#1 Posted by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

ok so i was wondering what you believe makes a comic book character great for me its the challenges they face

#2 Edited by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

Aspiring to be better than most people (in terms of selflessness, sacrificing of themselves to help others - even if just 1 person, etc), succeeding in that, yet still having doubts & troubles & maybe sometimes even having that "I just can't win" feeling. Reading those types of stores makes me feel that maybe there can be change in the world, that people can do good for others & that the world will progress forward towards something positive.

#3 Edited by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout: i understand where you getting at i although i find that morally ambiguous characters can be awesome too

#4 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by judasnixon (7187 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers......

#6 Edited by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout: yeah i get it very good answer i understand the appeal

#7 Posted by Friorey (109 posts) - - Show Bio

personality, cool powers and of course the challenges they face.

#8 Edited by MarlboroMan (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

Image and after powers

#9 Posted by Squares (8392 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's see...character development, a solid basis to build on thereof, a complex and compelling personality and backstory, a visually pleasing character design, and a general ability to be interesting.

That and good writers.

#10 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

good writers and interesting villians like for example- superman & lex luthor or batman & joker.

#11 Posted by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

Understood

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

What makes a hero great is what he stands for, his dedication to what he stands for and the challenges he faces.

#13 Posted by Havenless (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

Being the underdog, overcoming moments of helplessness, sifting through morally confusing situations, complex and diverse relationships with other heroes of the continuity, and different layers in personality that will show depending on the setting.

Basically everything not Superman.

#14 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

An original idea behind the character.

#15 Edited by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless: I am guessing your not a fan of superman then

#16 Edited by OrphanCrippler (210 posts) - - Show Bio

hero - i like it when the hero is hated by the majority, like Spidey or Hulk, yet they still do good and don't become villains.

Villain - my favorite Villains are those who are professionals and do it like it's a job.

#17 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

A great rack.

#18 Posted by teddy_the_god_killer (314 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone who can polarise people's minds and beliefs to gain total devotion from the army of diehard fans. I like the Hulk because of his powers, I have never really liked a character enough to follow the, outside of interesting stories, hence my varied and random collection.

#19 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8686 posts) - - Show Bio

How bad*** they look doing nothing. Of course, this is only one aspect, but it's arguably the most important.

Case in point:

#20 Posted by Bierschneeman (4213 posts) - - Show Bio

: @ownagepants said:

ok so i was wondering what you believe makes a comic book character great for me its the challenges they face

I think theres a few things,, but you don't necessarily need to have them all, any of them CAN, but often aren't, able to be omitted

1. Absence of Rob Liefeld

2. Absence of Frank Miller

3. good story.... I mean through and through.... a good plot hook, a good segue, a good mystery (or show of adversity/ animosity/ nemisisery), a good low point, a good climax (most important) and finally a good ending....without a good ending, Ill forget about the storyarc pretty fast

4. character development........ (first they have to have character.... no phantom menace style cardboard cutouts can do here, since the action is stilled) then they have to grow.... if a character has his wife and daughter killed before his eyes because he wasn't quick enough to save them.... this has to stay with him.... even after the storyarc is done.... if it doesn't ...you lost me)

5. good art.... ok bad art can be ok too.. as long as its not horrifically bad (like nineties liefeld) provided it doesn't interfere with the story and the characters, its exceptable) this is the easiest throw away trait

6. continuity....... ok Im not saying nick picky things here... I mean MAJOR CONTINUITY CHANGES cannot be awful.... like retcons that have no Business existing and end up being insulting... (spiderman One more Day for instance) or like character changes, or resurrections that just are plain stupid..... insultingly impossible or just ruined a good death.... (SHADOWCAT..... brought back in the most INSULTINGLY STUPID way imaginable when she NEEDED TO STAY DEAD, in order to grant meaning to one of the most tragic deaths in comics....(less tragic now since they insulted us again, by breaking colossus and kitty up....FOR NO REASON) on a side note.... someone needs to blow up the lazarus pit.... Im sick of this gimmick.

7. non existence of bad ideas from Non-Canon.... brought into Canon ......(Superman and Wonder Woman... not only a bad idea because their personalities are completely incompatible, but also a bad idea because the way it happened takes a multiple decades step back for the feminist movement in particular regarding the most iconic female role model in comics.... (Wonder Woman can't function right unless forcefully dominated by a man stronger than her.)

8. absence of Rob Liefeld

#21 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (8032 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8032 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Havenless (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless: I am guessing your not a fan of superman then

I like him in theory, but he's so poorly executed. They need to scale back his powers considerably. When he's pushing planets back into alignment during his free time, why am I supposed to care that Solomon Grundy punched him?

#25 Edited by Havenless (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie said:

How bad*** they look doing nothing. Of course, this is only one aspect, but it's arguably the most important.

Case in point:

I never got the Boba Fett hype. His helmet is cool, but the rest looks like really bad cosplay. He had 5 minutes in the original trilogy, had no lines or action scenes worth noting, and he ended up dying the most embarassing death in cinema history: he tripped and fell into a giant stationary mouth.

#26 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8686 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless: *shrug* Everyone has there opinions so I'm not going to argue. Personally I think it's one of the coolest costumes in pop culture. Right up there with Batman.