What is your favorite Green Lantern title in the new 52?

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Clark_EL

From issues 0-17 + Annual Which Green Lantern title do you enjoy the most.

• Green Lantern
  • Green Lantern Corps
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians
  • Green Lantern: Red Lanterns

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Tacos_Kickass

I would say New Guardians would be my favorite so far.

R.I.P. Glomulus

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Clark_EL

@Tacos_Kickass: I like Green Lantern, but I heard new Guardians is good too.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

Green Lantern, no contest.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sinestro_GL

The writing from the first two or three arcs from the main GL book was probably top 3 for the entire n52...for me anyways.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Clark_EL: Green Lantern is really the only good GL book right now

GLC just hasnt been the same since the new 52, it has been more like a war title than a space one

Red Lantern is different, like a vertigoesque GL but not very good at it, i can understand why so many people just hate it but there are worst titles out there

New Guardians is just plain disappointing, Berard did an excellent job with an Space title on R.E.B.E.L.S. but with NG it has something missing, it just seem very limited, specially because of the team, there are some members that just plain didnt do anything in the entire book and then were replaced after the first year without actually getting developed and at that point the whole book shifted from being a team book to be Kyle's solo book with some other Lanterns going around, not that is something wrong is just that it completely wasted that "team mechanic" though the White lantern kyle seems to be going to be more interesting places than before

Bottomline, i think the main problem is the other books never really had a light of their own they just were following Geoff Johns, not necessarily bad but it limited the possibilities of all the other titles

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Binski

New Guardians with Green Lantern close behind

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TDK_1997

Green Lantern.I don't even like the other titles besides Green Lantern Corps.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JonSmith

Thus far, I'm quite partial to the New Guardians.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clark_EL

@sinestro_GL: Yeah I like Justice League., Batman, Green Lantern, and Aquaman.

@arnoldoaad: Okay thanks.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dabee

I've really enjoyed New Guardians. But to be honest, I've liked all four. Each have had strong moments.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

GL>GL:NG>GLC 

and I stopped reading Red Lanterns after 3 issues.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmashBrawler

Green Lantern.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By JakeN7

Green Lantern followed closely by New Guardians.

Green Lantern takes it only because I'm a Simon Baz fanboy. I've really been enjoying Kyle's journey to master the emotional spectrum, and his recent transformation into the White Lantern.

Pete Tomasi is one of my favorite writers and I like Green Lantern Corps a lot (which is saying something because I'm not a fan of Guy Gardner or John Stewart), but I've been enjoying Green Lantern and Green Lantern: New Guardians more overall.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Clark_EL

@JakeN7: You don't like Hal and Sinestro's team work?

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By lightsout

Tie between GL & New Guardians. GL moves slow at times, but I feel the story has always been more important to the overall GL universe than the others. NG has some pull though because Kyle is far & away my favorite GL (and loving that he has mastered all the spectrums now).

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JakeN7

@Clark_EL said:

@JakeN7: You don't like Hal and Sinestro's team work?

I've only been reading the New 52 series since issue #0.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Clark_EL

@lightsout: Yeah I though 1-12 of GL were great....

@JakeN7: Oh ok personally has a Hal Jordan fan I think issues 1-12 are amazing and even if you're not a Hal fan it's still really good.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JakeN7

@Clark_EL said:

@JakeN7: Oh ok personally has a Hal Jordan fan I think issues 1-12 are amazing and even if you're not a Hal fan it's still really good.

I'm a Hal fan myself. I just haven't caught all the way up on Geoff Johns' run yet. Since the New 52 literally did nothing to the Green Lantern continuity, I wanted to read most of the pre-Flashpoint stuff first. I know it goes all the way back o Rebirth, but I just went back as far as Blackest Night and I think I'll be fine.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Clark_EL

@JakeN7: You'd be fine but personally I'd go right at the Sinestro corps war arch.....but even if you haven't read a signal GL issue in your life you could figure it out quite easily so it's not a problem.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chronus

Green Lantern.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JakeN7

@Clark_EL said:

@JakeN7: You'd be fine but personally I'd go right at the Sinestro corps war arch.....but even if you haven't read a signal GL issue in your life you could figure it out quite easily so it's not a problem.

Thanks for the advice. I want to collect the whole run eventually. After I got Grant Morrison's whole run on Batman, I decided I wanted to start collecting Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern. I haven't gotten very far with that yet though. I probably will go back and read the first two trades of the New 52 Green Lantern sooner rather than later. I'm sure his departure after issue #20 will inspire me to read all I can...

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Clark_EL

@JakeN7: Yeah, I'm really excited for issue 30 it looks like Hal is going to rise up and beat the First Lantern some how.

Anyways keep reading, I'm going to start getting Green Lantern NG....

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JakeN7

@Clark_EL said:

@JakeN7: Yeah, I'm really excited for issue 30 it looks like Hal is going to rise up and beat the First Lantern some how.

You mean #20 right? I'm excited as well.

Anyways keep reading, I'm going to start getting Green Lantern NG....

You definitely should. It has it's ups and downs, but it outshined all the other GL books during Rise of the Third Army (especially when Green Lantern pretty much ignored the event in favor of telling Simon Baz's story, which I was incredibly happy with by the way.)

It's definitely the book you should read if you're at all interested in any of the other colored corps.

Also, the new writer Justin Jordan (Shadowman, Luthor Strode, Deathstroke, etc.) said that the name of the book is going to become a lot more literal. Implying that Kyle and the New Guardians are going to become just that, literally the new Guardians of the Universe. Which is definitely needed because the reign of the blue skinned bastards is most certainly at an end. Can't wait to see it all unfold!

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Clark_EL

20 yeah typo

@JakeN7 said:

You definitely should. It has it's ups and downs, but it outshined all the other GL books during Rise of the Third Army (especially when Green Lantern pretty much ignored the event in favor of telling Simon Baz's story, which I was incredibly happy with by the way.)

It's definitely the book you should read if you're at all interested in any of the other colored corps.

Also, the new writer Justin Jordan (Shadowman, Luthor Strode, Deathstroke, etc.) said that the name of the book is going to become a lot more literal. Implying that Kyle and the New Guardians are going to become just that, literally the new Guardians of the Universe. Which is definitely needed because the reign of the blue skinned bastards is most certainly at an end. Can't wait to see it all unfold!

I will, can you tell me some stuff that happens...do they fight the third army a lot?

I would love to see them as the New Guardians it might be a little weird for me though, because of all that GL history with the regular guardians.

But after trying to kill the all the Lanterns I could see how they wouldn't just accept them back in :)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JakeN7

@Clark_EL said:

I will, can you tell me some stuff that happens...do they fight the third army a lot?

Well so in the beginning of the series the former female Guardian Sayed (who was then serving as Larfleeze's personal Guardian) makes one ring from each lantern corps abandon it's user. She then sends the rings to find Kyle Rayner seen below:

From New Guardians #1
From New Guardians #1

Representatives of each corps then find Kyle and wonder why he's stolen rings from members of their corps. With Kyle's claims of innocence falling on deaf ears, a battle ensues. The battle is only broken up when Saint Walker arrives. He believes Kyle is telling the truth so the pair set off for Oa to find some answers, with the representatives of each corps in hot pursuit. The Guardians assume that Kyle obtained the rings through foul play and attack him. In order to defend himself, Kyle utilizes the power of all the rings and turns into this:

From New Guardians #3
From New Guardians #3

Kyle isn't able to control it for very long because he doesn't have mastery over those colored rings. However, he is able to escape with Saint Walker, Larfleeze and the others, and they end up at Larfleeze's home. It is then revealed that Sayed sent those rings to Kyle in the hopes that he would unite the corps and save her love Ganthet from the influence of the other Guardians.

That basically sets up the premise of the book where Kyle tries to master the emotional spectrum, and the book has a strong overarching theme of love.

Fast forward to the Rise of the Third Army and Kyle is looking for Hal for advice on the Guardians. He meets up with Carol Ferris who is watching a news report about Hal and Sinestro's battle with Black Hand. When Kyle decides to use his ring to find Hal he's informed of Jordan's "death", however Carol's feelings for Hal and her abilities as a Star Sapphire reveal to her that he is still among the living. Carol shows Kyle his future and we see him in various uniforms from the colors of the emotional spectrum. While Kyle doesn't think that it's possible for him to combine the emotions together Carol sees this as the only way to save Hal. Thus begins his journey to master the emotional spectrum. He is now doing it at the behest of two lovers, Carol Ferris in order to save Hal, and Sayed in order to save Ganthet. It's worth noting that Kyle would have never agreed to do it if he didn't have strong feelings for Ganthet and Hal himself. He sees Ganthet as the closest thing he's ever had to a father, and Hal as a friend, fellow lantern, and brother-in-arms.

In issue #13 the Rise of the Third Army event has kicked off and Kyle is training with Atrocitus in order to master Rage and harness the power of the Red Lanterns. He does of course, and moves on to Compassion. In issue #14 Kyle is seen apparently having just completed his training with Indigo-1 and now has mastery over four different corps, Green, Blue (he mastered Blue earlier on during a crossover with Blue Beetle I believe), Red, and Indigo. He finds the only remaining Yellow Lantern, Arkillo, and trains with him in order to master fear. After doing so, in issue #15, he, Carol, and Arkillo head on over to Larfleeze's homeworld so that Kyle can master Greed. Larfleeze is of course very reluctant to share his power, but agrees after Carol uses her mastery of Love to appeal to Larfleeze and his emotions (apparently his past is quite tragic.) Kyle is soon able to master Greed but is interrupted by an invasion of the Third Army. Sayed then sacrifices herself in order to allow everyone to escape so that Kyle may continue his journey and save Ganthet. In issue #16, the conclusion of the Rise of the Third Army event, Kyle has escaped to Zamaron where he is trying to harness the final emotion, Love. He is having trouble doing so, and soon Arkillo, Carol, and Saint Walker meet up with him after having been on an adventure of their own (in the Annual, skip it, it's just set up for Threshold) eventually Ganthet (who of course has been brainwashed and cut off from all emotions) and the Third Army attack. Forced to fight his close friend, mentor, and father figure, Kyle finally harnesses the power of Love and transforms into the White Lantern:

From New Guardians #16
From New Guardians #16

Ater seeing Kyle as the new White Lantern, Ganthet quickly flees to Oa. Kyle, Carol, Arkillo, and Saint Walker decide to take the fight straight to the Guardians and head off for Oa themselves. What follows is in Green Lantern Corps Annual #1(the conclusion to Rise of the Third Army, I'm assuming you read it.)

Issue #17 was the last issue and Kyle is confronted by Volthoom who is trying to siphon Kyle's immense power for himself. I won't summarize or spoil that one because it's the most recent issue and is probably still on the shelves at your local LCS. It's a great issue though, and has one of the best covers I've ever seen (seriously, it's stunning.)

Anyways, that's a (not so) brief summary of all the stuff that matters right now. Of course I skipped over a ton, but that is basically the knowledge needed when going into the series when the new creative team takes over, and the stuff that pertains to the rest of the Green Lantern Universe.

Thanks for asking! That was fun (I had nothing better to do really), hope you enjoy the series!

I would love to see them as the New Guardians it might be a little weird for me though, because of all that GL history with the regular guardians.

But after trying to kill the all the Lanterns I could see how they wouldn't just accept them back in :)

Yeah, it would be weird. But, it would take an incredible amount of suspension of disbelief for the Guardians to just go back to normal and everyone has to pretend like nothing happened. This was the last straw for those little blue bastards! lol.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Green Lantern, then

Green Lantern Corps.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 2chimcha3

Green Lantern, but New Guardians is really good too.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Like @The Stegman said GL>GLC>GL:NG. It was close for me between GL and GLC, New Guardians has gotten way better recently. I read a few issues of Red Lanterns can't get with it, it's bad.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By fodigg

Green Lantern.

I'm a little bit underwhelmed by the CORPS book--not enough Stewart for me--and New Guardians isn't quite as satisfying as the Sinestro stuff. Red Lanterns is terrible.

MythiiC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MythiiC

Green Lantern > New Guardians > CORPS > Red Lanterns - But I enjoy all of the books.

Honestly, Green Lantern & New Guardians are 2 of my favourite books of the New 52 (although I only read about 20 titles from the new 52) - I was surprised how much I enjoyed them since I had only really read spidey & batman books before that, yet now Hal is my favourite superhero!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JakeN7

@MythiiC said:

Green Lantern > New Guardians > CORPS > Red Lanterns - But I enjoy all of the books.

Honestly, Green Lantern & New Guardians are 2 of my favourite books of the New 52 (although I only read about 20 titles from the new 52) - I was surprised how much I enjoyed them since I had only really read spidey & batman books before that, yet now Hal is my favourite superhero!

Only!?

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Clark_EL

@JakeN7 said:

@MythiiC said:

Only!?

LOL

MythiiC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MythiiC

@Clark_EL: Haha, they stack up pretty quickly... What I should have probably said is that originally I read 2 new 52 titles, then I read Green Lantern which I blame for expanding that to 20 (Green Lantern got me heavily into comics lol).

And 20 isn't that bad... is it? xD

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Clark_EL

@MythiiC: What do you mean by "bad"?

Here is my current New 52 pull list..I'm probably going to add more Green Lantern titles though:

Pull-List

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mr_Winchester

New guardians.