what makes a character an A list or B list?

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jeanespinosa21

So i was wondering what is it that makes a character a B list character or an A list character? Is the mainstream knowledge of the character or what? Also do you think there is a difference between a-list characters and house hold names.

ex:

A-list: nightwing

B-list: red hood

household name: batman

do you get what i mean? what decides these characters popularity? Is it comic sales or what?

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@jeanespinosa21:

I think it's a combination of good sales and the quality of the character that make it a "household name".

That and how much they're featured in comics. Mostly becuase of the top two reasons.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By JulieDC

I think part of it has to do with popularity outside of comic book fans. Alot of people who don't read comics know who Nightwing is through cartoons such as BTAS and Young Justice. This recognition allows comic books to capitalize on that to encourage new readers to read comics. I know that is how I ended up liking Tim and Dick was through those cartoons. I also think it helps when a large part of their existence is connected to a household name like Batman as that gives them more exposure. But if you think about it, Batman had to go through a similar kind of process to become as famous as he has. It was through cartoons and live action shows and movies that popularized him outside of comic readers. It was the continual sharing of ideas between comics, movies, and cartoons that helped get him to the status he is at today.

I'm going to reorganize this into a list:

To me, this is how I'd break it down:

A List: Household names like Batman, Robin, Batgirl and Superman. These characters have had many appearances outside of comics and as a result, are well known beyond the comics.

B List: These characters have some recognition due to a few appearances outside of comics. Examples: Nightwing, Tim Drake

C List: These characters are well known to comic readers but have had only marginal recognition outside of the comics world due to few popular or not as widely viewed appearances. Examples would be Red Hood.

D List: These characters are only popular to comic book readers at the moment and have had no appearances outside of comics and therefore are unknown. Examples: Red Robin

E List: These characters aren't even well known among comic book fans let alone those who don't read them.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@juliedc:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Really, that's way better then my post. :P

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@juliedc: great answer! thanks! I was wondering because i was thinking that iron man wasn't a household name before the movie but now he is an A-list i think your list is pretty great thanks!

sandiego008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanespinosa21: Iron man has been an A for a long time. Comics have 'staple' characters and MOST of these are 1970 type characters that have a long run w/ the company. These typically get the publicity and movie/tv deals b/c they effect a much wider audience, the elder that read them in the 70-80's and those that read them now.

There is a reason why movies like Aquaman and Namor movies are in the talk right now even though they are not extremely popular in the comic industry. It's because they are the foundation of DC and Marvel comics , respectively, and can reach a much broader audience.

I know this is not where you wanted this thread to go to but I'll say it. This is why you don't see a ton of non-white A listers. It has to do w/ racism history. Comic characters were made when racism existed. So the most established characters will obviously be white and have a much better chance of being A listers. The top non-white A-listers are probably black panther and spawn.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CrouchingTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers