• 110 results
#1 Posted by KingUranus (218 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by KingUranus (218 posts) - - Show Bio

EX: Cyclops has been straight for 60 years. In 2012, a writer for a new arc makes him the lover of Wolverine. 

#3 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

heh gutters. When your third favorite character is Tim Drake you have to answer this question every time you type his name into Google (and for the love of god never look for a fan fic about him). I guess I wouldn't care very much I would be annoyed but y'know whatever.

#4 Posted by Bearded Justice (732 posts) - - Show Bio

depends on how flaming

#5 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- It would make zero sense in your example of Cyclops, but for other characters I think it would really come down to a few factors

1 - How Long Has the Character Been Around?

2 - How many appearances does the character have?

3 - How many heterosexual relationships have been shown on page?

- The more history you have showing the character in one way, makes it a lot harder to sell the change and make it not seem forced and out of place. This is not to say it cannot be done, but I do not see how it could be done very well.

#6 Posted by Decoy Elite (29923 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the character really.

My fav is Spider-Man and making him gay would not really make sense.

#7 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio

How would that even work in regards to T'Challa?

#8 Edited by Galathanos (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wise Son said:

With a very very angry storm and a drought in Wakanda for the next 20 years

#9 Posted by Huntress_of_the_Dark (112 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers do in fact change characters and history regardless of continuity, and it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not. Mikaboshi's history has been changed regardless of his continuity. Emma Frost has been changed,  Superman, Thor, Colossus, Wonder Woman. Magneto, Rogue, Jubilee, Tim Drake, Joker, Two Face, Doomsday. All of the has been changed one way or another by different writers writing for them and that's a fact, so the answer is writers change them regardless. That's how story arcs work.

#10 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio

@Galathanos said:

@Wise Son said:

She wouldn't be that spiteful.

Think about this too. He'll be a gay king of an African country. That right there is a problem. Africa doesn't tow the line when it comes to tolerance.

#11 Posted by iLLituracy (13494 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't really a situation where you can say yes or no because it's been done and accepted and rejected...so...

#12 Posted by Galathanos (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wise Son said:

@Galathanos said:

@Wise Son said:

Think about this too. He'll be a gay king of an African country. That right there is a problem. Africa doesn't tow the line when it comes to tolerance.

Yeah I was joking about the drought I can imagine some lightning but not a drought. Yeah I heard about an African country that was considering passing a law that would kill people for being gay but Wakanda is kinda is separate from the rest of Africa so it may be more or less tolerant

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd hate it. The only way they'd be able to do it and I'd be ok with it is if it's a character from a different timeline/universe.

Like Colossus for example.

#14 Posted by TitsteR (96 posts) - - Show Bio

I can not picture Gambit gay, I'm sorry. If that ever comes out, I will stop reading the comic.

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
This isn't really a situation where you can say yes or no because it's been done and accepted and rejected...so...
#16 Posted by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering my favorite is Punisher.. I'd drop the book and probably rage.

#17 Posted by TitsteR (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
Because of people vote therefore the situation subjective either way it's put.
#18 Posted by entropy_aegis (15438 posts) - - Show Bio

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- It would make zero sense in your example of Cyclops, but for other characters I think it would really come down to a few factors

1 - How Long Has the Character Been Around?

2 - How many appearances does the character have?

3 - How many heterosexual relationships have been shown on page?

- The more history you have showing the character in one way, makes it a lot harder to sell the change and make it not seem forced and out of place. This is not to say it cannot be done, but I do not see how it could be done very well.

This.

#19 Edited by CATPANEXE (9357 posts) - - Show Bio

Readers would voice whatever opinions, and if shocked, which is an effect comics have, probably come off boisterous at the time one way or another, but then move onto something else and not really care I think. Human nature at it's core lets us decide what things are really important in the daily and full grand scheme of things. " Hey! Didn't you hear theres a comet about to hit Earth? Wait what? Rictors gay? " " Hey! Oh my God! They're saying Hercules slept with Northstar! That's@%$&!!! I'm going to take the writers head and...Oh, what?! Anne Hathaway is playing Catwoman? " ect. regardless of how it plays out. We did just see an entire continuity of an entire comic company, all characters drastically altered and everything about said characters changed. Just saying. Though, in the case of certain iconic characters the fallout would be heavy, like the two you mentioned (actually Cyclops, if Wolverine whom I like BTW, was revealed to be bisexual no one would care or cry a river in the long run, see: Hercules, see also: Iceman=implied, see also= Harley Quinn, bisexual see= ect.), but it's more due to how it wouldn't make sense with characters who have had enough time on screen to strongly establish where their sexual preference is, and note I am speaking the most iconic here, I believe anything short of that would motion to my original stance in the overall readerships view and overtime, with only a minority holding it in any regard. I didn't vote as two of your choices are the same thing (A&C). I believe you were using the specific example of sexual preference as an extreme to conduct a social survey regarding continuity alteration and/or disregard as a whole?

#20 Posted by difficlus (10632 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

lol

#21 Posted by lectriccolossus (436 posts) - - Show Bio

they did it to me with Colossus...sort of. He's gay in the ultimate universe, but still didn't make a difference, ended up being my fav character out of that universe

#22 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Shiva as a lesbian would actually make sense so I'd be cool wit it.

#23 Edited by MagneticShockwave (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

Answer B) would not be mainline continuity canon. Writers might be able to change a character's personality and background history, but doing so DOES NOT MAKE IT CANON. It's called W.I.S.

#24 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio

@Galathanos said:

@Wise Son said:

@Galathanos said:

@Wise Son said:

Yeah I was joking about the drought I can imagine some lightning but not a drought. Yeah I heard about an African country that was considering passing a law that would kill people for being gay but Wakanda is kinda is separate from the rest of Africa so it may be more or less tolerant

Yeah, I figured haha. I believe it was Uganda. Thing is most African countries don't tolerate homosexuals (i.e. they rape the women and castrate the men). I'm going with "less". They turned Nezhno (Gentle of the X-Men) into a social pariah because he was an outsider (his father was a white Russian). His mother disowned him and forbade him from touching his little brother as well. Even as the most advanced civilization on the planet they still have their faults.

#25 Posted by Huntress_of_the_Dark (112 posts) - - Show Bio
@lectriccolossus said:

they did it to me with Colossus...sort of. He's gay in the ultimate universe, but still didn't make a difference, ended up being my fav character out of that universe

They made him gay, but to boost up character respect against the bias thoughts against gay people, they made Ultimate Colossus resistant/immune against a Master of Magnetism. This must of been their message that gay people can over come anything regardless of the odds.
#26 Posted by cody1984 (1277 posts) - - Show Bio

@difficlus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

lol

Frank Tieri tried to make the claim that the Punisher was gay when he had Wolverine win a revenge fight against the Punisher when he was writing Wolverine's series after Garth Ennis wrote the Punisher running Wolverine over with a steam roller. It was pretty terrible overall.

#27 Posted by ARMIV2 (8847 posts) - - Show Bio

It should never be done if there is no real reason for it to happen. If a character is going to be gay, it should be because they are, not for the sake of shock, dramatics, or some other gimmick.

#28 Posted by Galathanos (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wise Son said:

@Galathanos said:

@Wise Son said:

@Galathanos said:

@Wise Son said:

Yeah, I figured haha. I believe it was Uganda. Thing is most African countries don't tolerate homosexuals (i.e. they rape the women and castrate the men). I'm going with "less". They turned Nezhno (Gentle of the X-Men) into a social pariah because he was an outsider (his father was a white Russian). His mother disowned him and forbade him from touching his little brother as well. Even as the most advanced civilization on the planet they still have their faults.

It would suck if they ran him out of Wakanda it would be pretty lame if he was exiled to Hell's Kitchen forever

#29 Posted by Dracade102 (8126 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite is the Red Skull. Figure that one out.

#30 Posted by SC (13349 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends why and how. Which writer, what books. Their history as far as other writers. Most comic writers generally suck when it comes to relationships no matter what. If Rogue has to go lesbian to avoid all the idiocy that happens with drawn out, over dramatic borefest writing with Magneto, Gambit, Pulse, and Gary Stu characters writers use her as notches on bed posts then sure. Except she'll probably be written as a lipstick lesbian. At least that is my fear. So either way, I'm fearful of writers dealing with any part of her orientation in general. Ditto power changes, friendship changes, hair length changes, costume changes. So depends. All about execution and reasoning. 

#31 Posted by The Impersonator (5620 posts) - - Show Bio

@KingUranus said:

EX: Cyclops has been straight for 60 years. In 2012, a writer for a new arc makes him the lover of Wolverine.

Ya gotta be kiddin' me, bub. X___X

#32 Posted by fesak (6981 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't care if it was a good story. What really offends me is crap like OMD or Jeph Loeb.

#33 Posted by daredevil21134 (12641 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator said:

@KingUranus said:

EX: Cyclops has been straight for 60 years. In 2012, a writer for a new arc makes him the lover of Wolverine.

Ya gotta be kiddin' me, bub. X___X

lol

#34 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak said:

Wouldn't care if it was a good story. What really offends me is crap like OMD or Jeph Loeb.

I partly agree with this, crap like OMD will continue to offend me for the rest of my life, I don't think what they did was in any shape or form the way to go through it. Doing it like DC did to Superman and Lois would have a been a much better choice. I'll leave it at that because this isn't a OMD rant thread.

What doesn't make sense is to change a established character who has had multiple heterosexual relationships and a strong indication that he is so and change it. Obviously, there is a point where this heterosexuality is exposed too obviously, at which in this extreme it might make sense to turn him/her homosexual, like it was done with Striker. If my favorite character, Dick Grayson was turned into a homosexual I would be pissed because the character has existing romantical potential with a variety of characters and his history is as a major lady's man -- I don't think I need to go into much more detail about that. If Bucky Barnes were to turn homosexual, I'd still have problems with that because his relationship with the Black Widow is a big part of his character and is something that should remain intact in some shape or another.

If a character like Prodigy, Hellion, Thunderbird III or even Damage were to turn homosexual, while I like the characters, I don't think I'd have a problem with this if the story was executed properly. Obviously I'd have a problem if the story wasn't executed properly or if Marvel tried to make a big deal out of it in an attempt to boost sales.

#35 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, my favorite (Harley) is already confirmed bisexual, soooo... I wouldn't mind....

#36 Posted by Pokeysteve (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher -- His love life is never really the focal point so I don't care. Long as he is still killing mo fo's.

Wonder Woman -- I wish they'd make her a lesbian. It just makes so much sense. Unless they pair her with Supes there just isn't going to be a guy good enough for her.

Superman -- This one would take some getting used too. Still read it though.

Honestly I think if the sexual orientation of your favorite character/s is a factor in you reading their books than you're pretty pathetic.

@ARMIV2 said:

It should never be done if there is no real reason for it to happen. If a character is going to be gay, it should be because they are, not for the sake of shock, dramatics, or some other gimmick.

Also this.

#37 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

depends on 2 things:

1. If it makes sense ( wolverine coming out of the closet would be weird and uncalled for, while less developed characters would make sense)

2. If they kept the character alive and didnt turn them into just a gay character

good example of one i agree/disagree wtih

Frenchie from Moon Knight, was never remotely gay in the old comics, but in the ones where he is still in character

#38 Posted by tron_bonne (2282 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you mean just the sexual orientation or the personality because homosexual also comes with the package of homosexual personality. Like for example what if that writer decided to write the dialogue for Batman like this?  Is this what you mean?

Just throwing this out there because 'Gay' people talk differently. One day Wolverine talks all manly and all of a sudden due to writer's choice, he/she decided to make that tough character talk like this could make it seem like the writer is totally trolling the fans.

#39 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

If Batman and Sups became gay outta no where then I quite comics and find a other hobby that is a stupid idea.

#40 Edited by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

@cody1984 said:

@difficlus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

lol

Frank Tieri tried to make the claim that the Punisher was gay when he had Wolverine win a revenge fight against the Punisher when he was writing Wolverine's series after Garth Ennis wrote the Punisher running Wolverine over with a steam roller. It was pretty terrible overall.

Well, good thing I haven't read it. But aside from that, Ennis is one of the biggest reasons I loved the first 60 issues of MAX, so I'll forgive him for that one instance of insane PIS. Also, as long as it was never made canon.. I'm good.

#41 Edited by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the character. When the question is asked, I immediately thought of my two favorite characters, Batman and Spider-Man.

• If they made Batman gay it almost wouldn't matter (to me). Batman is a strong character more for his roles as a son and as a father figure than as a husband or lover (which is interesting now that I thought of that). Others might disagree but I've never seen a romance as defining for the character. If he were suddenly gay that would open the door to a whole branch of raunchy interpretation with the various Robins but past all that would be relatively the same.
  • Spider-Man, on the other hand, is frequently defined by the ladies in his life—Gwen, Betty, MJ, Felicia, now Carlie—and the turnovers of longstanding relationships—Death of Gwen Stacy, One More Day—are the most traumatic storylines for long-time fans. If he were suddenly to turn gay, effectively ending ALL old relationships in favor of new ones—Harry, Flash—that would be equally traumatic. And yet, past all that, the storylines might be good. Just as I can enjoy the current Spidey books while hating the OMD/BND storylines, I could—ahem—get behind a gay Spider-Man.

And this kind of happened with my favorite X-Man, Colossus, in the Ultimate universe. I did not mind. I thought it was interesting. Yet I still had the 616 Colossus so it doesn't quite count.

#42 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL I could see the comic industry goes bankrupt in the first day.

#43 Edited by cosmo111687 (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

In most cases, I wouldn't mind, especially if it's just made clear that the character is bisexual so that past relationships with members of the opposite sex aren't rendered moot. I would only be concerned if they're depicted offensively or if its handled sloppily and ends up making them act out of character and/or ruins previous story-lines and character dynamics. For instance, I wouldn't mind if Bruce Wayne had feelings for a new male character. But I would mind if it turned out he and Two-Face had feelings for each other, because it completely changes the dynamic of their friendship in a needless way.

#44 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4765 posts) - - Show Bio

It guess it depends on how the Hulk tightly holds me with his muscular arms, leaping us safely away from General Ross and my father.

#45 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

In most cases, I wouldn't mind, especially if it's just made clear that the character is bisexual so that past relationships with members of the opposite sex aren't rendered moot. I would only be concerned if they're depicted offensively or if its handled sloppily and ends up making them act out of character and/or ruins previous story-lines and character dynamics. For instance, I wouldn't mind if Bruce Wayne had feelings for a new male character. But I would mind if it turned out he and Two-Face had feelings for each other, because it completely changes the dynamic of their friendship in a needless way.

- I think this is a very good point, if your going to change a character that has some, but not overwhelming past history showing them to be heterosexual, bisexual is easier to explain and fit then making them gay.

- It opens up all the opportunities to write the character in new situations without asking the reader to discount history for the most part.

- What was done with Rictor in X-Factor is a perfect example of this IMO

#46 Posted by Roaming_Khaos (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't mind, doubt it will

only happens in like what if's, alt universes or secondary main characters like Willow from Buffy. My one tick, would it be genuine or would be just for the shake of having a same sex character? how to explain, don't make them same sex to fill some short of agenda, like 'hey we got a L,G,B,or T character so we are forward thinking."

#47 Posted by tron_bonne (2282 posts) - - Show Bio

Gay people don't believe in suddenly turning gay anyways. They believe that they are born gay, so suddenly changing a character's sexual preference out of no where is just bias action from the writer anyway.

#48 Posted by cosmo111687 (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roaming_Khaos said:

Wouldn't mind, doubt it will

only happens in like what if's, alt universes or secondary main characters like Willow from Buffy. My one tick, would it be genuine or would be just for the shake of having a same sex character? how to explain, don't make them same sex to fill some short of agenda, like 'hey we got a L,G,B,or T character so we are forward thinking."

I wouldn't like it if they did that too. Really, if it happens, it needs to add something to the character and serve the story. That's what it always comes down to, really.

#49 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4765 posts) - - Show Bio
@tron_bonne said:
Gay people don't believe in suddenly turning gay anyways. They believe that they are born gay, so suddenly changing a character's sexual preference out of no where is just bias action from the writer anyway.
And yet it takes years to overcome the brainwashing of societies. It wouldn't really matter how long you may have known a superhero, just that my cousin in his fifties just came out of the closet. He's technically older than Captain America. But yes, don't lay blame on genetics: blame the writing.
#50 Posted by cody1984 (1277 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot: Technically both events are cannon but I doubt the gay claim will ever be expanded upon since it was done in extremely bad taste and wolverine getting run over is not important to the character's history so at most its just a comical defeat he had in the past.