What happened to Stan Lee's original vision for Thor?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

He created Thor to be the strongest, most powerful character, a Marvel version of Superman, but Hulk seems to have taken that crown over the years. Certainly Hulk seems to often gain the upper hand when he encounters Thor. Just wondering why Thor hasn't been used to his full potential. The Avengers Movie is a classic example, where Thor seemed a bit de-powered compared with, say Hulk.

ThorBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThorBoy

Thor is no superman which makes him that much better a character. He's no wimp either but hulk is strongest there is.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm sure he didn't create Spider-Man with the intention of him being replaced with Doc Ock, or Cyclops with the idea that he'd one day being the leader of a mutant revolution. Characters change and Thor is still one of Marvel's most powerful characters

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LaserLambert

Stan Lee had a vision?

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It came true! You're looking at it!

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure he didn't create Spider-Man with the intention of him being replaced with Doc Ock, or Cyclops with the idea that he'd one day being the leader of a mutant revolution. Characters change and Thor is still one of Marvel's most powerful characters

good post lol

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Thor has no one to blame save himself. He has a vast array of powers, so much so, that using his hands to box with somebody seems redundant. He can even increase his strength through magic like Loki, Odin, and Zeus. But unfortunate for his fans to see, that like superman he has "Brawlers Disease". He prefers to leave Magic to Loki, Thor is a warrior first and a sorcerer second, despite being a magical based lifeform. He could crush Hulk, but prefers to mix it up. That's just Thor, he's a Fking Viking!

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By evilvegeta74

Also Thor has no one to blame save himself. He has a vast array of powers, so much so, that using his hands to box with somebody seems redundant. He can even increase his strength through magic like Loki, Odin, and Zeus. But unfortunate for his fans to see, that like superman he has "Brawlers Disease". He prefers to leave Magic to Loki, Thor is a warrior first and a sorcerer second, despite being a magical based lifeform. He could crush Hulk, but prefers to mix it up. That's just Thor, he's a Fking Viking!

I agree he has brawlers disease.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@bezza: and Wolverine was created to be an actual mutated wolverine, what's your point?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By joshmightbe

@jonny_anonymous: Actually Wolverine was created to meet a deadline, the rest was worked out later.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@joshmightbe: sure but the original plans where to have him be a wolverine that had mutated in to a human

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Here we go again....

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: He also got his name and original costume color scheme because his creator was a fan of the Michigan state Wolverines. If you aren't from America its a college football team.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Wolverine008

Hulk has to live up to his "I'm the strongest there is" line, so whenever writers have Thor go up against Hulk, they dumb Thor down and make him brawl with Hulk when he should know that is the wrong way to go about it, and he should instead use his wide array of powers.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By warlock360

There's more to being strong than musclepower

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hulk has to live up to his "I'm the strongest there is line", so whenever writers have Thor go up against Hulk, they dumb Thor down and make him brawl with Hulk when he should know that is wrong way to go about it, and he should instead use his wide array of powers.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 SC  Moderator

Remember that Marvel's adapted Thor was created by Jack Kirby and as well Lee's brother Larry Lieber. Much of your opening post actually hints at the answer to your question in a way. You use the word seem a few times, and thats a very good and honest word to use, because it implies a perspective. I know some fans who think Hulk is the strongest, I know some fans who think Thor would murder Hulk if he used all his abilities, I know some fans who think either assertion is faulty because these are fictional comic book characters with no absolute qualities. I usually take that approach. Stan Lee co-created both characters and when he was asked who would win in a fight his answers were composed of maybe's, guesses, and speculation. Which is then funny to think about when you have fans who didn't create either character answering the question with such certainty and confidence. What does it say of the person who answers with such certainty and confidence to questions that have no certain or confident answers?

Something a lot of people tend to overlook is Thor isn't actually just the god of thunder, he also was associated with other things, like strength, fertility and oak. Actually somethings many people tend to overlook is that these are fictional characters heh heh - their strength values have no set value even when a writer suggests they might have a set value because it can be reset and changed as easily as its set and this can happen writer to writer or even scene to scene as even writers can change minds. So this applies between characters strength values respective to each other as well. I have never seen this invisible crown that passed from Thor to Hulk? That also being said characters in a shared universe require ways to be relevant and distinguishable. It does not nor would it surprise me that Hulk's strength is demonstrated more in movies or cartoons because its a bigger part of the characters mythos. Hulk simply needs it more. Its also why to much of the mainstream or casual fans a Hulk vs Thing show down is still exciting where as for some there its not because there is no question that Hulk is much more superior because of feats or what not. Its really just a matter of perception and money as in the owners of the characters trying to market both and market in a way that is most profitable. If Colossus from X-Men started to get really popular and a large part of that newfound popularity was due to the idea he was brutally and incredibly strong, expect Colossus writing and depiction to cater to this.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lykopis

Thor God of Thunder seems to be changing this so hopefully this remains so and the character can shake off some of this jobber type stigma which has latched to him over the last while.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hulk has always and will forever be stronger than Thor. Stan Lee wanted to make someone as strong if not stronger than the strongest one there is. that led to the creation of Thor.and I think it's widely accepted that Hulk is stronger. Heck even Dan Jurgens and Peter David both stated Hulk is stronger than Superman but that he would loose in a fight.

@sc said:

Remember that Marvel's adapted Thor was created by Jack Kirby and as well Lee's brother Larry Lieber. Much of your opening post actually hints at the answer to your question in a way. You use the word seem a few times, and thats a very good and honest word to use, because it implies a perspective. I know some fans who think Hulk is the strongest, I know some fans who think Thor would murder Hulk if he used all his abilities, I know some fans who think either assertion is faulty because these are fictional comic book characters with no absolute qualities. I usually take that approach. Stan Lee co-created both characters and when he was asked who would win in a fight his answers were composed of maybe's, guesses, and speculation. Which is then funny to think about when you have fans who didn't create either character answering the question with such certainty and confidence. What does it say of the person who answers with such certainty and confidence to questions that have no certain or confident answers?

Something a lot of people tend to overlook is Thor isn't actually just the god of thunder, he also was associated with other things, like strength, fertility and oak. Actually somethings many people tend to overlook is that these are fictional characters heh heh - their strength values have no set value even when a writer suggests they might have a set value because it can be reset and changed as easily as its set and this can happen writer to writer or even scene to scene as even writers can change minds. So this applies between characters strength values respective to each other as well. I have never seen this invisible crown that passed from Thor to Hulk? That also being said characters in a shared universe require ways to be relevant and distinguishable. It does not nor would it surprise me that Hulk's strength is demonstrated more in movies or cartoons because its a bigger part of the characters mythos. Hulk simply needs it more. Its also why to much of the mainstream or casual fans a Hulk vs Thing show down is still exciting where as for some there its not because there is no question that Hulk is much more superior because of feats or what not. Its really just a matter of perception and money as in the owners of the characters trying to market both and market in a way that is most profitable. If Colossus from X-Men started to get really popular and a large part of that newfound popularity was due to the idea he was brutally and incredibly strong, expect Colossus writing and depiction to cater to this.

@wolverine08: Well Thor is a warrior and hard headed. He likes to play it fair because that's how he is. He will Brawl with guys like Hercules, Juggernaut, Hulk and Thing because that's what they do plus he wants to prove he is stronger due to his pride. And that's what causes him to loose so much to Hulk. Almost no character ever has beaten Hulk by brawling it's nearly impossible. Why do you think Silver Surfer always beats him because he uses his speed and power to his advantage. Thor will fight guys like Hyperion and Silver Surfer differently than he would fight Hulk and Juggernaut.

@lykopis said:

Thor God of Thunder seems to be changing this so hopefully this remains so and the character can shake off some of this jobber type stigma which has latched to him over the last while.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642:

True about Thor wanting to play it fair. I guess he really doesn't try to kill Hulk in their fights, and you are right about brawling with the Hulk, it's pretty much impossible.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Exactly he's a warrior born he has loads of honer. It's nearly impossible to beat Hulk by brawling if I recall correctly no one has ever been able to do it. Not counting when he was Grey Hulk or Professor Hulk because he was depowered when he was in those 2 incarnations. when He was Savage, Mindless, Gravage (Mixture of Savage Hulk and Grey Hulk) WWHulk or War Hulk (When he was a horsemen of Apocalypse) I don't recall anyone beating him physically.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#26  Edited By TDK_1997

Marvel's editorial has tried to make more powerful characters than Thor over the years but they always choose that one character that is going to beat Thor and that is Hulk.Why they are doing that?Nobody knows but I am glad that Jason Aaron is making Thor that badass Norse god that everybody likes because he is really powerful and I really want that to stay permanent because I got tired of Thor jobbing.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jonny_anonymous: no it wasnt. it's one of those industry myths. corey from the podcast said he asked ___ (cant remember who) and they said it was never on the table. or heard it in an interview, idk.