• 80 results
#1 Posted by Aurum19 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

It can be something as simple as inherit from a relative, or maybe a personal connection with a super hero. For me it's a mixutre of love for the stories. And the idea that the heroes fight for something greater then themselves. I also like the idea of a superhero that is impure, (I feel Marvel does this better, why I hate heroes like Superman and Batman). I like how comic books show that they have a human side to them, and are not perfect.

What about you guys?

#2 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

Smallville TV Series.

#3 Posted by sagejonathan (2026 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up on all the cartoons like Justice League and Batman Beyond,as well as the spiderman movies.

#4 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan said:

I grew up on all the cartoons like Justice League and Batman Beyond,as well as the spiderman movies.

This, basically. Watched Justice League as a kid, mom loved the Reeves Superman movies. Then I met a good friend in college who read comics.

#5 Posted by captainsaul (140 posts) - - Show Bio

I was up the town and I saw a new comic shop opening with a sale. So I picked up a Captain America Graphic Novel and from that day one I was in love with comics.

#6 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8675 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember when Iron Man came out in 2008 and that's what started it all, then I kinda fell out of it and lost interest...

But, then Captain America came out and it got me back in, and as soon as I found out that there was a comicbook store literally a few blocks away I made it a point to go every week.

Now I'm here to stay.

#7 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

Static Shock animated TV series and Batman Beyond.

#8 Posted by czechoslovakia (147 posts) - - Show Bio

I was friends with my professor, who loved comics

#9 Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

marvels 90's cartoons, and of course Batman TAS

#10 Edited by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

Went to a Plaza and bought a few. From there I was hooked!

#11 Posted by MrPwnage112 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

When i first saw Ironman 1 i was unaware what Marvel was...

Lets just say ive evolved from there

#12 Posted by AlForeigner (80 posts) - - Show Bio

A family friend shared his interest and love for comics with me. I bough a few comics soon after and it started from there..

#13 Posted by ccraft (5569 posts) - - Show Bio

Cartoons of Batman

#14 Edited by MandoViking (347 posts) - - Show Bio

Movies here too.

#15 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my secret origin:

I've always liked superheroes - having grown up with the JLU animated series and Static Shock. I used to read their Wiki articles all the time, and I'd trade interesting facts with friends. But I didn't become a true comic reader until I picked up a copy of Moon Knight Vol. 1 The Bottom. I don't know, but something about that comic stirred me. I've read comics when I was a younger, but I guess when I became older, the panels and pictures clicked better. Bought Moon Knight and never looked back. Been reading comics for six years now.

#16 Posted by HumanRocket (9348 posts) - - Show Bio

The 90s Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons waking up every Saturday morning seeing spidey team up with Iron Man Captain America Blade was awesome. After a few years I got into the other heroes and the rest is history

#17 Edited by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

My first Bane toy that came with an issue of no mans land featuring Bane. Thats were my love for Bane comes from. I then was determined to collect all comics with Bane and get as strong as him. Then in later years me and my brother watching animations of X-men, and Spider-Man, Batman, and Batman beyond, JLA, JLA Unlimited, and Static.

#18 Edited by Xwraith (21417 posts) - - Show Bio

The first two X-Men movies (which I don't think have aged well); it's one of my great shames that I didn't grow up with the superhero cartoons of the 90s.

#19 Posted by krunkeela (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Stumbled across my old Spawn #s 1 & 2 a month ago, then picked up superior spider-man #5. Got hooked and now I'm about 12 titles deep.

#20 Posted by Fenderxx (440 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say my Parents, I always grew up with comics around, they didn't read weekly or anything but Captain America, Spiderman, and Batman where always around, I would say that I got back into reading weekly by Marval Now and New 52, made really good jump on points to get back in.

#21 Posted by i_like_swords (17435 posts) - - Show Bio

What really kickstarted it for me was the Avengers movie. After I watched it I began reading up on origin stories and watching all the other movies and it became apparent to me that there is a whole universe that these heroes live in simultaneously. Made me want more and I found that comics is now a solid hobbie for me to get into.

#22 Edited by Aiden Cross (15526 posts) - - Show Bio

Cartoons (X-Men, Spider-Man etc), and my brother. He had boxes filled with 'Suske & Wiske' (Dutch/Belgium comics) and my parents who gave me a subscription to Donald Duck. And that's where i started =)

#23 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked comics long ago but stopped, I started again thanks to The Avengers movie

#24 Edited by Queso6p4 (1464 posts) - - Show Bio

@aurum19: Great question! I actually got into comics because of the 90's X-Men cartoon series, but I got into Batman because of reruns of the 60's show I watched in early childhood. In fact, I got my first comic ever out of a cereal box. o_O

#25 Edited by SupBatz (1848 posts) - - Show Bio

In a nutshell, Harley Quinn. I read The Killing Joke pretty early in life (my first comic) and really loved it. But I didn't pursue other comics after finishing it for a couple of years. I went back and began watching B:TAS after around the same time that Gotham City Sirens was starting up so I decided to give that a shot. And that led to my trying out other ongoings at the time. And then I began going back back reading older stuff. And here I am today.

#26 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man and X-Men 90's cartoons. Those were the days..

#27 Posted by montydapunk.k (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Since I come from India, I have been reading Indian comics ever since I was a kid, Back in the 90s I remember American comics were limited to the metros only and there was no such thing as online shopping, but I had no qualms as we had our own superhero books. I remember watching superhero cartoons like Flash Gordon, Defenders of the Earth, The Phantom in the late 90s and the Justice League and Superman in the early 20's. Back by the mid 20's the Indian comics publishers had suffered a lot and 80% of them were already closed. But back in 2009 I found a newspaper vendor selling some new issues of Raj comics, I was hooked. About the American comics, it was again in 2009 when I had my passion for superhero comics reignited and that was when I came across the DC and Marvel superheroes on the internet and the rest is history. BTW movies like Ironman, Avengers and TDK also played an important role.

#28 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

My dad's 40,000+ comics, and the Avengers game for the Sega Genesis (Data East)

#29 Edited by p3t3r133 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up watching JL and Spider-Man, when Iron Man movie came out I started reading comics. I was very shocked to learn that the spider-man cartoon and comic share basically zero story arcs, kept waiting for water-clone Mary Jane to come around.

#30 Posted by desmond006 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

All of the 90s cartoons, then I read Ultimate x-men.

#31 Posted by Queso6p4 (1464 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

My dad's 40,000+ comics, and the Avengers game for the Sega Genesis (Data East)

Nice! Wish I'd been fathered into comics. Perhaps I will father someone in someday...

#32 Edited by Lady_Shadow (31 posts) - - Show Bio

lol I had to insert this. I didn't start reading comic books until a few years ago when i got a job to actually go out and purchase them.

I grew up with the cartoons and movies like wolverine and the x-men, batman animated series, teen titans, and justice league. I used to tie a towel around my neck and pretend it was a cape lol Keep in mind I'm only 18 so this wasn't too long ago.

My first comic book was a DC book of Batman. I started enjoying more DC books because their heroes always try to do the right thing no matter what. Something we should all aspire to.

#33 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly it was the Superman vs Goku videos and discussions on the internet that made me delve deeper into the comic book characters. My only point of reference in the debate were the cartoons (STAS and JL vs DBZ), so I thought "well of course Goku, what's to debate?" Then, I looked at the scans from comic books that people were pulling out and my entire view point was flipped. After that, I wanted to read as much as I could, and today I read comics for the sake of comics. (I am still a maniac for manga though :P )

#34 Posted by nappystr8 (1155 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Legends action figures were the main thing. I was a huge Marvel fan growing up from the toys and TV shows, but rarely read any comic books. It wasn't til I was like 12 or 13 and the first wave of Marvel Legends came out that I started reading the comics that came inserted with the figures. I also collected hero clix for a while back then, which always had me in the comic book store anyway. So when I was about 15 and New Avengers started up, I decided that it was finally time to start reading something current. I haven't looked back.

#35 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (12407 posts) - - Show Bio

Got tired of reading nothing but manga, that and my dad has a crap load of old comic from the early 80's to late 90's laying around so I though might as well try it out.

#36 Edited by roboadmiral (553 posts) - - Show Bio

I started off watching Batman the Animated Series (and occasionally the Spiderman and X-Men cartoons of the era as well), then Batman Beyond, then Justice League. I liked superheroes in general, but Batman was definitely always the favorite. Eventually they stopped making them and I had to look for alternate sources. For a while I drifted without. As a kid my older brother would buy comics once in a while, but it wasn't a regular thing. He liked Wolverine so that was what he bought and what I read. Then somehow I ended up finding my way to the Dark Knight Returns while searching for an alternate source of Batman and my interest in the medium grew from there.

#37 Edited by dreamfall31 (579 posts) - - Show Bio

I have three points in my life that got me into comics. The first was when the Sin City movie came out. I read pretty much all the critically acclaimed graphic novels out there and a lot of Sandman. I fell off a bit until seeing the Daredevil directors cut and Spiderman 3. Despite how crappy those movies were, they still got me interested and I got a mail subscription to the Daredevil ongoing (most of Brubaker's run) and Sensational Spiderman (for the 3 final issues) which I then switched to a sub for Deadpool. Loved DD, but kind of dropped off towards the last two years and I would get issues then just add them to a stack of unread stuff. Didn't read the Deadpool issues I had until earlier this year.

Then only recently did I get into comics again by randomly adding the CV podcast to my iTunes as I had run out of other podcasts to listen to while playing Diablo 3 and Torchlight. Had no idea what they were talking about most of the time, but thanks to the movies I kinda knew most of the characters they talked about. I remembered how much I liked DD and those graphic novels from before so I sought out the nearest comic store and made a pull list and have been back into comics since around September of 2012!

#38 Posted by AdamtheSubmariner (107 posts) - - Show Bio

I went into a 2 dollar shop and found two old comics, Maverick and Alpha Flight. From there haha I was hooked. Odd but im not that big of a Maverick fan now.

#39 Edited by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

#40 Edited by Pokeysteve (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

A couple years after Jane's Punisher movie came out. I wanted more Punisher so I bought the first Max Hardcover. Then I started thinking about the Death of Superman story and figured hey why not read the thing so I picked up the trade. I got random trades here and there and before I knew it I was buying entire series (as of 5/7 Flash's 2nd volume and Elektra's Marvel Knights series).

#41 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1361 posts) - - Show Bio

Witchblade omibus vol 1 the frist 50 issue's collected in one big book.

#42 Posted by Polarity (106 posts) - - Show Bio

The 1990 Marvel Universe Card series. I think I got a couple of packs at a birthday party when I was a kid and got into comics shortly after that.

#43 Edited by chalkshark (1195 posts) - - Show Bio

My father used to buy them for me.

#44 Posted by Kangaxx_54 (306 posts) - - Show Bio

I was very into Batman when I was a little kid, but I left that behind when I got a little older (DC & Marvel comics are pretty rare in Denmark; a kid pretty much won't be able to get his/her hands on them). Then last summer I were visiting my mother, and she suggested that we watch the Dark Knight, which was on the TV the week before TDKR premiered. I'm not sure why, but that kick-started my love for all things Batman once again. I've been going overdrive since then, and it's not showing any signs of slowing down.

#45 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Found a box full of them in the basement of an older relative I was visiting ten years ago. Pretty much spent the rest of the summer gorging on them and haven't looked back since.

#46 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I got hooked on the trailer for Spider-Man 3 watched it fell in love with superheroes. Found out he was owned by a company called Marvel. Got hooked on several other heroes from them. Then one day after watching all the good Marvel shows I watched DC's Justice League, got hooked on DC. By then I managed to watch Batman Begins then Dark Knight then was extremely hooked.

Joined Comicvine liking the concept of the Blue Lanterns(though not knowing much about them). Got addicted to Lantern Comics. While I surfed backing them. I managed to get hooked on TMNT. After that I watched the Michael Bay Transformers Movie and while thinking they were okay or below(mostly below) I recognized their potential for video games. By then I found the Transformers Prime episodes and watched them and ever since have been addicted to Transformers and is my favorite franchise as of now.

I also found Thundercats 2 years back and Tron Uprising a year ago and got addicted to those.

So this is my comic addictions. I am now a full fledged comic fan and the Expert in my area among my friends/family.

#47 Posted by RustyRoy (13905 posts) - - Show Bio

This and Tim Burton's Batman. Also Spider-Man TAS and 90's superhero cartoons.

#48 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the cartoons the X-Men and Spider-Man 90s cartoon specifically, but still what got me into comics was my uncle.

We went to a store for an errand that so happened to have a comic book store right next to it. I saw super heroes and ran in. I saw so many comics and my uncle was nice enough to buy me 2. One was a TMNT story about "dreams" the other a story about Wolverine Vs Sabertooth and a separate story about Spider-Man vs Venom during Christmas.

Has anyone ever read a comicbook issue that had 2 separate stories in it?

#49 Posted by Cap10nate (2726 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted something light to read while traveling for work so I picked up the 1st Captain America omnibus by Brubaker on a whim, and just kept going from there.

#50 Edited by Dayvid3 (857 posts) - - Show Bio

Always loved superhero cartoons and whatnot. Seeing this kurt loder spot on MTV about the Akira movie with a clip and comic shots got me in the stores. Went for the movie, stayed for the comics