What do I need to know before I read Final Crisis?

M3rlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By M3rlyn

I haven't read ANY DC comics, but I know a lot about Batman and kinda about the New Gods but not a lot. I only know that like Darkseid and Desaad live on Apokolips and that Darkseid killed his brother for the Omega Force or something. But that's it. I don't know anything though. What do I need to know? Or should I even read Final Crisis as my first comic? Because I still have a bunch of Batman comics to get. But I really want to read a comic with crossovers with lots of different people. Thanks!

nightwing444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You absolutely , most definitely should NOT read Final Crisis. To say it is not new reader friendly is a staggering understatement

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yeah, Final Crisis might be intimidating for a new reader. You should check out Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibuses and regular Batman trades first.

BB

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@billy_batson: Not really a prerequisite to read FC since none of them really deal with FC, other than perhaps to understand the characters a little better.

@m3rlyn: For a new reader of DC comics, Final Crisis is probably the deepest end you could choose to jump into. Partially because it's written by Grant Morrison, who's probably the weirdest writer in mainstream comics these days when he's allowed to. And partially because Final Crisis heavily leans on very old DC concepts of there being a slew of alternate dimensions with tweaked versions of the heroes of the main Earth.

But with that said, there is not really a New Gods or Batman story you need to read before reading Final Crisis. Batman was for the most part dealing with something else at the time and Final Crisis just sort of crept up on him without his book dealing with it till well after the event. The New Gods... Well, if anything it should be Death of the New Gods, but most people would advise against it (because it's considered terrible), but it does explain how/why FC happens.

If you want a crossover with plenty of characters in it, there is the Grandfather of Company Crossovers; Crisis on Infinite Earths and it's less challenging nephew Infinite Crisis.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Billy Batson

@outside_85:

True, I was just giving alternative suggestions.

BB

M3rlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Okay then. That what I was thinking. Final Crisis looked very confusing if you didn't know much. Thank you!