#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

Whenever you consider a writer one of the best writers around the comic book industry, what traits do you look for that makes you think this writer is the best among your lists?

For me, I look for how many good works the writer has done vs. their bad works. If I see that the writer has written more good comics than bad ones, then I consider that writer to be one of my most favorite writers. For example, I really enjoyed most of Scott Snyder's works on "Batman" and I personally have been enjoying his take on Batman and since I haven't read many bad stories from him (yet), he's one of my favorite comic book writers.

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30159 posts) - - Show Bio

I look for writers who like trying out concepts, it's why I like guys like Morrison. Yeah, when they miss they can miss pretty hard but at least they still make something interesting in the process.

#3 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

I look for writers who like trying out concepts, it's why I like guys like Morrison. Yeah, when they miss they can miss pretty hard but at least they still make something interesting in the process.

I agree. I guess that's why I read a lot of independent comics because over there, the writers can go beyond the story elements and take the characters down a road that you wouldn't expect them to go. They do that at Marvel and DC also, but sometimes they get retconned out of existence no matter how interesting they are.

#4 Edited by judasnixon (8503 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it when a writer knows how to write funny banter between characters.....

#5 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (683 posts) - - Show Bio

A thick head of hair.

#6 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it when a writer knows how to write funny banter between characters.....

Me too! It really makes the dialogue interesting whenever the writer is able to write clever dialogue between the characters.

#7 Posted by tg1982 (2748 posts) - - Show Bio

For me it's that they "get" the character, at least the one's I'm reading about, and that they'll be able to surprise me, in a good way. And are willing to explore new things with a character. Example, Remender on Captain America #8, I was completely surprised at the end of that issue. And also writers that take chances, example Brubaker bringing Bucky back, that was a huge chance and it paid off, but sometimes it backfires.

#8 Edited by Yung ANcient One (5088 posts) - - Show Bio

Witty banter, good research on characters, not being afraid to write/create a story that might be controversial/not liked and avoiding PIS as much as they can.

( + )

#9 Posted by Decoy Elite (30159 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting that a lot of people mention writing in context to pre-created characters.

Not bad mind you, just interesting.

#10 Posted by sinestro_GL (3530 posts) - - Show Bio

Good story-telling, respect for the character, something fresh, something ground-breaking.

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29813 posts) - - Show Bio

Bottom line, the ability to make you care about who they're writing about.

#12 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

whatever gail simone used to make me care about the secret six (especially catman).

#13 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Dialogue that comes naturally. Brian Michael Bendis does that very well. When I read the dialogue it just flows, it sort of feels nice to read it.

#14 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers who push the boundaries as much as possible. Someone who can make you like every character within that story.

#15 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

Witty banter, good research on characters, not being afraid to write/create a story that might be controversial/not liked and avoiding PIS as much as they can.

( + )

I also love writers who have witty dialogue and actually research the characters they are writing. I get so irritated whenever a writer haven't done research on a character and the character is butchered because of it.

#16 Posted by JulieDC (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

A good writer for me is someone who gets the essence of the character right and respects the mythology rather reshape it the way they see fit.

#17 Posted by Reignmaker (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone who can transport me into their world.

#18 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

A good writer for me is someone who gets the essence of the character right and respects the mythology rather reshape it the way they see fit.

I usually get irritated whenever they change the history of the character (unless it's a reboot or something to that nature) because every time they change the character's personality, it just annoys me.

#19 Posted by JediXMan (32424 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Consistency
  • Character development
  • Complex continuity
#20 Posted by cbishop (9187 posts) - - Show Bio

This is going to seem really simple, but: GOOD WRITING.

I need a well written story. I find that in Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon, Kurt Busiek's Astro City, Mike Mignola's Hellboy, Frank Miller's Sin City, Mark Waid's Irredeemable and Empire, Alan Moore's League...Gentlemen, Terra Obscura, Supreme, and Judgment Day, and Robert Kirkman's Invincible, The Walking Dead, The Astounding Wolfman, Guarding the Globe, and even Super Dinosaur. Don't forget Y: The Last Man, Preacher, The Losers, and... way too many others. I don't even know where to start with Marvel & DC, because there have been so many stories I liked.

Dynamic art makes the comic even more enjoyable, but it's not necessary to me. I've enjoyed the simpler style of something like Love Fights or any Archie Comic - just give me a good story.

#21 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
  • Consistency
  • Character development
  • Complex continuity

Basically this.

#22 Edited by JediXMan (32424 posts) - - Show Bio

A thick head of hair.

What do you have against the great Grant Morrison?

#23 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (26239 posts) - - Show Bio

good writing skills?

#24 Posted by Billy Batson (59221 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@mynamewasdeleted said:

A thick head of hair.

What do you have against the great Grant Morrison?

Yet he wrote his better stuff when he had hair. Coincidence? I think not.

BB

#25 Posted by judasnixon (8503 posts) - - Show Bio

I only read books written by people named Brian........ Brian Woods, Brian K Vaughan, Brian azzarello........ Ect.

#26 Edited by tg1982 (2748 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

I usually get irritated whenever they change the history of the character (unless it's a reboot or something to that nature) because every time they change the character's personality, it just annoys me.

Agreed. That's why I'm not digging Gillen's current Iron Man arc.

#27 Posted by lilben42 (2689 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

I only read books written by people named Brian........ Brian Woods, Brian K Vaughan, Brian azzarello........ Ect.

I especially read works by Brian K. Vaughan. He just really knows how to write interesting stories.

#29 Posted by acer51 (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone who makes me care about the characters and then DASHS MY DREAMS FOR THE MAIN CHARACTERS HAPPINESS IN A FUMING PILE OF ASHS.

R.I.P ditko.

#30 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (14917 posts) - - Show Bio

I find a Writer who can project tragedy and heartbreak well, to be very Hank.