What kind of comic book reader are you?

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eric8a92

I'm a superhero type of reader. Surely, the majority of you on here are as well. But, at the current comic book shop that I go to, and another I went to before that, I constantly hear people requesting non-hero titles. And that's not because the store doesn't carry them, but because they're out. The most predominant ones are Ghost Busters, and as of late, Archie (must have something to do with the Afterlife thing it has going on. My current shop is having a special event on Wednesday celebrating it). Apart from those, there's also titles that sway away from the hero genre. Unfortunately Think Tank is the only title I can think of regarding the non-hero genre. And I remember seeing a post somewhere here of someone talking about how he prefers these titles as the hero stuff has gotten boring because it gets repetitive.

Anybody here a non-hero type of comic reader? Or maybe, both a hero and non-hero type?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

There's a big shift in comics right now. Lots of creator owned books out there. They make up about 50% of my pull list. The other half consists of various Marvel and DC stuff. Believe there are a lot of people on this site who prefer indie titles to the big 2.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I like a variety of books. I started out exclusively with superheroes, but began branching out when The Walking Dead (TV series) started. Superhero books are fun reads that I like quite well, but I much prefer independent, non-superhero books. Due to them not being confined to a big, shared universe, it allows me to be sucked into a completely new world. The stakes are much higher in non-superhero books as well, characters could be killed off in an instant. I am also able to get more emotionally involved in the non-superhero books much easier, due to me being sucked into the world, the high stakes, and because the stories are typically more real and dramatic. Non-superhero books are great as well, because each series is so different and unique from the next, and due to them being so different, they give me a break from the standard superhero fare.

Superhero books can be just as entertaining and emotionally engaging as non-superhero books, but it's much harder to reach that level for me. It'd need a really good writer, like Grant Morrison.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind as long as the story is good. I actually prefer Snyder's work on American Vampire over what he's accomplishing on Batman but that's just me..

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For years I was strictly Super Heroes of DC. But then in 2011 I started picking up Marvel titles, more Super Heroes. Then last year I started reading Invincible from Image. Then early this year I went to a Comic Store in my town that had just opened up and the owner convinced me to read the first volume's of Saga and Manhattan Projects because I wanted to venture into more Image titles since I was such a fan of Invincible. I read both titles and was hooked. From then on I started venturing into less Super Hero-y titles and started picking up other types of books like Chew, The Next Testament, Lazarus, Sex Criminals, Sandman, Coffin Hill, X-O Manowar etc etc. It's very nice palate cleanser from the Super Heroes, which I still love though.

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too am mainly a hero type reader. But, I do read The Walking Dead because of my love of anything zombie related. I also read Uber from Avatar Press which is perhaps right up there with anything I have ever read. Then as I saw other Avatar Press titles, some looks incredibly interesting. The art in them seems incredible, though extremely violent (as Uber mainly is).

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well if Bds counts as Comics than i've read way more Bd than Comics in my life(Lucky Luke,Astérix&Obélix,Marsupilami,Titeuf,Les Nombrils,and a lot more).I'm not saying i didnt read a lot of comics all i'm saying is that in my younger version i was eating Bd at a point it should be illegal!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8 JediXMan  Moderator

Whatever is good. But I typically look for dark / serious storylines.

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first started reading comics I was mainly just a Super Hero reader, I did read Angel and Buffy but apart from those I was strictly just Super Hero titles. However as time went by I found myself starting to read creator owned works from the writers I came across through Super Hero comics. So now I find creator owned works probably make up 1/3 of my collection.

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eric8a92

@rouflex: in elementary school, I read a lot of Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes, two titles which still hold a special place in my heart. Recently, I've been wanting to get a hold of some of those books to relive old memories.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I only read Superheroes. I kinda even consider Walking Dead a superhero, for some reason.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rouflex

@eric8a92 said:

@rouflex: in elementary school, I read a lot of Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes, two titles which still hold a special place in my heart. Recently, I've been wanting to get a hold of some of those books to relive old memories.

Lucky Luke,Astérix&Obélix,Marsupilami,Tintin,Schtroumpfs,Cédric,Kid Paddle,Titeuf,Les Nombrils/Bellybuttons,Spirou,Léonard,Daltons,Boule&Bill,

Garfield,Charlie Brown, and a few more(I'm only naming my favorites).

In fact i think Garfield is my first United Statien Comic.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By TDK_1997

I read every kind of book that is out there as long as I like it.I can read romance,horror or mystery or some book that doesn't have action at all but I have to like it.I can't buy the book if I don't like it.So I basically read everything but currently my pull-list is filled with a lot of superhero books or books that involve things that are mostly not possible but there are also books that cover up real life pretty well.I read comic books so I can have fun with things that I know are not real but I can pretend like they are real so that is why I prefer to read about books that involve Batman,Superman or Spider-Man evne though currently the superhero industry isn't looking that well.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I mix I read books like hawkeye, new avengers, etc. but I also read stuff like saga, locke and key, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

The only book I'm reading that's definitely a superhero book is Green Arrow. TMNT, X-O Manowar, and Unity I'm not sure about, and Regular Show and The Star Wars definitely aren't.

But I do plan giving Spurrier's X-Force and possibly Yost's New Warriors a try.

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's usually some titles that don't fall under the normal category of comic book genres that from time to time catch my eye, but I'm always reluctant to get them. Not sure why as the money really isn't a problem since I've spent money on books that I don't like before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

A cautious one. I don't have money to buy comics regularly, so I buy them now and again, after I know they're worthwhile.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I prefer superhero comics more

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read / have read Earth 2, Flash, Green Arrow, Savage Hawkman, Deathstroke, Demon Knights, Stormwatch, Captain Atom, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Grifter, Hawkeye, Avengers A.I, Black Bat, and Captain Midnight. I'm a Super Hero reader.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I started as only superhero then went to read saga, and invincible and east of west and my tastes are a blend now.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read Marvel superhero stuff, Buffy the Vampire Slayer stuff, and whatever Tim Seeley's working on at the moment.

It's a system that's worked well for me so far.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I buy most of the marvel/dc/vertigo titles and walking dead, saga, and eternal warrior

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

I'm a mixed kind of reader. I read anything I find enjoyable and Image has been knocking it out of the park lately with its indie titles, but capes are still the majority in my pull list.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Deadgod

i started as a mainly superhero reader but later became mixed reader , now i read all kind of comics weather they are of Marvel , DC , Image , Dynamite or any other company as long as story is good

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Superhero guy. Only read Marvel and DC. My reading list current is Marvel only. Though I did once read Y: the last man and I loved it.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By HolySerpent

i personally could never understand people who read comics that didnt have characters with superpowers or some type of extraordinary ability. Me personally i was striclty about DC until. recently Now I read Harbinger ( which is awesome by the way and more bang for your buck). I also read Asgard vs Galacticus (it was terrible. a complete waste of money). i also want to read Xmen but i dont know where to start.

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent: i read old X-Men, started again with Battle of the Atom.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#28  Edited By Queso6p4

@longbowhunter said:

There's a big shift in comics right now. Lots of creator owned books out there. They make up about 50% of my pull list. The other half consists of various Marvel and DC stuff. Believe there are a lot of people on this site who prefer indie titles to the big 2.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that shift personally as about half of my soon to be bough comics are creator owned and I do prefer them to the Big 2 books overall (I'm also horribly addicted to Kickstarter comics) . I still love superhero books, but there's so much more out there! People should pick up whatever looks interesting, within reason of course, and expand their horizons. I basically read whatever looks good and have found some great stuff, and some stuff that was a complete waste of time. It happens.

I'm a mixed kind of reader. I read anything I find enjoyable and Image has been knocking it out of the park lately with its indie titles, but capes are still the majority in my pull list.

@deadgod said:

i started as a mainly superhero reader but later became mixed reader , now i read all kind of comics weather they are of Marvel , DC , Image , Dynamite or any other company as long as story is good

Good unintended advice!

jackbensley777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

mainstream all dc and marvel... follow all the important events.... i also read conan wich is now by dark horse... has been for the past 15 years or ten idk. but ii only read those bc im a robert e howard conan reader

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tupiaz

I read all different comics. That can be Graphic novels, American comics (both superheroes and creator owned series however they are still pretty much the same even though the subject is different and the art can be more interesting. Still released every month have 22 page and rarely still have the american look), European comics (which seems to have no interest in the US whatsoever) and manga.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeathandGrim

Prefer DC and rarely Marvel if it interests me.

Indie is good too.

As long as the visuals are readable at a glance and the story is doable I can rock with it.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The type who read manga lol, but seriously when it comes to American comics I mostly go indie. Though I follow some capes like Hulk,Batman and Spiderman(well when Peter come back)

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

I'll always prefer DC and Marvel I think (especially DC though). It's the classics. Just not a huge fan of Indie.

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers