#1 Edited by Enzeru--defunct (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

... lasted for an entire issue?

Would you like that? We all know how unsatisfying some of the fights in comic books can be from time to time. The fight gets teased and one month later you see it happening and two pages later it's already over and it's as anti-climactic as it gets.

What if they dedicated at least half of a comic for regular fights and entire issues for fights between power-houses with a great power-set versatility?
I think that Marvel and DC often try to go with a stalemate to not upset fans of certain characters, but I wouldn't care all too much about it, if I would get to see some nice fights.
I would also be willing to pay good money to see something like that. Even for books I'm not really reading, but if I know that there is an upcoming fight between two characters I know and find somewhat interesting, I would buy it to have that said battle.
In a way it would be like the death of a character or something like that, which always seems to raise the sales.

So, what do you think?
Would you like to see entire comic book issues dedicates to big fights between characters? Or is it just fine as it is now?
Do you think that something like that would even have a chance, or would it be too expensive for them, since they would have to pay the artists for 22-24 more pages, which would not necessarily lead anywhere story-wise?

#2 Edited by ShadowX (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel tried that during Avengers Vs. X-men. It would be intresting I guess.

#3 Posted by Spideysense44 (3654 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the hero and villan

#4 Posted by JohnnyGat (1592 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on how the writer and the artist make the fight scene varied enough as well as visually interesting and not just panel by panel combat.

#5 Posted by Enzeru--defunct (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump!

#6 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6489 posts) - - Show Bio

I much prefer plot and character development to fighting.

#7 Posted by JediXMan (32048 posts) - - Show Bio

It's happened before, and I'm okay with that. It's only a problem when it happens often.

Climactic fights between two characters, though, can last a good while sometimes - and they should. Again, it's something that should be done sparingly.

#8 Edited by RustyRoy (14858 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Lvenger (23087 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

I much prefer plot and character development to fighting.

Seconded. All out action can't always be well written and kept interesting and developing the story enough without diving into popcorn territory.

#10 Posted by RedLantern23 (898 posts) - - Show Bio

I would hate it. Action cannot replace character development and well written plots. Its best how it is - used sparsely.

#11 Posted by sagejonathan (2193 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that plot and character development are more important, but some fights are pretty disappointing and short. I would be perfectly fine with a whole issue being a big fight as long as it's done right and they don't forget to include other elements of the story.

#12 Posted by Enzeru--defunct (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that great, extensive fights would necessarily ruin character development. They wouldn't really need to comprimize the story and their characters for longer fights.

Instead of an eight issue mini, you would get a ten issue mini, if there are 2-3 amazing fights in there.
I'm just not sure how it would turn out money-wise for the publishers. Like if it's a good or a "bad" deal and if it's worth the effort.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (23087 posts) - - Show Bio

@enzeru: I agree that some writers and series can do issue long fights along with meaningful character development. One issue that comes to mind is Hulk's fight with Skaar in an issue of Pak's run. But usually, an issue long fight can be drawn out and not beneficial as a short but sweet fight. I take it this is because you want to see an epic fight with Sentry knocking the snot out of Thor in Uncanny Avengers?

#14 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

only for an issue through.

#15 Edited by Pokeysteve (8993 posts) - - Show Bio

It can work but the fight needs to be built up in the issues before. Superman and Doomsday comes to mind.

#16 Posted by Enzeru--defunct (2969 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

I take it this is because you want to see an epic fight with Sentry knocking the snot out of Thor in Uncanny Avengers?

You got me there. I do want to see the Sentry punching the living crap out of Thor in the upcoming issue and I would like him to do it in a versatile fashion.
No no, I want to see characters like Sentry, Silver Surfer and Thor using their versatility and not just bullrush like idiots.

Most of my Comicvine time I spend in the Battle forums and theorize about fictional fights and their outcomes. Fighting games are my hobbies, I watch MMA and wrestle with my girlfriend (pun intended).
Judging by all of that one would assume that I like fights in comic books as well, but the way they are now ... it's hard to like them, man. They're over after few panels, or 2-3 pages, if we're lucky. There are way too many lackluster fights and stalemates in comics and that's a pity.

#17 Posted by Lvenger (23087 posts) - - Show Bio

@enzeru said:

You got me there. I do want to see the Sentry punching the living crap out of Thor in the upcoming issue and I would like him to do it in a versatile fashion.

No no, I want to see characters like Sentry, Silver Surfer and Thor using their versatility and not just bullrush like idiots.

Most of my Comicvine time I spend in the Battle forums and theorize about fictional fights and their outcomes. Fighting games are my hobbies, I watch MMA and wrestle with my girlfriend (pun intended).

Judging by all of that one would assume that I like fights in comic books as well, but the way they are now ... it's hard to like them, man. They're over after few panels, or 2-3 pages, if we're lucky. There are way too many lackluster fights and stalemates in comics and that's a pity.

I do agree that Thor and Surfer need to use their other abilities far more often in combat. And they do tend to bullrush. Also, with the wrestling, is your girlfriend a fellow wrestler or are you referring to the 'other' thing? ;) And some fights are like that though I was reading an issue of TMNT today that has a short but very sweet fight in it that isn't lackluster at all.

#18 Posted by Enzeru--defunct (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: The other thing. And yeah, there can be short, but still good fights, yet when it comes to big powerhouses, that's very hart to pull off IMO. TMNT have far more limitations than characters like Silver Surfer and Thor and if you see a fight, that is actually a stalemate, because Marvel doesn't want to offend / disappoint any fans, then it's still a bummer, because otherwise it could have been a kick-ass war between two powerful, versatile characters.

And I really believe that they would make good money with comics like these. For example, I'm not that big of a Justice League guy, but I would instantly buy issues with big fights in them simply for the epicness in them.