• 60 results
#1 Posted by Chael_P_Sonnen (28 posts) - - Show Bio

What was the first comic that got you hooked

#2 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Originally it was Spider-Man, mostly because of the animated series and then getting dragged to the local comic book store by my drugged up uncle. But then I moved to a town where we didn't even have a gas station, let alone a comic book store, so I fell out of collecting. The New 52 got me back into collecting because it was a chance to hop on with #1 issues.

#3 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

DCAU got me into comics.

But if we're talking about what comic got me more into comics? Kingdom Come.

#4 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men TAS

#5 Posted by Chael_P_Sonnen (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

DCAU got me into comics.

But if we're talking about what comic got me more into comics? Kingdom Come.

the JSA kingdom come??... for me it was the death of super man

#6 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chael_P_Sonnen: Ross & Waid's Kingdom Come.

#7 Posted by Chael_P_Sonnen (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

@Chael_P_Sonnen: Ross & Waid's Kingdom Come.

I thought that was JSA?

#8 Posted by Duncan (11444 posts) - - Show Bio

Boredom and cartoons

#9 Posted by geoff2005 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

what directly got me interested into reading comics and buying it was New 52 but as a kid always use to watch batman/super TSA and JL, spiderman, etc

#10 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by The_Tree (7281 posts) - - Show Bio

The first comic book I ever read was Sonic the Hedgehog #146, but I officially got hooked into the comic book realm several years later with Blackest Night #1.

#12 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

A friend traded me an extra copy of a comic book he had. I liked the image on the cover of the comic so I hung it up in my room. Oddly enough, I thought the cover art looked cool on my wall so I decided to get a few more comics to hang on the wall in my bedroom. Before long, I was hooked on the stories as well.

#13 Posted by tahmidk (283 posts) - - Show Bio

eclipso comics that i used to read in the library when i was like 8

#14 Edited by SHAZAM117 (2848 posts) - - Show Bio

Todd Mcfarlane's Amazing Spider-Man run back in the late 80's when I was a kid...the rest is history for me....He's still my favorite Spidey artist

#15 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

My mom used to buy me comics back in the 90s, the ones based on batman tas. i grew up and stopped reading comics for a long time

Years later, during the time the dark knight was in theaters i was walking down the street and i saw this:

So i was like "oh, what the hell" and i bought it for old times' sake. before i knew i was hooked to batman, and recently ive started to read other characters as well

#16 Posted by badgame (41 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 and digital got me into comics since we don't have any proper comic-book store in our country. Got hooked with the beautiful art of Justice League 1 which i spotted at a random website and decided to check it out since i'm really a fan of Batman on the big screen and would like to see how he interacted with characters i thought were ridiculous like Superman. Turned out it was a great read and i now a year later i'm a big fan of characters like superman and green lantern. I wish marvel would do sort of a reboot so I could get into their comics as well because it's really hard for new readers like me to get into the universe otherwise. Might be checking out Marvel now but as far as i have seen the titles don't look too interesting and it looks like it pay of to be a longtime reader to fully understand them.

Also, my first post here, have been lurking for comic news for a while and decided to join the discussion!

#17 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4701 posts) - - Show Bio

My parents. My mother was an avid collector and my father was a casual reader. They saw how well I could draw and introduced me to Marvel, and I hated them ever since. It was originally about Wolverine when he wasn't a putz.

#18 Edited by McKlayn (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved to draw, like since i can remember. I drew ninja turtles, Power rangers whatever i was in too. So one day i was at the Piggly Wiggly!! yea thats right the Piggly Wiggly! and seen some comics, thought the art was awesome and convinced my mom (i was around 10ish i guess) to buy me one. It happened to be an Uncanny X men, i had it for a few days drawing pictures of Storm, Bishop, Arch Angel, Iceman and all the rest. Tried to read it but it was rather confusing, next week i went and seen "Professor Xavier & The X-men" a reprint series of the original X men. It was issue number one and i picked it up and when i read it it made sense, and i started buying those and enjoying them. Eventually i picked up other Uncanny's and X-men. That was pretty on and off until the Phalanx Story and Gen X started and that got me Totally hooked. Never missed and issue!

I got older though and started dating, working, playing football. Stopped buying and keeping up with most things, it wasn't until i got married and settled down that i started back reading Comics. It was right before House of M, i haven't missed much since then :-p

#19 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@badgame said:

New 52 and digital got me into comics since we don't have any proper comic-book store in our country. Got hooked with the beautiful art of Justice League 1 which i spotted at a random website and decided to check it out since i'm really a fan of Batman on the big screen and would like to see how he interacted with characters i thought were ridiculous like Superman. Turned out it was a great read and i now a year later i'm a big fan of characters like superman and green lantern. I wish marvel would do sort of a reboot so I could get into their comics as well because it's really hard for new readers like me to get into the universe otherwise. Might be checking out Marvel now but as far as i have seen the titles don't look too interesting and it looks like it pay of to be a longtime reader to fully understand them.

Also, my first post here, have been lurking for comic news for a while and decided to join the discussion!

Welcome to the vine!

#20 Posted by sinestro_GL (3127 posts) - - Show Bio

Tin Tin...or was it Astérix?

#21 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4527 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say it was a copy of Shazam?Captain Marvel -Dc and Captain Marvel from Marvel comics when I was about 7yrs old. It was a profound moment for me, I was instantly drawn to the artwork because I was just gaining interest in drawing. The characters had identical names and the stories were down to earth, I remember this like yesterday and I thankful somebody was cared enough about me to bring comics into my life. I salute them.

#22 Posted by tomlikesfries (4641 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Year One and Avengers.

#23 Edited by SmashBrawler (5624 posts) - - Show Bio

My dad used to lend me comics since he was a huge comic book fan. The first comic book I ever bought was this:

And I've been reading comic books ever since.

#24 Posted by War Killer (20129 posts) - - Show Bio

What got me into comics was a reprint of Captain America #109, it came with a Marvel Legends Captain America toy (which I still have) that I got at Walmart when I was like seven or eight.

#25 Posted by GillaDro (245 posts) - - Show Bio

My dad took me to a comic shop when I was around 7 or 8. I picked up an issue of the Flash , and the Amazing Spider-Man.

I Loved them both and continued to collect and explore other comics. I eventually grew older and lost interest in comics.

then i was lookin around on ebay one day about 6 months ago, and an old issue of Spectacular Spider-Man caught my eye. For some reason I felt i should buy it, so i did.

Now I love comics again.

#26 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously i got hooked at reading comics after i watch a Teen Titans animated series in cartoon network and i easily fell in love with it, and that's when i start reading teen titans comic books. But probably my most favorite character up until now and what really drives me to collect comics seriously is Cassandra Cain (batgirl) because i really love her silent but deadly attitude.

#27 Edited by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio
  • This game [Spiderman 64] introduced to me to just about all of the coolest marvel characters, and made me want to pick up an issue from each of their comic lines, as well as see the movies when they came out.
#28 Edited by ComixZone (11 posts) - - Show Bio

My current interest is due to straight up boredom. During college I worked at an antique bookstore that was on the same street as a comic book store and I found a good way to burn through boring afternoons would be to sit down with a stack of comics.

....it was a really boring job, I spent a LOT of $ on comics. Since then I've moved to strictly digital purchases which has been pretty sweet (yet, expensive).

As a kid, my interest was first sparked when I broke my elbow and while in the hospital my Dad bought me the trade of Star Wars Dark Empire. I must've read that thing 20 times through that summer and I still revisit it once a year.

#29 Posted by nickthedevil (12023 posts) - - Show Bio

Spawn #129

#30 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman the animated series in the 90's. That followed with a love for superheroes lead me to my local comic book store at age 8. My dad brought me Ultimate Spider-man vol 1 and that is the first time I got into comics. But I didn't start collecting comics until the new 52.

#31 Posted by krilling (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

A German print issue of Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu.

#32 Posted by Chael_P_Sonnen (28 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

the games and tv shows I had when I was a kid. Then at teen hood the movies and then I just decided to grab some random DC and Marvel stuff

#34 Posted by TheCannon (18296 posts) - - Show Bio

Curiosity. I wanted to learn a little about Supes, Bats, and Spidey. I really got into Spidey and Bats. I became a HUGE Fantastic Four fan also. After that, I just continued to get into more stuff such as X-men, Thor, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc. And finally, I am standing here today.

#35 Posted by Asagod (292 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I've got some Batman comics since I was young, this took me into the DC universe, I later started to read something about Spider-Man, then I read some Avengers stories, so I started to read Iron Man, later Thor and finally I entered the whole Comics Universe.

#36 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

X-men: First Class

#37 Posted by FrankenKong (234 posts) - - Show Bio

...this

#38 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (4305 posts) - - Show Bio

wow. I can't remember specifics.....my mom started buying me comic when I was 5 back in the early 80's. i got hooked into all the greats all at once from DC and Marvel at the time. Hulk, Spiderman, flash, superman, JLA, x-men, fantastic four, the list goes on and on...........

#39 Posted by CoachT (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing Spiderman on The Electric Company…channel of coarse PBS! I was like 5 or 6…changed my life. Had a drug store in town that carried Spiderman and others. My parents spot me the 35 cents and the rest is history! Now I spend way to much trying to recapture that feeling I had as kid turning the pages!!!! Coach T

#40 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man via the Electric Company

#41 Posted by KZR (487 posts) - - Show Bio

You know those cards with pictures of characters and a list of their abilities, the ones you collect, I had some of those with DC and Marvel characters when I was a little girl. I wanted to find out more about those characters and well here I am 14 years later.

#42 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man movies. As he was my favorite superhero I wanted to read some comics about him. I got hooked on on Amazing Spider-man comics on and off for a few years until I reached 400th. Then came the breaking point and Spider-man was no more my favorite superhero due to his high morals 'n stuff and never killing villains, which usually is reason for deaths of innocents. So now my favorite superhero's are Venom (Flash Thompson) and Scarlet Spider (Kaine).

#43 Posted by daredevilfan777 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

X-Men TAS

I second this

#44 Posted by Strider92 (16264 posts) - - Show Bio

My first comicbook ever was "Tin tin and the Black Island" I loved that freaking book when I was small (and still do). I got into Marvel because my grandmother happened to buy me some Spider-man comics. I grew up with Ben Reilly as Spider-man so I was confused when Peter Parker came back lol.

#45 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

My uncle giving them to me when I was a youngen and after that I was hooked, didn't hurt I thought I was superman well before I could read

#46 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

I began reading Spider-man just as the clone saga was ending. Through him I began exploring the rest of the Marvel universe. I especially liked Avengers and the FF.

I only started reading DC since the new 52 and I quite like it, and have been reading stories from before the reboot.

#47 Posted by indifferentmrh (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man TAS

#48 Posted by Pyrogram (36418 posts) - - Show Bio

spiderman TAS

#49 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6620 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_GL: tin tin was the first comic i used to read. im gonna collect all the paperbacks soon

#50 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6620 posts) - - Show Bio

Watching marvel and dc animated shows got me to read superhero comics