What makes Superman a great character?

Alktrio3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'll admit, I've never really liked Superman. I've also never REALLY given him a shot. I always just think, "Oh, there's Superman. The hero with all the powers." So, in your opinion and words what makes him so great? What have I missed or simply overlooked?

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's the GAWD DAMN SUPERMAN.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imo he is like captain America just with super powers. He is the good guy at all times. The boy scout who does no wrong. Pure justice and protecting the innocent.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By stormshadow_x  Online

Other then being the reason we have all other comic book heroes and some manga characters like Goku Superman is a deep rich character. He is one of the Strongest characters and most interesting. Superman is honestly one of those character who deserves to be over rated but by most is under rated like Aquaman. Superman deals with the exact same problem other people deal with on a much bigger scale. He is after all a Immigrant and in the end who does he stand by and follow to achieve his potential? His adoptive home or his heritage both which have positives and negatives. Read the comic where Kryptons rage war on earth and you will see how Superman is torn. He is also one of the things we as normal people strive to be. Stronger,Faster and on a Mental scale more compassionate and understanding. One of the things Superman is known for was standing for Truth Justice and the American way. Superman showed the resolve to be the guardian of earth as a whole and even gave his US citizenship back. A lot of people complain about his amount of powers. Which is kind of Stupid when characters like Thor and Goku can do just as much with fewer powers. Superman has given up just as much as any other hero if not more. There is a comic called All Star Superman if you haven't read it give try there is also a animated movie. The Same with a animated movie call Superman Vs. The elite which revolves around Superman showing that he is more human then 95% of the actual humans. At the end of the Day liking and disliking a character all comes down to preference. Superman deserves much more respect for starting the genre we love today and running it on his own for a few years after. I doubt anyone can change your mind if you simply just don't like him but Superman is all in all what every child wants to be when they are young. The very definition of a hero which is Superman. I can go more into detail about the amazing things about Superman if you'd like hope this somewhat made you want to give the boy scout a chance.

That man won't quit as long as he can still draw breath, none of my teammates will. Me? I've got a different problem.I feel like I live in a world made of... cardboard, always taking constant care not to break something, to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't you, big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am.
That man won't quit as long as he can still draw breath, none of my teammates will. Me? I've got a different problem.I feel like I live in a world made of... cardboard, always taking constant care not to break something, to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't you, big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am."-JLU series finale, "Destroyer," Superman

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Besides from being the most recognizable and iconic superhero on the planet, Superman represents values that every person, superhero or not, should strive towards. He's not just a symbol of the United States, but a symbol for everyone. His influence spreads far and wide and is basically the definition and template for all superheroes that followed after him. He also has own fantastic gallery villains-maybe not as well known as Batman, and just also for the fact that he so damn cool.

Suggested reading material: All Star Superman, Superman: Birthright, Superman: Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?, Superman: Red Son, Superman: Braniac

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alktrio3: I like him because he's one of the most relatable characters in a lot of ways. He's a nice guy who brings his a game to everything he does, and he's usually affected by any failure to protect people. Until the n52 he was the only character without an entirely dysfunctional or dead family, he was personable, and was a generally nice guy. The kind of person that holds the door for you at a restaurant, or returns lost wallets.

Just your average stand up guy, but with lots of powers. However, here's the thing, it feels to me as though most of the time he ends up fighting at (often intentional) disadvantages to stay true to his beliefs.

Clark Kent is also one of the most interesting characters in the n52, to me at least. He's just a college grad kid working for a newspaper, writing stories to help the needy and expose corruption. Even if he can get angsty at times, it feels more human to me than many other characters.

Batman is a loner and brooder, Hal is ego centric and has a hole slew of abandonment issues with the ring as of where I'm at with GL, and I've never been good at connecting with MMH or cyborg as the loners.

Basically, he's just a relatable character, despite having amazing powers. He's someone that I enjoy as the romantic hero of awesomeness and sci-fi comic action, where he throws the moon at his enemies, but he's still a very down to earth kind of person. He's often a more dynamic character as well, playing Big brother to many heroes, while simultaneously cracking jokes to lighten the mode. His dynamic personality goes great in tandem with Batman's nature as well, making them an excellent pairing via contrast and dynamism.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lightsout

I wish I had the mini-essay I wrote on a similar thread back-when saved so I could just copy-paste it (& I'm too lazy to hand-search through my post-history).

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does Superman represent that Captain America can't do better?

I'll wait.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@ximpossibrux:

Interestingly enough the many reasons why I like Superman also apply to Cap-hence why they're some of my favorite characters :)

But Superman is different in a couple of ways

1. He is an "immigrant" and his struggles to fit into society and trying to find terms with himself make up some great stories.

2. His secret identity as Clark Kent represents how people only see what they want to see, on one hand we have a bumbling, and soft reporter reporter that and the other we have a majestic god like figure that can freaking fly. The dynamic and contrast between these two identities is one of the most interesting in my opinion

3. He has seemingly god like powers yet he doesn't use them for evil purposes, even though Superman is an alien and has all these powers-he is in a way just as human in the sense that he goes through the emotions and hardships like we do.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wish I had the mini-essay I wrote on a similar thread back-when saved so I could just copy-paste it (& I'm too lazy to hand-search through my post-history).

Done :) Sorry for being a creeper, but I remembered you had some nice posts in bother these threads.

I don't know if it would help anyone "get it", but here's what I like about Big Blue:

1) I enjoy the fact that he's SO super-powered. I use comics to get away from my personal reality and if I were to imagine myself as a hero I wouldn't want to be some guy with gadgets, or some relatively low-level super power (where there's still a good chance they could be hurt if they're not on the top of their game) -- I'd want to be (relatively) worry free. (For the most part) Superman can lift anything, zip to anywhere in time, survive any assault. It's more of an escape for me. I don't really give much though to it's relation plot/fights. Even if Supes is only struggling versus a villain because of PIS, I just go with it (for the most part) -- the whole "he's used to holding back so much so he doesn't hurt/kill people, so sometimes he can't access all his might" excuse works nicely too.

2) About his character - I like that despite being a demi-god, in his own mind he's such a regular guy. To quote Batman from Superman/Batman

It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then... he shoots fire from the skies and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him.

It's true, Clark is the most human of everyone. He may not have the obvious tragedy of Batman, but he is not without his worries about those he loves. He is an inspiration. As a hero, he "saves people" (in simple terms) because he has the ability to & believes it's "the right thing to do". Not because he was victim to tragedy himself - not that that's bad, we can only expect people to take drastic actions under such circumstances, but because Superman goes BEYOND that expectation, that's what's inspirational. He could make tons of money with his abilities, yet he chooses a low-paying career that lets him give a voice to the un-heard while he's not in costume. Superman is what we're not- likely what we can never be (the level of selflessness, etc), but sometimes it's nice to have that ideal to inspire us & give us hope (for ourselves & our society). (Also, as someone who escapes to a fantasy world to enjoy himself, Clark's seemingly perfect personal life (friends (both super & non), family, romantic interest, etc) is also an inspiration/ideal).

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: dude, awesome! Not creeper at all, I appreciate the leg-work!

(I must say, I made some good points :D. Also did a good job "defending" him in the no-powers one.). It was good to go back & read other responses too. I definitely recommenced that the OP checks out the "Why do people like" thread & read the responses & look at the awesome panels posted, that embody the heart/spirit of Superman).

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lightsout

All of us posting reasons need to join some club, haha. Maybe go door-to-door & ask people if they've heard the good word about Superman

Alktrio3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does Superman represent that Captain America can't do better?

I'll wait.

i never said anything about captain america...

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By russellmania77

America

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Just pick up a comic book and find out... No matter how much someone tries to convince you that Superman is great, it won't really matter until you find out for yourself.

As for stories I recommend about Superman.

• Start at the beginning with Superman: Birthright
  • For the man who has everything
  • Up Up and away
  • Superman "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?"
  • Hitman "Of Thee I Sing"
  • and end with All-Star Superman.
Alktrio3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If i were to pick up some New 52, what would you recommend?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#19 stormshadow_x  Online

@alktrio3 said:

If i were to pick up some New 52, what would you recommend?

Well new 52 superman isn't really as the one we speak of but he's close enough. Try picking up Superman and Wonder Woman that's a good one