What is with these faulty Nu52 redesigns?

Avatar image for herokiller12344
Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I mean for God's sakes, I get that the new 52 is a reboot, but why do we have to get rid of designs that worked just fine before? Not everything needs to be "tweaked" and made to look more "modern".

No Caption Provided

I mean look at this. LOOK AT IT!

I'm sorry if I'm preaching to the choir or beating a dead horse, but this is just beyond frustrating.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I blame Jim Lee man can't create an original design to save himself.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though this topic has been spoken about a lot, I do agree that the new Lobo look reboot is BS. Especially since he looks different on the Villains Month cover AND "he" is in StormWatch.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't like it don't read it, there are many other companies and books that would like your money

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

it's because DC's editorial has pi$$ed off all of their good writers and artists and they're scraping the bottom of the barrel these days

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Maybe he likes the characters, and would like to read good stories featuring them?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

@dondave: Maybe he likes the characters, and would like to read good stories featuring them?

Then too bad

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: So he doesn't have a right to complain?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: Not really, Lobo is part of DC's franchise and they can do whatever they want with him, if you don't like the changes you don't have to read stories featuring him.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marionettegeist

@dondave: True, but if you voice your complaints (in a civil way) it could lead to them changing the character he likes back, so that he can enjoy the stories again.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@dctv3363: Not really, Lobo is part of DC's franchise and they can do whatever they want with him, if you don't like the changes you don't have to read stories featuring him.

so it's not ok for him to complain about the redesigns but it is ok for you to complain about him complaining? makes sense

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@dondave said:

Really tired of these glad handing, yes-men.

"WHY YES DC. YOU DO WHATEVER YOU'D LIKE. I'LL STAY HERE AND TAKE IT."

Would you say it if they put Batman in a rainbow colored costume, that came included with a skirt?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dondave

@dondave said:

so it's not ok for him to complain about the redesigns but it is ok for you to complain about him complaining? makes sense

I didn't complain about him complaining, he can complain all he wants, but he shouldn't waste his time doing so, he should read something else if he doesn't like the changes

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dondave

@dondave said:

Would you say it if they put Batman in a rainbow colored costume, that came included with a skirt?

I'd stop reading him

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

if it was a new character and not lobo, i would have loved the design. BUT WHY CHANGE LOBO?!!!!

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Personally I would complain, because if nobody complains about it DC might seriously think they made a good decision. I mean the best way to vote is with your wallet, but in less extreme cases I wouldn't doubt it if DC got the wrong idea about why the series is failing. They might blame it on the character not being popular vs. their stupid changes.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@sideburnguru said:

@dondave said:

Well, if that did happen every single person on here would be complaining about it already, so there wouldn't be much of a point. :P

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 vance_astro  Moderator

If this is how Lobo is going to look, they should just kill him off.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is how Lobo is going to look, they should just kill him off.

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blood_Red_Rage

Part of Lobo's persona is his look. Considering the original idea behind his creation this new look does take away from that but if that is what they want to do they must have some reason for it. I figured how they put him in Stormwatch was going to be it.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't really get all the hate for it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@blood_red_rage said:

Part of Lobo's persona is his look. Considering the original idea behind his creation this new look does take away from that but if that is what they want to do they must have some reason for it. I figured how they put him in Stormwatch was going to be it.

I agree with this and they had absolutely no reason to change it. New 52 is becoming "changes for the sake of changes".

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ccraft

Looks good to me, but the writer has said that Lobo is going to look bigger than the concept design.

We'll just have to wait until the comic comes out.

No Caption Provided
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with this and they had absolutely no reason to change it. New 52 is becoming "changes for the sake of changes".

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blood_red_rage: Agreed with the first part. Lobo was intended to be a parody of the 90's over the top anti-hero (it just happened that people didn't get that & loved him for it). Change that & he loses part of who he is.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman did have a rainbow costume

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

No Caption Provided

I actually kind of like this image. At least, I like it MUCH better than the depiction shown in the original post. Still doesn't look enough like Lobo for my tastes. But I find it easier to deal with here.

No Caption Provided

And while we're on the subject of faulty New 52 designs...
Two years later, I still haven't gotten over this -___-

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz: I kinda like Harley's new 52, but it could have been waaaaay better designed.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's nothing. What they did to the Creeper is criminal.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

it's because DC's editorial has pi$$ed off all of their good writers and artists and they're scraping the bottom of the barrel these days

yes, I mean, They just lost Rob Liefeld a while ago, that was their last good artist......*takes tongue, stabs cheek*

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@ccraft said:

Looks good to me, but the writer has said that Lobo is going to look bigger than the concept design.

We'll just have to wait until the comic comes out.

No Caption Provided

see, NOW THAT... looks awesome.... and it looks like Lobo to me, the concept art released from before, was really bad... but this is cool (and I feel like I won't just skip out on him for being overthetop cheese

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Where's he gonna keep all those weapons?! Now that Rob Liefeld's out of the company, pouches have to be pretty scarce in the DCU...

Also, off topic: is Shadow Thief a dude or has that been changed? The solo-issue cover this month features a female Shadow Thief, but during the Society's meeting in Forever Evil 1, it looked like the classic male Shadow Thief was attending. Anything I overlooked?

*btw, I'm ok with the new Harley and Creeper looks. I'm a huge fan of pre-52 Creeper, but I have to admit that issue or JL Dark was a good read and he was portrayed well in it regardless of the drastic changes.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I wonder what the character design they used on the cover is all about?

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wonder what the character design they used on the cover is all about?

It's his less-distinguished sibling, "Lo-bro"

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

TRON IS COOL YO!

Husk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz said:

@ccraft said:

No Caption Provided

is that the concept art for Suicide Squad??? looks more cartoonish than the comic

which version do you prefer for Harley Quinn? as her costume design changes often. (this is better than the Injustice version)

maybe we hould get @joygirl to comment on this picture, as I would trust her opinion on all things Harley Quinn above Anyone else

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some redesigns are pretty bleh, like that Lobo one.

I'm a fan of Flashes outfit being composed of a ton of metallic parts & Deadshot looks pretty fantastic.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

It's this kind of attitude that lets companies get away with producing substandard material.

@herokiller12344: Ignore the "Durr, you can't say anything bad about the company!" folks, because they're full of crap. Freedom of Speech is a fully enshrined right and you have every right to bitch about decisions you see as questionable.

Mindlessly accepting everything lead to Hitler after all.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it looks nice. But I don't think it'll sell well to established readers. But in any case maybe it'll work.

eternalnature

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really don't mind the costume changes. Its an improvement to me.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@husk: Hm? Oh that design is godawful. Everyone knows that.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@husk said:

@supbatz said:

@ccraft said:

No Caption Provided

is that the concept art for Suicide Squad??? looks more cartoonish than the comic

which version do you prefer for Harley Quinn? as her costume design changes often. (this is better than the Injustice version)

maybe we hould get @joygirl to comment on this picture, as I would trust her opinion on all things Harley Quinn above Anyone else

It's a rendition of the Suicide Squad design drawn by Cameron Stewart on his Tumblr page: http://cameron-stewart.tumblr.com/post/17275488005/as-a-warm-up-before-work-this-morning-i-decided-to
I
t's not in a comic or anything like that, just something he drew for practice ^^.

Honestly, I don't think I'm too picky when it comes to Harley's design. I can roll with anything we've seen EXCEPT New 52 and the main Injustice version (though I am perfectly fine with her Injustice Insurgency design). I think my biggest turn-off is the permanently white skin and the dyed hair. I prefer if Harley is only wearing makeup and costume. That way we can see her plainclothes from time to time. Plus, I don't really feel that the New 52 design is a good representation of Harley as a character. It just doesn't look anything like her, in my eyes.

Husk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: hmm, ok, I am not a fan of the pic, but I only like Harley a little.... I just wanted a more ....dedicated fan ......thank you

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blood_red_rage said:

Pretty sure I never really came to agree with you, at any time. Pretty sure we debated over characters like twice.

I respect the hell out of you for saying this. Thank you, so damn much. This is what me, another comic fan, and the comic store owner around my area agreed on.

DC is changing things to change them, just because they can. There's no more benefitting it, and the only people at risk are the old fans, who DC has shown time and time again, they don't care about.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@sideburnguru said:

Pretty sure I never really came to agree with you, at any time. Pretty sure we debated over characters like twice.

There's a first time for everything :)

@sideburnguru said:

I respect the hell out of you for saying this. Thank you, so damn much. This is what me, another comic fan, and the comic store owner around my area agreed on.

DC is changing things to change them, just because they can. There's no more benefitting it, and the only people at risk are the old fans, who DC has shown time and time again, they don't care about.

With how much DC is doing to piss people off I can only imagine how much worse it's going to get. New 52 shouldn't have been a reboot. They came way too far to start over.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru said:

There's a first time for everything :)

@sideburnguru said:

With how much DC is doing to piss people off I can only imagine how much worse it's going to get. New 52 shouldn't have been a reboot. They came way to far to start over.

Damn right.

I honestly don't even know how well it did. I mean, I get it. At first it was to bring new readers in. At the same point, at what cost? At the expensve of every older reader? To spit in their face and rewrite history? It's just bad.