#1 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

I seriously don't know. Is Manga a Comic based off of a Video Game or TV show? Or is it more than that. Sorry, I just don't know.

#2 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga is the Japanese equivalent to comic books. The main difference is that they are usually not in color and are read from right to left instead of left to right. Also, the content is different. We usually have stories about superheroes where most of their stories take place in a very perverted high school.

#3 Posted by Ms. Omega (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobiwankenobi: @Superguy0009e said:

Manga is the Japanese equivalent to comic books. The main difference is that they are usually not in color and are read from right to left instead of left to right. Also, the content is different. We usually have stories about superheroes where most of their stories take place in a very perverted high school.

Some take place their some dont really depends on what type of stuff you are into I like more action based manga like Yu Yu Hakusho , S-Cry-ed. Now on the other side of that coin is hentai which is read at your own risk thoes are the ones that creep me out.

#4 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

What about like DBZ, Zelda, or Pokemon Manga then? Are there Comic Book equivalents?

#5 Posted by CptPanda29 (211 posts) - - Show Bio

It's basicly Japanese comics, but it's mainstream audience is... broader.

Physically yeah its reverse read and almost always black and white - mostly done by a very small team, but any given subject will find a sizable audience. But you'll find as many readers for your kooky high school banality fest as you will over the top madness like Dragonball.

#6 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7680 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e said:

#7 Posted by xxYoungFatexx (99 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga is much different from just having opposite coloring or method of reading – right to left instead of the traditional American way. It incorporates a vast amount of cultural references, generalizations, stereotypes, and ideologies. The most significant difference is that Manga tends to have one writer/ artist or one writer and artist instead of a team or changing artist/writer every month or week. In addition, the way Manga is drawn allows them to easily take the pictures and animate them far easier than comic book art. Unlike mainstream comic books, there is a huge variety of stuff. Moreover, Manga tends to be put out on a weekly basis, sometimes all together in a magazine. This is the reason why many websites have free manga stuff. In addition, Manga utilizes more episodic like chapters or issues than classic comic books. They tend to have everything lead toward a definite ending, plus a sequel or alternate endings, etc.

If you mean the difference as in shopping or advertising wise, Manga is a cultural phenomenon in Japan, maybe coming around the world. Unlike Comic books, you can find Manga specific stores almost in every large city, practically everywhere. In addition, Manga has better advertisement and merchandise marketing, in my opinion as of right now. It goes pass t-shirts and toys into food, medicine, etc.

Before I forget to mention this, your average comic book tends to be longer, takes longer to read. Manga heavily decompressed style includes several cliffhangers and what not. But don’t get me wrong, Comic books are usually much better decompressed.

Very Successful Mangaka, the terminology for a Manga creator, tends to have a higher wage too I think. Here is a list of the top earning ones, which I think are much higher due to them earning stuff through a royalty system far better than America’s.

“Manga information magazine Comic Fan vol.16 has printed a list of the highest paid manga creators in Japan:

Tax amount (estimated income in parenthesis) in millions of yen

Takahashi Rumiko 225.36 (616)

Aoyama Takemasa 162.34 (446)

Kurumada Masami 84.12 (234)

Akimoto Osamu 50.03 (142)

Akatsuka Fujio 47.67 (136)

Urasawa Naoki 44.54 (127)

Yokoyama Mitsuki 36.21 (105)

Miyazaki Hayao 31.82 (93)

Yanase Takashi 29.28 (86)

Miyashita Akira 28.47 (84)

Kawahara Masatoshi 28.47 (84)

Mizushima Shinji 28.16 (83)

Umezawa Yukari 20.48 (62)

Hirogane Kenshi 19.31 (59)

Adachi Mitsuru 19.12 (59)

Yaku Mitsuru 13.39 (43)

Kawaguchi Kaiji 12.53 (41)”

#8 Posted by Twentyfive (2747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e said:

Don't you just love it when someone tells the truth? Also, comics tell wider ranges of stories.

#9 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks everybody.

#10 Edited by Killer_of_trolls (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

@Superguy0009e said:

Don't you just love it when someone tells the truth? Also, comics tell wider ranges of stories.

truth? this just shows that guy only knows one or two animes. there are millions of anime/manga that aren't perverted and have nothing to do with high schools, nor superheroes.

they both have the same width in stories, smart-ass, but western comics tend to be more associated with superheros(stereotypically). there animes about everyday-life, horror animes, historical animes, magic........... etc they can have anything, and as far as I know more genres currently than what mainstream-showing in western comics.

@xxYoungFatexx said:

Manga is much different from just having opposite coloring or method of reading – right to left instead of the traditional American way. It incorporates a vast amount of cultural references, generalizations, stereotypes, and ideologies. The most significant difference is that Manga tends to have one writer/ artist or one writer and artist instead of a team or changing artist/writer every month or week. In addition, the way Manga is drawn allows them to easily take the pictures and animate them far easier than comic book art. Unlike mainstream comic books, there is a huge variety of stuff. Moreover, Manga tends to be put out on a weekly basis, sometimes all together in a magazine. This is the reason why many websites have free manga stuff. In addition, Manga utilizes more episodic like chapters or issues than classic comic books. They tend to have everything lead toward a definite ending, plus a sequel or alternate endings, etc.

If you mean the difference as in shopping or advertising wise, Manga is a cultural phenomenon in Japan, maybe coming around the world. Unlike Comic books, you can find Manga specific stores almost in every large city, practically everywhere. In addition, Manga has better advertisement and merchandise marketing, in my opinion as of right now. It goes pass t-shirts and toys into food, medicine, etc.

Before I forget to mention this, your average comic book tends to be longer, takes longer to read. Manga heavily decompressed style includes several cliffhangers and what not. But don’t get me wrong, Comic books are usually much better decompressed.

Very Successful Mangaka, the terminology for a Manga creator, tends to have a higher wage too I think. Here is a list of the top earning ones, which I think are much higher due to them earning stuff through a royalty system far better than America’s.

“Manga information magazine Comic Fan vol.16 has printed a list of the highest paid manga creators in Japan:

Tax amount (estimated income in parenthesis) in millions of yen

Takahashi Rumiko 225.36 (616)

Aoyama Takemasa 162.34 (446)

Kurumada Masami 84.12 (234)

Akimoto Osamu 50.03 (142)

Akatsuka Fujio 47.67 (136)

Urasawa Naoki 44.54 (127)

Yokoyama Mitsuki 36.21 (105)

Miyazaki Hayao 31.82 (93)

Yanase Takashi 29.28 (86)

Miyashita Akira 28.47 (84)

Kawahara Masatoshi 28.47 (84)

Mizushima Shinji 28.16 (83)

Umezawa Yukari 20.48 (62)

Hirogane Kenshi 19.31 (59)

Adachi Mitsuru 19.12 (59)

Yaku Mitsuru 13.39 (43)

Kawaguchi Kaiji 12.53 (41)”

this pretty much sums it up.

#11 Posted by Twentyfive (2747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killer_of_trolls: Did you really feel the need to call me a smart ass? What did I do to you?

Jesus Christ!

#12 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh! manga but is the Japanese version of Comic

#13 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxYoungFatexx said:

In addition, the way Manga is drawn allows them to easily take the pictures and animate them far easier than comic book art.

Really? I've never heard that, how do they do it?

#14 Posted by ogarza (124 posts) - - Show Bio

What is it with Manga and staring contests? I swear some mangas have like 5 pages worth of two people just staring at each other.

Oh and Manga actually means Comic. Like for example, when some one says Manga Comic, they're just saying Comic Comic.

#15 Posted by Killer_of_trolls (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive: wait, smart-ass is an insult? hmm, ok sorry, thought you were just hatin on manga. but, my comment was more addressing to this guy's point @CptPanda29:

#16 Posted by MagnusPete (11 posts) - - Show Bio

so there is no consensus?

#17 Edited by xxYoungFatexx (99 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jotham said:

@xxYoungFatexx said:

In addition, the way Manga is drawn allows them to easily take the pictures and animate them far easier than comic book art.

Really? I've never heard that, how do they do it?

It is more so because Manga uses action-to-action style panel more often than American comics do. Therefore, the animation studio can take the panels and frankly, use it as it is and then add some things. In addition, you could argue the simplicity of some the characters design cut animation time.

#18 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

They're pretty much pictures with words.

After that, there's the culture difference between books.Manga tends to be black and white.

#19 Posted by terry2012 (4757 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e:

@Ms. Omega: Said:

#20 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7616 posts) - - Show Bio

In Comics i don't have to adjust my eyes and reconfigure my mental state to reading backwards

#21 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19889 posts) - - Show Bio

Different art style, how you read it, and general content. ( you don't see guys in spandex in manga )

#22 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxYoungFatexx: Interesting, thanks for the info.

#23 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

It is wall we made that was need since there barrier that need translation with their culture. We had to read book to get their references. I want to break that wall but it has to be done slowly. This wall may make things easier to categorize, but limits both western and eastern.

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: you do know that is stereotyping.