"I didn't even bother reading all of that."

Evidently.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Goku don't fight at lightspeed, nor Superman...

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By ariesxmasters

@gambit474 said:

@gambit474:

"Planet busting isn't that impressive when compared to the comic book universe, just so you know."

True, but when we are talking about characters in Superman's tier, for which it's seriously impressive.

"Superman's destroyed planets before as well..So that also makes your comment irrelevant."

Not really. Barring the now-non-canon silver age, he hasn't. His showings have been moon level to planet level at best. Going by new 52, he will be ko'd if caught in the vicinity of a planet explosion..

"'Consistent increase in power"..If we try to base strength off consistency then that makes for a poor argument in DBZ's favor because yes comics are vulnerable to inconsistency but that doesn't mean there isn't a general flow they follow. Spider-man is a poor example to bring up because Spider-man's never going to get stronger than he is..There's no reason for his power to increase because his origins of his powers would make no sense for such to happen."

You're missing the context of 'consistent' here. By consistent, what I mean is goku after every arc will be exponentially stronger, because zenkai - like the one that took him from street tier to planet tier. Clark, however will always be in the same range, that' between moon-planet+ range.

"Goku will never be on Superman's level simply because DC will always give Superman ways to overcome the odds in ways Goku is unable to in his universe."

Invalid logic, really. Bills is already a league ahead of clark going by feats. If goku matches/surpasses those in the movie, it's GG for the debate.

"Like I said, Superman does things like flying through black holes. Goku's never displayed the ability to do such"

Which doesn't matter in the fight, goku isn't going to toss him in a black hole, nor are they going to race through one for no reason. What matters in the fight in the fight are basic things like attack/defence/speed and supporting techniques..

I didn't even bother reading all of that. This is about Superman and Goku yet you keep bringing up characters that aren't even relevant to the debate. When it comes down to it, Goku simply isn't in Superman's league. The only ones who say otherwise are those who know little to nothing about Superman's comics or have an obvious favoritism to Goku. Goku is powerful but a lot of his abilities are overrated and exaggerated by his fans. Goku will get stronger in time but so will Superman. Eventually Superman will be doing things that Goku isn't capable of again. Like I said, Goku can't keep up with Superman or any high tier comic character.

The same could be said about Superman being overrated. Every other Superman feat is taken out of context by Superman d.i.c.k riders (The most notorious one is SA Superman sneezing a Solar System away). No one calls "PIS" on anything Superman does like they do to Thor, Sentry and Hulk. Saying Superman is out of Goku's league is just not true. Even the weakest of Dbz characters display the destructive capabilities to casually destroy moon, planets with little to no effort and the later enemies are shown to only get stronger. I read all of Superman current books which is why I can show you why Goku stomps him. You're overrating Superman really badly specially if you're talking about New-52.

Master-Danny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1 said:

@gambit474:

"Planet busting isn't that impressive when compared to the comic book universe, just so you know."

True, but when we are talking about characters in Superman's tier, for which it's seriously impressive.

"Superman's destroyed planets before as well..So that also makes your comment irrelevant."

Not really. Barring the now-non-canon silver age, he hasn't. His showings have been moon level to planet level at best. Going by new 52, he will be ko'd if caught in the vicinity of a planet explosion..

"'Consistent increase in power"..If we try to base strength off consistency then that makes for a poor argument in DBZ's favor because yes comics are vulnerable to inconsistency but that doesn't mean there isn't a general flow they follow. Spider-man is a poor example to bring up because Spider-man's never going to get stronger than he is..There's no reason for his power to increase because his origins of his powers would make no sense for such to happen."

You're missing the context of 'consistent' here. By consistent, what I mean is goku after every arc will be exponentially stronger, because zenkai - like the one that took him from street tier to planet tier. Clark, however will always be in the same range, that' between moon-planet+ range.

"Goku will never be on Superman's level simply because DC will always give Superman ways to overcome the odds in ways Goku is unable to in his universe."

Invalid logic, really. Bills is already a league ahead of clark going by feats. If goku matches/surpasses those in the movie, it's GG for the debate.

"Like I said, Superman does things like flying through black holes. Goku's never displayed the ability to do such"

Which doesn't matter in the fight, goku isn't going to toss him in a black hole, nor are they going to race through one for no reason. What matters in the fight in the fight are basic things like attack/defence/speed and supporting techniques..

I didn't even bother reading all of that. This is about Superman and Goku yet you keep bringing up characters that aren't even relevant to the debate. When it comes down to it, Goku simply isn't in Superman's league. The only ones who say otherwise are those who know little to nothing about Superman's comics or have an obvious favoritism to Goku. Goku is powerful but a lot of his abilities are overrated and exaggerated by his fans. Goku will get stronger in time but so will Superman. Eventually Superman will be doing things that Goku isn't capable of again. Like I said, Goku can't keep up with Superman or any high tier comic character.

do you have some feats or evidence to suport your statement? I'm not looking to defend goku, only I look for a good debate.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit474 said:

@gambit474:

The same could be said about Superman being overrated. Every other Superman feat is taken out of context by Superman d.i.c.k riders (The most notorious one is SA Superman sneezing a Solar System away). No one calls "PIS" on anything Superman does like they do to Thor, Sentry and Hulk. Saying Superman is out of Goku's league is just not true. Even the weakest of Dbz characters display the destructive capabilities to casually destroy moon, planets with little to no effort and the later enemies are shown to only get stronger. I read all of Superman current books which is why I can show you why Goku stomps him. You're overrating Superman really badly specially if you're talking about New-52.

Superman is overrated, but he's done things that makes it believable as to why he became that way compared to Goku. Blowing up planets isn't impressive, regardless of what any DBZ fan says. I'm not overrating Superman, it's true that Superman can survive in deep space and does things like flying through black holes. Unless you can provide evidence of Goku doing the same, and actual evidence..not just words and speculation, then you're in no position to say otherwise. Superman isn't even my favorite, Ghost Rider and Spawn are who can both roflstomp Goku but that's a different discussion ;D, and I know how much more overpowered he is than Goku. Between the two, I see more fans make up things in Goku's favor than the opposite. Saying stupid things like "Goku will just blow up the sun" and such makes Goku far more ridiculous than Superman. DBZ fans just don't like to be told they're wrong

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Etheral_Dreams

@mortein: Good job on post #194. You see how quiet Superman fanboys are now.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit474:

Superman is overrated, but he's done things that makes it believable as to why he became that way compared to Goku. Blowing up planets isn't impressive, regardless of what any DBZ fan says. I'm not overrating Superman, it's true that Superman can survive in deep space and does things like flying through black holes. Unless you can provide evidence of Goku doing the same, and actual evidence..not just words and speculation, then you're in no position to say otherwise. Superman isn't even my favorite, Ghost Rider and Spawn are who can both roflstomp Goku but that's a different discussion ;D, and I know how much more overpowered he is than Goku. Between the two, I see more fans make up things in Goku's favor than the opposite. Saying stupid things like "Goku will just blow up the sun" and such makes Goku far more ridiculous than Superman. DBZ fans just don't like to be told they're wrong

I love how nobody calls "PIS" or anything on something Superman does it is so funny. Superman was almost killed by a nuke before but barely escaped, and he some how survives in a black hole but everyone says that a legit feat, yeah, okay, he clearly survived because of plot. He has no previous feats before that, that suggest he could even come close to surviving a black hole.

That's great I like Ghostrider(Robby Reyes) too, and I will be for sure checking out Spawn in the future he seems like a interesting and cool character. Superman isn't even that overpowered though specially his New-52 iteration I mean like I said earlier the guy almost died from a nuke. Alright as I continue to read your post it just seems like you don't just like Goku so of course naturally your going to go with Superman.

TonyChu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't matter whatever feat Goku can perform. Superman fans can always find a more powerful version.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit474: you keep using pre new 52 superman feats, does that mean you think goku stomps new 52 superman?

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Mortein

@buttersdaman000 said:

@mortein:

1. I just want something quantifiable. If I took one Superman speed feat that showed movement and displacement without some, possible quantifiable time, I could literally make him as fast as I need him to be. For instance,

How fast are they fighting here? Without a specified time frame, this feat could easily range from FTL to Hypersonic. We don't allow stuff like this for comic characters, so I don't see why debating standards have to be lowered for dragon ball.

But just because we can't precisely determine the speed, it doesn't mean that this feat is useless. It's quite obvious that the writer wanted us to show us how they can travel from Egypt to China to Siberia and then to Arizona in the time it takes to have one short conversation. I'm not saying this feat alone is enough to estimate SMs speed, but if we combine it with many similar feats, power scaling and statements, that should be enough to make a reasonably good estimation.

@buttersdaman000 said:

2. So, you're still speculating at how powerful the blast that hit Goku are....if the one that was confirmed to have split the planet had actually hit Goku, then yeah, that would be evidence of planet level durability, but it didn't.

Is it really a speculation to say that Frieza put more a lot more effort when he fired an energy beam at Goku, than when he fired an energy beam at planet Vegeta? Just take a look at those 2 scans up there. It's also not a speculation to say that Frieza who tried real hard, and failed to hurt Goku was far more powerful than Frieza who effortlessly destroyed planet Vegeta. Goku even says " you destroyed a whole planet, and you can't even defeat one of its inhabitants."

Just because this logic doesn't work within the marvel universe, it doesn't mean it's not a sound logic, the problem is in the marvel universe not in this kind of methodology. Within the Marvel universe, pretty much any significant character was able to put up a fight against character which are a tier or two above them. Thor was able to put up a fight against guys like Odin, Celestials or Galactus, but guys like Wolverine, Spiderman, Iron man were also able to put up a good fight against Thor. This doesn't make much sense, but this kind of crap happens consistently throughout the marvel universe, Spider Man survives a punch from an enraged Hulk in one chapter, and then some peak human hurts him with a punch in another.

I'm not saying DBZ has no problems with consistency and whatnot, but DBZ problems are different from Marvel/DC problems, and thus different approach is necessary when estimating the capabilities of DBZ characters, assuming we really want ot make the best possible estimation. Within the DBZ universe someone like Nappa could never put up a fight against someone like Frieza. If Nappa and Frieza were going to fight, there are only 3 possible outcomes, either Frieza is going to one shot him, or Frieza is going to play with him and kill him slowly, or Nappa will get some insane power up and become able to fight Frieza.

I'm not saying every attack has a planet busting power, but when a character that is massively more powerful than a casual planet busters puts a lot of effort to fire an energy beam, then quite cleary the best possible conclusion we can make is that this beam almost certainly has planet+ level busting power.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein:

1. The feat is fine in story, but useless on the battle forums. It may have been obvious what the writer was trying to convey, but without specifics, one could easily rationalize the feat to their favor. Do you know how fast they were talking? Do you know the time frame of each panel. Like I said before, without those specifics the feat could range from FTL to Hypersonic. And it's true for Superman that we could use other feats to probably determine how fast he was going, but statements are out of the window unless they're backed up. For example, by statement, Superman can react within the femtosecond which is a timeframe so small that light hardly begins to move.

Power Scaling, IMO, will always be one of the lowest common denominators of debating. It's used in DBZ simply because there are multipliers present in the story, but I really believe the logic is faulty at best. Can we power scale for Superman? IIRC, every 15 minutes in the sun gives him twice the power, so why are characters like Superman Prime one million considered featless?

2. So, am I to assume that every punch Superman throws is at least strong enough to destroy a moon as long as he tried really hard? If Superman, addressing Imperiex, had said something like "You destroyed a whole galaxy, but you can't even destroy one of it's inhabitants", would that make Superman powerful enough to survive attacks on that scale? It's the same logic.....

3. It's not sound logic at all...proof is proof, and that's what you lack. Replace those above scans of Goku with Nappa, and try to come to the same conclusion. And for the record, characters do punch above their weight class in DBZ. Off the bat, Gohan took hits and even hurt Frieza when they fought.

4. There's a difference between speculation and reaching a conclusion.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit474: you keep using pre new 52 superman feats, does that mean you think goku stomps new 52 superman?

No, I don't. Superman's still able to survive in deep space and was flying through black holes in New 52

SirMethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1: Apologies for the (very)late reply.

That said, let's get on with it:

"I'm 100% certain the 'gravity didn't change' is mentioned nowhere in the series, ever. Since your argument is based on it, I'm going to ask for proof. Because when something is damaged, it's gravity has to change, near compulsory."

1. You're right, flat out saying that "it didn't change", is claiming knowledge I don't actually have. I retract the statement and apologize for the misunderstanding. The correct statement would be that there is no indication that it(the gravity of the planet) ever changed.

"I don't have to. When an object that size attracts has 10x earth's gravity, there's no other explanation possible at all."

Not true. I have already given one possible, other, explanation.

And to repeat a statement I've made before(in this thread iirc), we're talking about a universe where the destruction of the Moon had no negative impact on the Earth, where the Moon has(or at least had) a breathable atmosphere, and where moving faster than sound doesn't generate sonic booms. That the real world laws of physics are not entirely valid, is pretty obvious. And "real world laws of physics" is the only thing that you seem to be basing your statement, about the correlation between mass and gravity, on.

In comparison, the explanation of "magic"(for the lack of a better word), seems far more reasonable, all things considered.

@mortein:

"I was under impression that when the Bills made the planet explode, it's core imploded and formed the extremely dense but tiny planet. Similarly like when a star explodes it leaves behind a neutron star, or a black hole.

But even if we grant the possibility that King Kai used the magic to increase the gravity of the planet, we need to take into consideration what kind of magic Kai's were shown to have.

Kai's were shown to be able to increase the mass of an object like here for example"

1. Just like princearagorn1, you seem to be basing your statements on real world laws of physics, which is silly at best.

2. No, the Kais were not shown increasing the mass, they were shown increasing the weight(there's a difference). How, exactly, they changed the weight, is information we are not actually given.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why was this bumped?

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirmethos:

Apologies for the (very)late reply. That said, let's get on with it:

lol, that's alright. Welcome back.

1. You're right, flat out saying that "it didn't change", is claiming knowledge I don't actually have. I retract the statement and apologize for the misunderstanding. The correct statement would be that there is no indication that it(the gravity of the planet) ever changed.

"I don't have to. When an object that size attracts has 10x earth's gravity, there's no other explanation possible at all."

Not true. I have already given one possible, other, explanation.

When you say some fictional force is involved, you need something to back it up. The planet having 10x gravity has never been attributed to magic, despite the discussion about it.

And to repeat a statement I've made before(in this thread iirc), we're talking about a universe where the destruction of the Moon had no negative impact on the Earth, where the Moon has(or at least had) a breathable atmosphere, and where moving faster than sound doesn't generate sonic booms. That the real world laws of physics are not entirely valid, is pretty obvious. And "real world laws of physics" is the only thing that you seem to be basing your statement, about the correlation between mass and gravity, on.

So? That's like saying 'because superman can go faster than light, no law of physics ever holds up in DC'

In comparison, the explanation of "magic"(for the lack of a better word), seems far more reasonable, all things considered.

There's no reason to involve magic when there's not even a hint of it.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By dum529001

Attention Fanboys.

Goku is in fact a planet buster . Through seeing all the events of Dragon Ball, especially related to the people he's beaten or even beaten to near death, the proof is made known. Beerus the humanoid cat-god wipes out galaxies with ease and all who have seen the Battle of the Gods movie know how well Super Saiyan god Goku did in that fight.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

superman was never better than goku

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

his skill levels are enough

vptwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No proof has surfaced about Screwattacks Physical abilities of Goku being wrong, however i do believe that Goku's sheer firepower is far stronger than superman's so that is probably what could kill him.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

I always thought it was overzealous that people think Superman fights at FTL speeds. If he did so, he would never lose to anyone, ever. Superman seems to draw his striking power from super-strength via incredible mass and muscle density, not from incredible limb speed, like the Flash or Zoom do. Force = Mass x Acceleration, it seems to me Superman leans towards the Mass side of that equation while Flash leans towards the Acceleration side. Both lead to incredible force, but in reality are functionally different.

He has moved very quickly in flight and travel, but in actual limb movement or perceptions, I don't believe Superman fights at even near light speed. With his raw strength, if he did so, he would literally never lose, but we have all seen Superman get hit, have trouble tagging someone, or lose or struggle in multiple battles.