Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8838 posts) - - Show Bio

Tell me what you guys think:

#1 Edited by Manwhohaseverything (1778 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like you could drop "female" from the title, because what makes a strong character is the same for both sexes. Now, I don't think that means "Make WW exactly like Superman...only female." Any character still has to have their uniqueness. It's what I love about Spider-man, when he first came on the scene, we had a teen-age super-hero with money problems and relationship problems and so on. Which had not been done to that extent before. (Far as I know.) So, with a female character, don't have her simply be there because you needed a woman/girl for the story, or thought it would be a good idea to have a woman around, and make her window dressing/ a prop for the males. (The same can be said in reverse, but doesn't seem as common.)

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (37948 posts) - - Show Bio

Being natural.

#3 Posted by RD189 (836 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms Marvel and Rouge are my favorite examples. Both strong characters, and strong women in their own right, who have overcome massive personal tragedy to become great heroes.

#4 Edited by Strongarm (5856 posts) - - Show Bio

Feats

Competence

#5 Posted by Experio (13313 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking good.

#6 Posted by judasnixon (6085 posts) - - Show Bio

Good writers......

#7 Edited by RogueShadow (9749 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, I'm writing a female character called Emma who is a psychology student. She's far tougher and more tactical than my lead male [James] whilst also having a degree of agoraphobia and social phobia. Plus she has a katana, so you can't really go wrong with that.

#8 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8838 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything: Check out the video I talked about characters in general also. I named this topic particularly for Female characters because it seems writers have a harder time writing female characters.

#9 Edited by Manwhohaseverything (1778 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes: I did watch the video. I think you might mis-understand me. It's because you mentioned characters in general that I thought the female part might not be necessary. The rules are the same for both sexes. You're probably right that females are harder for the writers to do. I speculate that's because most of the writers are male. Anyhow, don't want ya thinking I don't enjoy your vids..I don't always comment, but I watch a lot of them. :)

#10 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8838 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything: Got yeah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for watching it is much appreciated. I am really glad that you enjoy them =)

#11 Posted by Ostyo (6247 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything: Well Said. But Spider-Man sucks so I had to imagine a hero I liked for that part. Not the point though!

#12 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (8682 posts) - - Show Bio

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS

#13 Posted by johnydecali (15 posts) - - Show Bio

For myself, a character that can hold her own, self reliant, smart, independent, and no real baggage such as trying to prove herself to her father/husband/sister/mother/etc. Caitlin Fairchild, Storm, and Cat Woman comes to mind as strong female characters asides from the obvious Wonder Woman, Super Girl, Ms. Marvel, and Jean Grey.