What if a writer decided to go out of his way from continuity and make your favorite character Gay?

• 110 results
kingsloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By kingsloth

@KingUranus said:

@joshuagamer said:

Superman will never be gay

even if a gay writer wants him to be gay?

no he won't, he's to valuable thats why DC has Apollo. Think of it this way, the green lantern core is pretty much how DC's way to have miorities represented in their comics, and they made alan scott (the least important lantern gay)

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Sharkbite

People change, "discover themselves", relationships evolve, etc. etc.

If a character, even a longstanding heterosexual character, is changed to be bisexual or homosexual, it does not necessarily violate continuity. But I would like for the story to be told well enough that the change makes sense.

My favorite character is Cyclops, for example. He has long been depicted as heterosexual. He has been married to women. He has had multiple female sexual partners. The majority of his life, he has been in a relationship of some sort with a woman. If he just walks up to Gambit and says "Hey bud, you're looking pretty fine", I would consider that poor writing. But I would say the same if he did that to Rogue, Psylocke, or Storm. There would be no build-up.

If Emma leaves Cyclops though, and if Cyclops is single for an extended period of time, and if he is shown as lonely and incomplete and doubting himself, probably peppered with some insistance that he's never going to date again because he always hurts every woman he's close to. Then he has a male ally that he opens up to, someone he can talk with, someone he can trust. They grow close, and he finds that he feels better about himself, that the aching in his heart is lessened because of his relationship with this friend. And eventually he discovers, probably during some life or death situation, that his feelings for this man are deep enough that he actually loves them.

If it's written well, I'll go along with it. But if it's strictly for shock value, then as far as I'm concerned, it has no value at all.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Pyrogram

@_Zombie_ said:

Considering my favorite is Punisher.. I'd drop the book and probably rage.

haha xD

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By Rumble Man

Quick question

What if my fave is galactus or shuma?

It would be genuinely interesting to see a gay cosmic/non-human character

since humans are hogging everything

Queen's Halo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By Queen's Halo

Why is that people are much more willing to have female characters be gay than male? Is it because most straight guys are selective homophobes?

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By Rumble Man
More gay
More gay
Non-humans please
Non-humans please
Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By Veshark

Honestly, if a writer 'went out of his way from continuity' and made any of my favorite characters into homosexuals, I would stop reading the book.

If a writer simply chooses to ignore previously-established relationships, and with malice of forethought (lawyer speak!) seeks to purposefully ignore that continuity just to make a character gay, it's lazy writing.

But I'll be honest here, even if the writing was well-done, it would probably take a long time for me to adjust to it. As a heterosexual person, seeing any of my favorites become homosexual would be inherently uncomfortable. I still might drop the book, if I'm being completely truthful.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By charlieboy

@HexThis: I think being a sixteen year old slayer and dating a centuries old vampire is an unworkable relationship. Her and Angel were pretty disfunctional too. Her relationship with Riley might have worked out had she shown she actually cared about him. As for Satsu I do agree her character was kind of used and abused. I know that Satsu is no Spike but the whole thing with Satsu was unworkable because Buffy is straight and was just using her to get through a tough time. Classic Buffy .

joshuagamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#110  Edited By joshuagamer

@KingUranus: writers aren't allowed to do whatever they want with characters, they have to get permission for huge status quo changes. Characters like superman are protected more than the average character, therefore he would never even come close to going gay. Maybe an alternate reality supes though.