Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Now maybe I'll be wrong, but imo, Iron Man 3 may finally give us something the other 2 movies didn't. An real Super Villain.

As successful as the Iron Man franchise has been - thanks to RDJ - the villains thus far have been weak. I'm not saying they are bad - but their big screen debuts didn't leave a strong impression on movie goers did it? Its unlikely that they left Iron Man 1 & 2 talking about who Iron Man faced. But since those movies were so Tony-centric (origin and legacy), it's not their fault entirely. Hopefully Marvel Studios will do right by IM's arch nemesis (good job so far ^_^) cause they kinda dropped the ball on the last one.

"The last one" being the Red Skull, who's part/portrayal in Captain America TFA left something to be desired (imo). It would have been great if he got the same TLC that Loki did - which was easier since he's Thor's brother.......aaaaand the main villain in Avengers.

Still, Marvel Studios movies need to do right by all of their villains in "Phase 2", they need to be stronger in every way. Selling them to the public is important too is it not?

The Mandarin looks and sounds GREAT so far, but he's gotta deliver.

#1 Posted by RoboShark (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Rourke in IM2.

#2 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

The final battle with IM and WM vs. Rourke was too short and sucked.

I want more epic battles.

#3 Posted by The Stegman (25984 posts) - - Show Bio

The first Iron Man was a near perfect movie IMO and I don't think Iron Man 3 can top it...2 sure didn't. 

#4 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

"Mandarin" (whose name is derived from a collection of Chinese dialects) is played by an Anglo-Indian... Gotta love Hollywood! Nyahahaha!

Anyway, I don't really expect it to be better than IM1 or 2... I just hope they give the "Mandarin" some justice and make him really badass.

#5 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

The first Iron Man was a near perfect movie IMO and I don't think Iron Man 3 can top it...2 sure didn't.

Well you're probably right about that. Still it would be nice to have at least one memorable villain from these Iron Man films right?

#6 Posted by War Killer (20291 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favorite parts about IM1 was seeing Tony in his workshop working on and upgrading his armor, I haven't watched the trailer (so please no one spoil anything for me, please) but I hope and assume, from a few images I have seen already, we'll get more of that in IM3.

As for villains, I really wish Living Laser and Spymaster would have been the villains in the movie, Living Laser would make for some awesome special effects and for two or three fights in the film while Spymaster would focus on the fact that, while yes he is an Avenger, Tony's still a business man and has enemies who want to bury his company, plus it would give someone for Pepper and War Machine to deal with instead of standing around waiting for Tony to stop the bad guy.

#7 Posted by PurpleCandy (791 posts) - - Show Bio

Dont read the Iron Man comics, but in the 90s cartoon Mandarin was amazing. He's cunning, sinister, yet elegant. But IM3's Mandarin seems nothing like that, he just seems like another terrorist, basically Ivan Drakov but w/o the suit (yet an entire army). I get the feeling I won't like Iron Man 3, I had high hopes before seeing the trailer. Ben Kingsley is a good actor, but whoever is directing isn't doing justice.

#8 Posted by The Stegman (25984 posts) - - Show Bio
@DMC:  

@The Stegman said:

Well you're probably right about that. Still it would be nice to have at least one memorable villain from these Iron Man films right?

Besides Mandarin, does Iron Man even have any memorable villains? 
#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17965 posts) - - Show Bio

I expect the film to easily trump the second, even though it's not as bad as everyone made it out to be. Can it out-do the first film? With such little footage, I'd say that with the change of tone that the film has taken, they're definitely trying to.

#10 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

Sir Ben Kingsley's talent>Mickey Rourke's HGH and coke

#11 Posted by War Killer (20291 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
@DMC:  

@The Stegman said:

Besides Mandarin, does Iron Man even have any memorable villains? 
Living Laser, Ghost, Crimson Dynamo, Titanium Man, A.I.M., Spymaster, Blizzard, and The Controller to name a few.

Sure, some might not think of them as "great villains" but, with the right modern take, every one of those villains I just listed could be major threats in the Marvel Universe and to Iron Man; I would dare say even on the level of Spider-Man's rogues gallery. Personally I feel Living Laser should be a huge threat to Iron Man, same with the Ghost. The problem is that Marvel hasn't tried to really modernize them in a way that would make them both deadly and cool villains. I mean just look at Whiplash, Marvel modernized him for the movie and in the comics he went from a leather clad villain with a whip to an armored warrior with energy whips that could slice through Tony's suit easily.
#12 Edited by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@DMC:

@The Stegman said:

Besides Mandarin, does Iron Man even have any memorable villains?

Well, there is the Crimson Dynamo, Living Lazer, The Ghost (ex Thunderbolts member) and Madame Mask.

At least they are more visually striking villains that could leave a better impression on the audience than Obadiah Stane/Iron Monger or Justine Hammer. How central they are to the story and what kind of threat they would pose would be up to Marvel Studios.

#13 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: don't forget Madam Mask

#14 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7956 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always enjoyed IM2, never understood where the level of hate it gets comes from, yeah sure its not perfect but there are a hell of a lot worse films out there.

#15 Edited by krilling (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Monger fixed very well as the villain of the first flick. Tony creates the armour, Obidiah wants it and he led his scintists start to make a better armour with the rests of the prototype.  
Kingsley as the Mandarin sounds good. But looks sh*tty. Besides I'm not a friend of western's stereotypical and prejudiced super villains.

#16 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

If we can have the seriousness of the first and the action of the second, I think it will be more than good enough to be called an iron man sequel

#17 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I expect this to best all the Iron Man movies...they finally have a villain worth watching.

#18 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

The villains being weak is about 80% the fault of the comics.

Iron Man's villains just suck.

Like, REALLY suck.

Although they did a damn good job on Obadiah Stane. Whiplash was just okay. Hammer was... Hammer.

#19 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

@krilling said:

Iron Monger fixed very well as the villain of the first flick. Tony creates the armour, Obidiah wants it and he led his scintists start to make a better armour with the rests of the prototype. Kingsley as the Mandarin sounds good. But looks sh*tty. Besides I'm not a friend of western's stereotypical and prejudiced super villains.

I'll agree that Iron Monger had to be done.

Oh and those stereotypical/prejudiced super villains. Any examples?

#20 Posted by Tony_Shark (489 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

Like, REALLY suck.

Although they did a damn good job on Obadiah Stane. Whiplash was just okay. Hammer was... Hammer.

Not really. Have you been reading IM recently? Shit got pretty real for Tony.

Zeke Stane and Mandarin are probably his best villians.

#21 Posted by PurpleCandy (791 posts) - - Show Bio

@DMC said:

@krilling said:

Iron Monger fixed very well as the villain of the first flick. Tony creates the armour, Obidiah wants it and he led his scintists start to make a better armour with the rests of the prototype. Kingsley as the Mandarin sounds good. But looks sh*tty. Besides I'm not a friend of western's stereotypical and prejudiced super villains.

I'll agree that Iron Monger had to be done.

Oh and those stereotypical/prejudiced super villains. Any examples?

Vanko is a stereotypical anti-america ex-Soviet villain

#22 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tony_Shark said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Like, REALLY suck.

Not really. Have you been reading IM recently? Shit got pretty real for Tony.

Zeke Stane and Mandarin are probably his best villians.

Fraction's run has done a damn good job with his villains. So that's pretty much the exception to the rule.

Any other person who uses Iron Man villains makes up a new version of an old one (which is why we have like, 12 Crimson Dynamos).

#23 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Been saying it all along, IM needs to be illegitimately challenged. Stane couldn't even beat Tony when his suit was low on power, and the battle with Whiplash was short, boring, and not a real threat to Tony. I get that the movies are about his character ad the growth he shows, but get someone to make him think.

#24 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

Like, REALLY suck.

I agree

With Iron Man being a "businessman super-hero" it makes sense than many of his adversaries would be business rivals and such. So you can't really fault a chunk of his rouges for being just that. Still I think many of the villains already in his gallery are pretty good or have the potential to be better villains given time and the right writer.

#25 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

..nobody noticed that they white-washed the Mandarin?

#26 Posted by Agypt2020 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you and want to see those alien rings in action against Iron Man, make each attack a vulnerability to Tony (i.e. mind control). Also a worthy henchman for War Machine, such as Radioactive Man? Or even the Masters of Silence?