What Marvel Characters would you give a Vertigo Treatment to?

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Onemoreposter

I was reading some old X-Men today and thinking about how they overall would fit great in the Vertigo universe (not surprising since the Doom Patrol fit in so nicely). Specifically I was thinking Jamie Madrox would have been a perfect character for his own solo Vertigo series. I know Marvel has their MAX line which is sort of the equivalent to DC's Vertigo, but to me MAX seems to be more over the top gore and sex than the twisted, dark, intense stories we've received from all of the great Vertigo series.

If you could place any Marvel character into a Vertigo type setting, who would it be and why?

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Rumble Man
Done in the fashion of 'The Sandman'/'Lucifer' and her interaction with cosmics
Done in the fashion of 'The Sandman'/'Lucifer' and her interaction with cosmics
Squirrel Girl with Ellis & Gaiman on board
Squirrel Girl with Ellis & Gaiman on board
TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

Dr. Strange. Classic Strange stories are really very trippy and tend to deal with very high-concept type stuff, I feel like he was likely the influence on a lot of Vertigo anyway. Strange getting a full-on Vertigo treatment actually seems like something that's overdue IMO.

NuclearLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NuclearLife

I say Moon Knight would fit pretty well. He's best when he's written dark, and insane. I can almost see him in a book like Hellblazer(ish). Working against crime, but dealing with a mystic element. Like his first appearance in Werewolf by Night, and Khonshu. Also you could bring in Bushman for some heavy psychological thrills. Actually, Morpheus could be good with Vertigo too. He's always been asking for some better series. And the MAX series has characters that would be great to take into a Vertigo setting. i.e. The Hood, Simon Garth, Werewolf by Night, Punisher, Man-Thing (mind you they had Swamp Thing), Hellstorm, maybe even Howard the Duck (that's a real maybe). Oh, also Brother Voodoo.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Duke_Nasty

Wolverine

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Cap10nate

Daredevil, Punisher, and Winter Soldier. All would work well in the more mature setting that Vertigo provides. I am reading the Fury Max title now and while I like the story, I'm not a huge fan of the 'Max' portion of it. They seem to throw in excessive swearing, nudity, and gore because they can and not because it adds significantly to the story which makes it seem more juvenile than a normal Marvel story.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mega_spidey01

cloak & dagger. they wold have a supernatural element to them like the show which focuses on their powers and relationship with each other and how they are within society.

blue marvel give him the same treatment like captain atom from DC.

Etrigan the demon he's an interesting character ever since i saw him on the justice league in a knight's of shadows.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

Heh, I remember this kind of thread from another site (CBR).
What exactly is Vertigo treatment?
BB

Avatar image for the_horrible_truth
The_Horrible_Truth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think Captain America would certainly get more interesting if he was shuffled across to Vertigo. Because all of the things CA is supposed to represent (especially regarding "The American Dream) tie in with America's real life foreign policies, many of which are decided using extremely "questionable" factors. A Vertigo environment would allow for CA to really get into controversial subjects without having to constantly rein the writers in for being too 'out there', either in terms of political sensitivity or 'adult' content.

CA is in an extremely privileged place now as a character, (ie; Long standing character, been on a kind of 'Marvel backboiler'  for decades, recently promoted to mainstream with Hollywood credibility and $$$) So I think an environment like Vertgo
 would be like a kind of "go anywhere" Warrant Card, and in the hands of the kind of writers Vertigo have in their stables, that potential could really explore the  "down and dirty" aspects that current mainstream restrictions place on CA's creative teams.  

Imagine, the seedy underbelly of America's present geo-political profile, suddenly thrown open to the kind of examination that would, (were it IRL) by necessity be "Classified" for the nest 100 years. 

Now think of CA, with a Verigo 'Tabulah Rasa' to go anywhere CA wanted to, in the hands of . . . Garth Ennis. His disdain for the "Superhero" format isn't exactly a trade secret is it? And in particular, he sees CA as one of the worst offenders. He has stated that the found characters like Captain America “borderline offensive"  and his particular expertise of the Political Arena CA has previously operated in is second to none. 

I know that yes, if you give Ennis a Superhero to play with, (A Kirby creation, no less) he will take the piss out of anything that went before, and totally subvert the character, but rather than doing so out of a purely "because I can" motivation, I think he would use it as a vehicle to expose the dark places that CA has been since WWII,   in the uniquely brutal, mind rapingly explicit and perverse way that he is so loved for.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By the_tree

Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Dr. Strange.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@The_Tree said:

I would love to see that.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
@The_Tree

Throw in The Punisher and Damian Hellstrom and I'm in.
davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By davelecave

@Moonchilde said:

Dr. Strange. Classic Strange stories are really very trippy and tend to deal with very high-concept type stuff, I feel like he was likely the influence on a lot of Vertigo anyway. Strange getting a full-on Vertigo treatment actually seems like something that's overdue IMO.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By TDK_1997

Daredevil.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#15  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

agreed with Cloak and Dagger. That would be sweet.......... and I'll agree with the classic Dr.Strange Vertigo treatment, perfect.......

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jorgevy

@Billy Batson said:

Heh, I remember this kind of thread from another site (CBR).
What exactly is Vertigo treatment?
BB

same question here

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chaos Prime

Dr Strange, Blade, Ben Grimm & Puck..

RoyHarperBLOW