What do you do if your favorite charcter is in comic limbo?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

If a character is in comic book limbo, it usually means that they are not featured in any stories for a few years or months. So, if your favorite character is in comic book limbo, what do you do about it?

Personally, if one of my favorite characters is not being featured in the comics for a long time, I tend to stop reading the comic books that my favorite characters are featured in until my favorite character comes back into the comic book universe.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By RedQueen

I just wait it out, and hope that creative team has enough sense to bring them back... not exactly the most effective of methods but it works for me. Or, alternatively, look around for material that the characters appeared in but haven't read yet.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Characters don't mean that much to me, it all depends on the writer 

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By infonation

@RedQueen: Good advice! (I wish I'd thought of it MYSELF!)

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By boschePG

I start writing fanfics until they come back

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I hope for a change, like I did with X-Man... now I wish he stayed in limbo.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

Reread appearances of the character from yesteryear and talk more about said character in the forums.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By the_tree

My favorite character is Booster Gold, and he's about to enter limbo once JLI gets cancelled. I can't imagine myself doing anything over the top. I'll probably write DC and ask them to give him some spotlight, then further go on to read back issues of him. Then I'll continue on, and just read the current books I like and hope that he'll return one day.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@boschePG said:

Me too!

@RedQueen said:

I just wait it out, and hope that creative team has enough sense to bring them back... not exactly the most effective of methods but it works for me. Or, alternatively, look around for material that the characters appeared in but haven't read yet.

I also do the same thing. At the same time, I hope a better writer comes along and does my character justice.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BatWatch

Cry and whine.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedQueen

@boschePG said:

I also do this :P

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By hectorsquall

@RedQueen said:

This. I also hope that the writer who bring him back won't use the character as a crappy plot device, butchering him and destroying everything I've ever liked about him... :(

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@hectorsquall said:

@RedQueen said:

This. I also hope that the writer who bring him back won't use the character as a crappy plot device, butchering him and destroying everything I've ever liked about him... :(

I agree also. The worst thing about characters coming back from a limbo is guessing who will write the character once they come back.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RedQueen

@hectorsquall said:

@RedQueen said:

Ah, Remender I remember him un-fondly.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Billy Batson

A shout out to the Wally West fans, lol.
BB

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RedQueen

And Stephanie Brown/ Zatanna.

I hope they appear in the new 52 soon, I running out of ideas for fan-fics to write.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jorgevy

@The_Tree: Booster as appeared in Blue beetle so maybe he will appear more often then after JLI goes down

@RedQueen: ins't Zatanna in JL Dark? I've only read the first issues but Im pretty sure...

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedQueen

@Jorgevy said:

@RedQueen: ins't Zatanna in JL Dark? I've only read the first issues but Im pretty sure...

I must find this....I had no idea. o.0

How did I miss that?

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CrimsonCake

@RedQueen said:

@Jorgevy said:

How did I miss that?

Haven't you looked into it?Also they changed her costume...You may not like it.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RedQueen

@CrimsonCake said:

@RedQueen said:

@Jorgevy said:

How did I miss that?

Haven't you looked into it?Also they changed her costume...You may not like it.

Well, I kind of did, a while ago...... Actually, I have no idea how I missed it, no idea at all.

Right, ok *prepares self*

Edit: The costume change isn't that bad, I will miss her old look though. I was literally expecting the worst. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction..which was, admittedly, her profile page. But still :p Anyone know whether JL Dark is any good, (I'll read it regardless either way)

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jorgevy

@RedQueen said:

Edit: The costume change isn't that bad, I will miss her old look though. I was literally expecting the worst. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction..which was, admittedly, her profile page. But still :p Anyone know whether JL Dark is any good, (I'll read it regardless either way)

yeah the costume isn't bad at all, it's not the same as before but I like it. Also, from what I've read of JL Dark, it's good. It has Constantine, Deadman, etc.. I like it

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RedQueen

@Jorgevy said:

@RedQueen said:

yeah the costume isn't bad at all, it's not the same as before but I like it. Also, from what I've read of JL Dark, it's good. It has Constantine, Deadman, etc.. I like it

*added to Pull List*

I honestly believe I may have been living under a rock since this was released.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jorgevy

@RedQueen: aahahha it happens. I just thought it was weird, what you said, and replied because Zatanna could've been cut off the ongoing without me knowing, (Im a bit late on the more recent ones) but I just grabbed JLD #11 and took a look and she is there!

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RedQueen

.@Jorgevy said:

@RedQueen: aahahha it happens. I just thought it was weird, what you said, and replied because Zatanna could've been cut off the ongoing without me knowing, (Im a bit late on the more recent ones) but I just grabbed JLD #11 and took a look and she is there!

It's a shame it's 11:30 pm, otherwise I would be in my local comic book shop right now picking up a few issues. They wouldn't dare cut Zatanna off, lest they feel my wrath! :D Especially now, since I know that DC haven't exiled her to limbo.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jorgevy

@RedQueen: ahahah, I supose you are british? but yeah, if you're such a Zatanna groupie, definatally do pick some! just don't harm anyone in DC, we need them

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RedQueen

@Jorgevy said:

@RedQueen: ahahah, I supose you are british? but yeah, if you're such a Zatanna groupie, definatally do pick some! just don't harm anyone in DC, we need them

(Yep, I'm British :D)

I think I can hold off harming the people at DC, but if they in any way destroy the history/characterization of Zatanna or any of my other favourite characters *shakes fist*

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jorgevy

@RedQueen: note to self: Do not work for DC, risk of angry lethal fans

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RedQueen

@Jorgevy said:

@RedQueen: note to self: Do not work for DC, risk of angry lethal fans

Exactly. You may also want to add Marvel to that as well. Heck, all comic book publishers. No one is safe.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Superguy0009e

I'm still singing kumbaya till ShadowHawk returns.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally West and The Creeper.

I pray they return.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jorgevy

@RedQueen: Im just gonna make my own and write characters that you won't like

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@Superguy0009e said:

I'm still singing kumbaya till ShadowHawk returns.

No Caption Provided

Me too!

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RedQueen

@Jorgevy said:

@RedQueen: Im just gonna make my own and write characters that you won't like

Well, you do that :p

But if you publish them, I'll know and then we're back to the *threaten all publishers who screw with characters/ -new rule- make characters I don't like*

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jorgevy

@RedQueen: crap. I give up. for now...

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RedQueen

@Jorgevy said:

@RedQueen: crap. I give up. for now...

Bwahahahaaaaaaaaaa!

@Rabbitearsblog: You can have your thread back now :D I won!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Twentyfive

Word. I was so excited to read Static in September, since I grew up with him since the 90's. Then he got the creative team that he had. I had to stay away. The wait for a new Static will be an excruciating one.

What I will do, is probably commission some Static drawings, since I have money to burn. Yeah. That is a good idea.

Does DC even bring back canceled titles?

Xanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Xanax

No one knows my favorite character, but anyways I wouldnt care cause I know it would never happen.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Twentyfive said:

Word. I was so excited to read Static in September, since I grew up with him since the 90's. Then he got the creative team that he had. I had to stay away. The wait for a new Static will be an excruciating one.

What I will do, is probably commission some Static drawings, since I have money to burn. Yeah. That is a good idea.

Does DC even bring back canceled titles?

That's what worries me whenever they bring back a character, but they have the worst creative team to do it. Sometimes, it's just hard for me to read a comic knowing that my favorite character is being written poorly.
Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Twentyfive

@Rabbitearsblog: What is worse? And this is what I feel is the saddening reality of being a fan of a character: Which is worse? A character dying, or being put in comic limbo?

I do suppose dying might be better, because of things that are occurring within the X-Men timeline with Nightcrawler, and Jean Grey, but some characters like Brother Voodoo, and others that get the shaft.... darn.

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MenaceForever2

With me being a Jean Grey, and Kitty Pride fan I have just remembered that Marvel never kills off there characters.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Twentyfive said:

@Rabbitearsblog: What is worse? And this is what I feel is the saddening reality of being a fan of a character: Which is worse? A character dying, or being put in comic limbo?

I do suppose dying might be better, because of things that are occurring within the X-Men timeline with Nightcrawler, and Jean Grey, but some characters like Brother Voodoo, and others that get the shaft.... darn.

I agree with this. Sometimes I think to myself also about what is the worst thing that can happen to a favorite character and we don't want the character to die or be put into a limbo because either way, they're going to be gone out of the stories for awhile.  I think that the writers could try to come up with inventive ways to make a character good without having to take them out of the picture all the time.
rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By rav4

Well, considering my favorite character currently is in limbo for at least the next few months (at least it certainly looks that way), I just try to hold out with some of my other favorite characters until she returns.

Death, on the other hand, usually results in a bout of comic depression, in which case I stop reading altogether for an indefinite period of time until I get over it. Depending on the character who dies, that could be a week, a month, a year, or never.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Blood1991

Patience, over this last decade all three of my favorite characters have seen hell and made come backs.

spidergirl2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By spidergirl2012

Drop them like a bad habit and pick up a new favorite. I dropped lady death for awhile and picked up Cassie Hack from Hack Slash. I'm liking Nancy, from Nancy in Hell though.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Blood1991 said:

Patience, over this last decade all three of my favorite characters have seen hell and made come backs.

I remember when Colossus was gone after the Legacy Virus event and I loved the way that Joss Whedon brought him back in such an awesome way. But now, Colossus is being written poorly lately and sometimes I wonder if he should go back to limbo until a better writer takes interest in his character.
Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Blood1991

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Blood1991 said:

I remember when Colossus was gone after the Legacy Virus event and I loved the way that Joss Whedon brought him back in such an awesome way. But now, Colossus is being written poorly lately and sometimes I wonder if he should go back to limbo until a better writer takes interest in his character.

I love Colossus and share in your concerns he seems a tad off in X-Men and he is all Phoenix'd out in other stories, but at least he is still a main focus. I think he will get some great character development after AVX, or at least we will get to see some other writers work on him.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Blood1991 said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Blood1991 said:

I love Colossus and share in your concerns he seems a tad off in X-Men and he is all Phoenix'd out in other stories, but at least he is still a main focus. I think he will get some great character development after AVX, or at least we will get to see some other writers work on him.

Yeah, I would love to see which writer would take up Colossus and write him better.
Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

Well I am a huge NOVA fan, so I bitch and moan until they come back, and in Nova's case hate anyone trying to take there place forever..Yes I am looking at you SAM!!

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I am dealing with this now due to the long missing Sentry and the anticipated entry of Miracle Man into the Marvel univere...sigh