Posted by thedarkknight9283 (61 posts) 11 months, 3 days ago

Poll: What is the Best Batman Movie? (68 votes)

Batman (1966) 3%
Batman (1989) 6%
Batman Returns (1992) 4%
Batman Forever (1995) 1%
Batman & Robin (1997) 0%
Batman Begins (2005) 16%
The Dark Knight (2008) 59%
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 10%
#1 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4226 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, Batman Begins.

#2 Posted by NukeA6 (462 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight was the very first movie I ever applauded to and it was the best superhero movie until the Avengers. Still the best Batman movie and that version of Joker is still memed and popularized.

#3 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21297 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by russellmania77 (14820 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight

#5 Edited by TheCannon (18249 posts) - - Show Bio

Rises by far.

#6 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6092 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. The Dark Knight
  2. Batman Begins
  3. Batman 1989
  4. The Dark Knight Rises
  5. Batman Returns
#7 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight

#8 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK followed by Begins

#9 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is currently the best.

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (82592 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Begins.

#11 Posted by opticblast98 (183 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK IS DA BEST BATMAN AND COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL TIME!

#12 Posted by CheeseSticks (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight and Batman Begins

#13 Posted by GeekBait (779 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Dark Knight but I'm kind of torn on whether I like DK or Batman Begins more.

#14 Posted by Cap10nate (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

It's TDK, Begins, and then '89 for me. I wasn't a fan of Rises at all.

#16 Posted by Smallville2106 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight, then Batman Begins and then the '89 Batman, then Dark Knight Rises.

#17 Edited by silent_bomber (1584 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Batman Returns
  2. Batman 89'
  3. Dark Knight
  4. Begins
  5. ----Big Gap----
  6. Rises
  7. Batman and Robin (I prefer Arnie hamming it up to Jim Carrey)
  8. Batman Forever
#18 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a tough call. The Burton films are good, but they aren't really about Batman. The Schumacher films are not good.

Batman Begins feels like it takes a long time to get anywhere. The Dark Knight seems to be more of a morality driven, crime thriller than a Batman movie, and the Dark Knight Rises is a messy movie in itself. Not that they are bad, just that they don't feel like Batman from the comics

I think the animated movies are better Batman films (Under the Red Hood, The Dark Knight Returns etc.)

#19 Edited by silent_bomber (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve said:

Its a tough call. The Burton films are good, but they aren't really about Batman.

I felt this way too up until a few days ago, but after Googling a lot of stuff its turns out that its not so cut and dry.

Some things I didn't realise for instance were that Catwoman's original origin was that she was a normal woman who accidentally smacked her head hard and had a complete personality change as a result, and there's a Penguin story where he straps rockets to penguin's backs (albeit they're duds in this story), Penguin running for mayor is an homage of one of the Adam West episodes.

Batman 89 is actually very, very accurate, but its almost wholly based on Golden Age Batman from the 40s, the only major change they actually made was to merge the Joker origin with Batman's (which the writer later said was done against his will when he was absent), everything else actually follows the first 40 issues quite closely at times.

An argument can be made that

Tim Burton Batman = Golden Age Batman

Batman and Robin = 1960s Batman

Batman Forever = 1970s Batman

Nolan Batman = Contemporary Batman (mainly Jeph Loeb + early Frank Millar)

#20 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve said:

Its a tough call. The Burton films are good, but they aren't really about Batman.

I felt this way too up until a few days ago, but after Googling a lot of stuff its turns out that its not so cut and dry.

Some things I didn't realise for instance were that Catwoman's original origin was that she was a normal woman who accidentally smacked her head hard and had a complete personality change as a result, and there's a Penguin story where he straps rockets to penguin's backs (albeit they're duds in this story), Penguin running for mayor is an homage of one of the Adam West episodes.

Batman 89 is actually very, very accurate, but its almost wholly based on Golden Age Batman from the 40s, the only major change they actually made was to merge the Joker origin with Batman's (which the writer later said was done against his will when he was absent), everything else actually follows the first 40 issues quite closely at times

Thats good to know. Thanks.

Although I was talking about the movies themselves. The plot and focus of Burtons movies seem to be more about the villains and their interactions and performances than the character of Batman.

#21 Posted by silent_bomber (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber said:

@emequious_swerve said:

Batman 89 is actually very, very accurate, but its almost wholly based on Golden Age Batman from the 40s, the only major change they actually made was to merge the Joker origin with Batman's (which the writer later said was done against his will when he was absent), everything else actually follows the first 40 issues quite closely at times

That's good to know. Thanks.

Although I was talking about the movies themselves. The plot and focus of Burtons movies seem to be more about the villains and their interactions and performances than the character of Batman.

Ah ok, I get what you're saying.

For me personally Burton has enough Bruce/Batman scenes, but I can't deny that he puts more focus on the villains.

#22 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5710 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything Batman with Adam West.

#23 Posted by The Stegman (23742 posts) - - Show Bio

Usually I respect others' opinions, but if you don't say The Dark Knight, you're wrong.

#24 Posted by Wolverine08 (40519 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Begins.

#25 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16185 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight by a landslide IMO.

#26 Posted by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Mask of the Phantasm

#27 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Begins.

TDK is a better film I will concede, but I'm picking Begins as a specifically Batman-centric film. It's the best Batman specific film as it did more for the character than any of the others.

#28 Posted by MonsterStomp (16671 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight.

#29 Posted by cameron83 (7117 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK

#30 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21297 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by PowerHerc (82592 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Bierschneeman (3928 posts) - - Show Bio

ew!,

who voted for Batman 1966?

must be a Batman Hater

#33 Posted by RetconCrisis (3633 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Robin.... JK

Don't clobber me with blunt sticks...

Batman Begins first, '89 and The Dark Knight tie for second. Rises gets the bronze.

#34 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7398 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Dark Knight/Batman Begins, both are really good and I fluctuate over which I like more
  2. Batman 1989
  3. Batman Forever - I'm sure someone will laugh at this but damn it I loved Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face
  4. Dark Knight Rises
  5. Batman and Robin

#36 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21297 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: oh I am terribly sorry. You sir are awesome.

#37 Posted by JediXMan (30178 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight.

Moderator Online
#38 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

Easily The Dark Knight,

#39 Posted by RustyRoy (11845 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Batman Begins
  3. Batman 1989
  4. The Dark Knight Rises
  5. Batman Returns

#40 Posted by leonkarlen123 (4244 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman begins. The Dark knight comes second after a very close encounter.

I love The Joker and Scarecrow. They are awesome and creepy sometimes and i wish they make a movie where they meet and fight against each ever. I like Two face and Bane aswell

#41 Posted by Jokerpoker (2946 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK ftw.

#42 Edited by CF12793 (2991 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:
  1. The Dark Knight
  2. Batman Begins
  3. Batman 1989
  4. The Dark Knight Rises
  5. Batman Returns

This but I'd switch Returns and Rises around. They're close for me.

#43 Posted by Wolverine08 (40519 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Begins.

#44 Posted by CF12793 (2991 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve said:

Batman 89 is actually very, very accurate, but its almost wholly based on Golden Age Batman from the 40s, the only major change they actually made was to merge the Joker origin with Batman's (which the writer later said was done against his will when he was absent), everything else actually follows the first 40 issues quite closely at times.

An argument can be made that

Tim Burton Batman = Golden Age Batman

Batman and Robin = 1960s Batman

Batman Forever = 1970s Batman

Nolan Batman = Contemporary Batman (mainly Jeph Loeb + early Frank Millar)

You know I never made that connection, but you're quite right. The way the characters interact with eachother, the way Batman kills, the enemies he fights..... it's all very similar to the early Batman comics. I've only ever read 2 Batman comics from the 40's, but thinking about it now they weren't dissimilar from the '89 film.

I wonder if that was a decision Tim Burton consciously made. He said he didn't really read that many Batman comics, but he was probably given a bunch of them from DC.

#45 Posted by ganon15 (1444 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6347 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight Rises is the only Batman film among my favorite movies of all time.

#47 Posted by sinestro_GL (3121 posts) - - Show Bio

It's unfair.

All movies had different interpretations to the franchise that were good.

Batman '66: It was the prevailing representation of comics at the time, so don't complain! I've always admired how they portrayed the Batman/Robin dynamic

Burton Films: Burton was masterful in his portrayal of Gotham, and Danny Elfman's music is just mesmerizing. Also, I think the Burton Joker and Catwoman were better than the Nolan films. Batmobiles were also the best, as well as the Batsuit.

Schumacher Films: Apart from the beautiful score...nothing really.

Nolan Films: Responsible for the more compelling stories in the Batman movie-verse. Strong supporting characters.