What is the most overrated comic story of all time.

• 139 results
Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Fire-brand

death of captain america. he should have just stayed dead. that would have immortalized him as a martyr for liberty for all time. now that he's back i feel like it all meant nothing. like the event has lost all of it's weight.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By Caligula
@Fire-brand: it held no weight for me to begin with. i mean whenever i see a major character die, I don't even care anymore because i know they'll be back within 6-months to a year at least
Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Caligula:
the art is horrible

there is too much pointless scenes with jimmy and the other newscast

lex controlling brainiac makes no sense

superman and woman spells WTF

mis-use of characters mainly superman 
batman contradicts himself too much
the ending is crap. 

The book itself is terrible sequel and is next to JLA - Act of God

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Caligula
@Death Certificate said:
"

@Caligula:
the art is horrible

there is too much pointless scenes with jimmy and the other newscast

lex controlling brainiac makes no sense

superman and woman spells WTF

mis-use of characters mainly superman 
batman contradicts himself too much
the ending is crap. 

The book itself is terrible sequel and is next to JLA - Act of God

"
now you are just quoting, linkara quote for quote.

also this thread is for most overrated comic. and trust me no one has ever overrated Dark Knight Strikes Again.
Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Caligula
@Death Certificate said:
" @Caligula:
Even If i only watched linkara review, nothing would make read that comic. The art seriously sucks. Believe me, there many people who think it was a good comic 
http://www.flakmag.com/books/darkknight.html     
http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/104029411278281.htm     
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Dark-Knight-Strikes-Again/dp/1840236213      "
so you are passing judgement on a comic you have never read. that's like passing judgement of a human being for the way they look, or what someone said about them
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ssejllenrad

Overrated for me: AoA, HoM, and Infinite Crisis. Still love them all though. I just think people give them too much credit.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Watchmen, I'm not denying it wasn't good it just wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.

inkbot01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By inkbot01

anything chris claremont does (with a few exceptions of course). 

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By Tainted-Cell

I actually really liked AoA, but that's partly due to my appreciation for alternate timelines and pretty epic re-imaginings. It did kind of go pear-shaped towards the end, though.
You know, for me, everything that Geoff Johns writes could not be any more over-rated. Granted, I love Booster Gold, but to call Johns the savior of the DC universe is a bit far-fetched.

If I had to pick one, though, it would be "Crisis On Infinite Earths".

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Tainted-Cell said:
" I actually really liked AoA, but that's partly due to my appreciation for alternate timelines and pretty epic re-imaginings. It did kind of go pear-shaped towards the end, though. You know, for me, everything that Geoff Johns writes could not be any more over-rated. Granted, I love Booster Gold, but to call Johns the savior of the DC universe is a bit far-fetched.  If I had to pick one, though, it would be "Crisis On Infinite Earths". "
Crisis on Infinite Earths is the first trade paperback I ever read, and I had I not read Infinite Crisis immediately after, it would have been the only one. I thought it was drawn-out, overblown, garbage. 

But the most over-rated story imo is Dark Victory. It's just Long Halloween-lite with Robin thrown in. Boring.
Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By Night Thrasher
@Tainted-Cell: As far as actual story, I do think COIE was a bit overrated. But as far as importance goes it's very underrated. It's pretty much a wash to me.
Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#63  Edited By Tainted-Cell
@FadeToBlackBolt:  Fans of Two-Face would disagree with you. It is definitely drawn out, but I'm a big fan of Tim Sale's style, which is at least half of the reason the Loeb-Sale books garner so much attention ;)

@Night Thrasher: I don't even consider it that important, either. Nearly every DC character is being revamped these days with retconned origins (we've got Johns to thank for that), leaving whatever coastal clean-up Crisis had intended to be a complete waste of epic proportions.
SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64  Edited By SaintWildcard

All Star Superman- It's good but the way people talk about it makes it seems like its the best thing ever. I enjoyed it but it's not for me.

Superman Unchained- What a turd. Grant Morrison and Greg Pak made Superman fun but Snyder has made him so boring. As soon as Wraith became a mentor my interest plummeted. Stick to Batman please.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All Star Superman- It's good but the way people talk about it makes it seems like its the best thing ever. I enjoyed it but it's not for me.

Bet you wanna unfollow me huh @allstarsuperman

Superman Unchained- What a turd. Grant Morrison and Greg Pak made Superman fun but Snyder has made him so boring. As soon as Wraith became a mentor my interest plummeted. Stick to Batman please.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By Bezza

I don't think ever TDKR or All Star Superman are as "stellar" as they are made out. They are both good books and I own both of them, but neither qualifies as my favourite book with Batman or Superman in it.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By judasnixon
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Civil War.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Detective Comics Stalked simply by the fact that some people like it.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yeah I'm going to vote for Civil War as well, the whole book is just written as shock value and the "cool" factor of having out favorite heroes beating the living crap out of eachother for the dumbest reason ever. There's no real substance or anything to the book, people just want to see Superheroes fighting eachother and the "who would win a fight" crap.

The Dark Knight Returns is up there too, and NO it is not because Batman beat up Superman, I just don't find the story to be as legendary as everyone makes it out to be. I still think it's great, just not the best Batman story.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Civil War overrated really? I don't really here people hype it up much. In fact, it's pretty controversial.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Does Matt Fraction's Hawkeye count?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#73  Edited By TDK_1997  Online

Death of the Family.The whole story is just so overrated that I can't even bare with it.Everything about it just makes me want to puke and punch the person that says that he likes it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Civil War overrated really? I don't really here people hype it up much. In fact, it's pretty controversial.

I kno rite. Though a few years back people were acting like it was the best thing since sliced bread. But that's how things go, isn't it?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Knight Returns

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Wolverine008

@farkam said:

@wolverine08 said:

I kno rite. Though a few years back people were acting like it was the best thing since sliced bread. But that's how things go, isn't it?

ALL THE HYPE:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Meh, I like the story a lot, but you can have your own opinion. If I were to get back at you I'd say Red Son, but I only watched the motion comic, so I am not sure how or if it differs from the original story. It was kinda a bore though.

Also Unchained 6 was pretty good, but I'll agree, Unchained in all hasn't been great.

The true answer is Watchmen and TDKR:

No Caption Provided

Chichen_Nuggeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread got necroed after a 3 year wait... what a shocker...

Watchmen is the most overrated. I still have it lying somewhere around my house but I never really bothered reading it after the first few pages.

Also, Civil War was awesome, especially since Tony is essentially the antagonist. And he did a damn good job of making me hate him during that arc.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehipkid said:

Meh, I like the story a lot, but you can have your own opinion. If I were to get back at you I'd say Red Son, but I only watched the motion comic, so I am not sure how or if it differs from the original story. It was kinda a bore though.

I said liked it but if people usually rate it a 10 or 9 I rate it a 7 or 8. As for the Red Sun remark I'd normally make someone suffer for such heresy but since you're a friend I'll make your death quick and painless.

The ironic part is Mark Milller got me into comics with Kick Ass and wrote Red Son which is my all time favorite Superman/Lex Luthor story.

Also Unchained 6 was pretty good, but I'll agree, Unchained in all hasn't been great.

This comment also saves you from my wrath.

@potato said:

This thread got necroed after a 3 year wait... what a shocker...

I was going to create a thread but then people s**t on you if it already exists so I googled it cus I knew that this thread would have to exist.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ohh, as someone mentioned, Superman: Unchained is sorely overrated.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Also Superior Spider-Man will always be overrated so long as it gets even a crumble of praise.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SaintWildcard

Also Superior Spider-Man will always be overrated so long as it gets even a crumble of praise.

I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed it.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By DarthAznable

Did someone say Final Crisis? I've heard people say they don't like it.

I didn't like Crisis on Infinite Earths though.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jwalser3
_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing Joke.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#88  Edited By Bierschneeman

Hawkguy...name a story

I was considering All Star Batman and Robin... I have only met one person who loves it, and one is enough to make it overrated. (its that bad.)

PS. Long Halloween. I really enjoyed the crap out of it, BUT...not as much as I keep getting told I should. its good, not "SUPREMELY AWESOME AMAZING" like it is usually hyped. And watchmen, one of a very few selection of Movies that were SOOO much better than the source material. and the movie wasn't super amazing-awesomesauce.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Crisis

Definitely. It just felt like one big jumbled mess to me, where they were trying to work with too much at one time in the story or stories.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: The Long Halloween, and Maximum Carnage.

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it was infinite crisis, I felt that it was unnecessary and ruined the ending of the original.

Also the original crisis was not drawn out and should have ended with the specter and anti monitor fight.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

For me:

-Scott Snyder's Batman

-Geoff Johns Justice League

-Geoff Johns Superman

-Geoff Johns Green Lantern is probably my least favorite comic run.

-Superman Red Son

-Kingdom Come

Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In recent reading, Batman R.I.P. I kept seeing people talk about this like it was the definitive Batman story for all time, but all I found was another jumbled Morrison mess. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that Morrison's style simply appeals to some people; he's technically competent and is very good at stringing words together to make things sound profound and evocative. But to me, it all feels like mostly smoke an mirrors; there is some meaning (he's not actually terrible), but it isn't anything like the kind of depth some of his fans think is there. Final Crisis definitely falls into the same category, as well as Return of Bruce Wayne and some others I've read.

Identity Crisis is another. A lot of people seem to think it is great. I think it might also be because it was well written from a technical standpoint (also, the art was pretty good, as I recall). Plot wise though... ugh. I mean, throwing gratuitous rape into a story is always problematic. Compounding that with multiple pointless character deaths just to increase the overall level of suffering for everybody doesn't help. The whole story is set up as a murder mystery, but ultimately the reasons for why no one could solve it until the very end do not hold up even remotely. It also gave us the moronic scene of Deathstroke being able to manhandle the Flash and Green Lantern together, along with several other JLA members.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By M3th

For me, Battle of tHe Cowl. It didn't reacH tHe Hype I kept Hearing about. I Haven't read any otHer legendary stories tHat failed to reached tHeir Hype.

-ABstract4$$#073-

Master-Danny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Master-Danny
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom Come was a masterpiece.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I think I can give an honest answer now: TDKR and Batman: Year One.

Master-Danny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Master-Danny

I forgot this one.

No Caption Provided

Master-Danny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez120 said:

Kingdom Come was a masterpiece.

Nobody here is denying, but in many circles it is quite overrated.

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe.