What Happens When This Marvel/DC Film-Verse Ends?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Edited By EyeDCyou

How's it hangin' team? So, I just had a thought when I was checking out the upcoming Marvel/DC slates (check out this cool infographic from IGN.com.) Looking at the upcoming plan, it looks like Marvel's 'Avenger's Universe' will probably be wrapped up by about 2020 (Thor, Cap, and Avengers trilogies will be done by then.) Amazing Spider-man will probably also be done by then, and possibly Guardians of the Galaxy and Fantastic Four as well. As it currently looks, the seemingly never-ending X-men universe has the biggest potential to continue past the 2020 mark.

No Caption Provided

As for DC, they certainly have less films planned for the next 6 years, but we expect that we will see the first Justice League, Wonder Woman, Batman, and Shazam! as well as the second Man of Steel. If DC plans on producing trilogies for all of its major heros as well as the JLA, they could have a structured film-verse for at least the next 10-15 years.

No Caption Provided

So what happens after that? Assuming that the popularity of Superhero films doesn't die down over the next 20 years (I hope it doesn't), how will the two major companies move into the next phase of their cinematic sectors? The easy rout obviously would be to reboot the characters and teams again, but that would be a move that audiences probably wouldn't want for quite a while. So ignoring that obvious and lame answer to 'what's next', I see two more options that the studios could exercise. The first would be to continue the current franchises past a trilogy, at a slowing rate. We love getting new hero movies every year, but at the rate they're pumping them out, a continued franchise would start to decrease in quality very quickly. Perhaps if a new film from one franchise was put out every 4 years instead of every 2 the quality would last longer. The other option would be to just explore more obscure and less known titles. This would be a huge risk for the studios, but with a potentially large upside. Marvel and DC could start putting out films that the average person wouldn't recognize based on title (like Guardians of the Galaxy.) This would give the big name heros a rest, and open up audiences to a whole new group of comic book characters. Titles such as Suicide Squad and Red Hood and the Outlaws for DC or Nova and Iron Fist for Marvel. Comic book fans like us would obviously be thrilled and would flock to theaters, and as long as average audiences would also attend (lets face it, they would) then the films could be huge hits. I don't know what the future will hold for us in comic book films, but it sure will be interesting to see what happens.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

I am actually sort of excited to see how the Marvel films will go. The most probable scenario is that the roster of the Avengers will just change as that is what happens to the team in the comics often.

So, potentially by the year 2020 we could have an Avengers team that consists of Bucky Cap, Falcon, Dr Strange, Ant-man and Wasp, Black Panther and Ms Marvel. Maybe even incorporate some characters from the TV series they are working on. Essentially, as long as they have great talent working on their media projects, the sky is the limit for them.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think the Marvel films will end by 2020, that's probably what marvel have planned... Even is Thor and Cap trilogies finish, there are other characters they can make films on...

Also, if it DOES end, Marvel will probs wait 5 years and start all over with IM, Cap, Thor etc.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They might not exactly end, but they'll definitely slow down a LOT after 2020 imo,, to make films on the lesser knowns.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Jphu8414

I would like to see a focus on lesser known characters but the more likely option is a reboot. I could even see DC doing something like a Crisis event to explain the reboot within the actual movie.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Mrnoital
EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414: A crisis event would be so cool.

@cattlebattle: That's a very interesting idea...I think that'd be awesome, and it would flow very smoothly imo.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EyeDCyou

And also, I didn't mean that Marvel movies would end by 2020. Just the 'Avengers universe' films would probably be over by then.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They retcon and make a new one.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They reboot and start another line of movies, but at a slower rate, and not necessarily in another cinematic universe.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RustyRoy

WB should continue the Batman franchise like the James Bond franchise, replace the actors and don't do a complete reboot.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What'll happen when MARVEL/DC film verse ends? They'll reboot and build larger, more ambitious universes. This run of CBM's wont end any sooner...

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Cream_God

They reboot on a musical on ice

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice one :D Sell the idea to both corporations, Lol. I kid, I kid.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By SaintWildcard

@eyedcyou said:

@jphu8414: A crisis event would be so cool.

You guys... seriously you guys. I want a COIE movie...SO....F**KING....BAD!!! I wanna see Earth 1 and 3 Superman duke it out and then Earth 2 Superman intervenes. I would faint

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The studios would probably just reboot it. There's way too much money to be made.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would pay to see that.