What Do You Want From a Marvel Reboot?

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

So with Secret Wars being another Marvel event that is being talked about to lead into a DC style reboot of the Marvel I thought why not share some ideas that we have for a reboot. One of the things DC did wrong in my opinion is not listen to what the fans want. Hopefully Marvel realizes this and take these thoughts into consideration. I get that New 52 was meant to be fresh for new readers though I think DC pushed many fans away that has been supporting them for so long.

Anyways one of the things I would like to see is everyone just beginning. Or at least close to the beginning stages. I like the fact that DC did that though it does to lead to confusion. With the timeline we now are not sure (or at least early on we weren't) what events stayed. Really I think avoiding the keeping of certain events would be nice. Either take all out or keep some in. Small references that can easily be explained, okay. Though no keeping big events like DC did with Blackest Night for the Green Lanterns or Dick Grayson being Batman for the books or the Death of Superman. Really I think it will be easier for both new and old.

Another thing is I think Marvel should keep that one page that explains whats going on. I find it easy to know whats going on in a book from Marvel due to these pages. I really wish DC would do something similar. I mean yeah with some I'll research on the Interwebs just because I want to know more though the explanation pages does its job.

NO MORE RENUMBERING MARVEL! I get the number is friendlier to new readers as well though it can also lead to confusion and frustration. At least for collectors. I don't know that bothers me. I think its too gimmicky. Keep the numbering going along. Make the books friendlier to read.

NO BIG EVENTS! At least for a year or two. I know it makes money and sadly we'll buy into it though it'll add to confusion. Events bring many meaningless things to the comics. Really just focus on the characters.

Make the books have one or two or even three part stories. Shorter stories that'll be nice, fun, and easy to read. The Silver Age was a successful time for comics, especially Marvel and it was done all the time. Big events don't always have to be in the titles.

Some book ideas I have are returning the Fantastic Four back to basic, start the X-Men with the original 5 and have them add some new members in time, give Wolverine his own book before he joins Marvel's Merry Mutants, make Hulk more the Jekll/Hyde monster hero. With the other mutants have them make guest appearances in other books before joining the X-Men. Daredevils should go through his costume changes. I also think it would be cool if they did this for Iron Man as well. Spider-man is in high school and little longer. That has always been a stand out thing for him yet really in the comics he spent most of his time in college. I think with Captain America it'd be cool to have one book with his war adventures and one book with his modern day adventures.

Really that's all I can think of right now though I'll probably think of more later. Tell me what you all think!

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Transformers1024

Things I want from Marvel

- For them NOT to reboot

- Stop re-numbering comics every 12-16 issues

- Bring back the Fantastic Four

- Retcon the lastest retcon about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch

- Just stop retcons in general just so it can line up with the movies -- that sh!t got old really fast

- Stop "killing" off a character every year just for the publicity. That also got annoying really fast.

- Kick Bendis off Guardians of the Galaxy and Uncanny X-Men

- Slow down on the constant cross over events

- We don't need 8 different Avengers and X-Men teams and books. They're honestly not THAT interesting

- Put Steve Rogers back in the Cap mantle. I supported the idea of Sam Wilson becoming Cap for a while, but his adventures have been mediocre at best so far.

- Quit pricing your #1's at $5 a piece, because I'm not wasting that much money on a comic.

- Hire both Charles Soule and Andrea Sorrentino for the new Daredevil creative team.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

fix up the chronology...it's just messed up

if characters are dead, they stay dead...don't keep resurrecting them over and over again

keep consistency...not have characters jump power levels

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Write good stories

(and make Daredevil noir again)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

- For them NOT to reboot

- Just stop retcons in general just so it can line up with the movies -- that sh!t got old really fast

- Stop "killing" off a character every year just for the publicity. That also got annoying really fast.

- We don't need 8 different Avengers and X-Men teams and books. They're honestly not THAT interesting

- Put Steve Rogers back in the Cap mantle. I supported the idea of Sam Wilson becoming Cap for a while, but his adventures have been mediocre at best so far.

- Quit pricing your #1's at $5 a piece, because I'm not wasting that much money on a comic.

- Hire both Charles Soule and Andrea Sorrentino for the new Daredevil creative team.

I agree on most of these. And you know how I always say "I didn't know I wanted that"? Sorrentino on Daredevil is one of those things.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm still in doubt such a thing will happen. But it would be nice to see them clean up the timeline a little bit, bring the Fantastic Four back to the forefront, cut down some of the unesscary Xvengers books, Give Bendis the support he needs to do a proper reboot of the Ultimate line (and bring back Mark Millar) and maybe retcon One More Day?

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retcon On more day out of existence

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

- For them NOT to reboot

I miss comics with #'s reaching 100 and above, last time I read a comic like that was X-Factor (Madrox and the gang).

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I want there not to be a reboot, haha, because that worked out so well for DC.

- TAS

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: sorry, I don't follow Judge Dredd. Is it currently worth reading?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't want them to reboot.

I also don't mind the re-numbering. New creative teams often take books into completely different directions so I enjoy not having a couple transition issues while they get their pieces aligned. There is a big difference between the tone of Bendis' Avengers versus Hickman's. The new volume gave Hickman a clean break that he can set up how he wants with an indeterminate amount of time passing between the end of Bendis' run so he can add and remove whatever pieces necessary. If a creative team is going to continue the story of the previous creative team, then keep the numbering, but if not, start a new volume.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No reboot needed.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think Marvel has already angered a lot of its long term fans with moves like tearing apart the X-Men and having the Avengers go time and world tripping these past couple of years. Crossovers and renumbering are annoying but I've gotten used to it for the most part. If there is one thing I'd like to see stop, it's the slow, glacier pace of most books. And please, please, can we have things happen as close as possible to what's happening in other books, time-wise?

I do like the OP's suggestions, overall. Here's to hoping some will be reflected in this "non reboot" Reboot.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv Good to know you liked New 52! I liked it too, don't understand why others don't like it, but sadly, many people don't.

- TAS

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv Good to know you liked New 52! I liked it too, don't understand why others don't like it, but sadly, many people don't.

- TAS

It has it's upsides and downsides, but I want someone to look at me with a straight face and tell me that they liked EVERY SINGLE THING pre-Flashpoint and seriously mean it.

Everything has it's good and bad, and I like the good that came with Flashpoint. Do I wish some things were different? Of course. I had the same gripe Pre-Flashpoint though, and until I'm in charge at DC (cross your fingers,) I'll probably always feel like that. However, I'll always give props where props are due and for titles like Lemires' Arrow, Aquaman, Action Comics, etc. props are due.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: We both know an average fan being in charge of DC would be the best thing in the world :) I mean, why... are we fans too dumb to handle property?

- TAS

Smoking_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Smoking_Gun

I am in the 'no reboot' camp. However I am also in the camp of there are too many X-men and Avengers titles. Narrow it down, 2 or 3 are more than sufficient. I really don't care about numbering too much, but I don't think the books have to renumber as often as they have been. Ultimately the focus should really be on the stories and artwork. If those are at their best then they will have successful series that people will shell out bucks for.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: I think plenty of people who are fans are smart enough. It's just breaking into the business that's difficult, but hey. Plenty of guys have made it before. Why not you, me, or someone else here?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_stegman  Moderator

They need a reboot, especially with the X Men.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Havenless

A lot of the posts in here read: "Keep everything the old-fashioned way. Stop changing!"

Is anyone familiar with the word neophobia?

Smoking_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of the posts in here read: "Keep everything the old-fashioned way. Stop changing!"

Is anyone familiar with the word neophobia?

I would disagree with this. I feel that people are not asking for things to stop changing but rather the publishers do not make rash and stupid changes just for the sake of making changes. I, and I think others, feel that DC and Marvel are doing things in their comics for the shock factor or to make complete turn arounds of characters for the sake of change rather than to move plot lines forward. There are lots of ways to make drastic changes to comics and introduce new characters without adjusting continuity or forcing the changes into the story line. I look at when Walt Simonson was writing Thor, he introduced characters like Beta Ray Bill and Frog Thor which worked right into the existing chronology of Thor. Though shocking changes these books are remembered as great stories with fun new characters. I don't feel the same can be said of a lot of the changes being made in the comics by DC and Marvel currently. This is what I think mostly people take issue with.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back the FF and for the love of god please make things less convoluted

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterkungfu said:

fix up the chronology...it's just messed up

if characters are dead, they stay dead...don't keep resurrecting them over and over again

keep consistency...not have characters jump power levels

Why would you want that? it's one of the very things that make comics comics. If you don't want that, read a book, watch a show, or read Japanese comics instead.

Star_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More Civil War

Less Age of Ultron

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Squirrel-Girl dropping the N-bomb........

antimutant001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

No squirrel girl or howard the duck, or even deadpool.

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want there not to be a reboot, haha, because that worked out so well for DC.

- TAS

Pretty much what I was going to say.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

- Stop the constant renumbering. If anything, stick to those big #1s to show the start of a new arc.

- Make characters more consistent

- write good stories

- Mix up some of the creative teams, especially the ones for GotG and Iron Fist please

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterkungfu: If that's how you feel then stop reading, no character should stay dead permanently (unless it's uncle Ben), it's part of comics.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me-

Stop the renumbering. As a collector, I don't like figuring out which volume of a character/team I am missing an issue of. If they really want to branch out a character on some idea or theme, then maybe do what they did with Spider-Man, and give the character different title names such as "Web of" or "The Spectacular".

More consistency, especially with the continuity. If a character is shot or severely injured in one comic, do not dismiss it in any crossover he/she has, or forget about it right away. Also, if a character can't teleport, and they are stuck under some mountain in their solo issue, then have them noticeably absent in any team book that month (or a brief few panels of them in whatever situation they are in).

Evolution is good, but change for shock value is bad. Creating a new bad guy every week who can crush planets and beat down Superman with one arm behind his back just comes across as desperate. Introduce the character, build them up. Basically the writers should focus on telling a good story and not so much on whether or not their newest creation can be as iconic or memorable as Doomsday. If the story they tell is good enough, people will remember.

What is old is new again. Comic books have well over 70 years of material to draw inspiration from. In some instances even cheesy villains from the 1960's can be "revived" and made relevant. They could become a heroes new nemesis, just another "bad guy of the week" or possibly even a new hero or love interest for an existing character.

Restart the Max line for Marvel comics. This is a good place for those who want to enjoy the antiheroes in all their glory and gory.

Don't kill a character just because. If the writer is bored with the character or ran out of ideas, hand the character off or put the character on hiatus. A character's death should mean something and not result in eye rolling and "ok, see them in a year". I read this idea somewhere online and I agree with that person 100%

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No squirrel girl or howard the duck, or even deadpool.

I agree with all, but i can live with Deadpool that is in 90's crazy and stuff but he isn't breaking the fourth wall. As long as he doesn't become Bugs Bunny and don't have reality warping powers i am fine with his insanity.

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

- For them NOT to reboot

I agree with all this lol

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MAZAHS117

On one hand, I REALLY don't want an entire universe reboot...but on the other, the XMEN section of MARVEL is very confusing and convoluted from what it use to be, so I honestly wouldn't mind if that got retconned.

Bring in Miles

Take it easy on the "universe changing/things will never be the same again!" events. Feels like we're getting 2-3 of those a year now

Restore the MARVEL Big 3. Cap is Steve Rogers, Thor is Odinson (worthy). Tone down, not completely, the douchey-ness of Stark

For the love of god! STOP RENUMBERING BOOKS. They went crazy with issue#1's for a while there.

Bring in Miracle Man

Bring back the Villains. I mean actual evil bad guys. Not "shades of gray" villains, real evil-doers. SOOOOO tired of hero vs hero arcs and events

Focus on strong character story arcs centered around single books instead of defaulting to cross-overs.

Be original. I know the "House of Ideas" is capable of this. Actually create new characters, don't just give said character anothers name and powers (Looking at you Fem-Thor)

.....this all I think of for now

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be good, at this point of all this insanity in comic book, because of the movies and their wich to beat Fox.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would honestly love it if they started from scratch.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

@quickfingers26 : I agree with everything you said, especially about the fact that they need to stop forcing events into the stories just for the sake of shock factor.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Big Hero 6 comic