What do you think makes Geoff Johns so respected?

• 70 results
SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I may not always agree with his writing decisions but he has the position he has for a reason and he has written some great comics. What do you think it is about him which makes him so appealing? For Grant Morrison people love or hate his complex plots, with BKV people love his story telling and his characters, with Alan Moore people love how intelligent his writing is (or was?) but what is it about Johns? Please let's not flame on him. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000
No Caption Provided

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I love the comedy he ties in.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He writes (most) characters to have some actual personality. Few people can write Hal or Arthur quite like him.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Aquaman is why all my friends love him.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Green Lantern.

thebiggestg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because of Batman?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He made GL what it is today. And for that, i thank him.

Beata

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

He's an amazing writer, he's done so much for DC and comics in general, heck he's the closest thing we have to a modern day Stan Lee.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I don't really like Johns or BKV

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

Have you read what he did to Green Lantern from start to finish ?

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He did a amazing job with GL

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

@sog7dc said:

@shadowswordmaster:

Yeah i have. It's hit or miss for me personally.

Your right about but still he did some good things.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JulieDC

I think he has good ideas that makes most of the characters he writes for interesting as well as great ideas to improve the mythos such as Flash and Green Lantern. Also, he writes in a way that is both entertaining and accessible to anyone new or old to comics. I think that last part is the biggest reason people like his writings.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowswordmaster: no doubt. Tere are a few pretty big things I would have done differently though. But all in all I should thank him because the things he did with the GLC that I didn't like gave me an awesome idea for my own space police comic.

I'm really just curious what it is about his writing people like, though. I agree that he is really good at giving characters personalities and that he does love to go big with his stories.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

His awesome writing.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he genuinely seems to be a fan of the characters he writes, in addition his Aquaman and GL runs are great. He also does a good job of making substantial changes to DC.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I can't speak for all his work but he made me enjoy Green Lantern.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he gives his characters great character moments and he writes his characters as humans.

Avatar image for kelevrasmashz28
KelevraSmashZ28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is great writer and completely revitalized the Green Lantern and Aquaman mythos with his runs.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

He writes his characters the way fans want him to write them,most of the time it works. His writing skills though are very average.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can't speak for all his work but he made me enjoy Green Lantern.

This, I also really like his Superman stories.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Boynerdgeek

I think only Batman fans hate him much GL, The Flash and Superman fans like me like Geoff Johns

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

He's terrific at world building. The work he did on GL expanded the mythos so much and the way he reinvented Aquaman was terrific.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may not be perfect but Infinite Crisis did make a big DC impact. And his Sinestro Corps War was also epic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

He has talent.

For exemple: Aquaman´s Run, he put the our reality´s public view of Aquaman on Aquaman´s solo tittle and made Aquaman defend himself.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I love his writing.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think only Batman fans hate him much GL, The Flash and Superman fans like me like Geoff Johns

Correction Hal and Barry fans like him,there are considerable GL and Flash fans who hate him much more than Batman fans.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

He has talent.

For exemple: Aquaman´s Run, he put the our reality´s public view of Aquaman on Aquaman´s solo tittle and made Aquaman defend himself.

Which is tantamount to acknowledging that Aquaman does indeed suck and only Johns can make him work

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's a decent writer.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I think it's his understanding and improving of the mythos as well as his ability to take forgotten characters and bring them up to date in a fresh yet accessible way. That's what he's done with Sinestro, Black Adam, Black Hand and more.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I really need to read Geoff's Green Lantern run...

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek said:

I'm a fan of GL/Flash and I don't care for Geoff Johns.

DedrabbiT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He creates a large mythos around the characters he writes. This is very true of his GL stuff and Aquaman stuff to just not as much obviously. Gives them awesome stories and supporting characters. Just overall very well thought out writing.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

His run on Teen Titans is what got me into superhero comics when I was younger, before that I only read UG comedy titles I happen to come across and some Vertigo titles. Nowadays when I re-read it without my nostalgia glasses on I see more flaws but it's still a cool run and inspired me to check out the Marv Wolfman run and got me hooked on the DC universe as a whole. Aquaman and Green Lantern just kinda confirm my appreciation.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Because of how he writes Batman. :D

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

He gives most people what they want, and most people don't want things to be overly complex or challenging.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He writes his characters the way fans want him to write them,most of the time it works. His writing skills though are very average.

He gives most people what they want, and most people don't want things to be overly complex or challenging.

So similar.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By entropy_aegis
mandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But you can never flame Johns enough...I'd say he likes finding characters that aren't very respected and buffs them up. His best work comes when he is building off of others JSA Green Lantern. He's a decent writer who isn't reinventing the wheel, and if DC would just put a leash on him there wouldn't be any problems.

Avatar image for deactivated-652b01b81dedd
deactivated-652b01b81dedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

I may not always agree with his writing decisions but he has the position he has for a reason and he has written some great comics. What do you think it is about him which makes him so appealing? For Grant Morrison people love or hate his complex plots, with BKV people love his story telling and his characters, with Alan Moore people love how intelligent his writing is (or was?) but what is it about Johns? Please let's not flame on him. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Honestly? The guy doesn't forget one of the main reasons people read comics: to watch their favorite characters use their powers successfully by mopping the floor with the enemy. Seriously, it's one of the reasons I personally love his work. He writes stories that showcase the character's powers.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He turned Sinestro into a BAMF.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz said:

@boynerdgeek said:

When did you start reading those two series? If only recently, I understand. No exposure.

But his run on Flash? God damn phenomonal, and his Green Lantern shifted the status quo of the title that's still in place today, not to mention the creation of all the other spectrum corps and expanding that mythos into something legendary full of characters that are unforgettable.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mysoulz

@nickthedevil said:

@mysoulz said:

@boynerdgeek said:

When did you start reading those two series? If only recently, I understand. No exposure.

But his run on Flash? God damn phenomonal, and his Green Lantern shifted the status quo of the title that's still in place today, not to mention the creation of all the other spectrum corps and expanding that mythos into something legendary full of characters that are unforgettable.

I read the Flash series around the beginning of post-crisis. And I read GL stories around the SA era.

There's no doubt he's done some notable things such as expanded the emotional spectrum, created new characters that represented the different corps, used a character such as Sinestro one of the most interesting villains in the DCU, Sinestro Corps War, attracted more new readers from the Blackest Night event, having the Rogues back in the Flash, good work on the JSA, etc.

The expansion of the other spectrum corps is nice and all at the beginning, but the storylines became exhausting, because lots of the stories became a crossover that featured historical elements of the emotional spectrum, which felt a bit...repetitive. Since Johns raised the status quo on the colored spectrum, the new creative team is lessening the scope of the concepts done by Johns, such as wiping out most entities in order to replinish the resovoir, Blue Lantern corps being destroyed, Yrra's relationship with John is no more and no longer a Star Sapphire, which is contradictory that Johns made after the future of the corps before leaving the book. It's definitely a swift move being done here. And judging by the solicits it's possible there's going to be other changes from Johns concepts in the Godhead event.

After GL: Rebirth, I never really cared for the series around then until the Sinestro Corps War came along. They were pretty much mediocre for me along with some of his other works on titles. Putting John Stewart in irrelevant missions that doesn't tie into the story line as an excuse that he doesn't want to do anything with John is unnecessary, which became the reason for John often missing in panels with very little dialogue. The same can be said for Kyle as well, but not as bad. Sometimes he writes more of a fan.

The Flash: Rebirth was good. I quite like his work on the other speedsters in that mini series. Although I liked Professor Zoom more when Waid was writing him. But when he continued to write Barry in The Flash, I didn't cared to much for Barry's characterization, which his character should have been more worked on.

There's other things I question about the way he handles DCU characters and some of the decisions he's made with them.

He always seemed like a hit and miss for me.

I may only be in the minority though.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without him, I would have no idea where the Green Lantern franchise would be today. He spent so much time and work on it and was probably my favorite comic book run of all time.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like too many people are focusing on his Lantern Work, he's done so much more then just that, within and outside of comics.