What is the biggest wasted opportunity in comics ?

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

?

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos had the Infinity Gauntlet and all the gems making him an unstoppable God.

And what does he do? He uses his power to become one with the universe, leaving his physical form behind giving Nebula a chance to grab the Infinity Gauntlet off him.

Come on really? The guy killed half the entire universe with the snap of his fingers, and still lost.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Characters wasting opportunities or stories with wasted opportunities?

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I wouldn't say it's the biggest, but it really annoyed me in death of the family nobody died, then they killed damian wayne, like a week later

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night4345: stories with wasted opportunities/ wasted opportunity to do something with a character.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've said this before Superman: Grounded was a wasted opportunity to explore the aftermath of World of New Krypton and War of the Supermen.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC completly ignoring the Flashs potential at the B.O. He should have lead the charge to the DCCU. But DC choose to go with GL. Everyone likes the Flash and he has a more grounded personality kinda like Starks that would have help off set the more cliche personalitys of the rest of the JL. But know its to late. QSs multiple film apperances first with one of those being the 1.8bil grossing A2 will forever hurt his character. way to botch s*** DC.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bringing back Wally West could have been a bigger deal. *shrug* I'm a little biased though.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogueshadow  Moderator

Lack of blowjobs.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bringing back Wally West could have been a bigger deal. *shrug* I'm a little biased though.

Appzashok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doomsday shoulda killed Clark permanently. Lol

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Battle of The Atom- good ideas, bad writer

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Kidd

Thanos had the Infinity Gauntlet and all the gems making him an unstoppable God.

And what does he do? He uses his power to become one with the universe, leaving his physical form behind giving Nebula a chance to grab the Infinity Gauntlet off him.

Come on really? The guy killed half the entire universe with the snap of his fingers, and still lost.

Maybe Thanos have Psychological blocks.

No Caption Provided

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Wally West, Donna Troy, and Garth in the New 52. They could've used the reboot as an opportunity to give Donna Troy a definite origin since they aren't keeping Teen Titans history and taking away Wonder Woman's. Both the Teen Titans and Wonder Woman histories got rebooted. Donna Troy could've easily been inserted since the beginning. Though I don't think it is to late to still do something good with Donna.

With Garth I think they should jsut use him already. He has already been referenced and now that Aquaman is now more respected and popular they could've used this opportunity to give the old Aqualad respect. Really I think I'm just more pissed that we haven't seen him yet.

With Wally they could have just had him go into his own Nightwing like persona. Would it suck that what made Wally so cool (a sidekick filling in his mentor's shoes)? Yeah, though at least we wouldn't have a totally altered take on Wally.

Really I think the whole Teen Titans idea of the New 52 was a missed oppurtunity. It was a chance to make the Titans more like the ones that have became so popular in other media and not really have to worry about their histories though instead we got an incredibly altered and terribly written Young Justice and the Titans everyone loves going in different directions. Cyborg is with the JL, Starfire is taking work as the Outlaws sex doll, Nightwing life has been utterly taken away from him, Raven & Beast Boy still associate with each other (which is good), Donna might be suicidal, Roy is kinda ruined and kinda fixed (which is kinda good), Garth is now only being referenced on occassions, Wally is now a black kid who is around the same age as Damian Wayne, Jericho is dead, and Terra kinda just faded away.

They could've had a cool thing going on with a book called the Titans for all the sidekicks and younger characters that are grown up and Young Justice for the current sidekicks. Kinda like what they did at the end of the 90's and early 2000's.

Something else DC missed out on is Artemis. They introduced and killed her within a number of pages in the book.

Pretty much anything Titan related in the New 52.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: yeah that never made any sense to me, you have a popular character from a recent show that you could use to sell comics..but no lol lets kill her off.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

In my honest opinion, the. New 52 has been the most wasted opportunity in comics.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jeepeh

Giselle vs Rukia. Giselle's entire power is to let you cut her so she gets her blood on you, which turns you into her zombies. But Rukia's power was to lower her own Body temperature, even to absolute 0, and was specifically shown to be able to cut people and have them not bleed because it froze the blood vessels. They were even in a group vs group clash. Yet they didn't get put together. Why not? It'd have been funny.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By amazing_webhead

Not having Tim Drake go on a vengeful "The Night Gwen Stacy Died"-esque rampage against Black Mask for killing Stephanie Brown. That bugged the HELL outta me as a kid! And they didn't even try to fix it in Arkham City. (That time it felt almost deliberate!)

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@sog7dc: Same. There is some really cool stuff they could do that goes beyond what I said about the Titans.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doomsday shoulda killed Clark permanently. Lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

They're not the biggest wasted opportunities, but I really, really think that Onslaught was handled terribly, as was the whole thing with the Twelve (points to anyone who knows what I'm talking about).

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Metal Men, Legion of Superheroes, Doom Patrol, Blue Beetle and many more interesting characters that DC doesn't explore a lot more. Yes Metal Men, Legion of Superheroes and Doom Patrol have couple really good story like for example Geoff Johns Superman and Legion of Superheroes, Justice League Metal Men Forever Evil Tie in , Grant Morrison Doom Patrol but seems like DC doesn't explore more

Hollow_Point

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not cashing in John Stewart's popularity in Comic books, DC could'v make him big, messing up the GL movie, not making a Flash, Shazam, WW, Aquaman, Batman/Superman and JL movie sooner.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sog7dc said:

In my honest opinion, the. New 52 has been the most wasted opportunity in comics.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Most wasted opportunities come from fans

Avatar image for darthdestructor
DarthDestructor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aftermath of the Civil War. This series was something new and exciting. Cap dead, Iron Man becoming a dictator, and Spidey unmasked. It would give us many new interesting stories with unexpected takes of the characters.

Instead - let's reverse everything!

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, DOTF. They should have killed off Damien.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthdestructor: I think the Main problem is that Comic Book Companies hate CHANGE.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel: Cancelling NEXTWAVE and not keeping Grant Morrison around

DC: Handing Dan Didio a pink slip with a big middle finger drawn on it by Jim Lee

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@squares: Are you referring to X-Men: Onslaught and Apocalypse: The Twelve? I haven't read either.

I personally think the Ultimate universe is a wasted opportunity. Ultimatum damaged the Ultimate universe and prevented it from reaching its full potential. With that in mind, though, I can't help but feel there are still some good stories that could be told if better writers were involved. At least we've still got Ultimate Spider-Man.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

Burrrrnnnnn

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@ryagan: Yes and yes.

While I agree the Ultimate universe was a wasted opportunity, I don't really see any further potential in it.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cream_God

Ghost Rider has had a lot of weak plot lines :/ which sucks because he is a awesome character

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman Grounded & Dark Knight Strikes Again

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

DC

* Not making Captain Atom the bad guy during DC's Armageddon 2001

* Making Hal Jordan just the host for Parallax instead of just letting him naturally go bad

* Killing off Lian Harper

Marvel

* Keeping Peter Parker's ghost around to bug Dr Octopus as he was being Spider-Man. Should've just let him be the superior Spider-Man

* Keeping Aunt May alive

* Not sticking to the "No More Mutants" allowing certain ones to keep their powers for no real reason other than they were X-Men

NaveTorment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By NaveTorment

I'd say there are two: First off, DC Comics should've went with the Modern-Age full-on instead of attempting a reboot back in '86 -- they should've continued the storylines that happened in the next 20 something years with Frank Miller's old-man Bruce Wayne. This would've actually propelled Carrie Kelley into the same level as Tim Drake in terms of popularity, and it would've been a much, much grittier universe that they could've dealt with. But most importantly, it would've been an ORIGINAL and FRESH and CONTINUOUS universe to deal with. I mean, we already had solo-Nightwing ventures, NML, and Knightfall, all of which could've meshed well within the continuity of DKR, culminating in Kingdom Come. I call this a wasted opportunity because then it would, for the first time, allow us to accept that our superheroes can grow old. Batman Beyond was ample evidence that an audience was willing to give a new Batman his fair chance, provided that the stories weren't as cynical to change as Knightfall was (Knightfall always felt like something temporary, but Batman Beyond assumed its permanence). For a continuity from that point on, it would've been able to use the conclusion to Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and build off from there, establishing a Green Lantern Corps rather than a single GL and allowing the Teen Titans/Flash to exist in a world that's entirely new (since Bruce Wayne is simply Old-Batman at that point and not yet Batman Beyond until 1999 or New-52).

The second missed chance was with Wonder Woman. And it's something that DC misses time and time again. They simply can't make a decision as to what they want to do with the character.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@navetorment: i feel like wonder woman would be top tier if she had a good live action movie out.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onslaught. All these characters should have stayed dead.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@sog7dc said:

Um... kinda?

Although Night of Owls is friggin awesome! XD.

- TAS