good choices on one thread, and he found them "offensive and lacking in actual material. These guys, along with some others, like to tell people what to do and act like they own the site, the fucking douchebags. If they don't like it, no one gets to. Even when everyone else likes the thread, they do something to insult it or say it's disgusting or anything similar. Is it that hard to just not post on a thread if you don't like it and see that not everyone feels the same way you do? Or do you just not know how to pull your heads out of your asses? Or maybe you don't have two fucking brain cells to rub together? And then there's some other guys, like Bronze Badger, who think they're better than everyone else and like to insult and be a jerk to people, and when you call them out on it, they throw a bitchfit. And then there's how there are some on CBR, and even on other comic sites, who, when you make your threads, either tell you to stop making them because they wish they were half as creative as you were, or instead of replying like you expect, choose to bitch about stuff which has no relevance to your thread topic or the main idea. Now, there are also a great many good, likable, cool people on CBR as well, but the above jerks I talked about just make it hard to enjoy the site. And that, fellow posters, is what grinds my gears. Anyone want to add to this thread, feel free to do so and be my guest.

#6 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanary said:

What grinds my gears, is that comics are still failing to adapt to the changing trends of the world, and while first steps like digital comics are taken, monthlies still exist. I think in order to establish a successful selling product with quality and freedom, trades should be marketed as the premier product.

Another thing, is how they don't ADVERTISE! COME ON! You're a part of Disney and Time Warner, and you aren't advertising? What is wrong with them? Put some ads in TIME, or in movies...come on, get the word out!

That's as much as they can do.

#7 Edited by blackdemon (1199 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'know, while anyone can post on this thread as they please, and enjoy it like they want, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to put in this one last post and then be done with posting on Comicvine for good. Simply 'cause I'm fresh outta any new ideas at all in the worst way. It was fun while it lasted, though, and I thank everyone who ever praised and complimented me and/or participated in my threads and was encouraging to me while I posted on this site. But still, as long as I'm logging off for good and from now on doing no more than just viewing the sight as a logged off member, and thus no longer a poster, let me tell y'all something. When it comes to comics, you know what REALLY grinds my gears? YOU, any and all sycophant lowlifes out there who support, encourage and praise the incompetent, unlikable, obnoxious, selfish, scumbag creators of Marvel Comics and DC Comics alike and their continuing character and continuity ruining deeds, as well as their endless true Marvel and DC fan angering/disrespecting antics! blankYOU!

#8 Posted by _Cain_ (23368 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob Liefeld/Greg Land/Joe Quesada still having careers.

#9 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

What grinds my gears? Well, I think that we as fans can take ourselves a little too seriously. Its okay to criticize, it's okay to have legitimate complaints and air them out, but sometimes we get caught up in flame wars and blogging instead of trying to find things we do like.

#10 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

@GundamHeavyarms said:

What grinds my gears? Well, I think that we as fans can take ourselves a little too seriously. Its okay to criticize, it's okay to have legitimate complaints and air them out, but sometimes we get caught up in flame wars and blogging instead of trying to find things we do like.

#11 Posted by inferiorego (20566 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

This... and I also hate the "all or nothing" attitude fans have. It's either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Staff
#12 Posted by cattlebattle (12271 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

This... and I also hate the "all or nothing" attitude fans have. It's either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Really? I find a lot of fans say "meh"....as if they're hard to impress, or at least they want you to think they are
#13 Posted by Billy Batson (56840 posts) - - Show Bio

The fans.
BB

#14 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Exactly

Civil War still gets so much gripe to this day.

#15 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil: And one more day, I got over that years ago.

#16 Posted by inferiorego (20566 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Exactly

Sometimes, I feel like I'm the only person that genuinely loves that event.

Staff
#17 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5672 posts) - - Show Bio
@GundamHeavyarms said:

I actually do agree with this. I don't see too many blogs saying what are their favorite stories of the franchise. I actually have a blog that listed my Best Moments in Joss Whedon's Run of "Astonishing X-Men." Feel free to check it out!
#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Exactly

Civil War was personally one of my favourite events from Marvel and I never understood why people disliked it so much. Same goes for Blackest Night on the DC front.

Honestly though, it has to be how criticizing some fans can be. Just sit back, relax and enjoy some of the amazing art and creative stories we get.

#19 Posted by Daycrawler (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackdemon said:

Y'know, while anyone can post on this thread as they please, and enjoy it like they want, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to put in this one last post and then be done with posting on Comicvine for good. Simply 'cause I'm fresh outta any new ideas at all in the worst way. It was fun while it lasted, though, and I thank everyone who ever praised and complimented me and/or participated in my threads and was encouraging to me while I posted on this site. But still, as long as I'm logging off for good and from now on doing no more than just viewing the sight as a logged off member, and thus no longer a poster, let me tell y'all something. When it comes to comics, you know what REALLY grinds my gears? YOU, any and all sycophant lowlifes out there who support, encourage and praise the incompetent, unlikable, obnoxious, selfish, scumbag creators of Marvel Comics and DC Comics alike and their continuing character and continuity ruining deeds, as well as their endless true Marvel and DC fan angering/disrespecting antics! blankYOU!

GGRRRRAAAAARRRR!!!!!! blackdemon smash puny comic fans!!! Bah, me no like opinions!! Me be angry voyeur now!!!

#20 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Exactly

I love it, read it May of last year around the last few months of school (we get out in June), and around IGN came out with the Top 100 Super Heroes and loved it.

#21 Posted by Superguy0009e (2258 posts) - - Show Bio

price, i hate that it can get expensive to keep up with series that you like if price gets in the way

#22 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Exactly

Nope I loved it too. Maybe the concept more than the execution, but it wasn't horrible and it created some of my all time favorite Captain America moments ever.

#23 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

@Soulstealer said:

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Exactly

Nope I loved it too. Maybe the concept more than the execution, but it wasn't horrible and it created some of my all time favorite Captain America moments ever.

The concept is just interesting, I honestly wouldn't care if Civil War is redone.

The whole supers vs supers vs. government has always interested me

#24 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what grinds my gears? The way some characters are built up like they're the next "greatest thing ever", only to have them die, or have them rarely used/seen from again, or just be a complete waste of space.

• Sentry
  • Brother Voodoo
  • Ares
  • Noh-Varr
  • Jessica Jones
  • Storm

Anybody see a pattern there?

#25 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11695 posts) - - Show Bio

When people refer to Static as Static Shock

#26 Posted by The_Tree (6394 posts) - - Show Bio

When people that don't know the first thing about comics think that they're just for kids.

#27 Posted by Werupenstein (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Spin off books; Marvel is by far the worst offender of this but each team should just have one book, no 8 different X books B.S., just pick the best stories and keep them all in the main book.

If there are more good stories than one book can contain, start a new team/character, if the stories aren't good enough to support themselves they never should have been published in the first place.

#28 Posted by The Stegman (20702 posts) - - Show Bio
When people say " Marvel characters are "more relatable" than DC characters." 
#29 Edited by Uno_Oscuro (743 posts) - - Show Bio

When a character is talked up in power, but displays nothing of which would deem the statement true. Aka, Sentry(power of 1 millions suns), Ares(master and expert on all weapons and fighting styles), etc.

#30 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers Vs X-Men

Unnecessary Comic Book Deaths

Inconsistent continuity

Pointless tie-ins

women characters who are nothing but eye candy

men characters who are nothing but eye candy

Jeff Loeb

One More Day

#31 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Exactly

Do not fear Matt! I dug it too!

#32 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@inferiorego said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Exactly

Do not fear Matt! I dug it too!

I liked Civil War too

#33 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5672 posts) - - Show Bio
@x_29 said:

Avengers Vs X-Men

Unnecessary Comic Book Deaths

Inconsistent continuity

Pointless tie-ins

women characters who are nothing but eye candy

men characters who are nothing but eye candy

Jeff Loeb

One More Day

Agree with all this!
#34 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Marvel tells some really poor stories. And I feel their universe is too..."cosmic". If you know what I mean.

#35 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

right now? marvel changing everything to look more like their movie universe.