#1 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you hate about this site or comics in general? Give a reason as well cause ive read I'm sick of the new 52 because things have chanced enough. I hate the way people can't accept change even if it goes well! We need change a lot of the comics we love have been around a long time and you need to evolve or die

#2 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

First off...love this comic site. THE BEST COMIC SITE IN THE WORLD. Bar none.

The thing I hate the most is the seeming indifference writers seem to have toward the old continuity. I was going through my copies of Silver Surfer and it was refreshing to see the blurbs, indicating the comic and issue a certain event occurred. What happened to that? Editor's and writers get lazy? Eh, maybe.

More than likely, to attract talent outside of comics to write comics, I suppose there has to be some relaxation in terms of what a prospective writer knows about a character's continuity. The guys that piss me off the most are guys like Busiek who is a well known Superman fan that was given the reigns to write the JLA/Avengers crossover. I actually chatted with Mr Busiek (on another site) and was not surprised to learn that much of his knowledge on Thor he researched in issues of Avengers. Everyone knows you get Thor-lite in issues of Avengers (course, nowadays you get Thor lite in an issue of Thor....). His fanboyism shone brightly through when he allowed the now infamous, ignominious loss of Thor at the hands of Superman (but he punks Amazo and Despero? Seriously?). Perhaps the worst thing is imagine if Busiek had've written that as a tie, like most of the Thor/Hulk fights we have seen over the years. THAT is what keeps fans coming back for more...when you leave the match in uncertainty. Instead, he pulled a ROYAL fanboy move and allowed Superman to demolish Thor in that book.

Maybe that should be the topic of a new thread: "Does Superman really have to win EVERY single time to make him relevant?".

#3 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate anything here, though I still think we should have a block feature.

I suppose I wish people were more understanding of peoples different interest and tried to be more polite when they disagreed with one another, but that is more an issue with humanity as a whole then just a comic site.

#4 Posted by Cap10nate (2157 posts) - - Show Bio

I do love this site. The one thread that bothers me is the 'why don't people love (insert character)?' It's as if people need other people's approval of their favorite character in order to enjoy them. I think there is a weekly 'why doesn't anyone respect Superman thread?' He has been the standard for characters for the past 70 plus years. Of course he will have detractors. He is the Yankees of comics. In a poll of favorite and most hated teams in the mlb, the Yankees win both categories. It is the same for the best in any sport or other category. I just think it gets old that people continually bring it up in disbelief that someone else doesn't like him or get upset about it.

I also get tired of the hyperbole that is spawned on stories. It seems that everything is eithet the best or worst thing ever. It is hard to get an accurate reading or review on a story because everything is exaggerated to the extreme.

...that's about it.

#5 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really hate anything on this website (although the constant sports forums sometimes annoys me whenever it pops up on the weekends).
 
For comics, what I hate is lack of character development in many stories.  I noticed that lately, some comics are lacking continuity with the characters and to me, it kind of prevents characters from really growing because there is no past event that ties to the character that could help the character either realize the error of their ways or learn from what happened in the past and prevent it from happening again (the constant use of the Phoenix Force comes to mind).

#6 Edited by The_Tree (7213 posts) - - Show Bio

On this site, I hate that nothing seems to be getting accomplished with the spam. Our mods are doing a decent job with getting rid of it, but I think further measures should be taken at a staff level. I also dislike that there's no more quests or Community Star, those were fun.

In comics, I hate that they've just been throwing in retcons left and right without any thought.

#7 Edited by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_jackolantern said:

What do you hate about this site or comics in general?

3 things i completely hate about this site

1- the spammers, WTF! I never been in a forum with such an amount of Spam, there are ways to improve the web page to avoid this

2- quoting stuff, in other forums, hell even in bleedingcool forum it has this way to quote someone without many problems

here, for whatever reason, if i make a quote and its the last thing of the post, i cant go below it, so i cant respond, i need delete it and then make an space and put the qoute on top, I have no idea why this happens but it happens way to often to me and i just cant get use to it

3- the organization of the forums, i wish there was much clear organization, like for example have a main Batman forum so every single topic that has a tie to anything batman related will be tied to it, but no, every single topic, every single character, etc has its own forum, that is ok, i like that, but without the connectivity of a main forum, a topic can be lost and forgotten forever

for example, the other day i made a topic about Lucius Fox, about if he should be as involved in the comic as he is in the nolan movies, and I put it in the Batman Forum, which a mod then changed to the Lucius Fox Forum, which has only 3 entries,plus mine, so only someone who wants to talk about lucius fox will find it, and yet it got a ton of responces mainly because it was recent topic, now is just buried and gone

or another example i made a topic about Hellblazer, well is only relevant in Hellblazer, if someone checks John Constantine, he is not going to find it

so it needs a better organization system

#8 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

People that pronounce that as thott or pronounce anything with an Aeh sound as Ahh i,e, "OMG OMG OMG Thott water was Flahht".

Mint or peanut-butter flavored anything.

Poorly designed or rendered swords.

#9 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Rampant misogyny in comics. It's not an equality issue, it's bad writing.

#10 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree said:

On this site, I hate that nothing seems to be getting accomplished with the spam. Our mods are doing a decent job with getting rid of it, but I think further measures should be taken at a staff level. I also dislike that there's no more quests or Community Star, those were fun.

In comics, I hate that they've just been throwing in retcons left and right without any thought.

I definitely agree with this!  Especially about how retcons are being thrown in without any good reason and that just ruins any chance of character development the characters could have.
#11 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate that Red does not change clothes between Gen III and Gen IV or V. I hate that they replaced his awesome Espeon with stupid chubby Lapras for the remakes.

I hate that the fight scenes and space battles in the Original trilogy aren't as epic as the Prequel trilogy. Cursed lapse in technology!

Not hate: but I wish ComicVine had a random button like every other wiki that takes you to random pages

#12 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise is that Pokemon hate?

#13 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate how many people are killed off in comics for effect then brought back again because they're good characters. Either keep them alive or replace them with equally good characters, no more resurrections.

#14 Posted by ThanoStomp (781 posts) - - Show Bio

Really not liking all the Marvel/DC vs. Anime/DBZ battles going on right now.... It's like some kids just found this site and told ALL of their friends. Great for the Vine in terms of traffic. But I would prefer those types of battles go into a separate battle forum, or the battle forum gets some sub-forums to catagorize the battles better.

#15 Posted by Daycrawler (552 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate hate so hate myself for hating. It's a vicious circle.

Self-loathing aside, I really hate when a promo or teaser comes out and people suddenly pounce on it and proclaim that it will be the sh!ttier than a turd sandwich, despite knowing pretty much nothing about it. Some people seem only to need the slightest provocation before unleashing a torrent of abuse or derision. I swear that some people actually read stuff that they don't enjoy just so they can get a perverse pleasure in hating it and proclaiming that hate to the world in the most infantile way possible.

#16 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

I do love this site. The one thread that bothers me is the 'why don't people love (insert character)?' It's as if people need other people's approval of their favorite character in order to enjoy them. I think there is a weekly 'why doesn't anyone respect Superman thread?' He has been the standard for characters for the past 70 plus years. Of course he will have detractors. He is the Yankees of comics. In a poll of favorite and most hated teams in the mlb, the Yankees win both categories. It is the same for the best in any sport or other category. I just think it gets old that people continually bring it up in disbelief that someone else doesn't like him or get upset about it.

I also get tired of the hyperbole that is spawned on stories. It seems that everything is eithet the best or worst thing ever. It is hard to get an accurate reading or review on a story because everything is exaggerated to the extreme.

...that's about it.

Exactly. There is so much Superman love, it's ridiculous.

Superman is the vanilla ice-cream of superheroes, typically everyone's favorite. But there are some of us out there that like chocolate (Thor), or whatever...you get my drift...we can't all like vanilla. And to me, that's okay. Everyone does not HAVE to like vanilla all the doggone time.

#17 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate that Jonathan Lau doesn't do pencils on Green Hornet anymore

#18 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6029 posts) - - Show Bio

ummm I can't find anything to hate. this site is pretty kewl.

#19 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_jackolantern said:

@knightrise is that Pokemon hate?

Yes it is.

#20 Posted by XiiX (7434 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThanoStomp said:

Really not liking all the Marvel/DC vs. Anime/DBZ battles going on right now.... It's like some kids just found this site and told ALL of their friends. Great for the Vine in terms of traffic. But I would prefer those types of battles go into a separate battle forum, or the battle forum gets some sub-forums to catagorize the battles better.

#21 Edited by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn: DAMN FREAKIN STRAIGHT!!! Same with Bionic Man.

I hate all of these fake accounts that are posting all of these stupid FFA VS (@) POP LIVE AT 10 crap.

#22 Posted by The Stegman (23082 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing I dislike (not hate) about this site is when people come on threads simply to write "Been Done" or "Spite" especially in the latter's case when the battle isn't spite, but just the user's opinion that it's spite.

#23 Edited by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

What i dislike about this site:

  • Babs- Not much as hatred as just " not my favorite member". She has a lot of unpoular opinions when it comes to comics,movies or tv, and I think her reviews are the weakest between Tony, Matt, and Greg.
  • Anime/DBZ battles- Gets really reptitive and silly even for a "who would win" thread.

That is pretty much it, ComicVine kicks azz .

#24 Posted by AssertingValor (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

Noobs gota hate em

#25 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this site because no one I know personally reads comics. And I never get to talk about comics with anyone.

Comics in general the only thing that bother me about them is unfinished stories, or stories so great you want more from that world.

#26 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoboShark said:

I love this site because no one I know personally reads comics. And I never get to talk about comics with anyone.

Same. I usually have to boost up what I'm talking about to my friends and make it sound extra badass to even get anyone to listen.

#27 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@RoboShark said:

I love this site because no one I know personally reads comics. And I never get to talk about comics with anyone.

Same. I usually have to boost up what I'm talking about to my friends and make it sound extra badass to even get anyone to listen.

lol I don't even try with people I know don't read or have 0 interest. Every now and then I go off like "Weeeeeelllllllll in the comics..." And then I realize everyone in earshot wants me to shut up.

#28 Posted by Dernman (14739 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate how much comics cost.

#29 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoboShark said:

@KnightRise said:

@RoboShark said:

I love this site because no one I know personally reads comics. And I never get to talk about comics with anyone.

Same. I usually have to boost up what I'm talking about to my friends and make it sound extra badass to even get anyone to listen.

lol I don't even try with people I know don't read or have 0 interest. Every now and then I go off like "Weeeeeelllllllll in the comics..." And then I realize everyone in earshot wants me to shut up.

lmao exactly! If I make a prediction or point out a difference, they just go "Oh". Explaining how I know these things is even worse. Even with Nightwing, I'm forced to utter "He's the first Robin...but all grown up". Hurts my soul, that does. But sometimes my friends want the story told to them, and yet they still won't read!

I had to go into damage control mode so fast when John Blake's name was revealed to be Robin!!! >.<

/nerd rant

#30 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@RoboShark said:

@KnightRise said:

@RoboShark said:

I love this site because no one I know personally reads comics. And I never get to talk about comics with anyone.

Same. I usually have to boost up what I'm talking about to my friends and make it sound extra badass to even get anyone to listen.

lol I don't even try with people I know don't read or have 0 interest. Every now and then I go off like "Weeeeeelllllllll in the comics..." And then I realize everyone in earshot wants me to shut up.

lmao exactly! If I make a prediction or point out a difference, they just go "Oh". Explaining how I know these things is even worse. Even with Nightwing, I'm forced to utter "He's the first Robin...but all grown up". Hurts my soul, that does. But sometimes my friends want the story told to them, and yet they still won't read!

I had to go into damage control mode so fast when John Blake's name was revealed to be Robin!!! >.<

/nerd rant

lol yeah even when people ask for the info their faces look like their being forced the information.

#31 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this site. I love the news, reviews, and the clever discussions popping out here and there.

I hate trolls but I tolerate them cause I'm one myself. The hypocrisy!!!!! Yeah whatever. Nyahahahaha!

I very much hate fanatics and their counterparts, the haters. People who don't know what they're talking about and yet act as if they do and try to do some ad hominems and red herrings if their arguments are being picked apart. To be specific, here are just a few of the ones I'v had run-ins with:

  • Zoom fanboys - "Zoom beats everyone".... Sigh.... Time manip can only go so far, people!
  • Batman fanboys (especially those who think Bats beat Supes canonically) - "All he needs is prep"... Again... Sigh...
  • Superman haters - I don't really have any beef with you if you hate the character because you have read his comics and have concluded that he is not your cup of tea. But saying things like "he is overpowered" or "he is unrelateable" despite he fact that you have not read a single Superman book? Bullcrap! And this goes to all haters of characters you don't read about.
  • Superman fanboys - I'm one of this sites biggest Superman fanboys but I'm a staunch Superman fanboy hater myself (hypocrisy again eh?). A lot of people here just base their Superman knowledge on the Reeves films, Smallville, or DCAU. Ok, I'm not gonna bash people for liking a certain character because of other media but for pity's sake don't generalize the character because of a certain rendition! And to those who read Superman comics and still think Superman can beat the likes of Silver Surfer.... What drugs are you on?!?!?! Oh and I don't want to start about them Superman Prime (One Million) fanboys.... The guy had no high-end feats for pity's sake!
  • Bruce Lee fanboys - "Bruce Lee is so unbeatable even against real top fighter"... BS!!! Bruce was a great martial artist and may very well be a P4P powerhouse but saying he'd beat people 4-5 weight classes above him is just BS.
  • And a lot more!

I also hate extremists. Talks of ideologies is Ok, I guess. Conservatism, liberalism, whatever. But some take the discussions to a whole new level of intolerance and elitism that is just so full of their BS agenda. This goes to all sides.

#32 Posted by Shallbecomeabat (33 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the fact that DC takes soooooo loooooong to get their trades and hardcovers out. I am a trade waiter, since I really don't have the space to collect floppies and I love the look of my hardcovers in my shelves (the more oversized, deluxe, absolute, ultimate the collections are the more I love 'em), so it is really painful for me to wait this long. For example, with Batman Inc. The first HC came out six months ago, it ended with the Leviathan Strikes issue. Since the new volume is currently at issue five, I believe, it will take at least another seven months for all issues coming out. On top of that DC will THEN take anything between another six months or a year to get the second hardcover out. So, all in all, I have to wait for one and a half, if not two full years for the continuation of the story. Same thing with Court Of Owls. I will get the second hardcover in march 2013, I think. I don't even want to think about how long I will have to wait to read Synders Joker arc. Aaaaaarrrrrrgghhhh!!! I mean, sure, I could buy the issues, but I want the hardcover for my collection and I don't have the money to double dip. Also... Marvel releases their trades like a week after the arc has finished, so it would definately be possible to speed that up. To be honest, this is one of the big reasons I am back reading a lot of Marvel stuff, which I didn't for a few years. At least with Marvel I get four Uncanny X-Force hardbacks released in one year! Well sadly with Marvel, I often only get four issues in a hardback and that sucks too. Another thing that bothers me... page count reduction. I mean, come on!!! 20 pages per issue??? Really? I never knew they did that until I read my first few New 52 trades and the whole rythm felt kinda... off. Anyways... I love this site and love the reviews and podcasts.